Victoria II

The bizarre thing I had with revolutions was this one time as the United States where I was playing "pacifist," i.e. I didn't do Manifest Destiny and only fought the CSA. Naturally I disbanded my army, but bizarrely this made revolts ridiculously frequent, as if everyone in the country was just raring to install a dictator in the White House and was only held back by the U.S. Army.

There was also the time I played a Russia game where I didn't reform or barely reformed into the 20th century...because there wasn't any support for reform, since I was running the country so well and beating up everybody. I shattered Prussia, destroyed the Ottomans and Austria, and had a massive sphere of influence and puppets extending over most of Eastern and Central Europe...fun times...anyway, I didn't suffer any serious revolts that I can recall until the 1920s or something like that...

The bizarre thing I had with revolutions was this one time as the United States where I was playing "pacifist," i.e. I didn't do Manifest Destiny and only fought the CSA. Naturally I disbanded my army, but bizarrely this made revolts ridiculously frequent, as if everyone in the country was just raring to install a dictator in the White House and was only held back by the U.S. Army.

There was also the time I played a Russia game where I didn't reform or barely reformed into the 20th century...because there wasn't any support for reform, since I was running the country so well and beating up everybody. I shattered Prussia, destroyed the Ottomans and Austria, and had a massive sphere of influence and puppets extending over most of Eastern and Central Europe...fun times...anyway, I didn't suffer any serious revolts that I can recall until the 1920s or something like that...
My fun revolution story is my United Netherlands where I had to ship in Indonesians because I couldn't trust the Dutch to defend my regime. I believe I was Anarcho-Liberal dictatorship or such.

I've extended my games until like 1991, but never really get past the second great war around the 20s-30s. Only have revolutions when my country struggles in wars or I am trying to massively force my government. Makes me think that the people who do have constant rebellions are trying to min-max/play optimally, so they NEED to be a certain government etc. Meanwhile I tend to like trying to RP as whichever party is in power, and make actions based on what their policies are.

So something I am curious about is if Victoria's 3 was to happen. What are some things that you would like to see?

For me I want better governments and politics. What I mean by this is I want to have different term limits for different nations. I want there to be a cabinet and leader for the different political parties, So that the famous statesmen of the era can be represented IG. The other thing is I want the social movements to be far better represented IG. So things like Abolitionism, Women's suffrage, Temperance Movement, and the Rise of Trade Unionism just to name a few.

There should also be something to reflect that in 1836, what a number of ideologies are isn't set in stone. Not sure how to represent this but I recall reading on the PDX forums that someone suggested doing something similar to Protestant church reforms for ideologies, but I am not sure. Still representing that what liberal meant in 1836 vs 1936 and how things could go rather differently, is something I would love to see.

So thoughts on my ideas and what would you like to see?
I do hope they keep and/or expand on the economic model of the game. That was like the one thing that made it unike compared to hoi 3 and eu3.
But considering how badly they managed to scure up hoi4 (and to a lesser extent eu4) I'm really not confident in victory 2 economic system surviving in Victoria 3.

I do hope they keep and/or expand on the economic model of the game. That was like the one thing that made it unike compared to hoi 3 and eu3.
But considering how badly they managed to scure up hoi4 (and to a lesser extent eu4) I'm really not confident in victory 2 economic system surviving in Victoria 3.
Yes, I did not like EUIV much at all. The changes to the interactions of the nations and stability/leveling of tech make it irritating and not enjoyable, especially the crown lands. I have never been able to play HoI, however. Vicky 3 better be good and have a little more sandboxy. I feel trapped and nationally in ruts. I know this is kinda true of the time period, I just wish I could move the nations around a little more than is evident. Maybe make a mod/alternative mode of play? The game can be kinda constraining as is and I want to be able to do more.

I hope Vic3 fixes up some of the stuff on the colonial side of things, like I shouldn't have to install a mod to add African states to the game. Countries also shouldn't randomly release most of their colonial empire just to free up colonial power for a race for a single colonial state (not sure how common this is, but I've seen it enough to bother me). The AI needs to better manage rebellions in the colonies, and colonies should break away if they've been occupied by rebels for long enough, regardless of the type of rebellion (I had a game where British India was fully occupied by British Communists for 40 years straight, and it only ended because the UK went to war with me [Russia] and I cleared them out so as to carpet siege India).

Deleted member 78540

Is there a way I can reconquer all of the USA as the UK in HPM or HFM without conquering province by province

I hope Vic3 fixes up some of the stuff on the colonial side of things, like I shouldn't have to install a mod to add African states to the game. Countries also shouldn't randomly release most of their colonial empire just to free up colonial power for a race for a single colonial state (not sure how common this is, but I've seen it enough to bother me). The AI needs to better manage rebellions in the colonies, and colonies should break away if they've been occupied by rebels for long enough, regardless of the type of rebellion (I had a game where British India was fully occupied by British Communists for 40 years straight, and it only ended because the UK went to war with me [Russia] and I cleared them out so as to carpet siege India).
A mod to ad African States? Which are you refering to?

They don't usually release most of their colonial empire in my experiences, but maybe that's because I've modified my game a bit.

My games the AI tends to mostly manage rebellions well, except if they have some massive war going on. And I've had colonies (and other nations) break away after being occupied by Rebels, such as Communists.

Are you playing it just completely pure and unmodded?

A mod to ad African States? Which are you refering to?
PDM, back when it was still getting updated.

Are you playing it just completely pure and unmodded?
I prefered to play with PDM, but these examples are all from unmodded Vic2 (with both expansions) as I figure I may as well focus on what Paradox actually produced when discussing what I'd like them to do better next time.

Last edited:
rk5HLT9.png

Something I'd never noticed before- at the start of the game in HPM, a majority of American slaves support remaining enslaved!

Something I'd never noticed before- at the start of the game in HPM, a majority of American slaves support remaining enslaved!
That's not quite what that's saying. "Dominant issue" means exactly that--the foremost issue in their mind. Thus, just because a pop doesn't have outlaw slavery as their dominant issue doesn't mean that they are for the retention of slavery.

That's not quite what that's saying. "Dominant issue" means exactly that--the foremost issue in their mind. Thus, just because a pop doesn't have outlaw slavery as their dominant issue doesn't mean that they are for the retention of slavery.

tbf 26% are going for "slavery allowed"

The dominant issues are divided into different positions pops can take on each issue. If pops have a specific policy as their top issue then they support that policy. So 100% of slave pops have slavery as their top issue and 55% take sides that would keep them enslaved.

The dominant issues are divided into different positions pops can take on each issue. If pops have a specific policy as their top issue then they support that policy. So 100% of slave pops have slavery as their top issue and 55% take sides that would keep them enslaved.
No...? 26.2% of slaves seem to have the dominant issue of "Freedom of Worship," which has nothing to do with slavery. Of the slaves who do have a dominant issue involving slavery, roughly two-thirds oppose slavery and one-third is in favor...which is still pretty crazy, but far from "a majority supports slavery".

No...? 26.2% of slaves seem to have the dominant issue of "Freedom of Worship," which has nothing to do with slavery. Of the slaves who do have a dominant issue involving slavery, roughly two-thirds oppose slavery and one-third is in favor...which is still pretty crazy, but far from "a majority supports slavery".
That's "Freedom of Womb", a historical policy where no one can be born into slavery but current slaves remain in bondage.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I'm just wondering if you guys know of a mod that would allow me to edit map
I once edited the map files to create a sea passage through Africa from the North to Lake Chad, then out to the East into the Indian Ocean. That worked fine, ships could take those routes. What I never did get to work was making the newly coastal provinces into ones where you could build ships and ports

Last edited: