The Bourbons in Exile: After Varennes

I wonder whether the Dauphin's eldest sister is facing somewhat similar right now in St.Petersburg, with her husband and Princess Dolgorukova. That can be a blow to the health of Queen and Dowager Dauphine...if the latter is still alive, which I doubt.

REICHFURST,
What a sad end to the Spanish Dauphine Marie Louise! Completely rejected and humiliated by her husband and done in by that fatal miscarriage at age 46! Still, after eight children by him, I seriously doubt the Dauphin's openly favored mistress was still daisy-fresh when he finally took her as his morganatic spouse. Interesting that his open disdain for his sacrificing wife turned both his parents (but especially his mother the Queen) against him. I wonder how his OWN children will deal with all this? The Duke of Burgundy is already of age so at least he won't have to live under the same roof but what about his younger underage sibs? Will they have to live with their father, the woman who helped wrong their mother and their barely legit half-sibs ? Also, at this point [1879] Louis XVII has reached 80 living longer than any other French King and has technically been king since 1812 so that means he's reigned 67 years, was crowned 65 years past and has RULED 63 years [already longer than even his ancestor Louis XIV got to rule and in another five years he will eclipse that reign in longevity]. How is the Dowager Dauphine doing? She'd be 97 if she's still living! I hope she lived to regret her earlier pettiness re the subsequent Dauphine who ALSO never got to be Queen but was mistreated by her husband to boot so all-in-all, the Dowager Dauphine was better treated.
So will the Duke of Burgundy ALSO side with his grandmother, the Queen against his father the Dauphin and will the public not understand why he might have cause to resent his father should the Dauphin ever become King? Also, isn't it time for the Duke of Burgundy himself to get married and set about having an heir [though how will THAT wedding play out with his grandparents, his father, his morganatic stepmother, etc]?
What else is happening in France, etc. in the 1870's? Oh, here's heads up that in the next decade or so, the phonograph and cinematography are on the horizon.

Marie Amalie, by birth Princess of Naples and Sicily and by marriage Dauphine of France, known during 62 years of widowhood as the Dowager Dauphine, died at her rooms of the Tuileries Palace on 24 March 1866 aged 83.

Almost inmediately, arrived from several letters of condolence from all the european countries, especially from Prussia and Saxony, where the Dowagers Queens Antonia and Elisabeth are devastated by their mother's demise.

The heartbroken Louis XVII (who had a close relationship with his mother) ordened that her remains be laid in state at the Great Hall of the Tuileries for five days, were all the court paid respect to the old lady. On 30 March, in a large cortege in a carriage with black tapestries, the body was buried in Saint-Denis, next to her husband, following her requests.

In her will, she named universal heiress of all her property (jewelry, portraits and books) to her only unmarried granddaughter, Madame Royale (formerly Mademoiselle Thérèse), in "reward for the loving and devoted care and company that she gave to me in my last days". Also, she asked her son the King that all the domains that she received from him would also passed to her.

Following the request of his mother, by Royal Ordinance dated 1 April 1866 Louis XVII gave to his daughter Madame Royale the Principality of Béarn, the Duchy-peerages of Louvois and Bourbonnais, the County of Ponthieu and the Marquisate of Pompadour during her lifetime.

Now with her own income, Madame Royale became wealthy in her own right, and her patrimony became increased when by Act of Parliament dated 18 June 1867 she received her dowry of 300,000 livres for her exclusive use, given the fact that she never will married.

A progressive woman with clear ideas about the equality between men and women, Madame Royale became an staunchy support of a democratization in the education and employement for women. One of her first actions was that she attended to the second legislature of the Parliament in early August 1867 and presented to both Chambers a project who allowed women to study at the University of Paris, better known as the Sorbonne.

After heated and violent discussions, on 24 August 1867 was promulgated the Loi sur l'éducation des Femmes (Law of Female Education), who allowed women between 18-25 years to attend the University, although with some restrictions (for example, they were allowed to received the baccalaureate but were forbidden to received the doctorate). Also, the Law made even further changes when was declared that "woman should receive primary and secondary education as men" (la femme doit recevoir une éducation primaire et secondaire que les hommes) and the parents who didn't consent to send their daughters to be educated like the sons would be punished.

In all the Kingdom, every women since peasants to noble ladies, celebrated this triumph and Madame Royale was seen as the "Savior of the women of France". At court, however, things were seen very differently: nobles complained about how Madame la Boiteuse (the Lame Lady) -as they sarcastically mocked her- would think that now a husband didn't had rights over his wife, or a father over his daughter. But the King and Queen staunchly supported their daughter; Louis XVII even reportedly say: This daughter of mine proved she had much strength and courage that any of her most glorious ancestors.

The King gave even further responsabilities to his daughter, when by Royal Decree dated 1 December 1867 he appointed her Surintendante de la Maison de la Reine (Superintendent of the Queen's Household) and with this, gave to Madame Royale the highest female rank at court, in charge of watch and supervised not only the household but the finances of the Queen, who happily agreed with it.

TO BE CONTINUED....

As usual, great job Imperial Prince! :)

Will there be a Great War or something along those lines ATL? It could get really interesting, with the greatest land power (France and her allies) versus the greatest naval power (the British Empire).

REICHFURST,

Nice send off for the Dowager Dauphine who first entered the picture as a 16-year-old bride making the risky journey from Naples to London to join her betrothed and future in-laws but despite her husband's lameness and physical frailty proved to be a good support to him and, most importantly, bore him four healthy children before his early death in Courland when she was only 21. I wonder what he'd think of her being not only the mother of a successful King whose had a reign of over 50 years [in 1866] but also the matriarch of a large family of three generations all over the face of Europe.
Even if she didn't regret her earlier pettiness to the Spanish Dauphine, it's good that she DID give credit to her spinster granddaughter Madame Royale by bequeathing her enough to make her independently wealthy.
More importantly than being a lady of leisure, Madame Royale is USING her fortune and own love of education for the good of the women of France by not only having paved the way for women to receive a University education but also to help young girls be able to have the SAME opportunities for education as boys do in France. Nice that that this makes her a hero to women of all ranks and classes even if some of the more snobby and catty courtiers dis her efforts. Luckily, she has the full support and endorsement of both her parents. One wonders if there will be any attempt to derail her efforts her only surviving brother the Dauphin should he become King since he DOES seem to put more emphasis on hedonistic pursuits than the betterment of subjects' lives and opportunities.
Well, perhaps thanks to her foundations, France's 'Madame Curie' in your AH will actually be FRENCH rather than Polish born.
I always like it when the Royals do something to improve the lives of their subjects to help them improve the opportunities for their nation in general.
Thanks for this installment.

The political situation in Europe became seriously convulsed during the 1860s, the appointment of Otto von Bismarck, former Prussian ambassador in Russia and France as Minister President and Foreign Minister of the Kingdom of Prussia on 23 September 1862, just a few months after King Frederick William V inherited the throne from his father (the new King served as Prince-Regent since 1858, when a stroke left his father partially paralyzed and largely mentally incapacitated).

The new Prussian monarch (aged 42), completely relied in his new de facto Chancellor, only three years older than him, and enthusiastically support him in his famous speech to the Budget Committee of the Prussian Chamber of Deputies, in which he expounded that the only way that Prussia would be the greatest power in Europe was by the use of iron and blood, if is necessary.

Louis XVII was the first who felt threatened by this incendiary speech of that Prussian servant, as he reportedly remarked, and made diplomatic protest to the court, and also send private letters to his sister Dowager Queen Antonia and his own daughter, Queen consort Franziska, in order to intervene in favor of the peace and kept the balance of power in Europe.

The Prussian Queen consort, largely estranged from her husband, was powerless about the onmipotence of Bismarck at court; despite being almost 21 years in her new country and being the new Queen, Franziska still had a French heart and soul, as her husband remarked, and clashed constantly with the Chancellor; reportedly she snubbed in front of all the court, a fact that caused frequent quarrels with her husband. By the other hand, Dowager Queen Antonia, considered by many the real power alongside with Bismarck, was staunchly pro-Prussian and supported all the politics of the Chancellor. This betrayal to her blood and roots, as Louis XVII wrote to his sister, caused that the French King stopped his correspondance with the Dowager Prussian Queen.

Using their powerful army, Bismarck had the purpose to unify Germany under the government of Prussia, effectively excluding the Austrian Empire from it, although at first the Chancellor made an alliance with them.

The first serious clash took place in November 1863, when King Frederick VII of Denmark died and the succession of the twin Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein (who had a personal union of the Danish Kingdom since the 15th century) became unclear. The new King, Christian IX, claimed the Duchies as integral part of the Kingdom; however, Hereditary Duke Frederick of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg, claimed the succession as the descendant of Helvig of Schauenburg, and thus, by right of birth he was the next in line to inherited the twin Duchies once the Oldenburg royal line in Denmark became extinct with the death of Frederick VII.

The prussian public opinion strongly supported the claims of Frederick of Augustenburg, mostly because Holstein and southern Schleswig were and still are mostly German-speaking. At first, Louis XVII supported the rights of Augustenburg too, moreover when Bismarck took the extremely unpopular decision to agreed with the annexation of the Duchies to Denmark, according to the London Protocol of 8 May 1852, under which was affirmed the integrity of the Danish federation as a "European necessity and standing principle". Accordingly, the Duchies of Schleswig (a Danish fief), Holstein and Lauenburg (German fiefs) were joined by personal union with the Kingdom of Denmark.

Louis XVII agreed and signed the Protocol, because for him the holy rights of inheritance of the Danish Kings must to be respected, accordingly to the previous 300 years of tradition. However, the inminent change of dynasty caused a conflict in the Schleswig-Holstein issue. The French King, being a strong supported of the holy legitimacy of the sovereigns, was the first one who formally recognized the rights of Frederick of Augustenburg (mid-January 1864); despite his personal feelings (since the arrival of Bismarck, Louis XVII kept a lifelong antipathy and distrust towards Prussia), the French King decided to follow the decision of his Parliament and formally entered in an alliance to Prussia and Austria against Denmark after King Christian IX signed The November Constitution (18 November 1863), under which created a joint parliament (with the medieval title Rigsraadet) to govern the joint affairs of both Denmark and Schleswig, in clear violation of the London Protocol.

With the formal declaration of war on 1 February 1864, the Danish-Prussian War, also called the Second Schleswig War began.

TO BE CONTINUED.......

Last edited:
And here I suppose is where things really start diverging outside France. I'm torn between my favorite politician and third favorite European dynasty!

I think Louis XVII would be able to reign in Bismarck as long as he lived,but after him,not sure if Louis XVIII is up to the task.On the plus side,the French army should be much more capable than otl given they actually participated in a modern industrial war(the American Civil War).I also see them intervening in a potential Austro-Prussian War.

France ITTL will be in a better position than in OTL one...

I'm wondering if it will be an united Germany in TTL... My feeling says no, but will see.

Also, I'm curious about the Balkans... It seems that TTL there was no Crimean war... One of the direct result of this war was the creation of Romania, mainly to deny Russian access to Danube...

Please continue!

REICHFURST,

So, in spite of the new King of Prussia being the son of a French princess and married to a French princess, he's STILL going to listen to Bismark like his OTL uncle and cousin did. Bummer. I guess the Queen Mother of Prussia is more interested in how thickly buttered her Prussian bread is than any loyalty to her ancestral homeland [much to her brother Louis XVII's chagrin] and the Queen is somewhat estranged from the King and put under pressure by her father Louis XVII to try to steer her husband from his megalomania. I wonder how many 'I TOLD you so's' Queen Marie Leopoldine will fingerwag now?
OK, Denmark seems outnumbered and I wonder if Louis XVII will regret having sided against it merely because its new king wanted another province?
At least we know that France did NOT get invaded by Prussians or the government overthrown by 1879 so I guess Louis XVII's stance has helped keep the worst from happening.

OK, Denmark seems outnumbered and I wonder if Louis XVII will regret having sided against it merely because its new king wanted another province?
Don't forget that Duke of Augustenburg has a lobby in Paris - Louis XVII is pretty likely to listen to pleas of Dowager Duchess of Anjou/Orleans, an Augustenburg princess by birth (she's outlived her husband, remember), so this factor is likely to figure in this.

With the declaration of war against Denmark, Louis XVII formed again his War Cabinet, again leaded by Marshal Foley. In his opinion, the Royal French army would be quickly joined the Austrian-Prussian ones, who are ready to invade Schleswig.

Previously, on 24 December 1863, a French division leaded by Marshal Danjou, Saxon and Hanoverian troops marched into Holstein on behalf of the Confederation -as part as the federal execution (Bundesexekution) against Holstein-. Supported by the French and German soldiers and by loyal Holsteiners, Frederick VIII, Duke of Schleswig-Augustenburg took control of the government of Holstein. On 27 December, Louis XVII wrote a letter of Duke Frederick where he formally recognized him as Sovereign Duke of Schleswig, Holstein and Augustenburg.

On 26 January 1864, the royal army, leaded by Marshal MacMahon, crossed Strassbourg and meet with the Austrian army leaded by Wilhelm von Tegetthoff. On 28 January, they meet with Prussian troops leaded by Counts Helmuth von Moltke and Friedrich von Wrangel and on 1 February they crossed into Schleswig against the resistance of the Federal Assembly of the German Confederation, and with this the war effectively began.

The French and Austrians made a joined attack to the refortified Dannevirke frontally while the Prussian forces struck the Danish fortifications at Mysunde (on the Schlei coast of Schwansen east of Schleswig town), trying to bypass the Danevirke by crossing the frozen Schlei inlet, but in six hours could not take the Danish positions, and retreated.

In the Battle for Königshügel (Danish Kongshøj, translated King's Hill) near Selk on 3 February 1864, French-Austrian forces commanded by Marshal Danjou and General Gondrecourt pushed the Danes back to the Dannevirke. The Danish 6th Brigade had an important part, while the Royal Divisions of Saint-Louis and Saint-Honoré showed their experience and courage at battle, despite the strong snowstorm at −10 °C (14 °F).

On 5 February, the Danish commander-in-chief, lieutenant general Christian Julius De Meza, abandoned Dannevirke by night to avoid being surrounded and withdrew his army to Flensburg; 600 men were captured or killed, ten of them frozen to death; in addition, he was also forced to abandon important heavy artillery.

The railway from the south to Flensburg was never properly used during this evacuation and the Danish army only evacuated what men and horses could carry or pull by road, leaving behind much artillery, most importantly heavy artillery.

Some hours later, the Prussians and Austrians discovered the retreat and started to pursue. The French War Cabinet commanded that a part of the Royal Divisions remained at Dannevirke to kept the fortress in their hands, while other part joined the Prussian-Austrian army.

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Go France! :D

It'll definitely be interesting. Could we see an allied France and Prussia/North Germany/whatever it ends up?

As long as Bismarck is in charge of Prussia?Not likely.France as always is going to oppose a strong Germany and France is connected by marriage to both Prussia and Austria,so now that the King of Prussia has antagonised his father in law,it is likely that France would ally openly with Austria.Makes sense considering how much more Austrian ties the French royal family has.Louis' grandmother is Austrian,his wife is Austrian and his daughter is the empress of Austria.

It strikes me though that France is entering a lot of wars irrelevant to it's interests.I am not sure why it is in France's interests to enter the ACW and the latest Schleswig War.Some of Louis XVII's motivations for entering wars somewhat reminds me of the policies of Louis XVI and Napoleon III where they enter into a lot of expensive wars without any clear benefit.

Last edited:
It strikes me though that France is entering a lot of wars irrelevant to it's interests.I am not sure why it is in France's interests to enter the ACW and the latest Schleswig War.Louis' foreign policy somewhat reminds me of the policies of Louis XV and Louis XVI where they enter into a lot of expensive wars without any clear benefit.
I don't know about ACW, but here the King's sister-in-law is a first cousin of Augustenburg claimant, so he sides with a relative here.

I don't know about ACW, but here the King's sister-in-law is a first cousin of Augustenburg claimant, so he sides with a relative here.
That hardly constitutes an alliance.Besides,I don't think the French public would accept fighting any dynastic wars that are not in the interests of the French public.The days of dynastic wars were basically over for France since Napoleon.Louis seems to be fighting a lot of wars based upon his sense of justice,a bit similar to Louis XV,Louis XVI and Napoleon III but not to crazy levels like the latter two.He is nowhere near Louis XIV and Napoleon I where wars are based completely on gain.

Last edited:
REICHFURST,
OK, so France sides with Austria and Prussia against Denmark and sendsforces. I suppose allying oneself with giant bullies does up one's chances of winning a war but at what cost and for what? I agree with Darthfanta that there doesn't seem to be any pressing need for Louis XVII or France to get involved with this [to say nothing of sacrificing French soldiers' or innocent civilians' lives]. Perhaps if the case had been made that Denmark had cut off ALL Baltic trade and France somehow would suffer an imminent collapse without a ready supply of Russian caviar, amber and vodka but this wasn't even alleged to be the case. BTW, wouldn't Russia itself have had more at stake here considering that ALL Baltic trade to Western Europe MUST pass Copenhagen? Yeah, I suppose we the readers can be relieved if France somehow had no problems banking on the bullies to overwhelm a tiny country but I can't say this reader will be that enthusiastic or happy re that outcome. I guess that means no Danish granddaughters-in-law for Louis XVII.

REICHFURST,

I hope you're well -and if so, I hope you continue this AH at your earliest convenience because it's intriguing to think about even if all the twists don't always end happily.

The French War Cabinet, following the orders of King Louis XVII and Marshal Foley, kept part of the royal troops at the fortress of Dannevirke, while the other half, leaded by Marshals MacMahon, Bazaine and Danjou, joined to the Prussians and Austrians in the pursue to the Danish army of Lieutenant-General De Meza.

The escape of the Danish troops to the islands of Als and Dybbøl was disastrous; historians even compared this Napoleon's retreat from Moscow; with the addition with the loss of Dannevirke caused in the Danish public opinion a massive psychological shock: voices began to ask King Christian IX the capitulation and the surrender of the twin duchies, but the monarch stubbornly refused to do it.

After the successful siege and capture of Dybbøl and Sønderborg, the Danish had a naval victory at Helgoland (9 May 1864). Feeling confident with this victory, King Christian IX refused to had peace negociations, so the war continue. The French-Austrian-Prussian troops crossed from the mainland on boats on the evening of 29 June, and faced the Danish troops refuged at Als. The invasors had a definitive victory, and effectively invaded Schleswig and Holstein.

The final batte of the war was on the south of Lundby in northeast Himmerland on 3 July 1864, where the few Danish troops leaded by Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Beck were defeated. With the war over and the inminent threat of a further invasion, King Christian IX was forced to entered in peace negociations, which ended in the Treaty of Vienna on 30 October 1864.

The terms of the treaty were as follows:

• Denmark ceded Schleswig to Prussia and Holstein with Lauenburg was handed to Austria; also, was instituted the formal surrender of the enclaves in western Schleswig that were legally part of Denmark proper and not part of Schleswig, but was allowed to keep the island of Ærø (which had been administered as part of Schleswig), the town of Ribe and its surrounding land, and eight parishes from Tyrstrup Herred south of Kolding.

• France kept the strategical fortress of Dannevirke in his possesion, and also obtained the Schleswig islands of Før, Amrum, Sild and Rømø, and the Jutlandic island of Fanø; also they received the Schleswig key ports of Tønning and Husum. In this way, the Frenchs effectively obtained the control of the sea trade and commerce of Danish Schleswig, who was effectively "trapped" between Prussia, Austria and France.

Following the signing of the Treaty of Vienna, Louis XVII sent five French corvettes with additional army divisions to effectively took possesion of the Schleswig islands. Also, he ordened that part of the French troops remained in Dannevirke, Tønning, Husum and Fanø in order to secure their possesion.

King Christian IX, in such desperated situation, decided to began a separated negociations with France, who ended in the Peace of Flensborg (12 November 1864), under which the Danish monarch, in exchange of the restitution of all the domains obtained by the French, he would paid to the French Kingdom the amount of 2'350,000 krone (approx. 1'800,000 francs), who would be pay in three installments in the next two years. Under the terms of the Peace, until the Danish Kingdom didn't pay his debt to France, all the possesion regained under the Treaty of Vienna remained under French control.

The entry of the Frenchs troops to Paris took place on 10 December 1864: according to witnesses and later historians, until them, the most cheered and enthusiastic welcome that the population gave to their troops.

Under the cheers of Vive la France, Vive le Roi, Vive les Bourbons!! (Long live the France, Long live the King, Long live the Bourbons!!), the troops under the command of Marshals MacMahon and Bazaine (Marshal Danjou remained with the troops who secured the French newly acquired territories) were personally greeted by the King, Queen and the whole royal family at the gardens of the Tuileries, in the middle of euphoric cheers.

In retribution of his services to the Kingdom, Louis XVII condecorated the three Marshals with the Royal Order of the Holy Spirit, and in addition they were further acclaimed in the last legislature of the Parliament on 17 December.

The prestige and power of Louis XVII and the Kingdom of France was at his peak: with possesions in Africa and Denmark, and along with Great Britain (much to his dismay) the indisputable master of the seas, now the old French monarch had to faced the biggest threat of his reign: the ambitions of the Kingdom of Prussia and his rulers, King Frederick William V and Chancellor Bismarck.

Louis XVII knew that the Prussian threat, despite his recently (but fragile) alliance was inminent; he reportedly say the Prussian Eagle was indeed a crow over my head: waiting and waiting to attack.

In order to forestall the Prussian military hegemony in Europe, the French King decided to reafirmed his alliance with the Austrian Empire. On 12 June 1865 was signed the secret Treaty of Schönbrunn between both Louis XVII and Emperor Franz Joseph I, who would kept the balance of power against Prussia. Under the terms of this treaty (who was soon knew by the Prussians), both rulers promised to assisted to each other with armies in the case of foreign invasions. In the treaty, as a way to bonded even further the Bourbons and Habsburgs, was decided a marriage: the Duke of Burgundy, eldest son of the Dauphin of France, was betrothed with the Emperor's eldest daughter, Archduchess Leopoldina Antonia Josepha; however, because of the close affinity between them (they are first cousins) a Papal dispensation was solicited and granted on 16 August 1865 for the future marriage -being both bride and groom still very youngs, was decided that the wedding must to be celebrated when the Duke of Burgundy had 18 years, in 1871-.

TO BE CONTINUED......

Last edited: