TLIAD: La Isla Blanca

...the Rio Medina presumably being named after the first Duke...

Au contraire, the River Medina has been so-called since the twelfth century ("Medina" was the old name for Newport). I should know because I probably crossed it in the chain-link ferry between East and West Cowes a hundred times when I was a kid.

It's utterly fascinating seeing places I grew up in being thoroughly Hispanofied. My family only first moved to the place when I was two weeks old, but I do wonder if 'Don Suárez-Hopkins' was mayhaps a little nod? If so, you've made my Blancan chest swell with pride.

‘The Mornington Crescent’ from the scythe-like implement that were used to disperse the crowds when his carriage needed to depart his residence.

Hohoho.

Very very good. I like the little changes occurring, its similar in feeling to Zonen, though obviously more changes are occurring over time.

Thande

Donor
A lot of nice ideas here. I especially like the propaganda use of the Warden of the Cinque Ports. And of course the 18th/early 19th sensibilities when it came to breaking wind...or possibly going one further in the case of Gillray depicting an anthroporphic Britain-merged-with-George-III-stroke-John-Bull literally shitting warships on France with the Solent as his anus in one of his political cartoons (NSFW!) I notice that the Isle of Wight gets diplomatically left out of that one, considering what would be happening to it...

(Taken from ‘La Isla Blanca as a National Symbol in the Era of Supremacy’ by Do-As-You-Would-Be-Done-By Fitzsimmonds in ‘The Almanac of Historical Sociology’, Miskatonic University, 2005)

How many shout-outs to different TLs can you fit into one sentence? :p

Continuing to love the Puritan names too, of course, and the use of the 'Vectis Mythos'.

This is joyous, Roem. There's so much about it that I love, though the alternate Puritan names are possibly my favourite.

Quick question: was there ever an Act of Union or equivalent in TTL?

Au contraire, the River Medina has been so-called since the twelfth century ("Medina" was the old name for Newport). I should know because I probably crossed it in the chain-link ferry between East and West Cowes a hundred times when I was a kid.

It's utterly fascinating seeing places I grew up in being thoroughly Hispanofied. My family only first moved to the place when I was two weeks old, but I do wonder if 'Don Suárez-Hopkins' was mayhaps a little nod? If so, you've made my Blancan chest swell with pride.

Well, I'll be. I was clearly putting the cart before the horse.

Looking forward to the rest of this, Jack.

Sulemain

Banned
This is joyous, Roem. There's so much about it that I love, though the alternate Puritan names are possibly my favourite.

Quick question: was there ever an Act of Union or equivalent in TTL?

Britain is explicitly mentioned, so I assume so. Considering the references to Coventors, I'm guessing its a lot more Scottish influenced.

Well, I'll be. I was clearly putting the cart before the horse.

Looking forward to the rest of this, Jack.

It's uncanny that a man called Medina was the likeliest person in history to conquer an island with a great big "River Medina" in the centre of it. One may almost call it serendipitous. Except...you know...it never actually happened. Natch.

Thande

Donor
It's uncanny that a man called Medina was the likeliest person in history to conquer an island with a great big "River Medina" in the centre of it. One may almost call it serendipitous. Except...you know...it never actually happened. Natch.

It's like that thread the other day where it was shown that circumstances behind the American presidential election of 1912 were perfectly set up to completely break the US constitution if there had been no electoral majority (all the usual provisions would fail due to deadlock or the positions being vacant), which was entirely possible as it was a three- or four-cornered contest, but then Wilson won one. AH is strange sometimes.

I'm enjoying this TL - very entertaining.

On the seventh of September, Mr Boswell and I departed from London, a city which I know too well as to require any further elocution from me

Oh No ! Surely Samuel Johnson isn't tired of London ?

I could see it being treated as sort of like Cuba in the Cuban Missile Crisis, but with the Pope instead of nukes as it were.

Maybe there would be demands to remove the Papist Missals.

Cheers,
Nigel.

ELwzkpb.jpg

Palace of Whitehall, London

George Canning inspected himself in the mirror, frowning slightly. The cravat was too over-embroidered for the occasion, but it was too late to do anything about that now. He made a mental note to have ‘words’ with the d-mn fool of a valet. A quarter-way through his mental draft of the letter of dismissal, he checked himself.

No, those were all words for a by-gone era. The future belonged to people like Hopkinson now, the hard-working sons of the Commonwealth - not clapped-out antiquities like himself.

Sighing, he decided to try and wing the necktie that had been left on the dresser. As Canning tried to adjust his attire, he looked over at the map that his predecessor as President of the Council had insisted on hanging above the mantlepiece. The deep red borders of the three Kingdoms were very much there - although the Isla Blanca had angrily scrubbed out - probably by a coin, or the embers of one of those infernal cigarillos that Sidmouth had smoked compulsively during the Sedition Crisis.

It had probably been the last of the Henrician Revolts that had doomed the old Kingdom, Canning thought to himself as his Private Secretary, Praise-the-Lord Wellingborough, arrived. The long, bloody war of attrition in Ireland, the West Country Rising, even the collapse of the Hudson Company could have all been dealt with in isolation, but the imbecile of a pretender (which regnal number were they on now - XI?) and his Simnel-esc March on Winchester had been too much for old Sophia, who had simply given up one drizzly day last February and abdicated.

The Queen was gone now - although that seemed to matter little to her puppy of a son, languishing in exile in Corfu - or ‘The Kingdom of Great Britain Abroad’, as detractors of the Royalist rabble there had christened it.

Wellingborough cleared his throat.

“We should probably go now,” he replied, “the Levellers are braying for blood.”

“Wearing long trousers doesn’t make No-Fornication Gladstone a Digger,” Canning barked, “just as dispensing with the wig makes The Speaker any less of a sad relic of antiquity.”

The first election of the Commonwealth was not going to be enjoyable. Canning had arisen to the Presidency by virtue of all the other candidates being universally loathed, but his time in office thus far had been short and even more short-tempered, gaining him neither allies, nor respect. G-d - even getting the Spanish to return the Channel Islands after the Quintuple Alliance collapsed hadn’t quite been enough for the Covenanters, who were still talking of “Popery” this and “heresy” that at every opportunity.

My Commonwealth for a Constitution, Canning thought to himself as he led his Private Secretary down to the Commons Chamber, it seemed pointless to do anything in terms of social reform when the Peers were still blocking anything that had a whiff of Rome about it.

The Palace of Whitehall had been earmarked for extensive reconstruction prior to the Abdication. Westminster had proved too attractive a target for the mob in October, and the Vegetables, had ended up taking lodging in the Medieval Banqueting Hall, with the Animals up in Jones’ Throne Room.

“I would keep it as light as possible, Lord President,” Wellingborough said, “Humiliation Fairfax will insist that you send the shells flying across the Solent, but there’s no point even conceding that he has mentioned it - Madrid will be looking for any excuse to bring back the blockade, especially since Graham's flight.”

Isla Blanca - Canning through remorsefully as they approached the grand staircase to the interim-Commons Chamber - it was only even the d-mn Covenanters (or, as he supposed he would have to now start calling them, the ‘Radicals’) who mentioned the issue nowadays. The government really needed to work on far more important issues, the Federal Settlement, land reform, decamping from the Indian Petty-Kingdoms, but it seemed that that could all wait for a tiny parcel of Gallician homesteaders.

The Serjeant-at-Arms nodded at him as he entered the Chamber to a cacophony.

“You’re late, Porgie” - a Crofter yelled out from from the Opposition benches.

Canning paid him little attention, being pre-occupied with the host of men flanking the Speaker’s Chair.

“Rowland?”

The former Military Governor of Ireland gave a joyless smile.

“Lord President,” he replied, as a number of guardsmen filled in behind Canning, “I understand that we have a constitution to constitute.”

Wonderful, Canning thought morosely, another one.​

Last edited:
Er - has there just been a coup d'etat?

It looks like the hangover of a long period of political instability... maybe Spain and Britain have somewhat switched places ITTL. If, as it sounds, Spain is in such a shape that it can afford to blockade the british isles...

Last edited:
It looks like the hangover of a long period of political instability... maybe Spain and Britain have somewhat switched places ITTL. If, as it sounds, Spain is in such a shape that it can afford to blockade the british isles...

Seems that way. I wonder if the Spain in this TL has the kind of constitutionally-neutered, nationally-cherished monarchy that Britain ended up with OTL, since we seem to have gone a bit French with ours. I do like how the new republic's structure has grown organically from existing British institutions (the "Lord President of the Council" for instance - possible reference to the Spanish PM being technically "President of the Government" even though no one calls him that?).

Thande

Donor
I love the strange mix of seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth political personalities, ideas, names, etc.

And yes this does seem to be turning into an analogous history where England or Britain has the political turmoil of Spain--taking the Wight-Gibraltar comparison to its conclusion, perhaps.

Seems that way. I wonder if the Spain in this TL has the kind of constitutionally-neutered, nationally-cherished monarchy that Britain ended up with OTL, since we seem to have gone a bit French with ours. I do like how the new republic's structure has grown organically from existing British institutions (the "Lord President of the Council" for instance - possible reference to the Spanish PM being technically "President of the Government" even though no one calls him that?).

He is called that. But it's not the historical name, which would be Presidente del Consejo de Ministros, although it's only a tradition insofar as the liberal state was established after the First Carlist War. Before that, the chief ministers were known as Secretario de Estado (Secretary of State)

It is however very nice indeed to have more organic names, but without a French Revolution (that we know), why would anyone emulate the French names for anything, especially in Britain of all places?

Does No-Fornication Gladstone go around removing prostitutes from the streets?

Good to see Canning here. I think OTL's version of him is sometimes under-appreciated. TTL's version seems likely to be every bit as capable as ours, though more weary I think. Presumably he has no duels to fight though.

I very much like the censored swearing. It is a nice touch. And I like seeing the early, unstable days of a Republic. I wonder if the Restoration mentioned earlier is to come next.