WI: Humans never crossed Beringia

Regarding the effects on Asia, I think they would be minimal. The settlement of the Americas involved a relatively small number of actual immigrants. There is no reason to believe that the millions of people subsequently born in the Americas would be born in Asia. I don't think population densities in NE Asia would be substantially higher. If there was any Pleistocene settlement from NW Europe (a very controversial and not well documented theory

The absence of humans in the Americas until the first millenia AD would have a major impact on the flora and fauna of the Americas, and major impacts on the food resources available to be transferred to the old world: staple crops such as maize, potatoes, tomatoes and, many varieties beans and squashs well as a few other luxuries and drugs such a chocolate would not exist. Population growth in Europe and elsewhere might be limited by this.

Eventually advanced cultures from the old world would reach the Americas, and they would probably find it more difficult to settle many areas without the benefit of all the native crops that evolved/were bred and the technologies associate with their propagation as well as resource and geographic information that could be extracted (willingly or otherwise) from the inhabitants. Pleistocene megafauna might (or might not) still be present and they would fairly quickly be hunted to extinction or near extinction for the same reasons it is believe PaleoIndians had a lot to do with this in OTL.

So you think that Asia might have a million or so more people? Not much more?

Also do you think that Vinland would have failed do to undomesticated plants

Lateknight

Banned
The immigrants would have to follow the coastal route.

Incidentally, I'm amazed that the peopling of the Americas is still an essentially contested concept. Personally I like the idea of 2 waves, 1 in the 28-22,00 years ago timeframe and another about 16-12,000 years ago.

I think they have found evidence of three distinct waves of settlement.

I think they have found evidence of three distinct waves of settlement.

At absolute minimum, you have 'most Indians', 'Athapaskans' and Inuit.

Actually 'Inuit' may be two waves, themselves, as there seems to be little genetic continuity between Dorset and Thule cultures.

Basically, to stop the settlement of the Americas from Asia, you need a geographical PoD, which, in turn may mean no horses or camels in the Old World, etc., etc.

Driftless

Donor
So we'll not have the various polar Siberian maritime cultures cross the Bering Sea? Inuit languages are found on both sides of that sea.

Yes, but given the circumpolar nature of their cultural adaptation, they might not spread to the south in the same way or in the same numbers that the Beringians did.

Does the idea that the proto-Inuit were maritime cultures predispose them to maintaining that settling pattern? Basically do they focus on continually moving down coast for expansion, rather than moving inland?

Heck, there's good reason to believe the initial English settlement of NE North America woould have failed without Native crops and crop knowledge. French colonization was based on trade for native resources. No natives no trade. Any expansion of Viking settlements (or others) would be much slower without Native resources and the knowledge of native crops provided by Indians.

Lateknight

Banned
Heck, there's good reason to believe the initial English settlement of NE North America woould have failed without Native crops and crop knowledge. French colonization was based on trade for native resources. No natives no trade. Any expansion of Viking settlements (or others) would be much slower without Native resources and the knowledge of native crops provided by Indians.

What native crops? Without natives you would only the much less productive wild cousins to domesticated crops.

What native crops? Without natives you would only the much less productive wild cousins to domesticated crops.

Exactly. I'm saying there would be no "native crops" and that attempts to raise European crops would be largely unsuccessful.

isn't the current theory that people came to the Americas by boat as well as the classic 'walked across Beringia"? So Siberians would still likely populate the New World, maybe just a bit slower?

At absolute minimum, you have 'most Indians', 'Athapaskans' and Inuit.

Actually 'Inuit' may be two waves, themselves, as there seems to be little genetic continuity between Dorset and Thule cultures.

Basically, to stop the settlement of the Americas from Asia, you need a geographical PoD, which, in turn may mean no horses or camels in the Old World, etc., etc.

Yes, the whole question does require a geologic PoD, most likely one that completely eliminated the "ice free corridors" in the Pleistocene that allowed Beringian hunters and gatherers to filter south exploiting continental game (large mammals) and plant resources. The initial Pleistocene/late Holocene settlement of the Americans in the 40,000-15,000 time frame was amazingly rapid and this occurred because people were essentially funneled south with a resource adaptation strategy (big game, and plant resources) that was based on a continental, not coastal specialization. There would still be the spread of circum-polar peoples and possibly other maritime people if the ice-free corridors never opened until around 9,000 BP, but they would arrive later and with a fully developed culture based on technologies and adaptations for the exploitation of maritime and polar resources. There is good reason to believe this would be a much more marginal and far less intrusive human presence on the Americas in general.

Norse colonization of empty Iceland succeeded, so colonization of empty Newfoundland also should. Altought if Northeastern Siberia is populated, crossing of Bering Strait is unlikely to be avoided.

So you think that Asia might have a million or so more people? Not much more?

More like less. Far less as in "no more" Your assumptions on population growth seem to rest on the notion that there is unlimited space to grow into and so an intital population of 70 people would grow to one or more million people.

In reality, there already were as many people as their hunting and foraging techniques could support in Asia, and the excess starved to death. Sometimes pushing other tribes or species off the ice. For generation upon generation.

If you want more people in Asia, you need to somehow postulate more food -more space, better hunting or fishing techniques, more edible plants, earlier advanced hunting techniques, etc.

I think Vinland would have been a roaring success! Absolutly massive. The Norse made good goes of far more marginal environments like Iceland or even Greenland. With no native domestic crops in sight. Give them the far more clement Vinland, with no competing humans, and a packed biosphere full of animals that had never seen humans and had no instinctive fear of man?

Not only would the settlers have prospered, the palce would have become a big draw for second and later sons in Scandinavia.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but: Would the Viking Age even be possible?

Without Native Americans working to clearing forests in the New World, there ought to be some climatic effects. Now, I'm no expert, but it seems possible that these effects might include the blutterflying of the Medieval Warm Period, which was probably a necessary precondition for the large Norse populations that exploded out of Scandinavia in the eighth century.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but: Would the Viking Age even be possible?

Without Native Americans working to clearing forests in the New World, there ought to be some climatic effects. Now, I'm no expert, but it seems possible that these effects might include the blutterflying of the Medieval Warm Period, which was probably a necessary precondition for the large Norse populations that exploded out of Scandinavia in the eighth century.

I'm surprised posters in this thread are even considering a Viking Age at all; I mean with a POD of ~18,000 ago, with humans never crossing into America (which ultimately means a totally altered Old World), the the history of the Earth as we know it wouldn't be possible at all (unless you intended to set up some of the largest butterfly nets known to man).

I'm surprised posters in this thread are even considering a Viking Age at all; I mean with a POD of ~18,000 ago, with humans never crossing into America (which ultimately means a totally altered Old World), the the history of the Earth as we know it wouldn't be possible at all (unless you intended to set up some of the largest butterfly nets known to man).

Right you are, but I assume they are happy enough to deploy such butterfly nets so that there is something to talk about (at least without just making stuff up out of nothing.) :)

I'm assuming this also effects the climate, given there's no human impact in the America's?

That is an unnecessary apostrophe. Americas is plural. America's indicates America possesses something.

Meanwhile, without a firmer grip on the true number of Native Americans there were pre-Columbian, and the exact impact on nature you're suggesting, it's rather impossible to detail. Would you be able to elaborate?

I don't think it'd change the population of Asia significantly.

I can't imagine why it would. The theories don't have massive migrations, but merely small bands moving over time.

Wouldn't America be then populated by ice age Europeans that crossed the North Atlantic ice shelf? Though their small numbers would certainly impact population spread and density.

I think the biggest impact is wether or not these guys have enough time to create the great civilizations that sprang up in Mexico and Peru, and how their absence impacts Spanish dominance.

Nah, that's just silly. Though no Skraelings...

Well, America would be colonized by Polynesians sooner or later.

Would make an interesting society.

Why? Did they OTL in any number? Or really at all?

Probably later -- they didn't even start settling Hawaii and Easter Island until about 500 AD; if the Vikings still show up to North America around 1000 AD, likely Polynesians will only have arrived on the west coast of the Americas a few centuries earlier, arriving at land truly untouched by man for thousands of miles.

Bingo. It took them long enough to island-hop that I don't see it being a major impact.

Would the megafauna still be around? We could have Vikings riding mammoths fighting sabretoothed tigers! Isn't there some evidence that the little ice age was caused by the reforestation of North America after European illnesses killed everyone? Would this have led to a generally cooler world?

That's... what?

Okay let's move on to talk about the effects of the climate change without humans in America.

A bit of digging shows me this old thread, which, while not precisely on the same topic, may shed some light on things (I'm granting for the sake of argument the idea that the Medieval Warm Period will be butterflied or lessened.)

Some highlights:

-In terms of habitability, North Africa is a big winner (wetter/better for agriculture) and North Europe is a big loser (colder/subject to more destructive weather events.)

-Population growth in China may be stunted some--the north will be colder and the south will have to deal with more extreme weather events

-The Polynesians may have a harder time of it: someone asserts the Pacific will be stormier/choppier

That's giving me some ideas, like climate wise, but there is still

How is history affected by a cooler Europe, Cooler Siberia and North China; a wetter North Africa, a wetter South US; and a crazier South Chinese climate?

Puzzle

Donor
That's... what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age#Decreased_human_populations

After checking the ever reliable wikipedia this turned up. I remembered reading it and thinking it was a weird effect, if it was one. When a lot of Native Americans died off due to plague, forests came back where they had previously been cut. This sucked carbon out of the atmosphere leading to cooling. If that was the case the forests never having been cut could lead to a lower global carbon level and a cooler earth.

It is my understanding that Tropical rain forests represent the most significant carbon sink, not temperate North American forests. There was only minimal deforestation in the Amazon basin prior to the arrival of Europeans and deforestation in the Maya lowlands was probably of generally limited duration during the Classic period. The extent and impact of native deforestation practices in North America is debatable. Since all American civilizations were pre-industrial and did not use carbon-rich fossil fuels I frankly doubt that they had much impact on global climate and temperature one way or the other.