AHC: A Southern Unionist Museum and Memorial

Right around 100,000 men from Southern States fought for the Union Army during the American Civil War (not counting border states.) Which is an insanely huge number when you consider the Confederate Army never fielded more than 500,000 men at once and only a little over 1 Million altogether during the entire war. This deprived the South of much needed man power and these men thanks to local knowledge of the terrain were used in raiding activities, garrisoning liberated territory, and anti-guerilla activity. Sadly as far as I know there are no museums and very few memorials dedicated to this topic as I've always found it extremely interesting. The closest thing I can think of is the African American Civil War Memorial Museum as most of the United States Colored Troops (USCT) came from Southern States and there were ties between both them and the Underground Railroad and Southern Unionists. So your challenge is to create a museum and memorial solely dedicated to Southern Unionists and their roles before, during, and after the Civil War. The Museum can be built anytime after 1915 it can be either privately or publicly funded. What artifacts and items do you put on display? In which city do you place the Museum? What are some of your biggest and most popular exhibitions?

Kentucky definitely has monuments to the service of troops who were in the US Army. I think most state houses tend to have regimental flags and the like in their storage areas, and Tennessee in particular would have a good share of this, as after all, they outfitted the majority of Southern Unionist units of all Southern states. A few were raised locally for garrison duty in some of the others, particularly from contraband slaves prior to the establishment of USCT units, but of the others, most of the ones raised anyways were used for rear area duties anyways because of the high rates of desertion and defection (sometimes even at similar rates to "Galvanized Yankees", the prisoners sent to protect frontier settlements from Indian raids and killings)

There were exceptions of course, as I believe Sherman had an Alabama Unionist unit as his HQ guard on the March to the Sea. And prior to the secession of West Virginia from the rest of the state in 1863, the units raised there had important roles in Union efforts in the Shenandoah Valley and the campaigns of late 1862 in the Mid Atlantic.

But I don't think you are going to get a monument to Southern Unionists as a whole, because for one thing, most Civil war monuments are localized for state and locality, and for another, a lot of these units tended to be either rear echelon and unlikely to have seen much distinguishing action, or in the case of border state irregular troops, to have been far more likely to have committed war crimes. I think your best bet for this would perhaps be some kind of monument at the battlesites for the Franklin-Nashville campaign, where a good number of Tennessee Unionists were in Thomas's Army and performed well in battle.

Last edited: