The Castles of North America

Castles consisted of walls (bailey/enciente) and a gatehouse as a minimum. In other words, a stockade or fort. Which are scattered all over the USA, even if they no longer stand in their original form.

The earliest castles were just timber walls, earthworks or a combination of both. The fancy stone and/or brick ones came much later.

No.
Earliest stone castles were simultaneous with earliest wood and earth castles. Like Langeais and Doue-la-Fontaine.

Riain

Banned
Have crew served weapons like ballista or trebuchet be used by pre-Columbian armies in the Americas and castle like fortification will soon spring up.

Perhaps if Llama get out of the Andes and reach Mesoamerica those armies would get 'heavier' due to pack animals and make use of heavier weapons.

That said, the Maya built the walled city of Tulum long before the Spanish arrived.

aeral-tulum.gif

Have crew served weapons like ballista or trebuchet be used by pre-Columbian armies in the Americas and castle like fortification will soon spring up.

Perhaps if Llama get out of the Andes and reach Mesoamerica those armies would get 'heavier' due to pack animals and make use of heavier weapons.

That said, the Maya built the walled city of Tulum long before the Spanish arrived.

aeral-tulum.gif
Wow!. Places to visit on the list.

And they really did their research well for AC:Black Flag.

Mesa-America and the Caribbean seems to have some intact Colombian Age castles but even by then, the classic medieval style fortress was pretty obsolete. What you do have in many early Colonial cities are fortified towns, which inanition to the Star-shaped citadels sometimes had some substantial stone city walls. However I believe only 2 cities in North America have kept their city walls:

The Ramparts of Quebec around the Old City:
Quebec_City_Wall.jpg

The walls of Campeche in Mexico

Fort_of_San_Miguel_-_Campeche_-_Mexico_-_03.jpg

Other North American cities had stone walls like Charleston and Veracruz (and lots had wooden walled forts) but they have all dismantled by now.

This is all that is left of Veracruz's walls and fortifications, one small fort called Baluarte de Santiago:
Baluarte_Santiago2.jpg

Riain

Banned
Do the Presidio of Spanish California count at all? Nothing as impressive a Quebec but fortified to the required level all the same.

life01_large.jpg

One country not mentioned is Cuba which has both small blockhouse style castles and large forts at Havana harbor.

Also the hudsons bay company had prince of Wales Fort on Hudson bay in the both along with all the fur trading posts scattered around moth America which often became administrative legal centres in modern times. Securing the countryside through economic means

They may not be medieval castles but their are plenty of star-forts in North America as well which were the closest things to the castles of their days. In addition to the Citadel of Quebec (which is located within the Old City walls) two of the most famous I can think of are:

Fort Ticonderoga in New York:
Fort_Ticonderoga%2C_Ticonderoga%2C_NY.jpg

Fort_Ticonderoga

Fort George (The Citadel of Halifax) in Nova Scotia, Canada:
Citadel_hill.jpg

Citadel_Hill_%28Fort_George%29

So under what circumstances, if any, could there exist in modern North America a fairly large number of European style castles ?
They are mostly in southeastern Canada and the east coast of the US with a scattering in the south and Midwest and just a handful in the mountain west and Pacific coast .

I have this happen in my time line about an alternate Alaska with a monarchy .My reason was that nobles built castles to show off their wealth and power .And to show that they had all the class of nobles in Europe .
Then I also have castles built to defend the nations cities during 1800-1850 .

Uh... a plenty?
Almost whole Norway. Central (and Northern) Sweden. The whole Finland. North Estonia. And yes, St. Petersburg region.
I think I covered those off, St. Petersburg and the Baltic countries. Regardless, this has to be one of the furthest mainland forts from civilization.

Of interest in Prince of Wales Fort must be the isolation, there's pretty much nothing around you, and winters must have been harsh.