Victoria II

Tellus

Banned
46622763.jpg

It worked! :) I used this hex editor

Had a little trouble to get it to work at first. Use the FIND command initially, not REPLACE. There are also several instances of USA, change only the first one!

Now Im sure some of the less tech-savvy will want to try this and wont be able to so Ill share my Austria EXE at least. I zipped it for size. If you really need another country and cant do the hex editing procedure after several tries, post here and Ill try to do check back later and do it for you.

Man, this game is incredible! The AI is so much better than vicky 1, since it starts wars just because it can :D

I cant wait to play the full game :D

Downloading the demo now (would've done it yesterday but I was out until 3am and just realized that the demo had been released when I got home last night). I'm also praying that it runs on my computer (Rome does, but EU3 doesn't?).

Tellus, thanks for doing the research so I don't have to, haha! I'll probably still play through the demo as the USA first, but after that I'm definitely going to have to hit up that method.

Tellus

Banned
I loved my first real game. I couldnt quite get into the US game so I played as Japan first.

I followed the path of the guy writing a Japanese AAR on the official forums: invade Korea early and modernize ASAP.

The invasion of Korea was difficult because of a large-scale Reactionary revolt at home caused by my liberal policies. Furthermore, just as I finished occupying Korea, a huge anarcho-liberal revolt across Korea nearly forced me to restart all my work. Fortunately, I was able to crush them and annex at the last minute, literally.

Once order had been restored to Japan, holding on to Korea was easy despite a couple smaller revolts. The revolt system is alot better; they can be so large as to truly threaten you at times.

In Europe, Prussia gained dominance...
V2_3.JPG

Whilst I achieved most of my goals at home, just as America was torn asunder by rebellion:
V2_4.JPG

And then I REALLY surpassed my expectations when I had this event fire, informing me I was now a great Power:
V2_5.JPG

This made me conclude that Military Score is a bit too easy to get for an unciv right now. Stockpiling a fortune was also rather easy, though I did luck out and get a mine of gold early on, which helped alot:
V2_6.JPG

I could not put my Civilization or Great Power rank to much use before the end. I colonized Southern Sakhalin and thats about it. I allied with China early on and could have made them part of my Sphere within 1 more year I think... that would have been something :) Not sure but the ending screen doesnt seem to represent my technologies and inventions properly. I had at least 4, including experimental railroads, by game end.

I really like the Politics screen.

WwVGI.png

The Technology screen is fairly nice as well.

EDIT: From the beginning of the game the United States can release the following nations:
* Cherokee (Arkansas)
* Canada (Maine)
* New England (Where do you think?)

Last edited:
Interesting (btw my first game of Victoria ever was as Japan, haha. Seems like it's easier to modernize in this game), so artillery is now a totally separate unit as opposed to an attachment. How does the new divisional structure work? Personally I think I like it more, but obviously I haven't played it yet. But I always felt a little weird in Victoria having my smallest stack be 10K soldiers...

Tellus

Banned
Interesting (btw my first game of Victoria ever was as Japan, haha. Seems like it's easier to modernize in this game), so artillery is now a totally separate unit as opposed to an attachment. How does the new divisional structure work? Personally I think I like it more, but obviously I haven't played it yet. But I always felt a little weird in Victoria having my smallest stack be 10K soldiers...

Japan's modernization event is much easier than any other unciv's, yeah. Still, I suspect that its more attainable for everyone now, at least as long as they keep military score this easy to build up. Also, Unciv status sucks alot less than it did in Vicky 1. You can be unciv and still play a somewhat satisfying game regardless now.

Divisional structure is better IMO, and quite simple. Everything comes in slices of 3,000 men so if you want a nice and well balanced division, you take 3 Infantry, add 1 Cavalry, 1 Dragoon and 1 Artillery units, totalling 18,000 men, slap a decent General on it, and its ready for war. No overly complicated chains of command and no ahistorical amount of troops.

Only issue visible there for me is that battles are a bit too bloody. Soldier POPs are easily decimated. Im talking 125,000 deaths in a 4-months-long Verdun-style stalemate in Bavaria in 1841. Seems a bit too harsh, but time will tell, we can expect patches 1 and 2 to tweak such things quite a bit.

I like how you're so impatient you can't even wait three more days before you hack the exe. ;)

Thank you for the compliment. :D

Oh my god, that's annoying. The download + installation just finished... right as I have to leave, hahaha! Well, I'll be back to play it in a few hours. I swear it's teasing me!

Last edited:
It worked! :) I used this hex editor

Had a little trouble to get it to work at first. Use the FIND command initially, not REPLACE. There are also several instances of USA, change only the first one!

Now Im sure some of the less tech-savvy will want to try this and wont be able to so Ill share my Austria EXE at least. I zipped it for size. If you really need another country and cant do the hex editing procedure after several tries, post here and Ill try to do check back later and do it for you.

Haha. That's great. Sadly, I don't really care about who I'm playing as at this point, I just want to be able to go more than 15 years. :)

Oh, that reminds me to ask: Does the Ottoman Empire have more European cores this time around? Iirc, in Vicky 1 they didn't have any cores beyond Thrace, and that just bothered me.

I'll have to check.

As I loved the original Victoria, I'd love to get into this... provided it doesn't freeze for five minutes every in-game day (increasing with each day) like HOI3 does.

Tellus

Banned
Performance is excellent for me, and my computer is a few years old.

6600 Intel dual core clocked at 3.55ghz with 4 gigs of ram and a 9800gtx+. On Windows XP.

I just got my ass handed to me by Prussia's doomstacks again. They keep throwing stuff at me, but thats mainly because they mobilized and I didnt want to, I think.

I'll try taking Alsace-Lorraine from France instead and competing for Italian hegemony... THEN Ill turn around and wack Prussia. Thats the plan anyway, here goes nothing try #2.

Tellus

Banned
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, I've learned you cant hope to invade a Great Power with regular troops and hope to not be crushed in a sea of conscripts.

V2_1.JPG

My next objective will be a bit more realistic. I'm going to test and see if the Ottoman Empire can re-annex Egypt in one war. :)

Ugh. Having trouble installing and playing. I desperately need to switch back from Windows 7 to Windows XP, but I can't do that for another couple of weeks.