Sic Parvis Magna: ME's Crack at Draka 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
You read my mind. How dare they make it to 1989! Maybe they are smaller than they are in the books though, so we have some hope.

Anywho, great Start ME. Keep it up.

Well, they definitely don't seem to hold Germany, judging from he "German-loving-traitor" talk. Possibly in this world they kept to their alliance with *Nazi Germany, but have understandably fallen out after the war. (There can only be _one_ true Master Race, after all. :D ) At a guess, I see them as having the territory of the Draka in Ian's scenario: Africa and the Arabian peninsula, plus maybe Turkey, since they took over the Middle East _after_ the Eurasian war and it's a bit hard to invade India or Russia by sea from Africa. :)

(Hmm. US+Allies/*Nazi Germany/Draka three-way cold war?)

This is off to a promising start. I am amused by the "progressive" Arab Draka being even less tolerant of blacks than old-school Sanders, but that's sadly the way it often is with minorities on the rise: stamp down harder on those at the bottom to highlight the fact that they aren't on the bottom.

Bruce

Well, they definitely don't seem to hold Germany, judging from he "German-loving-traitor" talk. Possibly in this world they kept to their alliance with *Nazi Germany, but have understandably fallen out after the war. (There can only be _one_ true Master Race, after all. :D ) At a guess, I see them as having the territory of the Draka in Ian's scenario: Africa and the Arabian peninsula, plus maybe Turkey, since they took over the Middle East _after_ the Eurasian war and it's a bit hard to invade India or Russia by sea from Africa. :)

Bruce

My gut feeling is they did not take Turkey or the Caucus. I am thinking Africa ad the Southern Middle East. Maybe Syria as the high water mark?

So Draka superpower. Third Reich and its Axis allies dominating Europe. In the long run I see things improving for Horthy and the like. Holding down Europe and global competition will strap Berlin and they will not be able to afford fostering a lack of cooperation.

Hooray! It's back :D

Though it seems Von Shrakenberg is wiser than his "racial purity" asshole compatriots - no matter how tough and badass the ruling class can be, you're still going to need numbers to rule over masses of serfs.

Would be interesting to see how far the Domination get before the ultimate collapse.

Ryan

Donor
glad to see the tl is back :)

EDIT: noticed it's been a month since the first post, will there be an update soon?

Well, don't I feel silly :eek:

Problem is, while I'd like to make conjectures, it's still way too early to be certain of anything. Still, would it be a safe bet for this timeline to follow the general form of the other one, such as the slow takeover by Draka interests of the EIC, a larger-scale American Civil War, and the like?

Back from my self-kick. I like seeing this taste of the modern Domination and the political and ethnic factional fighting.

And I sympathize with a parallel-universe version of Bashar al-Assad of all people. Good job. :)

Any updates planned?

How about more cultural divides in Drakan society? I have a problem grasping with the Drakas speaking in American Southern drawls. I would have expect there might be some kind of cultural prejudice from the more European descendant Draka to look down on what is stereotypically "red neck" white trash polluting their culture.

How about more cultural divides in Drakan society? I have a problem grasping with the Drakas speaking in American Southern drawls. I would have expect there might be some kind of cultural prejudice from the more European descendant Draka to look down on what is stereotypically "red neck" white trash polluting their culture.

You are aware that such a linguistic connotation is relatively recent (not to mention insulting by implication) and that such a dialect is anachronistic in the first place within the context of the Draka-verse? The Cultivated Southern drawl (yes, that's a real thing) is the closest thing in America TO a British accent, so why would the Domination have any discriminatory attitudes towards something closer-cut to them than Damnyankee-speak, especially at a time when the Drakans had to at least pay lip service to the idea being British subjects?

Personally I always saw them speaking half-South African English, half-Tidewater twang with elements of British Received Pronunciation here and there. As to why they wouldn't sound more British than that, distance does play a large role in such things.

You are aware that such a linguistic connotation is relatively recent (not to mention insulting by implication) and that such a dialect is anachronistic in the first place within the context of the Draka-verse? The Cultivated Southern drawl (yes, that's a real thing) is the closest thing in America TO a British accent, so why would the Domination have any discriminatory attitudes towards something closer-cut to them than Damnyankee-speak, especially at a time when the Drakans had to at least pay lip service to the idea being British subjects?

Personally I always saw them speaking half-South African English, half-Tidewater twang with elements of British Received Pronunciation here and there. As to why they wouldn't sound more British than that, distance does play a large role in such things.

I don't know that. Frankly that's kind off putting to try imagine any similarities between Southern drawls and British accents. OK then, forget the whole Draka being British-style speaking when I overlooked the Afrikaner-like speaking.

I just think that the Drakas' attitude would be somewhat hostile toward those Confederates given that they were Americans. With this Drakas speaking red-neck speak I saw that the Confederates became too dominant in Draka culture, and overshadow the "true" Drakas.

I just hope he does his re-write of the Previous Draka Timeline soon, im itching for a more

Status
Not open for further replies.