The End Of an Age

One question - why exactly has Christianity not spread into the Gallic Empire?
I didn't say it hasn't - it just hasn't become popular there TTL. Christianity wasn't as strong in Western Europe as it was in Africa and Asia until the final decades of the Roman Empire, and that hasn't changed here.

Overview of the Post-Roman World in 310

Part 2, The Italian Principate

Italy is a sub-roman state centered around Rome itself. Since 308, Andronicus of the House of ictorianus has ruled Italy as Caesar. The Italians still consider themselves the true Roman Empire, though most modern historians would date Andronicus's coming to power as the empire's official end. Italy is usually divded into four parts - Cisalpine Gaul in the north, Latium in the center, Magna Graecia in the south, and the islands of Sicilia, Sardinia, and Corsica.

Italy is, of course, ethnically and linguistically Latin. There are a few Hellenes in Magna Graecia, but they have largely disappeared by this point. A branch of the Alammani settled in Cisalpine Gaul several decades ago, and as a result the Italians there tend to be taller and fairer and speak with a distinct accent.

Religously, Italy has no single dominating religion, though Andronicus, like his brother, is a devout Sol Invictine. Many Italians are Sol Invictines, Christians, Mithraists, or follow the old Capitolinist faith, with a few Hellenistics in the south and Wotanists in the north.

Andronicus has begun enacting the same reforms that are in place in Gaul, socially stratifying the Italians. Like Gaul, Italy has abandoned the legionnaire in favor of the comitanses, and the professional army in favor of mercenary-supplemented levies.

After the empire fell apart, Italy was dependent on grain shipments from Africa and Egypt. When Africa broke away, these shipments became smaller, and when Egypt rose up in revolt, the shipments stopped entirely, leading to massive uprisings, sparking the anarchial period known as the Interregnum.

It should be noted that, due to their extreme expense, gladiatorial games are only held in the Flavian Amphitheatre when a new Imperator is hailed in Rome, meaning there hasn't been one in two years. As a result, gladiator' skills are atrophying, and the next one will most likely be amateurish by comparison.

Italy is a vassal state to Gaul, though this isn't something someone says to an Italian's face. Andronicus has, in fact, considered moving his residence to a northern city like Mediolanum.

Part 3, The African Empire

The African Empire is the youngest of the sub-Roman states. Ruled by the House of Domitius, Africa is ruled from Carthago. Africa is a largely Punic and Berber nation, with a Latin ruling caste. No single religion dominates, though the Christians and Manicheans are both prominant.

Socially, Africa is divided by race. The Latins, largely Emperor Domitius Alexander and his family and hangers-on from Italy and Sicilia, are on top. The Punics fill all the government and mercantile positions. And the Berbers make up the peasant class.

Economically, Africa trades with all of the other mediterranean states, and with the Sub-Saharan region kbown as Awkar. The Africans also raid their neighbors with privateers based in Malta.

Because of the enviroment, the heavily armored legionnaire proved to be shortlived. To deal with their main enemies, the Berbers of the Sahara, the Africans employ lightly armed horsemen, camelry, archers, and spearmen. The Moroccan Elephant has recently gone extinct, so the Africans don't use elephant riders like their Carthiginian predecessors did.

Although I have used "Berber" to describe the North Africans, this name is technically anachronistic. Those living within Africa's borders should more accurately be called "Numidian", those living outside are "Mazices".

Valdemar II

Banned
Anyone want to comment?

Nice update, but a single point to the Germanic tribes, the Saxons is believed to have lived in Mecklenburg and Holstein before the Slavic migrations, the area you put them in is believed to have been Frankish at the time or at least proto-Frankish. To north Italy, it's quite likely that it was still majority Celtic at the time.
Nice detail about the gladiatorial games by the way.

The African Empire will probably end up speaking the language spoken by TTL Punics (most likely Latin). At the long term, I believe the language of commerce and government will have an advantage over the language of the commoners.

Last edited:
Nice update, but a single point to the Germanic tribes, the Saxons is believed to have lived in Mecklenburg and Holstein before the Slavic migrations, the area you put them in is believed to have been Frankish at the time or at least proto-Frankish. To north Italy, it's quite likely that it was still majority Celtic at the time.
Nice detail about the gladiatorial games by the way.
I'll be honest, my information about the borders of the germanic tribes comes largely from a map from 1992 showing the situation at 400. If you know of any that show 300, please point me to them so the 310 map can be more accurate.

Part 4, The Illyrian Empire

The Illyrian Empire is a sub-Roman state stretching from Istria in the west, across the Balkans, and all the way over Asia Minor to the Euphrates. It contains a wide number of regions - Pannonia, Dalmatia, Macedonia, Greece, and Asia. Illyria's emperor is Diocles, a native Illyrian hailed as Imperator after Probus's death.

Illyria is probably the most diverse of the sub-roman states, including Latins, Greeks, Isaurians, Armenians, Persians, Suebi, Goths, Sarmatians, and Asding Vandals, to name the major groups. Both Latin and Greek see equal use as languages, though Greek holds the more prestigious role as the language of learning.

Religion is equally diverse, with Christians in Greece and Ionia, Manicheans in Galatia, Olympians in Pontus and Greece, Sol Invictines in Sirmium itself, et cetera. Diocles himself favors the Unconquerable Sun, though he doesn't take it to the fanatical levels of the Victoriani.

Illyria generally has frosty relations with all of sub-roman states except Africa. It is also not on good terms with the Goths and Vandals. Relations with Palmyra have improved recently, and the Illyrians consider Armenia a close friend.

Illyria is the only sub-roman state which still uses the legionnaire in any great numbers, though they too have seen the usefulness of the horseman. Becuase of the nature of their usual opponents, the lightly armored Goths and horse archer-favoring Persians, the Illyrians use heavily armored calvarymen, called "Kataphractoi."

Like Italy, Illyria has largely abandoned the gladiatorial matches. They prefer horse racing as a more "sophisticated" sport.

Valdemar II

Banned
I'll be honest, my information about the borders of the germanic tribes comes largely from a map
from 1992 showing the situation at 400. If you know of any that show 300, please point me to them so the 310 map can be
more accurate.

I can sadly not find a map for 300 online

But this maps for around BC, show more or less how the situation was until the Huns came to Europe. The primary changes
was between 1-300 was that the tribes between the Weser and the Rhine had united into the Franks (with the exception of
the Fries) and that the tribes in southen Germany had united into the Allemanni and had conquered Transrhine Germania
Superior and Transdonau Räetia

GermanenAD50.png

First of all, thank you Professor and Valsemar for those two maps. Both will come in handy.

Second, as to why I haven't really been active lately, my grandfather had recently taken a turn for the worse. He's getting better, but we still had to leave town to visit him earlier than planned, and this has left me without my notes, so my activities here will be more sporadic for the next couple weeks. Sorry about this.

Religion is equally diverse, with Christians in Greece and Ionia, Manicheans in Galatia, Olympians in Pontus and Greece, Sol Invictines in Sirmium itself, et cetera. Diocles himself favors the Unconquerable Sun, though he doesn't take it to the fanatical levels of the Victoriani.

Olympians? a variant of Christianity? the "Old-Time-Greek" pantheon?

Well, I guess I owe an explanation for what happened over the past (checks date), one month, nine days, one hour and fourteen minutes. First my grandfather passed away, so I had to spend a week out of state for the funeral :(. Then my birthday came along (talk about poor timing). After that I had been so busy that I haven't really had time to check by here.

Irregardless, I am back now, and I will continue the timeline Friday.

EDIT: BTW, Anybody know who lived in Choresm during the 4th century? I need help trying to name its rulers, and all the ones I can find were from the Middle Ages.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I owe an explanation for what happened over the past (checks date), one month, nine days, one hour and fourteen minutes. First my grandfather passed away, so I had to spend a week out of state for the funeral :(. Then my birthday came along (talk about poor timing). After that I had been so busy that I haven't really had time to check by here.

Irregardless, I am back now, and I will continue the timeline Friday.

EDIT: BTW, Anybody know who lived in Choresm during the 4th century? I need help trying to name its rulers, and all the ones I can find were from the Middle Ages.
My condolences for your loss. :(

The Lakhmids take advantage of Bahram IV's infancy and invade Mesopotamia. King Imru' al-Qais I ibn 'Amr establishes the Kingdom of Bilad Al-Rafidayn [Arabic for Mesopotamia] with its capital at Al-Hirah.

The Kushanshahs under Peroz II break away from Persia.

Ella Eskendi, king of Axum, converts to Christianity

Arius becomes the spiritual advisor to Odenaethus II

Diocles dies, leaving Illyria to his son Valerius.

The second Council of Tyre upholds the reforms espoused by Pope Donatus.

Victorianus III reforms the provincial structure of the Gallic Empire. The new provinces are Lutetiensis [North Gaul], Victoriana [Southwest Gaul], Gallia Australis [Southeast Gaul], Hispania Cantabria [North Iberia], Hispania Baetica [South Iberia], Britannia Superior [South Britain], and Britannia Inferior [North and West Britain].

Valerius is challenged by Maxentius, son of Maximianor the Illyrian throne.

Synod of Verulamium - the Western Christians officially break with with the Palmyrene backed church in Rome and Alexandria.

Domitius Alexander issues an edict of toleration for Christians in North Africa.

Maxentius drives Valerius out of Europe and into Asia.

War breaks out between Afrig of Choresm and Peroz II of the Kushanshahs.

Battle of Kabura - Kushanshah forces defeat the Afrigids.

Battles of Alexandria Eschata and Samarkand - The Kushanshahs again defeat Choresm

Valerius's fleet destroys Maxentius's fleet at Euboeia, ending any chance Maxentius has to defeat Valerius permanently.

The Sarmatians and Carpians invade Dacia, driving the Ostrogoths into Visigoth territory.

The Visigoths respond by leaving Thrace and invading Greece.

Victorianus III has immense baths constructed at Victorianum.

The Vandals invade Illyria and retake the lands they lost to Diocles, and then move further south.

Maxentius seeks peace with Valerius, allowing Valerius to keep the lands he has, forming the Asian Empire.

Pope Donatus attempts to heal the division between the Eastern and Western Churches, but to no avail.

The Afrigids gain the aid of the Guptas of the Ganges River Valley, who invade Kushanshah territory, turning the war in Choresm's favor.