A Possible Cobb administration

Who would have been the best pick for CSA presdent ?

• Howell Cobb

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Jefferson Davis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robert Toombs

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Alexander Stephens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

JWQ

Gone Fishin'
Under a Hypothetical administration, what do you think president Cobb would have done differently if Jefferson Davis flatly refused to be president of the CSA or even had Davis not been elected president of the CSA. I personally think president Cobb and VP Robert Toombs would have been the best possible administration for the confederacy. Cobb was talented at administration abilities and an excellent treasure of the United States. Rober Toombs had experience in fiscal matters of the budget as a congressmen .

Under a Hypothetical administration, what do you think president Cobb would have done differently if Jefferson Davis flatly refused to be president of the CSA or even had Davis not been elected president of the CSA. I personally think president Cobb and VP Robert Toombs would have been the best possible administration for the confederacy. Cobb was talented at administration abilities and an excellent treasure of the United States. Rober Toombs had experience in fiscal matters of the budget as a congressmen .

wait until you see who I put in my timeline “Grey Revolution.”

Would Breckinridge have been an absolute impossibility? Granted, he may have drank himself to death before his six years was up, but a good bit of the south was ready to have him for President in 1860....

JWQ

Gone Fishin'
Would Breckinridge have been an absolute impossibility? Granted, he may have drank himself to death before his six years was up, but a good bit of the south was ready to have him for President in 1860....
I don’t remember Brackenridge being an alcoholic. Please may I have that source? Breckenridge there would not have been Civil War but he really can’t be president. If you make an alternative history about Breckenridge you should have that there is no Civil War because of it

Last edited:
The only issue with that is he’s a Kentuckian and Kentucky wasn’t in the Confederacy yet. Also I’ve never heard of him being an alcoholic.

Here's a couple c&p's from his Wiki entry:

.[138] In his official report, Bragg charged Breckinridge with drunkenness at Chattanooga and (retroactively) at Stones River. Historian Lowell H. Harrison noted that, while Breckinridge frequently drank whiskey, he was well known for being able to consume large amounts without getting drunk.

[208] In May 1875, he consulted surgeons Lewis Sayre and Samuel D. Gross, who concluded that his ill health was caused by cirrhosis brought on by injuries to his liver suffered during the war.

So, while drinking hard liquor wasn't at all uncommon at the time, Breckinridge's consumption of it was excessive enough to severely impact his health and contribute to his death within 10 yrs of the OTL end of the ACW... the stress of office may have been enough to do him in...

JWQ

Gone Fishin'
Here's a couple c&p's from his Wiki entry:

.[138] In his official report, Bragg charged Breckinridge with drunkenness at Chattanooga and (retroactively) at Stones River. Historian Lowell H. Harrison noted that, while Breckinridge frequently drank whiskey, he was well known for being able to consume large amounts without getting drunk.

[208] In May 1875, he consulted surgeons Lewis Sayre and Samuel D. Gross, who concluded that his ill health was caused by cirrhosis brought on by injuries to his liver suffered during the war.

So, while drinking hard liquor wasn't at all uncommon at the time, Breckinridge's consumption of it was excessive enough to severely impact his health and contribute to his death within 10 yrs of the OTL end of the ACW... the stress of office may have been enough to do him in...
Breckenridge died of 10 years earlier because of his wounds from the Civil War. The drinking alcohol won’t help him any bad it probably is not the reason why he died in the main reason anyway.

CSA President Cobb! Surprisingly this concept has been explored at least once before, in deep detail by economic historian Carole Scott back in 1997, on a Tripod website:

The broken link at the bottom is available here on Internet Archive.

Interestingly, she's also since published it as a full ebook here:

Here's a 2012 interview with her on Alternate History Weekly Update:

A review of it is here, on the same site:

And here's her website, with plenty of Civil War resources:

Last edited:

JWQ

Gone Fishin'
CSA President Cobb! Surprisingly this concept has been explored at least once before, in deep detail by economic historian Carole Scott back in 1997, on a Tripod website:

The broken link at the bottom is available here on Internet Archive.

Interestingly, she's also since published it as a full ebook here:

Here's a 2012 interview with her on Alternate History Weekly Update:

A review of it is here, on the same site:

And here's her website, with plenty of Civil War resources:

I’ve already read it and it’s a beautiful book! I already added parts of it in my alternative history timeline The second year

Last edited: