Republic of East Germany

Elidor said:
Well, The Alps will still provide ample training grounds, and since it is one state, there'd be less bureaucratic restrictions.
True, but things like genocide might put a damper on some of the good athletes.

hmm... I am not assuming a Third Reich victory here. I am just assuming the possibilty of a union-by-mutual-consent between the two nations.

Elidor said:
hmm... I am not assuming a Third Reich victory here. I am just assuming the possibilty of a union-by-mutual-consent between the two nations.
That may have happened even without Nazis, I suppose...

Wendell said:
That may have happened even without Nazis, I suppose...
Why do you think the Austrofascists took power, though? Fear of enforced union... it's not like all the Austrians desparately wanted an Anschluss...

Elidor said:
Well, it could have happened due to some far off POD... like "Grossdeutschland founded in 1848"
True. Or, the Central Powers win World War I, but Austria collapses shortly thereafter.

Wendell said:
True. Or, the Central Powers win World War I, but Austria collapses shortly thereafter.
Why would a Central Powers victory kill Austria-Hungary? It would strengthen the faith in the monarchy, not weaken it...

Imajin said:
Why would a Central Powers victory kill Austria-Hungary? It would strengthen the faith in the monarchy, not weaken it...
The same reason Russia fell despite being on the winning side. Austria was seriously losing until Germans showed up to defend it. Everyone knew by 1916 that Austria was playing second (or third) fiddle to Germany.

Wendell said:
The same reason Russia fell despite being on the winning side. Austria was seriously losing until Germans showed up to defend it. Everyone knew by 1916 that Austria was playing second (or third) fiddle to Germany.
Austria was not seriously losing- they did rather well in the Balkans, and held against Italy... how many powers can survive alone (they did get German help) being attacked from three sides? (Italy, Balkans, Russia)
Also note that Hungary played a major role in feeding Austria and Germany.

Imajin said:
Austria was not seriously losing- they did rather well in the Balkans, and held against Italy... how many powers can survive alone (they did get German help) being attacked from three sides? (Italy, Balkans, Russia)
Also note that Hungary played a major role in feeding Austria and Germany.
Austria did what it could, I do not dispute that, but the war was too costly for Austria, and it could be argued that the Germans were fighting on three or more fronts.

Wendell said:
Austria did what it could, I do not dispute that, but the war was too costly for Austria, and it could be argued that the Germans were fighting on three or more fronts.
Yes, World War 1 was an unenviable situation for the Central Powers... (especially the Ottomans- what were they thinking?) though that wasn't the plan, Italy stabbed it's allies in the back, for one...

Note that Germany collapsed after the war as well, but no one calls the German Empire unstable...

Imajin said:
Yes, World War 1 was an unenviable situation for the Central Powers... (especially the Ottomans- what were they thinking?) though that wasn't the plan, Italy stabbed it's allies in the back, for one...

Note that Germany collapsed after the war as well, but no one calls the German Empire unstable...
It hadn't collapsed in the same way that Austria did or would.

Wendell said:
It hadn't collapsed in the same way that Austria did or would.
Well, the German Navy incited the revolts in Germany, while the Imperial and Royal Navy remained loyal throughout the war...

Imajin said:
Well, the German Navy incited the revolts in Germany, while the Imperial and Royal Navy remained loyal throughout the war...
True, but that was partly because the German navy had never actually been used until it was too late.
(Excepting the U-boats, of course)

Wendell said:
(Excepting the U-boats, of course)
And one could argue that those did more harm than good, bringing the US into the war (sure, the Zimmerman Telegram was one thing, but would the US have even been interested if not for earlier attacks like the Lusitania (though the Lusitania was carrying arms))

Imajin said:
And one could argue that those did more harm than good, bringing the US into the war (sure, the Zimmerman Telegram was one thing, but would the US have even been interested if not for earlier attacks like the Lusitania (though the Lusitania was carrying arms))
I would argue that the war was lost for the Germans (due to later promptintg U.S. involvement) when they first ceased the "unrestricted submarine warfare."

Redbeard

Banned
An independent and free East German Republic wouldn't work, it simply would be too poor and with too little prospect for improvement for people to stay - with a prosperous Federal Germany next door and no wall between them.

Without a formal resonsibility the Federal German Government is not likely to invest anywhere near as much as in OTL, and that still has left large areas of the former DDR almost depopulated (SE especially).

I that context I think Helmuth Kohl deserves a place in history for his swift action when a small window of opportunity showed up for a unification. I'm not sure however if he would have acted similarily had he known the magnitude of the job.

But I'm very impressed about what has been done in the past 15 years - I don't know of any rebuilding process of that magnitude without a preceeding war.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Othniel said:
Probably splinter into two states...Bavaria and East Germany. I'm not so sure about it, but still the difference in culture without the Soviet Union to hold it up, may cause some striff and eventual division.

Good point. Bavaria could have easily splintered off of West Germany in 1948 if the NATO Allies hadn't been so keen on keeping their half of Germany in one piece. Now you have 4 roughly equal, fully German-speaking states (Austria is the 4th). If Rump West Germany and Bavaria both get rich as they did in OTL, then the Germans might think to themselves, "we did so great for 1000 years as a loose confederation, and in under 100 years of unity we've been annihilated twice. I don't want to reunite."

Chingo360 said:
Bavaria would have acquired Wuertemberg and Salzburg as well then i think
I disagree. Why would Austria give up Salzburg to Bavaria? Why would the Salzburgers prefer to be in Bavaria? Baden-Wurrtemburg is possible, though probably not just Wurrtemburg.