Victoria II

Fascinating game, if you don't mind, what exactly is Uruguay's population? I'm interesting in finding the full potential of immigration as I once gained a city the size of NYC in Chihuahua, a place that looks like this.

Just checked, and they had 3.5 million people as of 1897, with Montevideo slightly outshining NYC at that point. And if you think having a city the size of NYC in Chihuahua is crazy, I had over 200,000 people living in Sitka!

I'll post a full writeup and screenshots once I finish the game. Up to 1916 now, and it looks like the rest will be pretty stable (or at least I've finished all my foreign policy goals).

Just checked, and they had 3.5 million people as of 1897, with Montevideo slightly outshining NYC at that point. And if you think having a city the size of NYC in Chihuahua is crazy, I had over 200,000 people living in Sitka!

I'll post a full writeup and screenshots once I finish the game. Up to 1916 now, and it looks like the rest will be pretty stable (or at least I've finished all my foreign policy goals).

Were they all Jewish?

Sadly, they're all Russian Orthodox. Alaska and the Yukon are really, really Russian here.

Were you able to colonize any of the Pacific Northwest?

Also, Tibet's new coastline:
screenshot20141119at.png

Last edited:
Ugh, I had a great game going as Greece, I forgot though that the game starts slowing to a crawl around the turn of the century though. I don't want to say it ruined my night because that sounds sad and pathetic but it ruined my night.

Ugh, I had a great game going as Greece, I forgot though that the game starts slowing to a crawl around the turn of the century though. I don't want to say it ruined my night because that sounds sad and pathetic but it ruined my night.

Is your PC slowing down? it helps to turn off those animated waves in the ocean.

Is your PC slowing down? it helps to turn off those animated waves in the ocean.
Yeah, it just gets to the point where it starts..stuttering I guess you could call it. I'll move the mouse and it will move where I want it to then freeze then unfreeze and so on. I'll have to try that. It's not too big of a deal for me thankfully since I rarely play up until the turn of the century. I've heard something about a 2gb fix that both supposedly works for this issue and supposedly doesn't work for this issue, so I'll end up using that too unless someone tells me not to bother before I get around to it.

Huh. I’m playing Victoria Ultimate and three centuries in I’m not slowing down at all.

Of course, Vanilla DOES slow down long before 1900, so whoever wrote Ultimate apparently needs to be hired by Paradox...

I have some great screenshots from this game, but Windows 10 partitions can’t be read from OS X and I’m not booting over there right now. Here’s a hint: It’s the 1870s and the Holy Roman Empire is unifying northern Germany, France has taken the northern half of Spain, cored it, and is nearly done converting everyone to French, and Sicily is split. Between Sicily. And Two Sicilies.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with the game. The recommended solution on paradox plaza was to copy the whole game from steam to the hard drive proper. Seems to work perfectly, but the saved games didn't like this change, and kept crashing while loading. Back to 1836!

So, I'm up to 1842, and there have been some subtle changes, but nowt Earth shattering so far. Once more, I dove into Tunisia straight off the bat, and Paris went for Tlemcen at the same time.

I did have more details in a great big post, but I fancy having a go at an in context AAR. It might get my creative juices flowing. If there's any interest, I might manage something this evening.
Sorry for quoting myself, but now that I'm back from my fishing trip, I wondered if anybody fancied seeing some of the AAR I mentioned? I've got one and a half posts written up, if anybody wants a butchers...

Where'd you post it?
At present, they're on Microsoft Word on my laptop. I thought I'd post them to this thread at first, as I don't really know where it would fit on the forum.

I thought that, if people liked the writing, and I get into a good game, then I can spin it off into its own thread if necessary. The first few posts will be sadly lacking in maps, because I've reached about 1843 without taking any screenshots at present.

Apologies for the double post. Without further ado, I'll present the first of what may be an occasional series in this thread, with the provisional title "Letters from the Two Sicilies." Feel free to ask questions, throw rotten tomatoes, heckle, or anything else. this first letter is essentially just introducing our narrator, and giving the briefest glimpse into the opening moves of the game.

Naples, 18th February, 1836
My Dear Friend,
I’m afraid that this letter brings bad news: your Godson has joined the army. Indeed; the army. Such a blow for me to withstand, but he would not be swayed by my scorn for the footslogging infantry. When I gathered the boy was serious, I made enquiries with friends. Sometimes, all it takes is the right word in the right ear. An English merchant with a son wanting a commission may have had limited luck. When said English merchant was formerly a Commander in His Britannic Majesty’s Navy, the same Commander who helped take several prominent Neapolitans out to Sicily just before the Corsican Ogre arrived in this fair city, then more doors open for a fellow. Obviously many of those Neapolitans I now count as personal friends, and so a commission with a regiment of good repute was found with some haste. I suspect that Charles, in his naivety, was hoping for The Guards, but he seems to be happy in the regiment he finds himself in.
Politics continues in Naples, as it always does. Many feared that King Ferdinand would be like his late father: a great hope to the liberal cause as Duke of Calabria, yet an unapologetic reactionary once crowned. So far, these fears have failed to come to pass. There were concerns that His Majesty was encouraging an increase in clergymen in the realm in an effort to bolster the forces of reaction. This fear seems to be misplaced, and the priests seem to be more concerned with the education of the masses than teaching that liberalism is a sin. In fact, King Ferdinand has surprised the Liberals with a recent reform: there was discussion regarding some members of the community not born in the Kingdom. The Liberals were campaigning for these folk – or at least the Catholics amongst them – to be granted limited citizenship rights. They were heavily outnumbered in both the upper and lower chambers in this debate, but the King simply declared that these aliens were to enjoy all the same rights and freedoms of the native citizens. Whether more reforms are in the offing, my sources are unable to tell. The one thing the people seem to be wanting more than any other is a constitution. When discussion turns to exactly what rights and privileges are to be written into this constitution, the unanimity seems to break down. There are as many ideas as there are voices clamouring for a constitution. I can’t help fearing that if the mob are unhappy with the result, any constitution may be worse than none at all.
Do tell me all your news. Do you still labour for John Company, despite my efforts to get you away from the leeches of East India House? Take my advice, and be done with them. Give my regards to the children, and the fellows in the Office.
I remain your humble and obedient servant,

William Robertson, Esq

Apologies for the double post. Without further ado, I'll present the first of what may be an occasional series in this thread, with the provisional title "Letters from the Two Sicilies." Feel free to ask questions, throw rotten tomatoes, heckle, or anything else. this first letter is essentially just introducing our narrator, and giving the briefest glimpse into the opening moves of the game.

You're off to an interesting start.

Played a game as the USA. 10% of the country was Orthodox (with Orthodox pluralities in Montana and Wisconsin) by the Civil War thanks to a huge civil war in Russia (first between the government and Jacobins, then between the liberal government and reactionaries)

You're off to an interesting start.
Thanks. The first few letters will be every two years, mainly because i have no maps or screenshots, and am relying on memory. Once we reach the mid 1840's (where the game currently is), I will likely go to an annual letter.

Sticking our narrator's firstborn into the army is an attempt to give us some firsthand information about some of the conflicts the Sicilians find themselves in, but I need to find a different style to the main writer if I'm going to include extracts from our young officer's letters home...