To whom did Alsace-Lorraine rightfully belong in 1870?

To whom did Alsace-Lorraine rightfully belong in 1870?

• France

Votes: 185 31.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 142 23.9%
  • Both (part to each)

Votes: 192 32.4%
  • Some other nation

Votes: 11 1.9%
  • It's a distinct enough region to merit its own State

Votes: 63 10.6%

• Total voters
Well, your objection chances nothing to the conclusion.

A name chosen by a ruler does not create a non-existing reality.

The empire of the german nation is something different from Germany. It's is exactly like the merovingians and the carolingians calling the territories they ruled the kingdom of the franks. This name did not automatically turn the saxons or the aquitanians into franks.
The fact that there was a british empire that called itself the "british empire" extending over 30% of the earth did not make all the people of this empire british.

Alsacian was a specific dialect. It was a germanic dialect as there were other germanic dialects. English, danish and dutch are specific germanic dialects too.

You state that Siwtzerland was no longer part of the HRE. You are right.

Alsace was not either. The HRE had ceased existing for more than 60 years in 1870/71. It had been replaced by a germanic confederacy in 1814 that did not extend to Alsace. And this confederacy had been dissolved and replaced in 1867 by a new northern Germany confederacy.

This confederacy had no rightful claim to Alsace.
No more does present day Russia has any rightful claim to Lithuania that was a part of the USSR.
No more does present day France has any rightful claim to parts of Belgium, although Flanders was a part of the kingdom of France for almost 7 centuries.

So the scientific conclusion about it is not that there is corelation between language and nation but only that there can be coincidence between language and nation.

The rest is politics.

Perkeo

Banned

To your conclusion.

The empire of the german nation is something different from Germany. It's is exactly like the merovingians and the carolingians calling the territories they ruled the kingdom of the franks. This name did not automatically turn the saxons or the aquitanians into franks.
The fact that there was a british empire that called itself the "british empire" extending over 30% of the earth did not make all the people of this empire british.

The difference is: In the German federation (and also the late HRE), it was the rulers who prevented the unification and the bourgeois and common people who wanted it, not vice-versa.

Besides, your argument goes both ways: The Alsacians and Lorrains don't become French just because their ruler told them to.

Alsacian was a specific dialect. It was a germanic dialect as there were other germanic dialects. English, danish and dutch are specific germanic dialects too.

I speak both French and German well enough to know where there is a linguistic boundary and where there is none.

Alsace was not either. The HRE had ceased existing for more than 60 years in 1870/71. It had been replaced by a germanic confederacy in 1814 that did not extend to Alsace. And this confederacy had been dissolved and replaced in 1867 by a new northern Germany confederacy.

No more does present day Russia has any rightful claim to Lithuania that was a part of the USSR.
No more does present day France has any rightful claim to parts of Belgium, although Flanders was a part of the kingdom of France for almost 7 centuries.

And - by the impartial application of your logic - no more than France had any rightful claim to Alsace in 1918. Somehow, the French failed to comply with that logic.

So the scientific conclusion about it is not that there is corelation between language and nation but only that there can be coincidence between language and nation.

The rest is politics.

So you are telling me that it is pure coincidence when
- a Russian speaks Russian/a Russian native speaker is in fact a Russian,
- an Italian speaks Italian/an Italian native speaker is in fact an Italian,
- a Japanese speaks Japanese/a Japanese native speaker is in fact a Japanese???
Or are you saying those examples are rare exceptions?

Even at the cost of repeating myself - I am NOT saying the Annexation of Alsace-Lorraine was right. I am just annoyed by the supposed implicitness of the assertion that it wasn't.

The Second French Empire or Third French Republic were something different from France, too. So?

Alsatian was a specific dialect. It was a germanic dialect as there were other germanic dialects. English, danish and dutch are specific germanic dialects too.

Neither did the Kingdom of France in 1648. (I thought you said that the idea of "rightful claim" was nonsense, anyway.)
On the other hand, if France's implicitly-'rightful' claim is based on conquest and annexation, then Germany's conquest and annexation in 1871 are equally valid.

And on "ceasing to exist":
The kingdom of France annexed Alsace and Lorraine.
But the First Republic wasn't the kingdom of France, which had ceased to exist.
The First Empire wasn't the First Republic, which had ceased to exist.
The Second Republic wasn't the First Empire, which had ceased to exist.
The Second Empire wasn't the Second Republic, which had ceased to exist.

Yet presumably the Second Empire had a rightful claim to Alsace or Lorraine, seized three successive polities previously?

Good to hear. Means nothing.

I'm really not sure what you think you have proven with any of this.

By the way, Free Imperial Cities (such as those in Alsace and Lorraine) were integral parts of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, they were just subordinated directly to the Emperor, not through any intermediate prince. They were not utterly unattached cities up for grabs to the first comer. Just thought you ought to know.

Last edited:
@Matteo : In the case of French claims to parts of Belgium, it is true that as long as Belgium exists, any possible French claims are worthless. However, if Flanders can exist on their own economically, Wallonia cannot. Therefore, the Wallonians might ask for French intervention in the case of a Belgian crumble.

My point is if you consider metropolitan France, not its colonies (and Algeria, although it was deemed mainland by the French in the XXth century, was actually a colony) it was a nation-state in 1870. It didn"t have lands that it considered rightfully its outside its borders - any other claims were weak or opportunist.
However, the loss of Alsace-Lorraine was considered a humiliation because even after Napoleon I's final defeats and since France had known a great economic boom under Napoleon III, it could be defeated on its own land and be forced to lose some of its lands. Actually, the pure defeat could've brought some animosity between France and Germany, but nothing good diplomacy couldn't have erased. Meanwhile, the loss of Alsace-Lorraine couldn't be erased diplomatically speaking.
Meanwhile, World War One was seen by the French merely as an occasion to get back Alsace-Lorraine, at first. The complete wrecking of their industry (fights had taken place in all of France's northern third) made necessary to rebuild it to ask for large reparations from Germany, else a possibly revanchist Germany could seize the opportunity to defeat a weakened France.

Matteo, I have a simple question:

In, let us say, the year 1681, did France have any legitimate claim over the various bits that people now regard as comprising Alsace? If so, what was the basis of the claim?

It's quite funny you suppose I have intentions which you deny having as far as you are personnally concerned.

I hardly see what I can add since you seem (my perception may be wrong but it's what I perceive) to justify the very specific german ideology that implied that the language made the nation.

The difference is: In the German federation (and also the late HRE), it was the rulers who prevented the unification and the bourgeois and common people who wanted it, not vice-versa.

Besides, your argument goes both ways: The Alsacians and Lorrains don't become French just because their ruler told them to.

You even go as far as saying that the common people wanted german unification, which was never proven. Your underlying idea seems in fact to be that those who did not even care about the matter actually wanted unconciously were in favour of german unification. This is a nice peace of classic national/nationalist propaganda but this is not historical truth.

Some politicians and somme elite people (scholars, ...etc) and some common people wanted unification. They conceived all the intellectual, cultural, historical and philosophical background to promote their view and they finally were able to have their wish prevail.

Quite comparable things occured in Italy. It has already been established long ago that, contrary to the victorian cartoon, most people in central and southern Italy were not in favour of the political unification of Italy. Most did not care or did not want. And most faced ruin because of the economic disruption that unification caused in favor of the north.

I speak both French and German well enough to know where there is a linguistic boundary and where there is none

Yes, but unchaining syllogisms does not make a truth.

You are comparing 2 very situations separated by 200 years. In the late 17th century, most people in the german space spoke germanic dialects, not standard german. Standard german only began spreading one century later and started being dominant in the 19th century. And you are doing as if late 17th Germany was late 19th century Germany to back the anachronic arguments used by late 19th century german nationalists to justify their ambitions.

Since you speak german well enough, you maybe also know today's Germany well enough to be aware that there are different pronounciations of standard german depending on regions of Germany. And those different pronounciations are sometimes important enough to have some germans have light trouble understand parts of what some other germans say.

You also know that there can be very quite similar pronounciations in german spoken in Holstein and in danish.

And - by the impartial application of your logic - no more than France had any rightful claim to Alsace in 1918. Somehow, the French failed to comply with that logic.

If you read my previous posts, you have already noticed that I said that the notion of rightful claims for setting political frontiers was a nonsense. There is no rightfulness because what is "legal" is what one is able to have prevail by force. The stronger forces the weaker to accept his claim and has him sign a treaty that makes this claim legal.

France was not rightful when it annexed alsacian cities and counties. No more than Prussia and the new german empire when they took Alsace and parts of Lorraine away from France.

Any kind of justification is biased and bad faith.

Now, if you go to facts. The alsacians, being in a quite centralized country, were progressively frenchified, this process being furthered by the french revolution that created a civic nation.

Civic nations and civic countries are the dominant model. So when Germany and Prussia took Alsace and a part of Lorraine a way from France, they acted in accordance with the laws of war.
But they made a fault on several points of view :
- they did not take into account the fact that that it was no longer the age of feudality and localism but the age of nations and nationalisms. And they snatched away lands and people that had become parts of the french nation.
- they did not take into account the fact that this amputation of a part of France would prevent reconciliation and make France a permanent enemy and threat.

The way german of acting on point 1 was anachronic. In the age of nations and nationalisms, one should no longer take people away because they are part of a self-concious enough nation so that it will create trouble and be cause for conflicts and wars.

The consequence of this anachronic view was drawn after WWII : you can take territories away from defeated enemies, but you don't force their population to change national allegiance. You force populations to move.

So you are telling me that it is pure coincidence when
- a Russian speaks Russian/a Russian native speaker is in fact a Russian,
- an Italian speaks Italian/an Italian native speaker is in fact an Italian,
- a Japanese speaks Japanese/a Japanese native speaker is in fact a Japanese???
Or are you saying those examples are rare exceptions?

Even at the cost of repeating myself - I am NOT saying the Annexation of Alsace-Lorraine was right. I am just annoyed by the supposed implicitness of the assertion that it wasn't.

You seem to like over-simplifying and to use manichean descriptions to reach Salomon judgments' like conclusions.
The reality is shaded and contradictory.

There are people in Russia who speak russian but whose mother tongue is not russian. And some of them are very happy to be part of the russian federation that is in fact an empire, while others would like to be independant from Russia.

Force can create legal realities.

Force can also create national realities in the long run. The fact that today's italians feel italian and part of the same nation doest not imply that it was the case 155 years ago when the country was united by military conquest by the kingdom of Piedmont.

Same for France.

Nations and countries are not eternal. They have a beginning and sometimes they have an end. Local or regional separatist movements appear in some countries.

If Germany had been able to retain Alsace for a longer time, it may well have ended in the definitive severance of links between Alsace and alsacians and the french nation.

But nothing else than the laws of war could could make rightful the annexation of a part of the french nation and territory by the new german empire. Alsacians were not germans snatched away from the german nation.

Formally, the french were not rightful in taking back Alsace-Lorraine. They had it only because they won WWI. But they had a moral ground for wanting to take it back in the age of nations and nationalisms.

For the same reason, the british and the americans did not back the french demand to have Rhineland snatched away from germany.

On which I think they were morally right given than rhinelanders were germans and felt so.
And on which I also think they made a tragic mistake on the strategic side of the settlement of the war : Germany was far too powerful and germany in fact came out of WWI in relative better shape than the allies because most destructions occured on the allies territories.
After WWII, they did not repeat the same mistake.

The Second French Empire or Third French Republic were something different from France, too. So?

Neither did the Kingdom of France in 1648. (I thought you said that the idea of "rightful claim" was nonsense, anyway.)
On the other hand, if France's implicitly-'rightful' claim is based on conquest and annexation, then Germany's conquest and annexation in 1871 are equally valid.

And on "ceasing to exist":
The kingdom of France annexed Alsace and Lorraine.
But the First Republic wasn't the kingdom of France, which had ceased to exist.
The First Empire wasn't the First Republic, which had ceased to exist.
The Second Republic wasn't the First Empire, which had ceased to exist.
The Second Empire wasn't the Second Republic, which had ceased to exist.

Yet presumably the Second Empire had a rightful claim to Alsace or Lorraine, seized three successive polities previously?

Talli, my previous answer already gives answers to some of your points.

But please, don't play bad faith dialectics.

Maybe you are german or you understand german. If so, you know how France is called in german : Frankreich, whatever the political regime.

Changing the constitution, for which France holds the world record, does not mean changing the State.

There was an absolute continuity of the french State, to speak in international law terms.

Same thing for England under the regime of the Commonwealth. Changing the regime is not changing the State.

While the USSR was dissolved.
The HRE was dissolved, besides it was made of several kingdoms, several duchies and many small principalities and free towns that were sovereign. Germany was a geographic expression and an emerging diverse cultural reality.
Same thing for Italy that had no existence as a State before Piedmont unified it by conquest.

Now, to put it plainly, I feel quite unconfortable reading your argument that seem to be the anachronic expression of a german nationalist revengist.

Quite the same as if a frenchman, 250 years later, still argued against the british that they unrightfully stole Canada and all the territories west of the appalachians.

Please, AH is not the place to have such a kind of sterile and revengist debates.

The HRE was dissolved, besides it was made of several kingdoms, several duchies and many small principalities and free towns that were sovereign. Germany was a geographic expression and an emerging diverse cultural reality.
Same thing for Italy that had no existence as a State before Piedmont unified it by conquest.

I disagree. The German Bund was a continuation of the HRE in all but name. An assembly of states that are nominally part of a larger whole, namely Germany. This larger whole wasn't very important, but I'd say the Bund has a good claim to being a continuation of said larger whole (with a confederation-of-the-rhine interlude).

The Bund, or the Germans, also tried more unification during 1848.

Sure, Germany wasn't a sovereign state as such, before the Franco-Prussian War, but it certainly was something all the way from ~1500 (whenever Italy was lost-enough; the Dutch/Swiss/Elzass losses were really more a shrinking of Germany, but the German-Italian realm of Barbarossa wasn't *just* Germany, while the HRE that dissolved in 1800-something was) to 1871.

Perkeo

Banned
It's quite funny you suppose I have intentions which you deny having as far as you are personnally concerned.

I neither speculated about your intensions, nor did I make any statement about mine.

I hardly see what I can add since you seem (my perception may be wrong but it's what I perceive) to justify the very specific german ideology that implied that the language made the nation.

I think I have clearly stated the difference between my opinion and your perception of it. Unfortunately I just can write. The reading is your job.

You even go as far as saying that the common people wanted german unification, which was never proven. Your underlying idea seems in fact to be that those who did not even care about the matter actually wanted unconciously were in favour of german unification. This is a nice peace of classic national/nationalist propaganda but this is not historical truth.

I even go as far as saying the German tried - albeit unsuccessfully - to unite earlier, but failed due to lack of support from the Prussian king and any other guys who had control over the military.

Yes, but unchaining syllogisms does not make a truth.

You are comparing 2 very situations separated by 200 years. In the late 17th century, most people in the german space spoke germanic dialects, not standard german. Standard german only began spreading one century later and started being dominant in the 19th century. And you are doing as if late 17th Germany was late 19th century Germany to back the anachronic arguments used by late 19th century german nationalists to justify their ambitions.

Since you speak german well enough, you maybe also know today's Germany well enough to be aware that there are different pronounciations of standard german depending on regions of Germany. And those different pronounciations are sometimes important enough to have some germans have light trouble understand parts of what some other germans say.

You also know that there can be very quite similar pronounciations in german spoken in Holstein and in danish.

Taking the local dialects into account does not weaken but strenghten the fact that the linguistic border was more or less identical to the post-1871 border. If you really think that language is totally unimportant, you should be able to admit that fact.

If you read my previous posts, you have already noticed that I said that the notion of rightful claims for setting political frontiers was a nonsense. There is no rightfulness because what is "legal" is what one is able to have prevail by force.

Now, if you go to facts. The alsacians, being in a quite centralized country, were progressively frenchified, this process being furthered by the french revolution that created a civic nation.

Civic nations and civic countries are the dominant model. So when Germany and Prussia took Alsace and a part of Lorraine a way from France, they acted in accordance with the laws of war.
But they made a fault on several points of view :
- they did not take into account the fact that that it was no longer the age of feudality and localism but the age of nations and nationalisms. And they snatched away lands and people that had become parts of the french nation.
- they did not take into account the fact that this amputation of a part of France would prevent reconciliation and make France a permanent enemy and threat.

Point 1 is your personal opinion, not an objectively verified fact. There was a certain reluctance in A-L, but it took the Germans less than one generation to reduce the political importance of the Pro-France fraction in A-L almost to zero. This quick decline hardly supports the "fact" that an integral part had been removed from France that gave France the right to feel inherently incomplete without.

As for Point 2: France tried everything to de-legitimize Germany long before it "amputated" any French territory or even before Napoleon III came to power. The assertion that not taking A-L would have stopped that attitude is unproven at best. In hindsight, it was a bad idea to give them such a good excuse to justify their irredentism, but IMHO it remains an excuse, not a reason.

Last edited:
Point 1 is your personal opinion, not an objectively verified fact. There was a certain reluctance in A-L, but it took the Germans less than one generation to reduce the political importance of the Pro-France fraction in A-L almost to zero. This quick decline hardly supports the "fact" that an integral part had been removed from France that gave France the right to feel inherently incomplete without.

People are inherently resistant to change. This is probably why A-L wanted to remain French after the Franco-Prussian War because they were French at the time. Likewise, they wanted to remain German after WW1 because they were German at the time. A-L doesn't belong to France or Germany; if it doesn't have the power to be independent, then it belongs to the nation that has the power to annex it. That's human nature for better and for worse.

As for Point 2: France tried everything to de-legitimize Germany long before it "amputated" any French territory or even before Napoleon III came to power. The assertion that not taking A-L would have stopped that attitude is unproven at best. In hindsight, it was a bad idea to give them such a good excuse to justify their irredentism, but IMHO it remains an excuse, not a reason.

France did not try to de-legitimize Germany in history. If they did, Napoleon would have ripped apart Prussia and Austria when he had the chance. Germany not unifying earlier than the 19th century was not the fault of France; it was the fault of the power struggle between Austria and Prussia.

Last edited:

Saphroneth

Banned
I disagree. The German Bund was a continuation of the HRE in all but name. An assembly of states that are nominally part of a larger whole, namely Germany. This larger whole wasn't very important, but I'd say the Bund has a good claim to being a continuation of said larger whole (with a confederation-of-the-rhine interlude).

The Bund, or the Germans, also tried more unification during 1848.

Sure, Germany wasn't a sovereign state as such, before the Franco-Prussian War, but it certainly was something all the way from ~1500 (whenever Italy was lost-enough; the Dutch/Swiss/Elzass losses were really more a shrinking of Germany, but the German-Italian realm of Barbarossa wasn't *just* Germany, while the HRE that dissolved in 1800-something was) to 1871.
It's true they tried greater unification. And Prussia would have a much better claim to the whole thing if they'd not rebuffed the 1848 reunification because it gave insufficient power to the Prussian king!
If Germany's Germany, then the power of the Prussian king doesn't matter much - but if Wilhelm basically wanted an enlarged Prussia called Germany, that's another thing entirely...

It's true they tried greater unification. And Prussia would have a much better claim to the whole thing if they'd not rebuffed the 1848 reunification because it gave insufficient power to the Prussian king!
If Germany's Germany, then the power of the Prussian king doesn't matter much - but if Wilhelm basically wanted an enlarged Prussia called Germany, that's another thing entirely...

It is not that simple. Frederick William IV strongly believed in maintaining royal sovereignty without limits (see Matthew Levinger, Enlightened Nationalism: The Transformation of Prussian Political Culture, 1806-1848, pg. 210). However a unification of Germany required limiting the power of the smaller German rulers. Frederick William thus couldn't support it, never mind the precedent it would set for curtailing the Prussian royal power.

In all fairness that wasn't just Prussia, every German monarchy (including Austria) thought across similar lines. Even in the German Empire, some, other than Prussia, like Bavaria negotiated some special arrangements.

Germany not unifying earlier than the 19th century was not the fault of France; it was the fault of the power struggle between Austria and Prussia.

And the fact that French armies invaded German territory an average of once every 18 months between the sixteenth and early nineteenth centuries had nothing to do with it.

Perkeo

Banned
People are inherently resistant to change. This is probably why A-L wanted to remain French after the Franco-Prussian War because they were French at the time. Likewise, they wanted to remain German after WW1 because they were German at the time. A-L doesn't belong to France or Germany; if it doesn't have the power to be independent, then it belongs to the nation that has the power to annex it. That's human nature for better and for worse.
That's my option too, except the last sentence: In some disputed regions, e.g. Northern Ireland, the locals do have a clear, however controversial, opinion which nation they want to join and which they don't. It's the specific nature of A-L, not general human nature.

France did not try to de-legitimize Germany in history. If they did, Napoleon would have ripped apart Prussia and Austria when he had the chance. Germany not unifying earlier than the 19th century was not the fault of France; it was the fault of the power struggle between Austria and Prussia.

It's true that the rivalry between Austria and Prussia was more important than foreign intervention, but foreign intervention did play a role. In the 30 years war, no Swedish intervention unites Germany under the Catholics, no French under the protestants. And Napoleon I DID demand the dissolution of the HRE and rip apart Prussia. The other Napoleon certainly wasn't such a moron either to declare war upon the not even true rumor of a mere insult.

Let's not forget that Napoleon did dismantle Prussia, however temporarily...Austria certainly had better days, as well. Of course, quibbling over that distracts from the larger point that at the moment they drew up the Treaty of Frankfurt, the Prussians had no assurance that the French would stop being an aggressive threat, so they saw no incentive to be conciliatory. Perhaps that was wrong, but worse decisions have been made in both French and German foreign policy.