Thandean-Richardean ATL Map Database

Is your name Alex Richards? No, it doesn't look that way. Thank you for your time, but I've asked the color scheme creator some fairly straight forward questions, as others in the thread already have, and now I'd like to get an answer.

Unnecessarily hostile much?

I gave you much the same answers that he would have. I've been working on the colour scheme just as hard as everyone else. You don't get it; Alex isn't the scheme's creator, he's a contributor. He just did the maximum amount of the work because he had to come up with colours as he made his maps, but (and you can ask him yourself on this) every time he came up with a colour, he submitted it for review (so to speak). The others in the basemaps thread credit him as the colour scheme's creator, which he more or less is, because he did the most work and kick-started the UCS's evolution.

You asked the colour scheme creators some fairly straightforward questions, as others in the thread already have, and I answered. Don't be petty.

Unnecessarily hostile much?

:eek: You mean like from yourself?

I don't know why you're the one being petty, and I don't care. I've asked some questions to Alex Richards and you're the one jumping into the conversation belittling another poster. I'm going to kindly ask you to stop before I'm forced to report your actions.

:eek: You mean like from yourself?

I don't know why you're the one being petty, and I don't care. I've asked some questions to Alex Richards and you're the one jumping into the conversation belittling another poster. I'm going to kindly ask you to stop before I'm forced to report your actions.

Report what exactly? Where did I belittle anyone? All I did was explain to you the circumstances, apologies if you find my tone too much to bear :rolleyes:. It's up to you whether you choose to be offended or not.

OK, chill everyone. To summise, ENZ has already covered most of the points, the only ones that look like they need answering are as follows:

-> Poland-Lithuania colours: Colouring the dominant one in Polish Brown when there are others get confusing when the dominant one has vassals within Poland, particularly one's that would only have one point of colour to indicate vassal status and are on the outer border of the Polish cultural area, hence the need to include a seperate colour in order to have a clear map. When you add Masovia/Lithuania with vassals or extensive territory into the mix as well, co-existing with the state given the dominant polish colour, then you end up with three.

-> As a side note on the Philippines, it's a 'tertiary Indonesian state' colour (for a third state covering multiple islands which will always be non-obvious), which gets given to the Philippines as the best modern day equivelent (the only other one is Papua New Guinea). If Indonesia is disunited and a state controls parts of Sumatra and Java, and another controls Borneo, Sulawesi and the Moloccas, then the second would have this colour instead of the Philippines.

-> I checked Romania before publishing, it is distinguishable from Russia if a vassal, but perhaps not at the lower zoom levels (see below). Any suggestions for which state it could swap with if necessary?

RCS Key Part 4.png

-> I checked Romania before publishing, it is distinguishable from Russia if a vassal, but perhaps not at the lower zoom levels (see below). Any suggestions for which state it could swap with if necessary?

The old Netherlands color, or the old Italian one? I dunno

I've been experimenting with the scheme a bit, like this take on Thande's DoD map. Most of the colors are self-explanatory, but I found that the A-S Bretwalda color works well as an England not connected with the Royal Family. If Canada winds up breaking up into a republic and kingdom, I'd give the kingdom Canada's color and the republic Australia's color, but thats beyond the scope of this map

DoD.png

OK, chill everyone. To summise, ENZ has already covered most of the points

Sorry if I was out of line in doing so, though :eek:

-> Poland-Lithuania colours: Colouring the dominant one in Polish Brown when there are others get confusing when the dominant one has vassals within Poland, particularly one's that would only have one point of colour to indicate vassal status and are on the outer border of the Polish cultural area, hence the need to include a seperate colour in order to have a clear map. When you add Masovia/Lithuania with vassals or extensive territory into the mix as well, co-existing with the state given the dominant polish colour, then you end up with three.

So by cultural area you mean an area of states surrounded by Polish red/brown, but the dominant (i.e. vassal holding) state having the alternative dominant Polish colour?

At first I considered Bulgaria, but then that's a little close to the Bosnia/alternative Balkan colour when you put them together.

The old Netherlands color, or the old Italian one? I dunno

I'd prefer not to change the 'core' of this, i.e. those colours introduced with the TCS. Perhaps swapping it with Argentina or Chile?

Sorry if I was out of line in doing so, though :eek:

Of course you weren't. After all, I do prefer the Primary reason for the 'R' to be 'Revised', though I added the 'Richardean' after consideration of trying to maintain naming continuity and the ease of remembering for questions.

So by cultural area you mean an area of states surrounded by Polish red/brown, but the dominant (i.e. vassal holding) state having the alternative dominant Polish colour?

Indeed. For example, in 1200, Poland is disunited, Greater Poland has several vassals in Poland (as do Bohemia and Galicia-Volhynia) and we've also got Lithuania floating around the place.

At first I considered Bulgaria, but then that's a little close to the Bosnia/alternative Balkan colour when you put them together.

Not to mention the fact that Bulgaria is just as likely to end up as a Russian vassal as Romania. Somewhere outside East Europe (due to Russia), the Middle East (due to Iran) or East Asia (due to Japan) would probably work best. What do you think of swapping with Chile or Argentina. Or perhaps New Zealand, as below. It dosen't really have the same problem as Japan I think.

GX-UCS 2010.png

I had a go. I swapped NZ back to blue and traded Romania and Argentina's colours. I remember a UCS version where Argentina was gold and I thought it looked quite good. But next to green Chile, I'm not so sure.

Also, I had a thought about the OP - perhaps to avoid some of the issues in the last database, you ought to really make it clear that there is a posting format, and perhaps even attach a blank base map (the newest one). Put all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

RCS.png

Last edited:
I had a go. I swapped NZ back to blue and traded Romania and Argentina's colours. I remember a UCS version where Argentina was gold and I thought it looked quite good. But next to green Chile, I'm not so sure.

Also, I had a thought about the OP - perhaps to avoid some of the issues in the last database, you ought to really make it clear that there is a posting format, and perhaps even attach a blank base map (the newest one). Put all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I'm not sure if that puts too much Purplely-Red-Brownish in East Europe (Austria, Bohemia, Greece, Poland, Serbia to a degree). Chile has the same problem with Hungary and Turkey (and Ukraine). What do people think? Oh, and could you reload that as a smaller file because there's an awful lot of blank space with that Map.

That's a good point. I'll sort that out when I have a moment.

I'm not sure if that puts too much Purplely-Red-Brownish in East Europe (Austria, Bohemia, Greece, Poland, Serbia to a degree). Chile has the same problem with Hungary and Turkey (and Ukraine). What do people think? Oh, and could you reload that as a smaller file because there's an awful lot of blank space with that Map.

That's a good point. I'll sort that out when I have a moment.

Huh. I don't know how that blank space even got there :confused:. Sorry, I'll fix it now. Yeah I noticed the problem with the purpley-browns as well, but the only colour it would really clash with (in the long run) is Germany's, depending on the TL.

I don't get it but guess I might have a bad screen but here's what I taking about.

Is there any way to fix this without geting a new montor?

Last edited: