The Cuban Missile War Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not cool to take over someone else's work, whatever the reason, without their OK.

If someone wants to post another thread with "this is how I think this might have gone" as an aside, that's one thing...but it's wrong to hijack someone else's work without their permission. Period.

It's not cool to take over someone else's work, whatever the reason, without their OK.

If someone wants to post another thread with "this is how I think this might have gone" as an aside, that's one thing...but it's wrong to hijack someone else's work without their permission. Period.

That is correct.

It's a completed timeline. Why is that a problem?

If you want to do a spin-off, do a spin-off.

Last edited:
It doesn't, or shouldn't matter how long it's been that he hasn't logged in or posted for. It's HIS work. Hijacking it is stealing, plain and simple. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, since AV is offline indefinitely, having someone take over is at least understandable. Changing details, like invading Norway, is OK if there is a good rational. The real reason I would like someone to update this TL is to extend the TL by 13 years or so. There should be no technological breakthroughs that put this TL ahead of OTL, and we know the earthquakes, etc. that would affect things in the interim. It is a little annoying not to be able to project myself into the present day in this ATL, because it ends so many years ago.

In the previous versions of the TL, there was referenced a Soviet invasion of Norway. However, before now it was never described.

Hnau

Banned
We really have no right to just decide to take over his work. In rebooting Bronze Age New World I contacted the original author and got his approval (even though he seemed a bit reluctant) and borrowed a few key ideas but revamped it completely from the beginning, didn't copy any text, etc. etc. Does Amerigo Vespucci OWN the idea that the Cuban Missile Crisis went nuclear? Of course not. But everything that has been written here about it is distinctively his. We can speculate in the discussion thread, write fan submissions, or do our own spinoff in another thread but we have no right to just give the timeline to someone else.

In other news, I am working on a new map for this timeline updated to current standards! :) I'll post it when I'm done.

We really have no right to just decide to take over his work. In rebooting Bronze Age New World I contacted the original author and got his approval (even though he seemed a bit reluctant) and borrowed a few key ideas but revamped it completely from the beginning, didn't copy any text, etc. etc. Does Amerigo Vespucci OWN the idea that the Cuban Missile Crisis went nuclear? Of course not. But everything that has been written here about it is distinctively his. We can speculate in the discussion thread, write fan submissions, or do our own spinoff in another thread but we have no right to just give the timeline to someone else.

In other news, I am working on a new map for this timeline updated to current standards! :) I'll post it when I'm done.

Okay, fine. Just regard what I posted as a suggestion, then.

10:33 AM – The city of Vancouver, British Columbia, is destroyed by a 5 Megaton nuclear bomb dropped by a bomber of the Long-Range Aviation Division of the Soviet Air Force. The attack is somewhat of an accident – Seattle was the primary target for the bomber, but due to repeated momentary contacts with Canadian and American fighters, the crew spends more time evading than navigating towards its target.

I was chilled to read this. On October 31, 1962, I was at Irwin Park Elementary school in West Vancouver, probably just a few miles from where the bomb would have initiated. I suppose my classmates and I would have been vaporized instantly.

None of my family would have been hurt, but considering that my dad would only have been nine years old at the time and my mom wouldn't have been born for another seven years, and I wouldn't be born for another thirty-four years, I probably wouldn't exist ITTL.

Nicely - and depressingly - done!

The only thing that I can quibble with is that "nuclear attack on military base at Guantanamo = retaliation by nuking Havana" seems an awfully big escalation from a Kennedy trying desperately to avoid nuclear war. Wouldn't the logical thing be to bomb where ever they thought the missiles were stationed? That would have the advantage of both being an obvious military target and (if they were lucky) destroying the whole reason for the conflict in the first place.

Grouchio:
I recall JFK being quoted as "1 chance in 4".
And he did not have some information we got after the Soviet Fallthat made it even more likely.

The OP storyline quotes at 5:59 "In his haste, Dobrynin fails to call ahead to the Embassy."; wondering what impact this has on Cuban Missile crisis?

The part when nukes are hitting city after city; found this clip kept playing it over and over...

http://kuroiso.org/a005.html

Sort of pulls everything together?

Last edited:
With all of the reboots of EVERYTHING from Superman to Star Trek going on nowadays, it's rather naive to expect that this one shouldn't be touched. I think that he should be asked about any changes, but if he's unavailable then it should be made absolutely clear what is AV's original work and what is revised. ALWAYS give the original author credit. I really shudder with Sherlock Holmes being updated, or the Lost World with a female Roxton. (And DON'T get me even STARTED on the rebooted Andromeda Strain of a few years ago...) One thing that I would suggest: AV didn't carry his timeline pass the year 2000, and we really shouldn't in any revision, either (other than generalities).

If there's a 1.10 made, an error that I caught is that the popes aren't consistant: mention is made of Pius 23rd at Vatican 2, Paul 23rd, etc.

Last edited:
Today I read through this fantastic thread for probably the 4th time. I have always enjoyed it but this time it roused my curiosity concerning the status of our land based ICBM forces in October, 1962. The U.S. Air Force could muster 188 ICBM’s at this crucial time, and the breakdown went like this:

27 Atlas D missiles – The first operational version of the Atlas, these were housed in semi hardened, above-ground “coffin” shelters and stored horizontally. An erector mechanism raised the missiles to vertical. They were then fueled and launched. Total time from receiving the alert order to launch: 15 minutes. The first three missiles were placed on above-ground, unprotected launch pads as an expedient to get them operational, the rest were in the coffins, which took longer to construct.

27 Atlas E missiles – The improved E models were also deployed in horizontal coffin structures, but this time the coffins were mostly buried with just the retractable roofs visible. Alert to launch time remained at 15 minutes.

72 Atlas F missiles – Further technical improvements led to the F model, which was also the first to be stored in vertical, underground silos. The RP-1 fuel (which was storable) was already loaded in the missile, and upon alert only the liquid oxygen oxidizer had to be loaded. Once complete, the missile was raised to an above ground position via an elevated launch cradle and then fired. Total alert to launch time: 10 minutes.

62 Titan I missiles – Developed as a hedge against the potential failure of the Atlas, the two stage Titan I was the first designed from the start to be housed in vertical silos. The alert to launch sequence was similar to the Atlas F, underground fueling followed by elevation to above-ground for launch. There were three missiles assigned to each complex, but limitations in the tracking and ground-based guidance systems would only allow one missile to be launched and guided at a time. Alert to launch for the first missile was 15 minutes, with the time reduced to 7 ½ minutes for the subsequent two missiles.

True “launch from the hole” capability was not achieved until the follow-on Titan II and the Minuteman I became operational. Although development and testing was underway on both missiles in October 1962, neither missile was deployed and on-line at the time of the crisis.

With all this said, I came across one minor nitpick with the timeline. At 3:20 on the last day, Amerigo only mentions missiles being launched from silos. However 51 of the ready missiles would have been launched from coffins, and three from standard launch pads. The “reserve” that was mentioned would probably have been the remaining two Titan I’s at each complex that had to wait for the first missile to finish its mission.

The Atlas D and E missiles were very vulnerable to attack and the 15 minute erection/launch time would have placed them right at the end of the inbound Soviet missiles’ flight time. It would have been a very near thing indeed to get them off the ground in time.

True “launch from the hole” capability was not achieved until the follow-on Titan II and the Minuteman I became operational. Although development and testing was underway on both missiles in October 1962, neither missile was deployed and on-line at the time of the crisis.

This isn't quite right. At least one test Minuteman was fitted with a warhead at Vandenberg AFB, and at least one other was declared operational from the first flight deployed in silos during the crisis itself, IIRC.

I'm away from my sources at the moment, but will correct/amend the above later.

ETA: According to Appendix A here:
http://www.wilsoncenter.org/sites/d...an_Missile_Crisis_Nuclear_Order_of_Battle.pdf

Two Minutemen placed on alert at Vandenberg on October 27, rising to five on alert by October 31st. These were taken off alert once the crisis ended.
Two Minutemen placed on alert at Malmstrom on October 27, rising to nine on alert by October 30th.

Last edited:
Really, the only thing I would like to change about this is to extend it to the present day. Of course, all extensions past 2000 would be "non-canonical", but a sequel is what I most would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.