The Republic of Texas

Hmmm...an immigrant-dominated mostly free-soil Texas that rejects Deep South plantation culture (likely mostly German as OTL, though Catholic southern Europeans could bring the Tejanos back into the fold) could be really interesting, possibly more Kentucky/Tennessee in outlook (a small number of house slaves and a few field hands, but no massive cotton plantations, perhaps?).

Yeah, I planned on there being a large ammount of immigration, especially from Germany, but from the South as well, especially after the civil war is lost.

Not that slavery's going to last long in Texas either, as close to Britain as they are.

Even without the western territories, an imbalance between slave states and free states will occur when Iowa and Minnesota are eventually made free states. Plus sooner or later the Kansas question would arise as well. In order to counter that the slave holding states will put tremendous pressure to bring Texas in as a slave state. So I think there needs to be some type of alternative compromise to appease the slave states if Texas is to remain independent.

The south is going to push for some compromise in order to let Iowa and Minnesota in, and its going to have to be a big one since their admission gives the north 4 more votes in the senate and breaks the tie. The south will push heavily for Texas and ITL the north will ignore, pissing the south off almost unnecessarily. ITL Kansas will see even more bloodshed as it is the south's last real hope outside of some Caribbean pipe dream. I hope there are some big compromises by the north, or else they are treating the south way worse than I could ever see them doing (even in the polarizing era just before the CW). It would also make them look hell bent on war.

However, during its 10 year run as a Republic, Texas, though mainly populated by immigrants from the Southern states had not yet developed the smae antebellum culture of the deep south. In OTL that mainly occurred after statehood with the huge influx of slaveholding/cotton plantation cultured southerners from Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. In an ATL where Texas remains independent, a different culture could emerge, especially if there is more immigration from Europe. Of course, the government would have to revise that Constitution of 1836.

This is true to, in an independent Texas there would probably be more German immigration and the German discrimination that occured just prior to and during the CW would most likely not occur. The same could be said for Poles, Dutch, maybe even some Italians and southern Europeans who reroute to Texas.

That being said, I can see Texas as a haven for southern slave holders, espcially as the north begins to (or seems to) abuse its power. Immigration for the south would probably occur just a little less than OTL and would make Texas pro-south.

To make a long story short here is my timeline:
1836- Texas gains Independence from Mexico
1839- Texas amends the constitution to allow the president a three year term and allows him to run cosequtively
1840- Mexico sends an army to reconqure Texas
1841- the Republic's Ranger Corps capture Mexico City
1842- Mexico cedes over the states of NM, Arizona, and California

I love the Texas Wanks on here, as I am contemplating my own ATL Texas Wank. But it seems any ATL Texas always has its POD being sometime after the 1836 revolution and "independence" from Mexico. And the main problem with that POD as has been pointed out is that the Republic had too few people, resources, money, etc. to really be successful in the long term. As such, we see TLs where Britain or France prop up the RoT in order to provide stability. yeah, it could have worked, but I see most of these Tls as being really ASBish.

I am contemplating having a POD much earlier, which of course will change all of Texas history, and probably butterfly away everything from Mexican independence in 1820, to Stephen F Austin, to the Alamo, etc. But thats what is fun about creating ATLs. Hopefully, I will start mine soon.

Not that slavery's going to last long in Texas either, as close to Britain as they are.

Britain probably won't care about Texas' slavery untilt the 1870's at least. Just so long as they don't import slaves, and provide a cheap uninterrupted supply of cotton and other crops.

No mine's not a wank, but just a story of the nation's survival. That 1900 Hurricane is gonna hurt Texas royally too.

Hmmm...an immigrant-dominated mostly free-soil Texas that rejects Deep South plantation culture (likely mostly German as OTL, though Catholic southern Europeans could bring the Tejanos back into the fold) could be really interesting, possibly more Kentucky/Tennessee in outlook (a small number of house slaves and a few field hands, but no massive cotton plantations, perhaps?).

I can see Texas not being plantation oriented but to get a free soil Texas your going to need lots of European immigration, and by lots I mean llloootttssss.

I can see Texas becoming Kentuckyish but thats about as far. They certainley won't be supporting the north unless Europeans completley overrun the nation and change the culture from day 1.

I love the Texas Wanks on here, as I am contemplating my own ATL Texas Wank. But it seems any ATL Texas always has its POD being sometime after the 1836 revolution and "independence" from Mexico. And the main problem with that POD as has been pointed out is that the Republic had too few people, resources, money, etc. to really be successful in the long term. As such, we see TLs where Britain or France prop up the RoT in order to provide stability. yeah, it could have worked, but I see most of these Tls as being really ASBish.

I am contemplating having a POD much earlier, which of course will change all of Texas history, and probably butterfly away everything from Mexican independence in 1820, to Stephen F Austin, to the Alamo, etc. But thats what is fun about creating ATLs. Hopefully, I will start mine soon.

I'd like to see a Texas Wank, I actually thought about making one but decided to go with Ameriwank instead. I do have an idea for a quick Texas wank after Ameriwank is done...I'll give you a hint...think Jedi and the Alamo:p

No mine's not a wank, but just a story of the nation's survival. That 1900 Hurricane is gonna hurt Texas royally too.

I bet, with Texas seemingly destined to be an export oriented nation Galveston is going to be the main port of call for everything. Wiping that out will send the state into a depression almost over night.

At the very least oil should be discovered on time and Houston will rise:p

I bet, with Texas seemingly destined to be an export oriented nation Galveston is going to be the main port of call for everything. Wiping that out will send the state into a depression almost over night.

At the very least oil should be discovered on time and Houston will rise:p

I was actually thinking along the lines of a huge industrial project like the Port of Houston would be beyond the capabilities of Texas in this time period. So basiclly Galveston would slowly be restored and Corpus and maybe Matagorta Bay would see increased use.

I was actually thinking along the lines of a huge industrial project like the Port of Houston would be beyond the capabilities of Texas in this time period. So basiclly Galveston would slowly be restored and Corpus and maybe Matagorta Bay would see increased use.

Thats true, but with a need for a a good port that can withstand (to a degree) hurricanes, especially when oil and chemicals became key in the economy, the heavy investment might be worth it.

It is worth noting that in export driven nations, infastructure is invested in more heavily than anything else. The British and the US would be more than willing to spare the funds so that they have an oil port ready to go and not have a repeat of Galveston.

Corpus is to far from the oil fields (intially) and to close to the unpredictable Mexican border.

You make a good point there Tex, Britain would probably see to that, which would initially be binding Texas even more to the British Empire and would almost certainly require Texas to join with Britain if/when the Great War starts. The whole debt of honor thing.

I briefly thought about Mexico joining the Central Powers, but that'd be too cliche. A third Texan-Mexican war would probably be instigated by Texas in the 1860's/70's to take back the land they lost. Maybe even Santa Anna would be in charge again since he didn't lose the Mexican-American war ITTL and crushed the California rebellion and beat Texas earlier to boot.

Hmm, would the Republic of Texas stay neutral during ACW, I can see them symphatize with the Confederacy, but having good relations with the Union.

Well lets say in this ATL that an ACW starts around the same time an in OTL, but that Texas is an independent nation that has legalized slavery with a developing cotton trade.

As in OTL, the US institutes a naval blockade around the CSA. As a result, merchants, traders, and entrepeneurs in Texas see huge dollar signs from all the trade that they will get because of the blockade. However, I would imagine that an officially neutral Texas would have to disallow open trading with the CSA as a means for the CSA to evade the blockade. Of course smuggling would be rampant. The price of cotton would go through the roof, and I think Texans would find a way to manufacture many more necessities of warfare from weapons, ammunition, uniforms, etc. to sell to the CSA (under the table of course). As long as the RoT doesn't openly violate its neutrality status with open trading with the CSA, the US won't need to extend their blockade to encompass Texas ports. This way the RoT gets rich off of the ACW.

That's pretty much what I had in mind, and was the forming of the rift between the Union and Texas after General Jefferson Davis surrenders and the south is beaten. :p

I would think British big business and oilmen would be more than happy to invest in a protected port to take their oil from.

Something to consider when talking about Texas and slavery. The cotton growing areas which depended on reliable rain and soil are limited to east of the modern day Interstate 35 line (running Dallas/Austin/San Antonio) and north of the Nueces River. West of that line the terrain is too rocky, and then too arid, while south of the Nueces the terrain is too difficult to clear until you get to the Rio Grande Valley because of the Chapparal.

As cotton exhausts the soil like nothing else (except tobacco, which is worse), then eventually cotton will cease to be profitable enough to support slavery, while other forms of agriculture in Texas, particularly cattle raising, are not worth keeping slaves for either.