AHC: 1991 August Coup blows up into 2nd Russian Civil War

In our world's August of 1991, a group of eight senior hardliners within the dying Soviet government conspired to arrest and overthrow Boris Yeltsin. Ultimately, this coup attempt was unsuccessful, and despite their dissatisfaction with Gorbachev and Yeltsin's reforms and delegation of power to the individual republics, this "Gang of Eight" was arrested (except for the one member who killed himself beforehand).

What would it have taken for this coup attempt to somewhat succeed and lead to civil war between the pro-new union forces and the hardliners? As early as 12 hours into the coup, Lithuania's president was encouraging peaceful resistance- how much worse would things have had to be for it turn to long-term armed resistance? I'd imagine things would start to look like the Chechen War across the satellite republics, but how bloody could this have gotten? And, on a terrifying note, how would Russia's nuclear arsenal have factored into a civil war?

I suspect the coup plotters would have discovered, rather as Honecker, Ceausescu and the other East European Communists came to realise, their "support" was a mile wide and an inch deep. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, protesting the overthrow of Gorbachev would have, I imagine, terrified the plotters into trying to use the Army to crack down only to find the Army wouldn't obey.

I suspect within a week to 10 days the coup would have collapsed anyway with the plotters either trying to leave the country or being arrested and Gorbachev/Yeltsin trying to ride the populist tiger.

I suspect the coup plotters would have discovered, rather as Honecker, Ceausescu and the other East European Communists came to realise, their "support" was a mile wide and an inch deep. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, protesting the overthrow of Gorbachev would have, I imagine, terrified the plotters into trying to use the Army to crack down only to find the Army wouldn't obey.

I suspect within a week to 10 days the coup would have collapsed anyway with the plotters either trying to leave the country or being arrested and Gorbachev/Yeltsin trying to ride the populist tiger.
What would've needed to happen in the lead-up to the coup for them to have the support necessary to hold onto the Kremlin for long enough for a civil war to break out?

The main question for such scenarios is always: who is supposed to fight a Civil war with who? Basically everyone who wanted a civil war in USSR were already either fighting or were preparing to do it by August 1991.

Coup failed precisely because nobody really wanted for the coup to succeed. So called 'hardliners' didn't have a power base anywhere mostly because they weren't actually 'hardliners', there was no hardliners in Gorbachev government. GKChP didn't want to abolish Gorbachev reforms and their opposition to Yeltsin was more along the lines of 'who is this upstart trying to go over our heads?' and had very little ideological cause.

Even KGB was essentially divided between formal Krychkov authority and Yeltsin supporters in the middle-to-high ranking leadership, while military was mostly refusing to follow any potentially criminal orders. Historically, any sort of civil war in Russia at that point was impossible. You need to change political landscape very significantly to kickstart anything. And by doing so you would probably prevent August coup from happening.

What would've needed to happen in the lead-up to the coup for them to have the support necessary to hold onto the Kremlin for long enough for a civil war to break out?

If the Soviet Union is doing well enough for the traditionalist/hardliner/whatever faction to have serious support, it's also doing well enough that Gorbachev isn't pushing through his massive reforms.

In our world's August of 1991, a group of eight senior hardliners within the dying Soviet government conspired to arrest and overthrow Boris Yeltsin. Ultimately, this coup attempt was unsuccessful, and despite their dissatisfaction with Gorbachev and Yeltsin's reforms and delegation of power to the individual republics, this "Gang of Eight" was arrested (except for the one member who killed himself beforehand).

What would it have taken for this coup attempt to somewhat succeed and lead to civil war between the pro-new union forces and the hardliners? As early as 12 hours into the coup, Lithuania's president was encouraging peaceful resistance- how much worse would things have had to be for it turn to long-term armed resistance? I'd imagine things would start to look like the Chechen War across the satellite republics, but how bloody could this have gotten? And, on a terrifying note, how would Russia's nuclear arsenal have factored into a civil war?
A 2nd Russian Civil War would get NATO involved in one way ore form as they do not want the Russian nukes to be used in a 2nd Russian Civil War ore fall into the wrong hands.

A real full scale civil war is only possible if Russia fights Ukraine everything else is peripheral conflicts