THE DAWG POUND DYNASTY: AN ALTERNATE HISTORY OF THE NFL

CHAPTER THREE: THE 1999 SEASON

CHAPTER THREE: THE 1999 SEASON

Op-Ed Contributor

Will the Browns be the first team in history to go 0-16?

Cleveland Plain Dealer
By William Ross
Published: September 6, 1999

Watching rookies Paris Johnson, Brad Ware, and Dee Miller walk out of the Browns training facility yesterday, one couldn’t help but feel a little bad for them. Just five weeks ago Ware and Johnson were named the starting safeties for the 1999 Cleveland Browns, and Miller was named the #2 wide receiver. “It’s their job to lose,” head coach Gary Moeller told us after making the controversial decision to start almost every rookie on his team despite never even seeing them play once in person. Well, to the surprise of nobody except Moeller and Browns President Wayne Fontes, the plan fell apart almost immediately. Miller lost his job in the second week to veteran Leslie Shepherd due to poor play, and after a mind boggling four dropped passes and a two fumbles in a 35-3 loss to Philadelphia in the final pre-season game last Thursday, he lost out to fellow rookie Donald Driver for the final slot on the 53-man roster and was ingloriously cut.

The Browns finished the pre-season 0-4 and were outscored 159-12 in those four games. And although Moeller and Fontes were absolutely giddy about the so called “powerhouse defense” that would be headed by DE Jevon Kearse, the Browns D-line looked confused and overmatched after giving up 55-points to the Bears in their third pre-season game. By then even the increasingly clueless Moeller had to concede that starting safeties Ware and Johnson were not going to pan out in the NFL. He quietly renamed veterans Marquez Pope and Corey Fuller as the starting safeties on a team that is dangerously short on talent and leadership. The series of boneheaded draft day trades and questionable picks are coming together to form the perfect storm of mediocrity. The Browns were not expected to do well this season, they were an expansion team and expansion teams struggle. But as it stands now, there is not one player who looks like he can be an NFL superstar. Not one. We passed on Tim Couch, Ricky Williams and Akili Smith and all we have to show for it is a team with a few attractive defensive players (none of which have even touched their alleged potential as the 55-point drubbing from Chicago proved) and not one solid offensive player. In four games the Browns have yet to score a single touchdown. Doug Flutie, Todd Collins, and undrafted Chris Wallace from Toledo have all struggled to find their rhythm, and with running backs Tyrone Wheatley and Olandis Gary averaging 34 yards and 21 yards a game respectively, one has to wonder if this may be the worst offense in the history of the NFL.

Cleveland fans will be patient of course. We’ve waited four years for an NFL team and we are willing to give them some room to grow. But we still shouldn’t be blind to the fact that this team could be a lot better. Sure, we weren’t going to be a contender overnight, but this…this is a train wreck waiting to happen. Wayne Fontes and Gary Moeller have robbed Browns fans of a future, and for that we should be mad as hell. If the Browns go 0-16 this season, one can hope that owner Al Lerner recognizes the mistake of hiring Wayne Fontes, a man who single handedly took a Super Bowl caliber Detroit Lions team and destroyed it. It may be too late for this season, but if there is a bright spot to all of this it is this: some of these rookies have shown some promise. Defensive players Joey Porter, Dat Nguyen, and Jevon Kearse look like they might make some noise in a year or two, and left tackle Jon Jansen has done an admirable job protecting Flutie and Collins, who both have been sacked a combined three times in four games. It looks like all four will be get a lot of playing time this season, and that could bode well for the Browns in 2000, assuming Wayne Fontes and Gary Moeller are no longer making the draft picks.

1999 Cleveland Browns Starting Lineup:

QB Doug Flutie

RB Tyrone Wheatley

FB Marc Edwards

TE Desmond Clark (Rookie)

WR Peerless Price (Rookie)

WR Leslie Shepherd (Rookie)

LT Jon Jansen (Rookie)

LG Jim Pyne

C Todd McClure (Rookie)

RG Edwin Mulitalo (Rookie)

RT Orlando Brown

DE Jevon Kearse (Rookie)

DT Darius Holland

DT John Jurkovic

DE Derrick Alexander

LB Joey Porter (Rookie)

LB Dat Nguyen (Rookie)

LB Wali Rainer

CB Daylon McCutcheon

CB Ryan McNeil

S Corey Fuller

S Marquez Pope

Notable Bench Players:

QB Todd Collins
QB Chris Wallace (Rookie)
QB Moxes Moreno (Injured Reserve)

RB Olandis Gary
FB Terry Jackson
TE Mark Campbell
WR Donald Driver

G Zach Piller

Browns destroyed by Steelers in first game since 1995

The Cleveland Plain Dealer

April 21, 1999

99steelers-browns_zpsa8f46a89.jpg

(CLEVELAND) – The off season troubles of the Cleveland Browns continued into opening day, as the Browns stumbled (and fumbled) their way to a 35-3 loss to division rival Pittsburgh. Doug Flutie continued to struggle as he tried to find his comfort zone with wide receivers Peerless Price and Leslie Shepherd, going 13 for 26 with two interceptions. The dismal passing game was amplified by the struggles of running back Tyrone Wheatley, who ran for an embarrassing 33 yards on 13 carries.

“It was a rough night,” Browns Head Coach Gary Moeller admitted after the game, “this was not the way we wanted to start the season. Needless to say, we have a lot of work to do between now and next week.”

The Browns play division rival Tennessee next week in Nashville.

The strange thing is the media was unbelievably harsh on the Browns in 1999, and that sort of fed into the team’s anger. It all started in Detroit, where Wayne Fontes remained one of the most unpopular men in the state of Michigan over his failed tenure as Lions head coach. The Detroit media began to just brutally attack Wayne Fontes, questioning his decisions in the draft and ending every news piece about the Browns with “what the hell were they thinking in hiring that guy?” This word of mouth campaign soon spread to Toledo, where many locals picked up Detroit stations. From there is moved down the Ohio Turnpike until it reached Cleveland. The decision by Gary Moeller to name rookies as starters for almost every position only added to the confusion and anger. After getting crushed in four pre-season games, the Browns were destroyed by the Steelers on opening night, losing 35-3 in a game that wasn’t really as close as the score would indicate. By then reporters in Cleveland were calling for Wayne’s head. But then a strange thing happened. The Browns started finding their rhythm. The rookies started to mature into viable starters and Doug Flutie started to grow comfortable with Peerless Price and Donald Driver. Tyrone Wheatley became hot as a pistol, and by the midway point of the season, the Browns were a respectable 4-4, having defeated division rivals Baltimore and Cincinnati, as well as having put forth a very respectable performance against division leader Jacksonville in week six.

Jon Gruden on ESPN Radio (July 11, 2012)

Last edited:
Not sure what to call a TL that has a PoD on Cam Neely not being traded from the Canucks to the Bruins, or a better management that doesn't involve hiring coaches like Mike Keenan and the recently booted John Tortorella.

One of the NFL WI's I always pondered is "what if the Canadians benched Patrick Roy early on December 2nd, 1995 against the Wings. It was that game that led to Roy telling the Canadians to trade him and that he would never play another game for Montreal...which led to him being traded the next day to Colorado. Butterfly that game away and maybe Roy stays in Montreal, or even goes to your beloved Canucks. :p

Excellent work!

I'm a Michigan grad and have lived in the Detroit area for 40 years (though I never became addicted to Lions Kool-Aid and thus saved myself a lifetime of agony.)

Your choice of Cleveland as the site of a loathed NFL dynasty is ingenious. Generations of Clevelanders have suffered in Sports Purgatory.

Thanks! And it will be sort of nice to give Cleveland a sports team that is awesome. :D

As a Bengals fan and native of Cincinnati, having the Browns establish a dynasty is pretty much guaranteeing torture to the southwestern part of our state, possibly even a few alcohol-poisoning related deaths. The only thing that kept us afloat for those rough years was the idea that "Hey, at least we aren't Cleveland." Now we don't even have that. Thanks. ;)

Count me in, though. This looks like a fun ride. I'm going to have a love/hate relationship with this Dawgpound Dynasty TL, I can tell.

LOL, well the thing is this TL will give Tim Couch a decent shot now that he is with Cinci, he wont go the pro bowl, but he should have a decent run as starting QB for Cinci. But this big impact of a starting Couch as QB of the Bengals team is that it almost certainly butterflies Carson Palmer as starting QB for the Bengals...for better of for worse.

I think you double-posted Chapter 3.

Good update.

William Ross is going to have to eat his words.:D

BTW, it's preseason, not playoff.

Waiting for more!!!

Last edited:
One of the NFL WI's I always pondered is "what if the Canadians benched Patrick Roy early on December 2nd, 1995 against the Wings. It was that game that led to Roy telling the Canadians to trade him and that he would never play another game for Montreal...which led to him being traded the next day to Colorado. Butterfly that game away and maybe Roy stays in Montreal, or even goes to your beloved Canucks. :p

I'd rather see Roy go to Florida though, or even Toronto. BTW, I'm an ex-Canucks fan.:D:cool:

I love your timelines, and am really enjoying this one. It's rare that we get a sports timeline on this site.

At one point, Gordon Ramsay (the Chef Ramsay) was once a football player (soccer), so another potential TL about Ramsay being a football star and then football manager would be good.

Speaking of which, how is Seattle faring ITTL? Also, the NFL wanted to expand into Toronto, though I'm not sure if that will happen ITTL.

At one point, Gordon Ramsay (the Chef Ramsay) was once a football player (soccer), so another potential TL about Ramsay being a football star and then football manager would be good.

Speaking of which, how is Seattle faring ITTL? Also, the NFL wanted to expand into Toronto, though I'm not sure if that will happen ITTL.

Don't know enough about soccer to do a timeline, but that does sound like a great TL!

And as for Seattle, they will not radically change right away. But we will see he first sign of a radical change that will impact Seattle in the 2000 season

If the first season is going to be a losing season, I'd like to see them win a few games in the second half of the season and make it a 6-10 season.

If the first season is going to be a losing season, I'd like to see them win a few games in the second half of the season and make it a 6-10 season.

Should have an update tomorrow on the end of the first season. Needless to say, it goes better than anyone expects, although at 4-4 they already exceed expectations.

CHAPTER FOUR: THE 1999 SEASON, PART 2

CHAPTER FOUR: THE 1999 SEASON, PART 2

The great irony of the 1999 season is that even fans in Cleveland seemed to be oblivious to the fact that the team was making a serious run for the playoffs. After starting the season 4-4 many fans felt that they already accomplished everything they set out for that season. There was a sense in the league that the Browns lucked out with their early schedule and that things would come back down to earth in the second half of the season. They were in distant third place and had to play Tennessee and Jacksonville as well as an undefeated Indianapolis team. The overall consensus was that Cleveland was fighting for 500. They were going to try and finish the season at 8-8, but nobody even thought about the playoffs. That was, until the Browns went on a tear, winning five of their last six games going into the final game of the season, against undefeated Indianapolis at home.

Jon Gruden on ESPN Radio (July 11, 2012)

Excerpts from the book “Maize and Blue and Brown all over: A coaching odyssey” by Gary Moeller
Published by Random House © 2013

Chapter Seven: The Cuyahoga Comeback

I said nothing as Wayne Fontes and I watched the report on Sportscenter that the Lions had fired Bobby Ross. We certainly didn’t want to gloat; we both liked and respected Bobby Ross. But to see the Detroit Lions implode this season was difficult for both of us. I was a former linebackers coach under Ross and Fontes was the man whom Ross replaced after he was fired. We both were forever linked to the now former Lions coach, and we hated to see his career end this way. But more than anything we knew that it could have been us.

“There but by the grace of God go I,” Fontes mumbled under his breath. I knew exactly what he was thinking. Ross picked up what looked like the steal of the 1999 draft when he drafted Akili Smith in the first round. And both Wayne and I were sold on drafting Smith had he been available when we made our first pick, just three slots behind the Lions. But Bobby Ross had made the mistake we almost did and drafted Smith, and after benching starting QB Charlie Batch and then releasing backup quarterback Gus Frerotte the Lions learned a hard lesson: Akili Smith was not an NFL quarterback. After a disastrous 0-7 start, the Lions benched Smith for Batch. Unfortunately, the Lions would soon discover that Batch, for all of his skills, was not a particularly durable quarterback. After two games Batch was placed on injured reserve, and the Lions picked up our third string quarterback, Chris Wallace, off of waivers. Wallace, who was undrafted, was a great young man and I was happy that he was getting the opportunity to continue his career in the NFL. But after seven weeks backup Moses Moreno returned from his off-season injury and we needed to make room for him on the roster. To our surprise, the Lions picked up Wallace, and hoped that he could fill in at QB. Sadly for them, he was not able to help them at all, throwing four picks against one touchdown in his only start with the Lions. Ten games into the 1999 season and the Lions were still looking for their first win, and between Batch, Wallace, and Smith they had a combined five passing touchdowns.

But the Lions were not the only team imploding in 1999. The Ravens had started the season 0-7 before they started turning things around. They pulled off an impressive win over us in week nine, crushing the Browns 41-16 in a game that prompted me to bench veteran Leslie Shepherd and name Donald Driver as the #2 wide receiver. But it was clear that they would not be finishing over .500. Cincinnati’s new starting quarterback, Tim Couch, was having a rough rookie season, although he also was showing some promising signs as well. But they were poised to finish well below .500 as well. Pittsburg had struggled ever since crushing us on opening day, and although there was little chance we would catch up to Jacksonville, we felt confident that the Browns would not finish in the cellar of the AFC Central at the end of the season. In fact, I even started to see the small window of opportunity.

“You know it is funny Wayne,” I said as I turned off the TV. “When this season began, I was shooting for 8-8. I considered that the best case scenario.”

“Same here,” Fontes said with a smile, “and here we are at 5-5…and now suddenly 8-8 isn’t going to be good enough anymore.”

“We have a tough schedule ahead of us,” I said firmly, “Tennessee, Jacksonville and Indianapolis. Five losses between those three teams, and with the Colts making a run for 16-0 they will be a very, very dangerous team.”

Fontes began to chuckle.

“They’d have the #1 seed wrapped up,” he said with a smile, “and they’d be looking past us. Hell, they might even bench Manning. And let me tell you something Gary, any team that looks past us in the Dawg Pound is going to get bit.”

Sixteen and no! Browns bust perfect season after 31-28 overtime win

Sports Illustrated
December 27, 1999

manning_zps45c382ec.jpg

(Sports Illustrated) – Fans in Miami can breath easy. The Dolphins will remain the only undefeated team in NFL history after Colts backup quarterback Steve Walsh blew a 23-7 lead going into the second half, and Doug Flutie threw an impressive three touchdowns to lead the suddenly playoff bound Cleveland Browns into the postseason in their first season since 1995. The Browns, winners of their last three games going into yesterday’s matchup, were in a do-or-die situation. A win would mean a wildcard spot whereas a loss would have seen either Buffalo or Kansas City get the nod. However, the Colts, with the #1 seed wrapped up, seemed disinterested for much of the game, even after roaring to a 10-0 lead in the first three minutes of the game.

“We gave that game away,” Colts head coach Jim Mora said after the game, “we can’t afford to play like that in the playoffs, because quite frankly, we stunk.”

Rookie defensive end Jevon Kearse set an NFL record for rookie sacks, compiling 15.5 for the season, after sacking Colts quarterback Peyton manning twice in the first half. The unrelenting pressure from Kearse prompted Mora to make the controversial decision to bench his star quarterback in the second half.

“It was a calculated risk,” Mora admitted after the game, “we were not protecting Peyton like we needed to be doing, and I didn’t want Peyton going into the playoffs banged up or injured. We had a good lead so I decided to bench Manning. Hindsight is 20/20, but I don’t regret the decision.”

Unfortunately for the Colts, the Browns didn’t let up on the pressure on quarterback Steve Walsh, who struggled as the surging Browns tied the game up at 28 after a pick-six from Joey Porter in the fourth quarter.

The Browns now finish the season 10-6, and are tentatively seeded fifth in the playoffs. The Colts will finish the season 15-1.

1999 NFL Standings:

AFC East

Indianapolis 15-1 (1)
Miami 10-6 (6)
Buffalo 9-7
New York 7-9
New England 4-12

AFC Central

Jacksonville 13-3 (2)
Tennessee 12-4 (4)
Cleveland 10-6 (5)
Cincinnati 6-10
Pittsburgh 5-11
Baltimore 4-12

AFC West

Seattle 11-5 (3)
Kansas City 9-7
Oakland 8-8
Denver 6-10
San Diego 5-11

Playoffs:

Wildcard:

Seattle (3) vs. Miami (6)
Tennessee (4) vs. Cleveland (5)

Last edited:
It is interesting just how much worse the Patriots, Ravens, and Chargers fare here compared to OTL.

All three teams struggled in 1999, with all finishing 8-8. The key differences were:

With the OTL Pats, after a great start (6-2) they stumbled late in the season to finish 8-8. However, here their great start is only a 4-4 or even 3-5 start and they have the same late season collapse. Unlike OTL they loose to Indy on September 19 and Cleveland on October 3rd, which has a major butterfly effect on the rest of their season. At this point we are looking at a 6-10 New England team, and considering four of their wins in 1999 were by less than three points it wouldn't be hard to flip one of those games.

Baltimore was the exact opposite of New England, coming off to a terrible 2-5 start before rallying to finish 8-8. But one of those early wins was agaisnt Cleveland. In TTL Cleveland beats Baltimore in week three, and I switched Baltimore's OT win over Atlanta in week four. So without changing any other results, the Ravens are now 0-7 to start the season. Although they rally in TTL (just like in OTL) I figured the psychological impact of an 0-7 start would flip two of the six OTL wins to losses here.

San Diego was the same, with OTL's Chargers falling apart in the middle of the season with six straight losses. But again, in TTL you would add a loss to Cleveland in week 13 to make it 7 in a row. The loss to Cleveland here also takes the Chargers out of the running for the post-season. The impact of this would so deflate the Chargers that I saw them losing to Seattle in week 14 (in OTL they won). Again, only two games flipped and the Chargers are now 6-10 in TTL, and considering they beat both Oakland and Denver by 3 and 6 points in the last two games, I can easily see one of those games flipping in TTL.