The Lightning Count

And I am back from the horrors of Research papers and PowerPoint presentations. Hope I haven't missed much so far.

Interesting chapter, very interesting. I suppose that we've just seen the birth of Magnus Maximus then.

We've witnessed the birth of Magnus Maximus indeed. Maximianus is forging himself a legacy built on the foundations of Fullofaudes defeat and the lessons and alliances that come from that.

This was a great chapter, I don't really have much to say right now other than i like the way you described the dying moment the Comes, The Younger's little introspective moment, and the twist with Maximianus. Is the reconstruction that Theodosius the Younger is going to begin something that Severus may not approve of? Actually is Theodosius' decision to not return to Rome earlier going to backfire on him? I wonder if we'll see that troop of Hibernii with Maximianus later.

Theodosius' decision not to return to Rome will have a decidedly strained relationship between himself and Severus but that will be mended slightly by Jovinus and Sebastianus cooling him down. The reconstruction is somthing Severus will not approve of but will not assist in or stop. Effectively ending Rome's support of Britannia to spite Theodosius. Well Donnart and Duinnsech still have the bulk of their men and they're still about...

pretty drained mentally right now from my essay, so I may come back to you later on about this chapter when I've had a moment to relax.

For now onwards to my response to your previous response!

As always questions are welcomed and responses are given to the best of my ability :)

How quickly can Britannia recover from something like this? Especially considering that she's got barbarians roaming her lands which will need to be dealt with.

It will take quite some time but with developments including the Batavi fleeing towards Britannia the added influx and promise of safety could be a powerful bargaining chip to help rebuild. The Barbarian issue is one of really rounding up the war bands that have set up shop in the northern regions. They're distraction as opposed to a genuine threat.

Looking forward to seeing it. How much work will need to be done? What was destroyed during the Great Conspiracy? Viaducts? Bridges? Will farmland need time to recover? Can Britannia afford it?

Farmland is damaged but relatively unscathed in rural parts, only closer to major cities and towns was the damage done. It will take time to resow crops and get everything back up to the right standard. Viaducts and bridges are intact as Fullofaudes needed to demoralise rather than destroy Britannia's people.

I'm always pleased to be of service. Things like this are to think about so hopefully I'll think up more later. Might they alter the Roman Architecture to fit the cold and wet Island? Not quite sure how to explain this. Hmm... maybe something like this
View attachment 229991

Classic_Greek_House_1.jpgd700c5e8-5245-464f-8da4-2a09c87f46a4Large.jpg
I know the building is greek but consider it a template. But with smaller doors same size windows, and local building materials probably stone. Red shingles could go on government buildings or for the extremely wealthy. Thicker walls probably since thicker walls retain heat better. This next bit is from Wikipedia about thermal mass.

Thermal mass is ideally placed within the building and situated where it still can be exposed to low angle winter sunlight (via windows) but insulated from heat loss. In summer the same thermal mass should be obscured from higher angle summer sunlight in order to prevent over-heating of the structure.

The thermal mass is warmed passively by the sun or additionally by internal heating systems during the day. Thermal energy stored in the mass is then released back into the interior during the night. It is essential that it be used in conjunction with the standard principles of passive solar design.

Any form of thermal mass can be used. A concrete slab foundation either left exposed or covered with conductive materials e.g. tiles; is one easy solution. Another novel method is to place the masonry facade of a timber-framed house on the inside ('reverse-brick veneer'). Thermal mass in this situation is best applied over a large area rather than in large volumes or thicknesses. 7.5–10 cm (3-4") is often adequate.

This probably for anything other than your future description of towns and homes but oh well.

Thank you :) Will definitely have to do a lot of work in regards to the way the future towns and cities look. This will be a big help in starting. Thank you

That's cool. I'm still getting used to all these things about alternate versions of people. So have you considered what your alt-Hapsburg's will be called? And where they will originate?

No idea what they will be called until the story progresses but old Roman houses and the 'barbarians' serving in Rome who pick up influence will be among those who rise to power.

I'm glad that Gaul will live on. How much land are they going to take up/claim after their pushed out by the germanic tribes?

The red line being the Gaulish Britannia and the green line being what may be the border of the WRE following the eventual Germanic conquest. This may change but this is a rough guide to the borders that could even diminish more.

tumblr_n577go1b3x1rve203o1_500.png

I'll have to read up more on Gratian then, and his guardians too. To see where this might be going. I'm guessing Severus might affect the Gratin looks at Theodosius the Younger then.

Gratian will be I say 90% influenced by Severus who sees himself as the most loyal of Valentinian's men and as he was there feels personally responsible for his death and for his son then by default. Jovinus and Sebastianus will be the breath of fresh air in Gratian's upbringing by taking on more responsibilities to ease the burden on Severus and to give Gratian room to be his own man

going to be an interesting bunch of languages, that's for sure.

It will be primarily Brythonic with certain areas having hybrid names with the locals and foreigners mixing. It most certainly be interesting seeing some areas be Brythonic, Latin-Brythonic and Latin-Brythonic-Germanic

And I'm always willing to offer said questions. Your welcome. :) Sorry for this long thing.

No need to apologise :) I actively encourage questions :)

New update within the next 24 hours. It will focus on Jovinus & Sebastianus and their attempts at stabilising the border with the Tervingi and their Eastern brothers. It will also highlight their discord with Severus and his methods of educating Gratian and his overall influence he has.

-Protest The Hero

THE LIGHTNING COUNT
Chapter XXI: Blood Brothers

“The southern borders require urgent attention. Tervingi have been spotted not far from the souther limes. Opinions Magister?”

Jovinus looked up, his head had been buried in documentation since his return from Rome. His protégé Aulus had returned from meeting local men conscripted into the ranks of the Foederati, the news troubled him. The Tervingi had been bothering the Romans in the east for a while now but had left the western borders alone in comparison. Their kin the Greutungi had been quiet too for quite some time, something that had bothered men in both Latin & Greek halves of the empire.

“Aulus my boy. These are not matters for me. Sebastianus has been given control of the limes. Relay the reports to him when you can. I need your help on something important”

Aulus seemed perplexed, Jovinus had been constantly reading reports and writing orders for the men in the north along the Rhenus. He knew his place was here in Sirmium where the young Gratian would be coming soon along with Severus. Aulus nodded and left Jovinus' room, the Magister Militum barely noticing his departure. Thinking to himself the young protégé barely noticed Sebastianus as he walked into him, falling onto his backside and turning a severe shade of red upon realising who he had walked into,

“I am sorry Comes Sebastianus. My sincerest apologies. Umm I was just umm coming to find you” bumbled Aulus in embarrassment, the Comes Italiae smiled, he too was once an awkward young man once.

“It's quite alright my young friend. I hope things are well with you? You say you are looking for me?”

“They are sir... I have reports from the Danubius. The local conscripts say the Tervingi are scouting our borders in recent weeks, turning their attention westwards”

“Turning westwards? Are they still there at all?”

“Yes Comes. The reports state that there are a few war bands nearby, not enough for a full on assault. They just seem to be watching”

“Unusual... I wouldn't usually do this but send for the highest ranked from these new Foederati. I wish to speak to them and send a scouting party to gather intelligence. I want the reports as fast as you can muster them.”

“Right away Comes Sebastianus... another thing sir... Jovinus”

“What about the Magister?”

“He has been unusually distant as of late”

“He hasn't told you?”

“No... is there something I should know?”

“The Emperor and Severus are journeying to Sirmium within the next few weeks. The Emperor wishes to see his guardians and Severus wants to discuss private matters. Usual politics. Take no notice of Jovinus' indifferent mood and temperament. He isn't one for Severus as of late. Nor am I”

“Very well Comes. I shall send for the Foederati Primus and let the scouts know their duties”

“Good man. You'll make a fine grapheocraticus one day but do not limit yourself to that role. Now make haste. I must speak with Jovinus alone.”

Sebastianus nodded his head and walked away from Aulus and towards Jovinus' study. Aulus had always been impressed by the Comes Italiae and his ability to make people feel comfortable yet awed in his presence. A rare gift, even amongst the finest generals of Rome and her empire. Jovinus was much like he was when Aulus had left him, eyes fixed firmly on his writing and fixing the problems with the Barbarians in the north and the bigger problem of his own men maintaining control.”Too many bloody Foederati” was the ever present motto of Jovinus as he undertook his evaluation of the northern limes. Sebastianus looked at his friend and let out an exasperated sigh of relief, his friend hadn't lost the plot as much as he had feared.

“Working yourself into an early grave my friend? When did you last walk the streets and visit the gardens? You look worn out”

“I cannot rest knowing we must reinforce and re-evaluate the northern limes. Severus has put me under far too much stress and he knows it”
Jovinus retorted before his head just dropped to the table and let out a deafening groan, “I need that walk. I am sick of the sight of these four walls”

Sebastianus smiled as he saw his friend show a sliver of positivity and determination after many weeks of working without rest, something Sebastianus had grown worried about, seeing the man who had becoming his closest friend and ally reduced to a bundle of nerves and anxiety. The two men began their walk around the imperial city of Sirmium, the glorious mother of cities to many, this was the jewel between the shining light of Constantinople and the dying light of Rome.

“He is coming you know” Jovinus spoke as he observed the citizens go about their daily lives without a care in the world, they did not know or more than likely care about the threats that existed not far from their walls. He admired their blissful ignorance, “He is getting far too used to this power he wields. Acting as though we are secondary to Gratian's education. A second thought to this empire!”

“Calm yourself my friend. He knows how we feel and this is why he goes about this way. Grind us down and make us look inferior. He forgets it is our efforts in ensuring the limes are not breached that his head isn't on the gates leading into Rome. It is time we played our hand. When he and Gratian come here we will force the issue. Gratian will remain with us for the next year. Or Severus will see his orders falling on deaf ears”

“You play a risky game Comes... what makes you think that he will not see through your bluff?”

Sebastianus turned and smiled to Jovinus placing both his hands on his shoulders, the difference between the two was staggering to see, where once Jovinus was a man of great posture and appearance he now was hunched and worn out. He wanted this image of his friend gone and the man who stood up to Severus during the aftermath of Valentinian's passing,

“Who says I am bluffing... if he doesn't want to allow us our right to educate and watch over the young emperor then who I am to stop the Barbarians from crossing over the border”

“You wouldn't dare?! That is nothing short than treason”

“Only a little, but do you think he knows that. I have never not once failed to carry out a promise or oath I have made. He knows that, everyone knows that. I am a Roman. My best interests are always of Rome and her survival. A wound must be healed of that I have no doubts.”

“When will he arrive?”

“That is why I am here. In three days he and the young Emperor shall arrive”

Jovinus' eyes widened as the look of fear spread across his face and stiffened his body. He had not anticipated the early arrival of the Emperor and Severus but yet he was surprised that his old friend hadn't bothered to give him the benefit of letting him now in advance. He swallowed his pride or what was left of it and took a deep breath inwards and exhaled. His eyes firmly fixed on those of Sebastianus,

“Well then my friend. We need to make sure his arrival and time here goes accordingly. Now I must get myself looking somewhat less like a beggar and more like the Magister Militum I am”

“Good. Good! That's the Jovinus I know. As soon as that student of yours returns I shall send him your way. We have much to do and very little time in which to do it. Audaces fortuna iuvat my friend”

Apologies for being quiet on here lately guys and gals. Work has been consuming me and I've wanted to spend more time with my girlfriend to recharge my batteries and get my creative mojo back into swing. Should definitely have a couple of posts up on Friday. If I am going to do one post might as well do two and get this story charging forward.

Anything people would like to see or think will happen? And what does everyone think of the last update as brief as it were. All feedback etc is welcome.

-Protest The Hero

Hmmm, with a more defended Saxon Shore I can see most of the Saxons (inc the Jutes) following the Franks on a more southerly direction.
However what will happen with the Angles? They headed directly east when being pushed out. Is *East Anglia and Northeast Britain in the same condition as OTL? If so then expect some Angle states to appear there

Hmmm, with a more defended Saxon Shore I can see most of the Saxons (inc the Jutes) following the Franks on a more southerly direction.
However what will happen with the Angles? They headed directly east when being pushed out. Is *East Anglia and Northeast Britain in the same condition as OTL? If so then expect some Angle states to appear there

The Saxons and Jutes will head south but not after attacking the northern Saxon shore of Gaul one too many times. Their aim then will be the Dalmatian coast possibly alongside the Jutes as the Franks push southwards and with goals of taking Roman land being the prime objective.

Well given the destruction and chaos caused by Fullofaudes and his Barbarian and deserter armies the North is a shambles and will be resettled with Natives and the Batavi foederati and refugees fleeing the Frankish/Saxon purges against their people. Perhaps we could see Angles looking to drop south and into the Saxon and Frankish lands that are formerly Batavi with their eventual gaze shifting from Gaul to Britannia and hitting the eastern and north eastern shores without warning. Perhaps using the Saxon assaults as diversions for a weakened empire unable to counter and unwilling to assist Britannia. A whole new Angle-land would emerge as such

1. I would like to see a religious map of Europa in the current year.
2. I would like to see Valens adopt a more tolerant policy towards pagans than Theodosius would've had he ruled there (Hypatia not torn apart by mob, School of Athens not closed/more accepted, Manicheism becoming more prominent in Arabia, etc.)
3. Would there be no Gothic Gaul if Adrianople is won by the ERE? Could the Alans/Vandals/Suebi replace them rather than the Franks or Saxons?
4. Can we start having summary chapters (year by year) once in a while to recap/speed up things if need be?

1. I would like to see a religious map of Europa in the current year.
2. I would like to see Valens adopt a more tolerant policy towards pagans than Theodosius would've had he ruled there (Hypatia not torn apart by mob, School of Athens not closed/more accepted, Manicheism becoming more prominent in Arabia, etc.)
3. Would there be no Gothic Gaul if Adrianople is won by the ERE? Could the Alans/Vandals/Suebi replace them rather than the Franks or Saxons?
4. Can we start having summary chapters (year by year) once in a while to recap/speed up things if need be?

1. I will do my best to make one but will have to source an OTL map of Europa and her religions first. I am not one for photoshop so it may be crudely done unfortunately.

2. Theodosius will be more tolerant due his location as the Britons aren't all Christian yet so he will be amongst Pagans from Britannia and Germania. Valens though will need to escape the clutches of his wife who is gaining influence on him and making purges against the Nicene creed and those not of it but a compromise could be formed with more influential Pagans and smaller sect Christians supporting the Nicene purge in favour of their own survival with those OTL incidents never occurring.

3. A Gothic Gaul appeals to me quite a lot as I have ideas that the Germanic tribes settle more along the border with the WRE and ERE effectively swapping with the Goths as such. A Germanic battle against the ERE would be something else, be it at OTL Adrianople or elsewhere. I have some of the Alamanni heading to the ERE for refuge and service.

4. Yearly updates are something I have considered and probably will enact soon enough. I just need to tailor my style and somehow merge the narrative with the recaps or possibly retain the story element and then a recap elsewhere in the world in the places we know. Any idea how this could be done as I am at a loggerheads..

THE LIGHTNING COUNT
Chapter XXII: Sleep With One Eye Open

“Now you listen here!” barked Severus, spittle forming at the edges of his mouth like a rabid dog. His face bright red and growing more scarlet as his temper was kept barely in check. Jovinus and Sebastianus stared at him, their demeanour stoic and focused compared to the brewing storm that was Severus. Sebastianus rose to his feet slowly and kept eye contact with his friend and quietly spoke,

“No you listen Severus. You cannot keep your monopoly over the young boy. He needs a change of scenery, a change of teaching and education”

Severus clenched his fists and pounded the table, his pride had been questioned as well as his abilities as a guardian of the young Emperor, he clicked his neck and bit his lip in frustration, “And you think I am not giving him a worthy enough education. Who the fuck do you think you are. You answer to me don't you forget that. It would be wise if you remembered your place in the world”

“It would be wise of you listened and sat down old friend and closed your mouth and opened your mind.” Jovinus chimed in. Gone was the nervous man of months previous. The old tactician had returned and he watched his friends squabble and argue amongst themselves,“You would sacrifice the safety of our borders for your own pride?”

“Not for my pride but for the Emperor”

Sebastianus was incensed, he knew all too well when he was being played and this was as much an insult to him as it was to Severus for even uttering the words, “Shit and lies. It's for your own ego. The boy will remain here in Sirmium and he will remain here for the very minimum of one year under the tutelage of myself and Jovinus. He needs to be free of Ravenna and of Rome. He needs to see what real Imperial life is like, not pretence and backstabbing scum that reside there. Severus. You need this time for yourself my friend. I worry, we both do. When was the last time you honestly slept well...”

Severus' hands covered his face as he slumped into his chair, they were right. It had been a very long time since he had went to sleep and not woken up exhausted and drained. His hands shook as it dawned on him he was a broken man barely kept together. The burden he had carried on his own he had opted to make his own. He knew he could not carry on much longer at this rate.

“I suppose it is best for the young boy to stay here and take in new surroundings. Perhaps it would do me good too before I return back to my duties in Ravenna and that piss stain called Rome.”

Jovinus smiled, he finally recognised his old friend. The past few months had taken much from all of them. Their Emperor, their friendship almost but they always came back around to seeing eye to eye eventually.

“My brother you can stay here as long as you wish. Sirmium is as much your home as it is ours. Welcome to the third Rome minus the treachery and literal backstabbing”

“Everywhere has traitors my old friend. The good ones just stay in plain sight” Severus retorted as he took a drink from his cup and downed the liquid in one swift movement and placed his cup firmly on the table and smiled.

***********​

He pulled his sword from the body of a fallen soldier. The ground was littered with bodies, Tervingi bodies. An utter massacre, a war band not only beaten but slaughtered for simply opposing the great host of Alamanni heading for new lands in the eastern half of Roman lands. Makrian wiped the blade on the body of his victim and rested it over his shoulder as he watched his men pile bodies on top of bodies.

“Leave no trace of us being here”

“Impossible. Have you seen how many us there are? Thousands and more waiting for us to say it is safe.”

“I have seen how many of us there are. I am at the head of this march so I know how many of us there so don't question my intelligence again. Just dump the bodies and burn them when I give the order. The Romans told us to meet with them at the city of Naissus. We will do just that”

“And will you go unarmed and only with two escorts as they demanded?”

Makrian laughed as his second in command looked at him as though he had grown a second head. The very idea of going unarmed was laughable as was only going with a couple of escorts also unarmed. He lifted his sword up into the sky and watched as the light of the sun reflected off it into the eyes of his man before bringing it centimetres from his face, sheer fear and the unexpected horror in his eyes was something Makrian took great pleasure in.

“I will go armed and I will go with enough men to make them tremble. We do not march like lambs to be slaughtered. They will see us for what we really are”

“W-w-w-what is that Chief Makrian?”

“Ruthless. Strong. Powerful. Everything that good little Romans say they are but something more. Unwilling to bend the knee for profit or for anyone but our own. We'll serve them if it is worth our time. If not then we will make sure they never forget the great swarm that came upon them.”

“They'll be ready and waiting for that”

“I know... I told them they should be. Wouldn't be a good guest if I didn't mention our tendencies to enjoy fighting... and causing them. Now hurry the fuck up. I want those bodies piled up and burned by nightfall and I want us halfway to Naissus before anyone finds their corpses”

Sorry for the delay in posting ladies & gentlemen. Writers block brought on by working in an uninspiring job not helping. Still having the ol' block but not as bad now. May look to have a new story format in future if it continues. But I hope the last post wet the appetites of people for more,​

-Protest The Hero

Considering shifting the story to focus on specific characters and plots and then going back and doing a huge chunk on specific things elsewhere to help me streamline the story so I do not overextend myself. Opinions and thoughts?​

-PTH

Last edited:
THE LIGHTNING COUNT​

Volume II

Prologue: Ill Winds

The winds whipped through the air, howling and unnerving Theodosius as he looked out at the horizon from Ratae Corieltauvorum. “An ill omen on the winds” he thought to himself as he looked out at the darkness, his mind plagued with the thoughts of his father and his passing and all that had happened. He headed back down to the lower walls of the city to be met by a restless Lugubelenus; the old man was weary and worn out.

“Dux Theodosius I thought you may be here. Another restless night watching the darkness?”

“You are correct. I hope my presence here isn't bothering you or the locals. I assure you we will be gone shortly. We head south-westerly tomorrow to assist Cunicatus in his attempts at restoring order”

Lugubelenus smiled, his silver hair glowing nearly in the moonlight as the wind whipped it around giving him an ethereal appearance, “No no my Dux, the notion is laughable. We are grateful for your presence. Having you here has restored our faith in the rule of Rome”

“But not mine I am afraid”

“Dux?”

“Never mind my friend, ignore me. Too many nights spent in the presence of my own thoughts and not enough time with actual people. What brings you to the walls?”
Theodosius sheepishly asked as he clearly made an effort to change the subject to avoid any meaningful conversation about his own problems. Lugubelenus' demeanour shifted from jovial to a man who bore the weight of more than just one colonia on his shoulders.

“There is word from the southern shores. A rider came not long ago. War bands have been potted not far from Branodonum, Batavi to be exact. They have sent their own messengers. They are fleeing”

“Fleeing from what? The Batavi never encroach without cause. What did the messenger say?”

“Many things... they ask that you meet with them.”

Theodosius nodded agreeing, they had just routed one heathen army and began restoring order and now more Barbarians had washed up on the shorelines of Britannia. The Dux and Lugubelenus parted ways as the old man climbed the steps to the overlook so he my too took in the view that Theodosius had. He took in a deep breathe, the icy cold chill in the wind filling his lungs. “An ill omen on the winds. I am getting too old for this.”

Last edited:
What year is it now? We may need a summary of what happened in-between.

It's the winter of 368 now following on directly from what happened in the last chapter but I will be redoing a proper summary asap. I'm just not great at summarising tbh. Just gotta grind it out.

I will be methinks adding brief summaries of what is happening elsewhere in this story so that everyone understands briefly how the story is progressing but it will definitely be more Britannia and Theodosius centric going forward until I switch back to the other plots.

It's the winter of 368 now following on directly from what happened in the last chapter but I will be redoing a proper summary asap. I'm just not great at summarising tbh. Just gotta grind it out.

I will be methinks adding brief summaries of what is happening elsewhere in this story so that everyone understands briefly how the story is progressing but it will definitely be more Britannia and Theodosius centric going forward until I switch back to the other plots.
How is Theodosius the younger too old for this though? I thought it was 390 by now...

How is Theodosius the younger too old for this though? I thought it was 390 by now...

Lugubelenus is the old man who is getting too old for this. It's still 368. Not jumped that far. Writing a quick brief update of what has happened and thinking about now only doing a solid year's worth of story. May be megaposts or two posts covering a year with the summary of elsewhere in the story.

THE LIGHTNING COUNT
The Story Recap; 368 AD

-The year 368 began with the 'Great Conspiracy', a scheme hatched between the uncivilized barbarians on the fringes of the Western Roman Empire who along with a traitorous element began their attack. The Island of Britannia fell with ease to the forces of the believed to be dead Fullofaudes who had deprived Britannia of seasoned troops and staged his own death and began a coup d'etat to bring rule to the island under him alone.

-Meanwhile the WRE, the Emperor Valentinian began his campaign to eradicate the Germanic tribes collectively known as the Alamanni for their sacking and burning of Augusta Trevororum. Alongside him marched his friend and trusted general Severus and the Emperor's young son, the eight year old Gratian. The march into the wilderness known as Germania Magna resulted in a series of punitive measures not seen for a generation as Valentinian sought to add to his growing reputation but alas it was to be a victory not to be enjoyed. The battle had been won and for all intents and purposes so had the war but the Emperor had been felled by an Alamanni assassin wanting fame and revenge for the loss. Valentinian died in the arms of his general and left a son with no family.

-The great Comes Theodosius ventured to Britannia and began his reconnaissance to find out what had brought Britannia to its very knees and rectify the situation. Venturing to Londinium and across the southern portion of the island the truth slowly unravelled as he learned more and more about the chaos and disorder purposely created by an unknown leader. The only information available to them were the reports of the Barbarians coming from beyond Hadrian's wall in the far north of the island with many towns and cities being ravaged by these assailants. Theodosius the Younger and his best friend Flavius Magnus made the journey also shortly after with the knowledge of Valentinian's passing which added further to the Comes' problems now knowing how the raiders managed to secure their routes through Britannia so easily with the intelligence branch; the Arcani turning and joining with the Barbarians.

-The cities and towns of Britannia had been left to the barbarians whims as they routinely ravaged and broke communities leaving nothing of value in their wake. The Comes and his son travelled the island piecing together how the flawed but ultimately stronger garrisons of Rome had been so easily stripped apart and only the fresh faced and old were left to protect her citizens. The ride north to Eboracum was hindered with attacks by war bands but none posing a true threat. At the colonia of Ratae Corieltauvorum the trio continued their hunt to find the possibly dead Dux of Britannia Fullofaudes whom was reported to be north of the wall. Too many questions and not enough answers at this point.

-The messengers of Severus met with Theodosius and demanded his return to Ravenna to begin his tenure as guardian of the young Emperor alongside Sebastianus, Jovinus and Severus himself. Something the great Comes took offence to as he was given his orders by the now deceased Emperor. Shortly after their dismissal the surprise attack came from the Scotti and Atacotti mercenaries from Hibernia. The attack was quick as was their departure, the Comes learning about their ways after the discovery of an entire scouting party hung from trees, gutted and gnawed upon. Luckily for the Romans they had captured a few men on the outskirts, Saxones and a Pannonian. A man known as Valentinus, a snake of a man/ with knowledge that betrayed his station.

-Valens learning of his brothers passing indulges in drink and begins to question his own abilities. Always the lesser of the two brothers and always deemed as being Emperor because his brother made him so. His wife Dominica, of an old Greek house begins to exert more and more control over her husband and with her belief in the Arian creed of Christianity that opposed the now dead Valentinian's Nicene doctrine she could set about making husband the great Basileus of the East in the image of Alexander and the great Roman Emperors that had come before him and their first action was to outlaw the teaching and following of Nicene Christianity anywhere within the Eastern Empire's borders under penalty of execution. The prominent church figure and future bishop Basil of Caesarea was exiled to Britannia following his veiled threat that the Basileus' and Dominica''s child would pass away as punishment from God. Something that never came to pass and as such her first target was the 'unbeliever'.

-Meanwhile the Goths fought amongst themselves and against Valens' armies to exert control over the region with the Tervingi routinely winning but falling victim to infighting amongst themselves not securing their spoils and allowing the ERE to regroup and gain ground.

-Eboracum burns following the arrival of Theodosius and its peoples burn alive within as they could not escape. A tactic Theodosius finds vile and deplorable and the sniggering taunts of Valentinus leave him with no choice to extract the information he needs by force. He learns that Fullofaudes is the leader and architect of the great scheme and resides on the wall at Segedunum and is preparing for one final clean sweep of the island using the Saxones, Scotti, Atacotti, Picti and any other Barbarian with sense to fight for coin.

-Gratian is crowned and anointed Emperor, Dominus of the Western half of the Empire under the guardianship of Jovinus, Sebastianus and de-facto head guardian Severus whose motives are misguided and easily changeable. Something Sebastianus and Jovinus begin to suspect and as such begin their own plans and remove themselves to Sirmium to protect the borders of the WRE.

-The Alamanni following their near eradication at the hands of Valentinian find themselves being pushed out of their homeland and begin their long march south east with the intention to serve the EREmperor Valens. Valens meanwhile alongside his wife Dominica begins the great purge of the Nicene and starts to adopt more Hellenic terms much to the delight of his wife who believes they are restoring the old ways.

-Fullofaudes rouses his men and leads them to the fort of Segedunum that Valentinus had said he was at but was now occupied by Theodosius the Younger and his men. The forces of Fullofaudes bar
the Hibernii Scotti and Atacotti washed against the walls but could not break the resolve or fortifications. The attack was a trap, they had expected Fullofaudes to show his full hand and as such the Comes strikes and routes the Saxones who flee. The Scotti and Atacotti enter the fray but after many hours of fighting realise it is in their best interest to live and retreat leaving Fullofaudes with only his loyal followers. The final battle bore witness to the duel between Theodosius The Elder and Fullofaudes, Dux Britanniarum with both inflicting mortal wounds to each other.

-The body of the great Theodosius the Elder is brought to Ratae Corieltauvorum by his son, the new Dux Britanniarum, Chariovalda of the Batavi Foederati, Cunicatus of the long thought wiped out Silures, de-facto leader of the men of Isca Augusta whom fought alongside both Theodosius' in their fight to save Britannia. At the final farewell for the great Comes returns Flavius Magnus who had been sent westwards to combat the Hibernii that threatened the peoples there. His motives now seemingly along the lines of Fullofaudes having aligned himself with the raiders who had turned their back on Fullofaudes and could now operate in secrecy thanks to the newly dubbed Maximianus.

-The Alamanni finally reach the ERE borders after much travelling and bloodshed of those in their path to reach their new homeland safely. Their intentions seemingly unknown save their 'wish' to serve Valens and the ERE.

-The Batavi flee their homeland with the Saxones & Franci launching an invasion that forced the entire peoples that reached the shoreline to head to Britannia to where they knew of the Batavi under Theodosius and the now deceased Belgae stained there to seek sanctuary.

Never written a recap/summary before so here is the basic what's happened so far.

Hey everyone. I know it's been a long time since anything new. Life always getting in the way and such.

I've had a huge amount of writers block in regard to this story and it persists still. BUT. I will not be placing this on hiatus. I will be hopefully posting something soon but I do not know when.

Thank you all for reading up until this point. Here's hoping the creativity returns to THE LIGHTNING COUNT because it's a story I have enjoyed writing and will continue to write.