Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império"

Lusitania

Donor
Village of Nohaval
Island of Ireland
September 20, 1765

Seán T. O'Kelly did not know how he was going to do; he sat all alone in the village pub nursing his drink. When he had come into the pub there had been a great deal sympathy shown towards him including several free drinks but as the night had worn on they slowly had drifted away so that he now sat all alone nursing his last tankard.

His mind kept racing back to earlier this afternoon when the magistrate had shown up and served him with notice that his farm had been confiscated for unpaid taxes. It was only through the mercy of parish priest that they had given him till the end of the month to leave. Lots of good that would do; 10 days to worry and despair how he was going to support his wife and four kids with one more on the way. It was almost midnight by the time he finally hauled himself back to his family. Part of him wanted to disappear and not think about life anymore but the part that wanted to do what was right kept him on the path home no matter what waited for him there

For the last week Seán had tried everything he could think of, he had looked for work everywhere but to no avail. Each night he would drown his sorrows at the pub but every time he would stop himself and return home to face life. Then on Sunday the parish priest told him and his wife that he had arranged for both his oldest daughters to enter convent so they would be taken care of. Seán still cringed at the thought that he would have to put both daughters there to save them but he could do nothing about the boys since they were too small. So tonight was no different, the depression he had fought hard to keep from overwhelming him was growing stronger each day. The part that wanted to forget all about his problems was getting stronger. Maybe tonight would be the night he would finally give in he thought as he stepped through the door into the pub.

The pub was only half full, most looked up and gave him a half hearted greeting before returning to their friends and drinks. He made his way to the bar to order his usual.

“Evening Seán, been waiting for you” said the owner Patrick.

“I am a creature of habit, what else can I do, where else would I go? He replied

“Well, I have some news that might help” answered the bartender

“You know someone who is hiring” Seán asked sheepishly afraid to get his hopes up.

“No” answered Patrick as Seán face became crestfallen again, “what I mean is I have made contact with someone who can help you. I have a cousin who just recently arrived back in Ireland and is looking for fellows like you”

“What do you mean like me”, asked Seán suspiciously “arrived from where?” he added.

“Why don’t I let him tell you about himself? He is sitting over there at the back table, come on I will introduce you” He answered hurriedly.

Seán followed the bartender hesitantly; as he followed the bartender he noticed most of the locals were keeping an eye on him. When he got closer to the table he was able to see the stranger better he was surprised to see a well dressed man, not at all the person he expected after Patrick’s conversation.

“Patrick this is Seán, who I contacted you about, Seán this is my cousin Patrick” said Patrick the bartender.

“A pleasure to meet you, Patrick why don’t you get both of us a drink” said the stranger getting up to greet Seán.

Seán sat down wearily and waited, but while Patrick seemed friendly he waited until the bartender had put two tankards on the table before he started.

“I know you have a lot of questions and probably are quite a bit weary, so let me start by explaining my story and then I will answer your questions” he said taking a sip of his drink.

Seán quickly nodded before taking a long drink from his. Over the next hour and two more drinks Patrick told him his story and how he had arrived back in Ireland.

“I am here to offer you hope and opportunity, all you have to do is grab it” finished

Seán sat there absorbing what he had heard, finally he finished his drink then said “It is an interesting story you weave but in case you have not heard I am not in any position to undertake such a trip. My situation is such that I cannot even support my family never mind paying for passage….”

“You would not be required to pay for anything, as I told you all costs will be paid for” Patrick cut him off.

Seán sat there unable to make any commitments, taking that as his cue, Patrick got up and said “I will be through this village on the 30th if you and your family wish to come I will take to Cork where you will stay as my guests until the next ship comes in.” he added, then tipping his hat to the bartender left.

Seán sat alone for a while thinking about he had heard and his life, that night for the first time in almost a month he returned home sober, well as sober as any Irishman could be. He and his wife discussed the offer from Patrick over the next few days. They prayed to God and finally on the 30th seeing no alternative the family packed the few things they owned and waited for Patrick to arrive.

Early in the morning Seán and his family walked to bartenders house to await Patrick arrival, all morning the family stayed huddled inside away from the eyes of the other villagers praying. As the morning wore on Seán’s anxieties grew, what if no one arrived what was he going to do about his family.

The bartender’s wife sensing their growing anxiety went out of her way to reassure them. “Don’t you worries now, I know Patrick will be here soon, God is looking after you now. Sure enough at about noon news came that two wagons had just been spotted coming into town .

Patrick the bartender came in to the room just as the wagons stopped outside. “I just wanted to wish you and your family all the best. Seán, his wife and children moved slowly with the determination to not break down outside where they saw two covered wagons for the first. Patrick was seated on the first one. When he spotted Seán he got down from the wagon and approached them.

“Thank you for taking my offer” he said to Seán and his family when he reached them. “I have space for you all in the second wagon please follow me”. As Seán and his family passed the first wagon they could help themselves from looking in. Inside was another family, tired looking and exhausted like them. Patrick helped the children in and then Seán and his wife joined them.

With a quick exchange of goodbyes to the bartender the wagons were off. Seán and his wife looked back at Nohaval for the last time and the villagers as they looked at them with both apprehension and suspicion. They travelled for a long time and just as the sun was setting they finally made it into Cork. They travelled for a little ways in the city till they reached a large house with an enclosed courtyard. When the wagons stopped inside the courtyard someone closed the gate and a woman came out.

“I did not think you were going to make it in tonight” she told Patrick in a stern voice

“The roads are not in the best of condition this time of the year, but we made it, by the lords grace, Theresa” he replied back

“Well let’s not keep these good people waiting lets help them down and get them inside, I presume they have not had anything to eat all day?” she berated Patrick as Seán and his family along with not one but two families in the other wagon wearily got out of the wagons and into the courtyard. They were shepherded into a large room with three tables where they all sat and ate for the first time all day. In reality, for several people it was the first time they had eaten in days. Theresa, being knowledgeable about the dangers of overeating was careful not to let them eat too much less they get sick. They were taken to three rooms one for each family. There they stayed venturing out to the common room for meals while they awaiting what fate that God had in store for them. During the next days they were joined by two more families.

After four days in the large house they were again taken by wagon during the middle of the night to the docks. A ship waited tied up, the wagons stopped in front of the ship and each family made their way on it and into the hold. When all families were safely on board the ship set off to sea at daybreak before the low tide came in. With the O'Kellys, Ó Briains, O'Keefes, O'Kanes and O'Boyle on board ready set to add their contribution to the Portuguese Empire.

In actually years later Seán would make the trip himself and visit Nohaval acting as the recruiter this time. A scene that would be repeated over and over.

Conselho de Santarem
Ratton paper Factory
March 18, 1763

Jacome Ratton was not a happy man; he had come to the factory to determine what the reason for the low production numbers. He had been met by the factory manager and given a tour of the factory which although less than four years old had just recently been expanded but the increase in production he had been expecting had not materialized.

From the onset of his tour he quickly became aware of the problem. “Where are all the workers” he asked Antonio the manager.

“This is all of them, Mr. Director Jacome”

“You should be having twice as many people here, what was the use of expanding this factory if it sits half empty” Jacome shot back irritation showing in his voice

“We have been able to hire 20 more men since the expansion but there isn’t anyone we can get. The landlords will not release the people, they are clamoring that they are short of people, I have been in Castelo Branco and Leiria and it’s all the same. There just isn’t anyone available; the reconstruction, road building is taking up all the people. We are not the only ones desperate for people” answered Antonio defensively

“I know, there is so much to do and not enough people to do it” replied Jacome more to himself “I will need to talk to the Conde de Oeiras about this” he added to himself.

There was a commotion at the other end of the factory and Antonio rushed to deal with it leaving Jacome alone with his thoughts when he noticed one of the workers approaching him very hesitantly. When he noticed Jacome’s attention on him he hesitated and made to turn back.

“You there, come here” Jacome called out to him

The man came over very hesitantly, “You wanted something” he inquired

The man hesitated for a while then seeming to gather his courage spoke “I am sorry to disturb you Mr. Director, but I overheard Mr. Antonio telling you about the lack of worker…”

“What your name” asked Jacome

“Patrick O’Connor” he said

“Ah, an Irish” Jacome said as if that explained everything “How did you end up here”

“I was serving with the English army in Portugal and when the war was over I decided to stay behind” he responded a little unsure how this information would be received.

“Yes there seemed to be quite a few who decided to do that. Now how do you think you can help me regarding workers” Jacome asked

“Sir I know a number of my people who would be willing to work here” answered Patrick

“And how would we get them here I may inquire” asked Jacome intrigued at this fellows thinking and suggestion.

“If there was someone who could contact them, then people could be gotten here” replied Patrick his confidence returning.

“Unfortunately I do not know anyone in Ireland, do you?” he asked more to see what this man had in mind.

“Mr. Director, I can be your man in Ireland, I can get you the people you need” answered Patrick

“How do I know that this is not just some ploy for me to pay for some home sick man to return home” answered Jacome testing him.

“Sir, my family is here, my wife and children are in Portugal and Ireland holds nothing for me anymore. I still have family and friends there and do wish to help them but nothing more” answered Patrick with a serious look.

“I will think about what you said” Jacome said with a dismissal of his hand. Antonio the factory manager returned that moment and Patrick made himself scarce less he find displeasure.

“I am sorry about that Sir, is everything alright” he asked noting the worker leaving.

“Yes, yes I was just discussing the possibility of gaining new employees” answered Jacome, “Unfortunately they are overseas and the costs are too great” he added.

Jacome finished his inspection of the factory and departed soon afterwards back to the Capital. “Maybe I should broach this subject with the Conde de Oeiras.

----------------------------------

Conselho de Santarem
Ratton paper Factory
May 10, 1763

Patrick reported to his job at daybreak thinking nothing of the conversation he had had with the owner. Antonio had sequestered him after the owner had left but when he found out he had suggested getting workers in Ireland he had berated him to not waste his superior’s time again. Luckily for him there was such an acute shortage of workers that the factory manager had not done anything else. So he was surprised and apprehensive when he was ordered to report to the manager’s office.

He was shocked to find Jacome waiting for him instead of Antonio.

“Well Patrick it seems that you are going to get your wish. We desperately need those workers so I need you to come with me today back to Lisboa and be on your way to Ireland. If you still want the job”

Patrick only hesitated for a few seconds, before replying “Yes Sir, I won’t let you done Sir, thank you” he exclaimed excitedly.

“Go home and make preparations, we leave just after midday” added Jacome

Immigration and Emigration

The shortage of workers in Portugal and its provinces started causing great problems and labor shortages that in many cases limited economic growth. Following the earthquake in Lisboa and Southern Portugal the government restricted the emigration of Portuguese; emigration to Brasil was frozen and emigration to Portugal’s other provinces in Índia, Ásia and África was severely restricted. The emigration of skilled tradesmen was partially eased starting in 1765 at various companies’ requests. The government always strictly controlled the movement of people as it tried to develop Portugal and its overseas provinces without depopulating the country.

Following the joint military campaign with Spain in Southern Brasilia region of Seven Missions against the indigenous and the Jesuits in 1755 the government brought thousands Portuguese Native Américans to Portugal to work in the reconstruction of Lisboa.

In 1757 the first immigrants from Índia, and Timor were brought to Portugal to help in the reconstruction effort and the building of other infrastructure projects. The labor crises in Portugal reached its peak between 1763 and 1772 during which time large number of Áfricans were also brought to Portugal.

The majority of the immigrants initially worked in the construction industry providing the labor for the reconstruction of Lisboa and other areas affected by the earthquake then many went to work in the road construction projects while the rest were employed in other construction jobs throughout the country.

The creation of thousands of factory jobs in the towns and cities created a new rural depopulation crisis. Agricultural production declined as people left agriculture for the new factory jobs. Starting in 1765 immigrants from Índia and África were brought to work on the farms. The government enacted new laws to protect the original European workers and forcing the landowners to pay the immigrants the same wage. The subsequent growth of industry as well as the continued labor shortages in the 1770s forced the government to start allowing some of the immigrants to start working in the factories.

The government restricted the immigrant’s right to move around the country and only immigrants that were Portuguese Catholic were allowed to marry. The integration of the immigrants into the Portuguese society was a gradual process. The government viewed their integration as a necessity and enlisted the Portuguese Catholic Church to promote the social and cultural acceptance of these people into the general society. By 1778 the number of immigrants in Portugal had surpassed 200,000. The vast majority were men, with women only accounting for 20 percent. The majority of these immigrants ended up integrating into the Portuguese society, marrying and settling down.

The rapid industrialization of Portugal and subsequently of Brasil as well as the increase in commerce and the labor shortage in both areas was the catalysts for the Portuguese government policy of forced labor movement throughout the empire. The expansion of Portuguese territory in África, Índia and Ásia provided the government with a steady supply of laborers to other provinces that were in need of laborers. The depopulation also facilitated the establishment of Portuguese control of newly acquired territory.

As the Portuguese expanded their overseas provinces in Índia, East Ásia and África the subjugated tribes that accepted Portuguese control were required to provide a specific number of laborers on a yearly basis. Subjugated tribes that resisted Portuguese control ended up losing half of their territory and people and their leaders executed. These tribes were also forced to provide a much higher number of laborers on a yearly basis. The laborers were sent to other provinces to work on construction, new plantations, farms and the growing number of factories.

The movement of people changed the composition of the population in Portuguese controlled areas of Índia, África and Ásia. The depopulation of newly acquired territory was subsequently followed by repopulation of the territory with people from other regions as these territories were in turn developed. The limited number of Europeans in the empire meant that the Portugal became reliant initially on Portuguese Índians and Timorenses (people from Timor region of East Ásia) to provide it with the laborers and tradesmen to continue its industrialization and growth. Subsequently Macaenses (people from Southern China around Macau) were also recruited.

The movement of Áfricans into Ásia, Índia and Portugal was initially limited to agricultural areas. These Áfricans while not slaves did not enjoy the same citizenship rights Europeans, Índians, Timorenses and Macaenses held. By 1770 slavery only existed in Brasil and África and only Áfricans continued to be slaves.

In 1759 Portugal abolished slavery amongst the Portuguese Native Américans and prohibited their emigration outside the empire. In 1761 Portugal abolished slavery in Índia, Timor and Flores this was followed by the abolished of slavery in Portugal proper in 1762. In 1765 Portugal abolished slavery in amongst mixed blood blacks in the entire empire.

In 1763 an Irish soldier named Patrick O’Connor who had decided to stay behind in Portugal following the war of 1761 became employed at a paper factory owned by Jacome Ratton. In 1764 Patrick O’Connor was sent by Jacome to his homeland to recruit fellow Irish to come to Portugal. Starting in 1765 Portuguese ships sailing to England would pass off the Irish coast on the way home and secretly pickup Irish settlers. Several thousand Irish eventually came to live in Portugal and its colonies every year. The Portuguese always kept the affair as low-key as possible afraid of upsetting the English.
Jacome_Ratton.jpg

Jacome Rattan

The newly acquired territories also became the primary source of new recruits for the expanded colonial armies. Many young men preferred the prospect of being soldiers rather then working for the rest of their lives as laborers in some plantation. Subsequent taxation laws enacted by various provincial governments provided financial compensation to families whose sons become soldiers. These two sources provided the continuous supply of recruits to fill the colonial army’s ranks.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
Welcome to the boards!
Portuguese history is very interesting so I will be looking forward to what changes you can make.

Will Portugal be enlightened place in the long run?

Thank You,

The Portuguese quickly learned that to challenge the great empires of the world (England, France, Prussia, Austria and Russia) they would need to evolve and to do so will change Portuguese society forever and in doing so they will separate them from their contemporaries…. more on that in future posts.

How far did the Lisbon Earthquake affect the Portuguese stagnation (probably too strong a word, but i cant think up of another one at present)? Was it really all the aristocracy ganging up on Pombal?

The Lisbon Earthquake provided the catalyst for change and also gave Pombal probably the excuse needed to reform the country. As for the Aristocracy yes they fought him all the time but the Tavora Affair provided him with the means to cower them. In this timeline the arrival Duque de Lafões gave him an ally that he never had in OTL. In OTL he only returned to Portugal following Pombal’s removal even though he was in many ways a reformists like Pombal.

I find this TL to be very interesting so far. Portugal in the Age of Enlightenment is a very interesting era to explore.

IN OTL It is still regarded in Portugal as a missed opportunity, what Portugal could of achieved if his policies had continued. Well here it is.

Welcome to the board!
And Portuguese TLs are always welcomed (Gonzaga shameless points to his signature )!

Thank You, hope you keep enjoying.

I'm writing a TL that is a bit of a luso Wank that involves the murder plot of Dom Jose I to be sucessful and the duaghter being so frightened and now angry at the aristocracy that Pombal continues his primereship. This isn't the POD for the TL but merely the first portugese butterflies. Should prove to be a stronger Portugal though.

Speaking of butterflies I hope some have been able to see them even though I have not specifically pointed them out. Any comments on them are always welcome.

Welcome to the board, Lusitania!
I look forward to see a renewed Portuguese Empire!

A good first step would be to improve all levels of the education system of the time.

Thank You, the renewal of the Portuguese Empire continues all the way to the present but the shape and form as well as strength will be revealed in future posts. Yes education is vital but first Pombal has to deal with the keepers of Education in Portugal which will be done in the next post about the Church which will be posted on Thursday.

Welcome, Lusitania! I like your TL so far - s'il vous plaît, continue!

Thank You, my pleasure

Verney as a saint and staying in Portugal means both an enlighted Church in Portugal and the enactment of much needed educational reforms to propel the Portuguese economy and society.

One of the three cornerstone the Portuguese empire was built on but one always has to be careful what one unleashes lest it begins to control you. But that is much in the future.

Clever choice of James Hargreaves to start an industrial revolution in Portugal.

While much industry was created under Pombal’s guidance in OTL, in here it becomes a greater catalyst. One item that propelled the Portuguese economy was the building of the “estradas do Rei” Kings Road. In OTL there was none and when they did start it was too little too late. Just a note Portugal had almost no navigable rivers in the 1750-1780s.

Once again I would like to thank all of your comments and suggestions keep them coming. Hope you all continue to enjoy it. Till Thursday

Lusitania

Just a question, your TL reached the time when was happening the Seven Years War. Does Portugal still enters the conflict ITTL? And if still does, how is the country affected by it?

Lusitania

Donor
Just a question, your TL reached the time when was happening the Seven Years War. Does Portugal still enters the conflict ITTL? And if still does, how is the country affected by it?

Hi there,

In many ways similarly to OTL in others with different outcome. I do have a future post written dealing with military reform and Spanish/French agression as well as English "assisstance" and I do not want to give too much out right now.

Lusitania

Donor
Church and State

In 1750 Portugal was a catholic country where the church had great influence over the everyday life of the Portuguese. The Catholic Church held vast amounts of land, and wealth but that wealth was out of the reach of the crown and in the opinion of Pombal the Catholic Church was one of the main obstacles to modernization of Portugal. In 1750 Portugal’s population was just over three million with 200,000 in 538 monasteries. The main religious force in Portugal was the “Companhia de Jesus” the Jesuits. They ran the schools and had great influence not only in court but also with the Royal family.

Pombal had been greatly influenced while living in London and Vienna by the anti Jesuit movement in both countries. After the Lisboa earthquake the Conde de Oeiras was deeply embarrassed by the backwardness and the churchmen advocating the burning of people alive "auto de fé" as a means to stop the earth from shaking.

Pedro_Berruguete_-_Saint_Dominic_Presiding_over_an_Auto-da-fe_%281475%29.jpg

Auto de fé in Lisboa

The first conflict between the Jesuits and the government came with the conflict between the privileges granted to the “Companhia do Grão-Pará e Maranhão” and the Jesuit missionaries in Maranhão. In 1756, Pombal began a propaganda attack on the Jesuits by publishing several papers attacking the Jesuits and conspiracy theories about the Jesuits power ambitions.

In 1757 Dom José I issued an edit stopping the Jesuits from preaching in the countryside. This culminated with several Jesuit priests being implicated in the Távora affair. Pombal arrested several Jesuit priests but never tried them.

On September 3, 1759 Pombal issued a law expelling the Jesuits from Portugal and all of its provinces. The Jesuits were arrested, the government seized all of their assets and their schools were closed. They were deported to Rome where they continued to have great support.

In 1760 Portugal withdrew its ambassador from Rome and the Portuguese bishops as well as the Portuguese Catholic church stopped having any connection with the Holy See. In 1762 Father António Vieira published the “Tentiva Teológica” which advocated an independent Portuguese Catholic Church with the Pope continuing as the spiritual head of the Church but headed by the Portuguese Religious Council. The Council would be comprised of a partnership between the Bishops of Portugal and the King and would govern the Portuguese Catholic Church.

Pombal seized on the “Tentiva Teológica” as the means to break the Roman Catholic Church’s grip on Portugal and to replace it with a modern church that would be a partner in the reforms and modernization of Portugal instead of an hindrances. In 1764 the Portuguese government banned all “auto de fé", took charge of the Inquisition and installed Pombal’s brother Paulo de Mendonça as the Inquisitor-General. A crown censorship on all printed materials was also imposed.

Starting in 1765 using all means available the Portuguese government lent its support to “Tentiva Teológica”. A propaganda campaign was fought against the “Old Order” and anyone who spoke out against “Tentiva Teológica” was condemned to the Inquisition. Many religious people were brought before the Inquisition on charges of heresy and blasphemy for opposing the “Tentiva Teológica”.

The Bishop of Coimbra who was from a very noble family and had great prestige in the country published a pastoral letter condemning “Tentiva Teológica” and prohibiting people from reading it along with also prohibiting people from accepting new ideas including the new scientific French philosophy being encouraged by the government. The Bishop was arrested and brought before the inquisition. His pastoral letter was judged to be “false, inflammatory and seditious” and was burned in a political ceremony at the “Praça do Comercio” in Lisboa. He was striped of all his privileges and property and imprisoned in an underground cell at the “Forte de Pedrouços”. In 1778 he was allowed to leave prison on condition he accept the new Portuguese Catholic Church but he refused and stayed in prison until his death in 1788.

In 1765 Luís António Verney returned from Rome at the invitation of both the Portuguese government and the Portuguese Catholic Council to spearhead the modernization of the Church. A follower of the Enlightenment Movement it was his leadership, policies and vision that would guide both Portugal and the Portuguese Catholic Church forward. In 1771 he was proclaimed Patriarch of the Faith by both the King and Council a post he held till his death in 1795. He worked tirelessly with the new Council and Religious Orders to make the Church inclusive and modern.

verney.jpg

Saint Luís António Verney

All remaining religious orders in the country were reformed and new independent national religious orders were created to replace the religious orders expelled from the country. These new religious orders only answered to the Portuguese Catholic Church. All religious laypeople both men and women were ordered to present themselves before the Religious Council court and those that accepted the “Tentiva Teológica” were then presented before a joint session of the Royal Court and the Religious Council to affirm their adherence to the King and the “Tentiva Teológica” in public. Those that refused were deported and their assets seized by the government.

The new religious orders as well as all positions within them were opened to all locals throughout the empire in addition the religious orders were prohibited from admitting religious novices into either monasteries or nunneries.

Brother Inácio de São Caetano a pious man who originally was a Carmelite was placed as overseer of all missionary orders in 1765, this culminated with the closing of the inquisition in Goa. He spearheaded the Portuguese government’s missionary movement, thousands of religious people were sent to the Portuguese overseas provinces to be missionaries to the local people.

Caetano.JPG

Inácio de São Caetano Convent in Goa

The Portuguese Catholic Church in Portugal and all its overseas provinces was also reformed as all the Churches positions were also opened to all religious persons. Thousands of local Catholics religious people moved up in the churches hierarchy filling positions that once had only been reserved for white religious people. The first non-white bishop was Father Pedro Fernandes born in 1743 to a Catholic Native family from Goa. He became a priest in 1762 and went to work with the people of Timor in 1769. In 1799 he became the bishop of Dili. By 1780 Portugal had less than 50,000 people in 122 monasteries. This number did not include all the new monasteries and missionaries in the Américas, África, Índia and Ásia. These missionaries would play a huge part in Portugal’s rise to power in the 1900s, many times being the catalyst of that rise.

New Bishops were installed in América, África, Índia and Ásia to help direct the missionaries and the new Portuguese Catholic converts. The new missionaries worked side by side with the government to convert the locals not only to Catholicism but to also make them Portuguese.

On the diplomatic side the Portuguese government continued its diplomatic and public Relationship against the Jesuits with great success. In 1773 Pope Clemente XIV abolished the Jesuit Order, it was hoped that this action would allow Portugal to re-establish diplomatic relationship with the Holy See and lead to integration of the Portuguese Catholic Church into the Roman Catholic Church. This did not happen and it was only during the reign of Dom Carlos I in 1883 that diplomatic relationship with the Pope Leo XIII and the Holy See was re-established.

The Portuguese government headed by Pombal had shown the merchants it would not tolerate any dissent. The nobles who once had enjoyed considerable independence were brought to heel and shown they were not above the law. Lastly the Roman Catholic Church influence in Portugal had been broken and a new Portuguese Catholic Church had arisen in it place and made a partner in the modernization and expansion of Portugal.

Caetano.JPG

Lusitania

Donor
Hi there all, I am surprised that there were no comments after the last post. I was hoping that I would of gotten a little more reaction or questions I hope that my next few posts generates a little more reaction.

A note on the posts up to now, many of the actions and results did in reality happen especially in the early part of Pombal's tenure as Prime Minister but as time goes on the deviations from OTL will be felt.

Hope you enjoy.....

Educational Reforms

The new Pombal educational reforms instituted for the most part by Duque de Lafões were enormous to say the least. New schools, colleges, universities were opened. A new curriculum as well as new subjects was introduced to Portuguese students.

The expulsion of the Jesuits from Portugal in 1759 had left Portugal without a secondary school system since the Jesuits had run all of Portugal’s secondary schools since the 16th century. The Universidade de Coimbra had also been greatly influenced by them and was also greatly affected by their expulsion in addition the Jesuit Universidade d’Evora had also been closed.

The educational reforms needed in Portugal and initiated by Pombal were carried forward with great enthusiasm and dedication by the Duque de Lafões, who in 1764 became the Secretary for Education and Science. Over the next forty years he would spearhead the countries educational and scientific progress

To combat the lack of learning centers in Portugal three colleges were created in 1761 in the cities of Lisboa, Porto and Coimbra. They were called the “Colégio dos Nobres”. The objective of these colleges was to instill in the descendants of the aristocrats a modern education and was made prerequisite to enter university. Initially most of these colleges professor’s were foreign because not enough qualified professors were available in Portugal. At first there was very little interest in these colleges from the noble families so the government opened them to the middle class and the new capitalist class. By 1769 when all three colleges were fully staffed and had a full student body less than half of the students were of noble families.

In 1768 a new education law was published. The level of education a student was to receive was based on the social class the student was born to. The people who were to be farmers or laborers were to receive their education from the parish priests. Those who were to fill higher functions were divided into two groups: those who needed to learn to read write and do arithmetic and those who were to go on to university. This was the start of primary and secondary education system. This system would continue until 1826 when the primary school system expanded to all children.

The Duque de Lafões recruited Father Manuel do Cenáculo Vilas Boas who coordinated with the Religious Orders in Portugal and the help of the Portuguese Religious Council to help staff the primary schools and in turn the new Portuguese Catholic Church and its Religious Orders supplied over two thirds of the staff for these new schools.

The secondary schools were much harder to staff and again the Duque de Lafões had to bring teachers from England and Europe to staff these schools. It was not until 1882 that all the secondary schools were staffed. Over the next twenty years the secondary schools were subsequently opened in every Portuguese provincial capital including its overseas provinces.

Frei_Manuel_do_Cen%C3%A1culo_Villas-Boas.jpg

Father Manuel do Cenáculo Vilas Boas

In 1775 as part of the education law reforms the Duque de Lafões dismissed the entire teaching staff of the Universidade de Coimbra. The lack of qualified professors in Portugal forced Duque de Lafões to again fill all teaching positions with professors from foreign countries and it was only in 1777 that the university re-opened and it was not until 1782 when all the professors were hired. In addition two new faculties were added: Mathematics and Philosophy. The Philosophy faculty included science courses as well as courses in Natural sciences, Physics and Chemistry.

The faculty of Medicine was also drastically changed, practical education was imposed and for the 1st time students were exposed to patients in the local hospitals. This was the start of the Hospital University dependency that still exists today.

The faculty of law was also changed to include the study of the evolution of the judicial institutions from their origin to the historical evolution. This was the groundwork for the study of the rights in Portugal in the next century. The rights attributed to all Portuguese including non-whites in Portugal in the 1800s would not of been possible were it not for it.

The most radical of the Education reforms in the University was the introduction of structured course outline and structured teaching methods. Course manuals were introduced and students were forced to study from books. These reforms transformed the education in Portugal from the dark ages to same level as those found in other more enlightened European countries. While this was not accomplished overnight by 1800 Portugal education system was equal to the most enlightened European countries and more advanced than many.

7640-004-E141541E.jpg

University of Coimbra

Interesting so far. So basically we're seeing a Portuguese version of the OTL Anglican Church? The educational reforms are also interesting.

Lusitania

Donor
Interesting so far. So basically we're seeing a Portuguese version of the OTL Anglican Church? The educational reforms are also interesting.

Yes and no, the basic difference is that the Pope is still the spiritual leader of the church just not the political. It acutally worked to the Portuguese's favor that the Patriach of Lisboa (the only Patriarch in Western World could take it as defacto ruler of the church.

The biggest change comes with the encouraged "forced" movement of over 100k religious men and women to the overseas provinces and the consequences that would result and the highjack of the doctrine and adminstration of the church more on that in the future.

As for the Education most if not all were actually started, the difference is the actual results of them and their overall magnitude.

Thanks

Yes and no, the basic difference is that the Pope is still the spiritual leader of the church just not the political. It acutally worked to the Portuguese's favor that the Patriach of Lisboa (the only Patriarch in Western World could take it as defacto ruler of the church.

I see.

The biggest change comes with the encouraged "forced" movement of over 100k religious men and women to the overseas provinces and the consequences that would result and the highjack of the doctrine and adminstration of the church more on that in the future.

That's going to have a huge effect on places like Brazil - probably even outside that if some managed to escape to the Caribbean or hide in a Spanish-speaking country.

Lusitania

Donor
I see.

That's going to have a huge effect on places like Brazil - probably even outside that if some managed to escape to the Caribbean or hide in a Spanish-speaking country.

In OTL Portugal both Metropolitan as well as Overseas saw a huge deluge of religous people out of it. In Places like Goa the impact was that the old part of Goa was very much Catholic while the newly conquered outer areas stayed Hindu. But while alot left many still stayed and Portugal continued to have more than 100K people living in religious convents.

while here we have two things: those who do not support are expelled like the Jeusuits and others. Those that support are sent overseas but while Brazil receives lots it is Africa, India and Asia that really is impacted.

Brazil having over two million residents almost as much as Portugal the religious "modifications" did have huge ripples in society with people split over the new change. Many of the religious people in the province were expelled and replaced by more agreable ones. More to follow in later posts.

The religious orders had lost their lands in Metropolitan Portugal but were free to create and build new convents and missions overseas. THe one directive was that all land claimed by the church had to be worked by the church, the labour and social conditions imposed on the overseas provinces did not allow the church to own slaves or have peasants work their land.

What you have within a generation is a Church where the majority of its members clergy, missionaries become the new converts. It is very interesting time.

This leads into a very unitentional interesting times and results which the Portuguese.

Thanks

I quite agree - interesting times, in the Chinese sense. BTW, are you probably going to go for something similar to a United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarve with TTL?

Lusitania

Donor
I quite agree - interesting times, in the Chinese sense. BTW, are you probably going to go for something similar to a United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarve with TTL?

Something like that but we need to expand our horizons to include other crucial parts of the empire.

One of the most important aspects of European Portugal "Metropolitant Portugal" was the limited size and population. That meant that either you increase its size and/or population, or you will need incorporate other parts of the empire as equal partners in order to complete with the other world powers.

Anyway, I will be posting the next general section: Politics and Military tomorrow.

Lusitania

Donor
War and Politics

The Portuguese government needed time for its reforms to take fruit so all external affairs were conducted with the most prudence and realism of Portugal’s position in the world. Pombal approach was to preserve its alliance with England and to always portrait that alliance to England to be in its best interest. Pombal always tried to take a neutral stand because he believed that if Portugal openly sided with England it risked the risk of being invaded by England’s enemies.

In 1756 the seven-year war started between England and France. Portugal informed both England and France of its neutrality. In 1759 an English squadron off the coast of Algarve intercepted a French Fleet of seven ships. Two French ships escaped and sought protection from the English at the Fort of Lagos but the English pursued them and destroyed them in Portuguese waters. The French were incensed and demanded that Portugal close its ports to England. Portugal refused and in May 1762 a French-Spanish force entered Portugal from Spain and encircled Miranda do Douro in the north. Portugal did not have the means to resist and stop the French-Spanish force so it requested English help. In June of 1762 the English army arrived in Portugal under the command of General Townsend. The English sent 6 infantry regiments, 1 cavalry regiment as well as armaments and money. The French-Spanish force captured the towns of Bragança, Chaves and the fort of Almeida during the months of July and August. On July 10th the Conde de Lippe who had accompanied the English contingent was put in Charge of both the English and Portuguese forces. On September 16th the Luso-English army led by Conde de Lippe defeated the invading French-Spanish force at the Battle of Salvaterra.

On November 3rd Portugal, England, France and Spain signed the Peace treaty of Fontainebleau ending all hostilities. On February 10, 1763 Portugal and Spain signed the Peace treaty of Paris returning all captured forts and towns in Portugal as well as the Settlement of Sacramento in Argentina to Portugal.

The Southern Brasilia region known as Entre Rios (region between the Plata and Paraguai rivers) was being contested by both the Portuguese and the Spanish. In 1776 the Viceroy of Rio de la Plata was created by Spain as a way to counter the Portuguese influence and power in the area. That year the first Viceroy Pedro Antonio Cevallos invaded southern Brasil in an attempt to drive the Portuguese from the region. He was finally stopped in Rio Grande do Sul but the conflict continued to simmer.

The Portuguese tried unsuccessfully to enlist the help of England and France to settle the Luso-Spanish conflict in Rio Grande do Sul. But unfortunately the English were unable and unwilling to put pressure on the Spanish; France on the other hand sought to gain from Portugal’s situation so it completely ignored Portuguese requests. Portugal was left on its own to deal with the Spanish.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Portuguese Armed Forces

Following the 1761 war between the French-Spanish and the Luso-English forces the Portuguese government contracted the Conde de Lippe to reorganize the Portuguese Army. Conde de Lippe was born in England and well versed in modern warfare, having served under Frederick of Prussia and was also known for his great organizational skills.

Under his orders new military academies were created and Prussian military instructors brought to Portugal. New training and professionalism were instilled in the army. Several graduates from these academies went on to serve in the Prussian Army for several years to gain valuable experience. Military rank and position became based on merit not social class.

In 1771 the Royal Academy for Military Fortification was opened. This academy became on of the principle learning centers for modern siege warfare and military fortification in Portugal. The knowledge Portuguese Artillery Officers would gain at this academy would serve Portugal numerous times throughout the empire.

Portugal’s peacetime army in Portugal proper was established at 50,000 men divided into two armies. One located in the Alentejo and the second one in Beira. These armies would be integrated with infantry, cavalry and artillery but due to personnel and budget issue it would take the Portuguese till 1794 to reach the target levels. The Royal Police Guard was established and installed in all the major towns and cities as a means of maintaining law and order. The size of the royal guard was initially set at 35,000 and would be made up of full time soldiers (infantry and artillery) and part time soldiers (citizen volunteers who received six months of training and served for 1 month a year.

Portuguese armaments industry was greatly increased; in 1768 Portugal adopted the Crespi System and paid Giuseppe Crespi to set up a factory in Coimbra. In 1776 the Portuguese company “Companhia de Armamento” gained complete control of the Giuseppe Crespi factory in Portugal and initiated several projects to increase the range of the muskets. The company was able to improve the range to approximately 200 yards. New armaments factories were also created in Lisboa, Setubal and Aveiro producing muskets as well as canons and howitzers. The gun powder factory in Lisboa was also expanded and a new factory was built in Setubal.

Wilhelm_%28Schaumburg-Lippe%29.jpg

Conde de Lippe, founder of Portuguese Modern Military

The increased economic activity in the Portuguese provinces in África, Índia and Ásia put great pressures on the Portuguese Army and Navy to protect Portuguese interests as well as provide Portugal with the ability to expand its holdings. The continued European warfare in Europe, América, Índia and Ásia prompted the Portuguese government to institute its “Portugal Seguro” policy, which the Portuguese government advocated securing its overseas provincial borders, populating them for self-defence, defending the ports and cities and making the provinces profitable.

As part of its overall military reforms the Portuguese government began reforming and strengthening its overseas armies. Áfricans, Índians and Ásians (locals from Portuguese East Ásia and Macau) were recruited to reinforce the Portuguese overseas armies. The stipulation was that these soldiers were not allowed to server in their native province. The Áfrican soldiers served in Portuguese Índia, East Ásia and Macau. The Índian soldiers served mainly in Portuguese África and Brasil but were subsequently used in East Indies as well as Macau. The soldiers from East Indies and Macau went to serve in Índia and África.

The colonial armies were rearmed with arms and artillery manufactured in the growing Portuguese armament industries. Forts were built in strategic locations to protect Portuguese economic interest including all ports and vital cities. Border forts were also established in areas that both protected and extended Portugal’s control of its provinces.

The colonial armies in África, Índia and Ásia were established at 50,000 the same size as the regular army in Portugal proper. These were to be Portugal’s reserves to be drawn upon in time of need. In África Portugal used the presence of the colonial forces to increase the size of the area it controlled and to subjugate the local natives. Between 1775 and 1795 the areas of Portuguese control in África doubled when these armies finally reached their target size. While in Índia and Ásia they were used to protect and strengthen Portuguese Interests.

The defence and armed forces in Brasil were also reviewed and upgraded. Colonial forces reinforced the Portuguese regular army stationed in Brasil.

The first opportunity for the new Portuguese Army and the Colonial Army to serve together would come during the Portuguese-Marrocan War of 1769 when a joint Portuguese-Colonial army fought and won a series of battles against a larger but inferior Marrocan force. The Portuguese force had better leadership, higher quality soldiers, superior weapons and artillery.

The navy shipbuilding program in conjunction with the merchant shipbuilding program was expanded to provide Portugal with the ships necessary to defend its interests and territory. The navy shipbuilding capacity was further increased in Portugal as well at the overseas shipbuilding centers in Bahia, Rio de Janeiro and Goa. This in turn would allow the Portuguese Navy to become the second largest navy in the world by 1798.

In 1763 the administration of the Portuguese navy was reformed with the creation of the secretary for Navy. The naval command was restructured similar to the army as naval rank and position became based on merit not social class. In 1768 the Royal Academy of the Navy was created in the City of Porto to teach Portuguese Navy Officers and Portuguese Merchant Navy Officers modern naval techniques. Many of the teachers like all other higher learning centers in Portugal came from other European countries, mostly England. In time this academy would become one of the world’s leading centers for learning Marine Doctrine and Ship Warfare.

First a few things from OTL that wore happened earlier then in this TL:
1755 all Portuguese that married native American women wore free from infamy, also granted the freedom and property of all natives of the state Gão-Pará e Maranhão.
1758 all native American wore declared free(true that was applied to the civilized ones, the others that refused Portuguese rule or weren't close allies continued to be enslaved).
March,20, 1758 all Chinese wore free and could work in the Portuguese civil service.
April,2, 1761 all Christian Indians had the same rights as those born in Portugal.
1765-1766 Pombal ordered the destrution of vineyards to make space to plant wheat.
February,16, 1773 abolishment of the distinction between cristãos-novos and cristãos-velhos.
1774 all Indians wore granted full rights, equal to the metropolitan Portuguese.

In 1760 The “Companhia de Angola” was created to exploit the resources in Angola and the Congo Basin, the “Companhia de Moçambique” was created to exploit the resources in Moçambique and East África and the “Companhia de Bissau” was created to exploit the Portuguese Trade in West África.

No company for the Guinea Gulf, based on the colonies and trading posts of São Tomé, Príncepe, Ano Bom, Fernando Pó e São João Baptista de Ajudá?
In 1762 to help simulate the economy the government abolished all laws discriminating against Protestants giving them the same rights as Catholics. This allowed both Portuguese citizens as well as foreigners to invest in Portugal.

So I guess that the abolishment of the distinction between cristãos-novos and cristãos-velhos will happen as well here.

The creation of thousands of factory jobs in the towns and cities created a new rural depopulation crisis. Agricultural production declined as people left agriculture for the new factory jobs. Starting in 1765 immigrants from Índia and África were brought to work on the farms. The government enacted new laws to protect the original European workers and forcing the landowners to pay the immigrants the same wage.

An in OTL there wore many discussions about the vineyard was taking land from wheat farming, now the historians know that it wasn't true that the wine culture expand in to uncultivated land not in to wheat farms.
And there is a shortage of farmers in this TL, may I suggest a company to buy rice from the rivers Casamança, Cacheu and Geba in West Africa; and another to buy wheat from São Vicente in what will be the São Paulo state of Brazil?

The Índian soldiers served mainly in Portuguese África and Brasil but were subsequently used in East Indies as well as Macau.
The units from the Gates that wore formed with Hindi solders would not like to exit India, if forced they will rebel, in OTL there was a case with Marathas in 1896 .
But units with Indians that wore Christian, Muslin or Hindi casts that worked with the sea can safely work another parts of the empire.

The first opportunity for the new Portuguese Army and the Colonial Army to serve together would come during the Portuguese-Marrocan War of 1769 when a joint Portuguese-Colonial army fought and won a series of battles against a larger but inferior Marrocan force. The Portuguese force had better leadership, higher quality soldiers, superior weapons and artillery.
Is Mazagão the provisional capital of Portuguese Morocco?

I have looked to maps with the places that Portugal had an interest, if they get even half of them it will be fun.;):cool::D

Lusitania

Donor
I guess I owe all the readers an explanation, I have pre-written the history to the 19th century and when I post it here I forgot to explain my style of writing. The first set of stories deal with specific topics that impacted the entire country. Church, economy, armed forced, etc. Secondly will follow detailed information about the Portuguese empires overseas provinces and how they progressed and changed.

Now most important is the time scale, the stories up to now and also dealing with the overseas provinces are written only for a specific reign of king/queen. In the case of the story till now is from 1750 to 1777 to coincide with the reign of Rei Jose I. This will continue till the conclusion of the Portuguese civil war in 1840s and the start of Rainha Maria I reign and the proclamation of the second Portuguese constitution. Enough on that I am letting a lot out of the bag and a lot of history has to be explained and discussed before we get to that.

I have been meaning to explain my history is written before and feel that I need to explain it now before I post the next posting which is the final general posting before I delve into the overseas provinces and explaining how the empire progresses.

Thanks

First a few things from OTL that wore happened earlier then in this TL:
1755 all Portuguese that married native American women wore free from infamy, also granted the freedom and property of all natives of the state Gão-Pará e Maranhão.
1758 all native American wore declared free(true that was applied to the civilized ones, the others that refused Portuguese rule or weren't close allies continued to be enslaved).
March,20, 1758 all Chinese wore free and could work in the Portuguese civil service.
April,2, 1761 all Christian Indians had the same rights as those born in Portugal.
1765-1766 Pombal ordered the destruction of vineyards to make space to plant wheat.
February,16, 1773 abolishment of the distinction between cristãos-novos and cristãos-velhos.
1774 all Indians wore granted full rights, equal to the metropolitan Portuguese.

The devolving of Portuguese citizenship to non-Europeans will be explained when I talk about the Portuguese overseas provinces and Portugal’s un-colonization architecture Manuel de Saldanha e Albuquerque.

No company for the Guinea Gulf, based on the colonies and trading posts of São Tomé, Príncepe, Ano Bom, Fernando Pó e São João Baptista de Ajudá?

All of Africa is covered in future posts.

So I guess that the abolishment of the distinction between cristãos-novos and cristãos-velhos will happen as well here.

The creation of the Portuguese Catholic Church allows for two things, evangelization of the church (directed externally) and the tolerance of non-Catholics in Portugal. In time this goes much grander than anything happening in Europe in OTL.

An in OTL there wore many discussions about the vineyard was taking land from wheat farming, now the historians know that it wasn't true that the wine culture expand in to uncultivated land not in to wheat farms.
And there is a shortage of farmers in this TL, may I suggest a company to buy rice from the rivers Casamança, Cacheu and Geba in West Africa; and another to buy wheat from São Vicente in what will be the São Paulo state of Brazil?

The shortage of farmer workers in the 18th century Portugal was a huge cultural and social problem. The introduction of non-European workers in the villages was at first resented by the “whites” but the governments laws (backed by public wiping and prison) as well as churches strong arm preaching (there were several people who not only were imprisoned but also excommunicated for being anti-church followers).

The availability of these workers actually increased both wine and wheat production in Portuguese Metropolitan. As for the companies involvement in the stimulation of agricultural products in the overseas provinces, well let me show what happens in future posts.

I cannot emphasize enough that the most important economical development in Metropolitant Portugal was the creation of the "Estradas do Rei" Kings Roads. Till this time Portugal had no real all weather roads. In other parts of Europe (Espanha excluded) roads were built that allowed for the movement of goods and people. One of the biggest obstacles Pombal and his government faced in the aftermath of the 1755 Earthquake was the transportation of food during the winter months from the Portuguese interior to Lisboa. These roads provided for the first time the means for goods (raw material, manufactured and agricultural) to easily move throught the kingdom. The increase in production in everything would not of been supported without these roads.

In OTL Portugal had virtually no such roads till the middle of the 19th century just like Espanha which the French found out to their determent.

The units from the Gates that wore formed with Hindi solders would not like to exit India, if forced they will rebel, in OTL there was a case with Marathas in 1896.
But units with Indians that wore Christian, Muslin or Hindi casts that worked with the sea can safely work another parts of the empire.

To understand what happened in the Portuguese overseas provinces especially in Africa and Asia we need to understand the impact of the Portuguese trinity and their specific role but also how they worked together towards (spoiler) Portugalization of the people living under Portuguese empire. Just a note this also worked the other way as the Portuguese culture was also changed.

Is Mazagão the provisional capital of Portuguese Morocco?

Yes in the 18th century Mazagão was the last remnant of Portugal’s once extensive North Africa holdings. In OTL the Portuguese abandoned it because the costs outweighed the benefits. Here pride and Morrocan aggression make it a continued Portuguese thorn.

I have looked to maps with the places that Portugal had an interest, if they get even half of them it will be fun.

Much more to follow and yes it will be fun.

Thanks
Lusitania

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
As promised here is the latest post:

Royal Opposition & Disposition

D. Jose I married Mariana Vitória de Espanha daughter of Filipe V de Espanha in 1729. They only had four daughters:
· D. Maria Francisca born 1734,
· D. Maria Ana Francisca born 1736,
· D. Maria Francisca Doroteia born 1739
· D. Maria Francisca Benedita born 1746.

The Queen Consort and her daughters unlike her husband had a terrible dislike for Pombal and his growing influence in court and his reforms. Her opposition to Pombal came to a head when she and her daughters interceded on behalf of the family members of those condemned during what became known as the Tavora affair in 1758. While they did sway the king in pardoning the family members they were unable to stop them from being sent overseas.

The Queen and her daughters begged and pleaded for D. Jose I to dismiss Pombal for the sake of the country but his faith in Pombal remained solid so he dismissed their pleading and requests. This only made them more determined and resolved in their opposition to the Pombal.

Following the Tavora affair the Queen and her daughters had in essence became Pombal’s only major opposition. So Pombal set out to reduce their influence in court. His first attempt to match the eldest daughter with someone more in line with his thinking was a failure when in 1760 the D. Maria Francisca was married to her uncle Pedro de Bragança. A marriage arranged by her mother the Queen.

As for the other three daughters he convinced the King to allow him to arrange their marriages in order to strengthen Portugal politically. Pombal worked feverishly and was able to pair all three of them off. The Queen disapproved all of the matches found by Pombal but the King overrode her objections and consented to each of the marriages.

In 1762 the second oldest daughter D. Maria Ana Francisca was married to her uncle the recently widowed Filipe I de Bourbon-Parma, brother of her mother.

In 1763 he concludes a marriage between the youngest of D. Jose I daughters D. Maria Francisca Benedita and Principe Ferdinando Antonio Pasquale Giovanni Nepomuceno Serafino Gennaro Benedetto of Naples and Sicily, son of Espanha’s Carlos III.

In 1763 D. Maria Francisca Doroteia was married to William, Duke of Cumberland younger son of Jorge II of Grã-Bretanha. In the previous year he had accompanied General Townsend and the English army during its foray in Portugal during the later part of the Seven Year War. Unfortunately he had gotten sick (heart attack) soon after his arrival and was forced to stay in Portugal while he recuperated. While in court he and D. Maria Francisca Doroteia developed a liking to each other and following his recovery Pombal arranged for them to be married.

The Queen and her entourage were in shock at the development and their apparent predicament. In less than three years Pombal had greatly reduced the influence and power of the Royal family in court. But in 1765 circumstances provided them with renewed vigor in their opposition to Pombal. The “break” of the Portuguese Catholic Church and Rome shocked both the Queen and D. Maria Francisca, heir to the throne.

Unfortunatly in 1768 The Queen suffered a heart attack which left her incappacitated till her death in 1770.

********************************************************************************************

The Order of Christ Conspiracy

The Conspirators

In 1760 Princesa Maria Francisca, the heir to the throne married her uncle Dom Pedro III, brother to the King. Donna Maria and her husband much like her father were not interested in political matters. Donna Maria and Dom Pedro were very religious and favored the “Companhia de Jesus” Jesuit Order.

They became distressed with the religious politics that were being advanced by Pombal and the new Portuguese Religious Council. In their confidence of immunity because of their proximity to the King (Dom Pedro being the King’s brother and Donna Maria being his daughter) organized themselves against Pombal and those advocating an Independent Portuguese Catholic Church thus making themselves the main opposition to Pombal and the Portuguese Catholic Church.

The Jesuits who had already been expelled from Portugal and were locked in a dirty propaganda war with the Portuguese government provided Donna Maria and Dom Pedro through the ambassador from Spain with the necessary money to organize and plan their opposition. Two prominent nobles were recruited the Marquês de Angela and the Visconde of Vila Nova de Cerveira to lead the forces against Pombal. Dom Pedro and Donna Maria provided the moral and political legitimacy to the conspiracy. They were to be the new King and Queen of Portugal after the Dom José I was forced to abdicate once Pombal had been eliminated. The group became know as the “Conspiração da Companhia de Deus” the Order of Christ Conspiracy.

The Spanish, who still harbored territorial desires on Portugal even after 100 years following the Restoration of the Portuguese Independence, were alarmed at both the political and religious changes occurring in Portugal. They hoped to benefit as Portugal became embroiled in a civil war. The Spanish went as far as planning the invasion of Portugal and the seizure of Brasil.

On May 20, 1768 while returning to court in Ajuda from viewing the reconstruction of Lisboa, Pombal and his escort were attacked by a dozen armed men. Pombal was wounded in the attack and six of his eight guards were killed along with eight of the attackers. The remaining four attackers were wounded and captured but unfortunately none of them lived long enough to identify their backers.

Pombal was incapacitated for over 2 months but soon returned to his duties. The wounds that Pombal suffered limited his duties and he became very sick during the winter of 1769. In 1770 following the attack and in recognition of Carvalho e Melo outstanding work Dom José I made him the Marquês de Pombal. At the same time the King became worried about Pombal’s health so he recalled Martinho de Melo e Castro from the London embassy to become Pombal’s assistant. Martinho de Melo e Castro was both courageous and a liberal thinker and he and Pombal formed a formidable partnership that lasted till Pombal death in 1782. He would go on to be his successor and make a name for himself as one of Portugal most capable Prime Ministers till his own death in 1795.

By 1771 the conspirators had become desperate, many of their original backers had been arrested, died or came to accepted the new order. On October 11 the Marquês de Angela and the Visconde de Vila Nova de Cerveira had assembled in secret, a force of over 2,000 men outside of Lisboa at an estate provided by Dom Pedro. On that day the King was to travel in the afternoon from Ajuda to the Praça de Comercio in the center of reconstructed Lisboa for the unveiling of a great Equestrian statue. Dom Pedro found out from his brother the King that Pombal would be traveling incognito with about 100 soldiers in the morning to prepare for the King’s arrival, so plans were made to attack and kill Pombal and capture the king.

Príncipe José, the oldest son of Donna Maria and Dom Pedro was 10 years old and like most royal children he had little interaction with his parents who had entrusted his upbringing and education to others. The Príncipe’s education had been entrusted to Pombal who chose all of his tutors thus the Príncipe was a great admirer of Pombal and his goals and visions for Portugal.

The Battle of Belem

On October 11, on that eventful day Príncipe José was on his way to visit his mother when he overheard their plot. Donna Maria was instructing a priest and fellow conspirator on the final preparations. Being a curious boy he at first hid to hear what was being said but then continued hiding when he found out the details of the conversation. He waiting until everyone had left, made his escape and rushed to warn Pombal. Unfortunately by the time he arrived Pombal had already departed. Unsure of whom he could trust he turned to the only people he knew to be Pombal’s supporters, his tutors. When he finally found one of them and told his story they raced to alert other members of the court who could help. Príncipe José and his tutor found the captain of the Royal Guard a supporter of Pombal who took the young Príncipe before the King who upon hearing of the plot ordered the Royal Guards to make ready. Before leaving the King had his daughter and her husband as well as the whole court imprisoned. He then did something complete uncharacteristic he joined the guards and accompanied by the young Príncipe rode to rescue Pombal.

Meanwhile Pombal and his escort were intercepted on the way to Lisboa by the Marquês de Angela and the Visconde de Vila Nova de Cerveira and their men. The Marquês de Angela called Pombal to surrender and when Pombal refused he called him a coward and an agent of the devil that must be destroyed to save Portugal.

When the King and the Príncipe accompanied by over 5,000 royal guards came upon the ambush, the situation was desperate for Pombal and his remaining soldiers. Only 20 soldiers remained around Pombal and they were minutes away from being killed along with Pombal. The arrival of the King and the Royal Guards caused the rebel soldiers to panic and flee. The Marquês de Angela was killed in the subsequent fight when he and about 300 soldiers fleeing the Royal Guards were corned in a building in the outskirts of Lisboa. A fire broke out in the building during the fighting that trapped most of the conspirators in the building. Of the 300 soldiers in the building less than 50 made it out alive unfortunately the Marquês de Angela was not one of them.

EstatuaDJoseIemLisboa.JPG

Statue of Dom José I in Lisboa Commemorating his attack on the Order of Christ Conspirators

The Final Stand

The Visconde de Vila Nova de Cerveira made his escape first to Santarém but when the local magistrate attempted to arrest him, he and his men fled to Bragança where he hoped to regroup and gather around him an army of his supporters. The town of Bragança had been taken over by the nobles and friars sympathetic to the conspirators. He made an urgent appeal help from other nobles. While some nobles supported them in the end less than 5,000 conspirators gathered in Bragança meanwhile the government marched more than 30,000 soldiers against the conspirators in Bragança. Some nobles who had supported the conspirators attempted to flee the country, most did not make it. Pombal ordered the country sealed until all conspirators were caught.

The news of the attempted assassination spread through out the nation. (Although the version being spread had both Pombal and the King as targets) Most commoners and many nobles especially the younger generation was incensed and turned against the conspirators.

The Portuguese Army reinforced by young nobles “Fidalgos” and Royal Guards reached Bragança on November 25th and surrounded the town. The siege lasted 2 days when on the third day the local population rebelled against the conspirators. The army used the distraction to seize the town. The Visconde of Vila Nova de Cerveira and his most loyal men supported by the friars took refuge in the Castle of Bragança. The Visconde and half his men as well as most of the friars died when the government forces stormed the castle.

On January 21 1772 the government held a public trial in Lisboa, by the time the trial started over 5,000 people were in prison. Donna Maria had become hysterical after her arrest and had suffered a nervous breakdown which unfortunately she never recovered from and spent the rest of her life at the new Military Hospital of Santarém and her husband Dom Pedro died while in custody. All the nobles convicted at the trial were stripped of their assets, condemned to death and executed. Their families were exiled to Brasil.

The Jesuits were tried in absenteeism and found guilty in the attempted murder of the King and the overthrow of the Portuguese government. A book was published in 1772 called “A Dedução Cronológica e Analítica” which had very high circulation and was translated into all the major languages in Europe. The book put the blame solely on the Jesuit Orders hands. They were implicated in all of Portugal’s misfortunes since their arrival in Portugal. This book was very well received in Europe and Pope Clemente XIV felt compelled to disband the Jesuits if for no other reason than to save the Roman Catholic Church.

Consolidation

Following the attempted overthrow which became known as the Order of Christ Conspiracy the last opposition to Pombal and his reforms had finally been extinguished. The last economic, political and religious opposition had either been killed or were forced to see the light and support the reforms.

The fall of Donna Maria and Dom Pedro from power and the elevation of Príncipe José to Príncipe de Brasil had put to rest any hope of political changes in Portugal. As a result of the trial and executions, hundreds of nobles were either executed or imprisoned and Pombal was left with no opposition in the whole country.

Those that survived were left with no alternative but to join the Pombal reforms bandwagon. Many simply joined to avert any suspicions on them and to prove that they were in full support of the King and the government; it was ironic that many of these reluctant investors eventually amassed greater fortunes from their investment in the new enterprises and economic ventures than they could have hoped with their original estates.

All non-Portuguese religious men and women were ordered to appear before the Portuguese Religious Council for questioning. Most were expelled from Portugal. Their orders were also expelled and their assets seized by the crown. The expulsion of the last non-Portuguese religious people left Portugal with no voice for the Roman Catholic Church in the country. Only the Portuguese religious orders were left and all of these were supporters of the Portuguese Catholic Church.

The implications of the Spanish embassy and the Spanish ambassador in the plot was fully revealed in the trial and angry mobs protested daily in front of the Spanish Embassy. When the Spanish government refused to hand over the ambassador an angry mob overwhelmed the embassy’s security and burned down the embassy and killed the ambassador. Spain responded by jailing the Portuguese ambassador and cutting off all diplomatic relationships with Portugal. It was only following the 1777 Portuguese-Spanish Américan War that he was finally released and returned to Portugal.

On December 10 1771, Príncipe José became the Heir apparent and was proclaimed Príncipe de Brasil. Príncipe José age 10 and his two younger siblings Princesa Mariana age 4 and Príncipe João also age 4 became orphans with the death and incarceration of their parents. Their upbringing had from their birth been entrusted to royal servants so they did not suffer much from their absence. Their upbringing and education continued under Pombal’s influence.

In 1775 Pombal started negotiations with the English about the marriage of King George IV oldest daughter Princesa Charlotte to Dom José II heir to the throne. On August 11, 1776 Princesa Charlotte was betrothed to Príncipe José. As part of the betrothal Portugal refused to recognize United States independence and closed its ports to Américan vessels.

Princess_Charlotte_of_Wales.jpg

Princesa Charlotte, Daughter of King George III of England 1766-1828

Queen Carla I of Portugal 1782-1828

In 1775 the Portuguese government “Pombal” published the “Observações Secretíssimas” which was a political-philosophical paper showing how far Portugal had come in the last 20 years. The comparisons were made on the many levels including: cultural development, industrial development, development of the arts, literacy, scientific development, strength of the domestic trade, wealth of the external trade, political peace, and increase level of wealth and general well being. While the “Observações Secretíssimas” may have appeared as propaganda it was true that in 1750 hardly anyone in Lisboa could read the same could not be said in 1775. It was also true that in 1750 everything Portugal consumed was imported in 1775 Portugal was producing all the consumer goods it consumed and some companies were already starting to export their products.

In 1776 Dom José I health started deteriorating and he made Pombal the regent for the remainder of his reign and until his successor came of age. On February 24 1777 Dom José I died, on his deathbed he instructed the heir, his grandson, to look after his subjects well being and to be aware of the responsibility that God had entrusted on him. He also asked for two things: that the he pardon the political prisoners, and that the policies started during his reign be continued.

OK, thanks for explaining.

These roads provided for the first time the means for goods (raw material, manufactured and agricultural) to easily move throught the kingdom. The increase in production in everything would not of been supported without these roads.

True, but Portugal isn't, and wasn't, self-sufficient in wheat production.
It was one of the reasons why Portugal did look to Morocco and conquered Ceuta, it didn't worked.
Later was the islands of Madeira and Azores the cereal producers, it helped but wasn't enough,
So since the XV Century Portugal buys cereals from other nations.

Lusitania

Donor
OK, thanks for explaining.

True, but Portugal isn't, and wasn't, self-sufficient in wheat production.
It was one of the reasons why Portugal did look to Morocco and conquered Ceuta, it didn't worked.
Later was the islands of Madeira and Azores the cereal producers, it helped but wasn't enough,
So since the XV Century Portugal buys cereals from other nations.

All true Metropolitant Portugal does not become self sufficient in wheat and other cereal production till the 1840s and then for only about 20-30 years. What the roads did provide was the ability to transport what was grown to the growing cities. Irronically it was easier and faster in some ways for the Portuguese government to buy wheat foreign ports and get to the coastal cities than bring it from the Alentejo "Portugal main growing wheat area in Europe espcially true following the Earthquake.

In OTL Morroco provided the Portuguese-English Armies under Wellington with the wheat needed to support them during the Iberian Peninsula War.

Goldstein

Banned
I'm a Spaniard currenly living in Lisbon, and in the last weeks I have thought a lot about Portuguese AH. I'm really enjoying the premise and style of this TL, and I'll be looking forward for more. Welcome, and congratulations.