Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Hapsburg

Banned
Landshark said:
hough why they would wear orange and the sea navy branch light blue is beyond me.
Rebel starfighter forces in SW wear orange. Modern astronauts wear orange. I guess it's just a space-y color.:D

Hapsburg

Banned
Landshark said:
As flight suits yes but as service dress?
Why not? It would match and make them idendifiable, in a visual "move out of the way, there are pilots walking here" kind of thing.

Hapsburg said:
Why not? It would match and make them idendifiable, in a visual "move out of the way, there are pilots walking here" kind of thing.

A: It's ORANGE!!!

B: If the tried that it'd end up as "move out of the way, there are pilots laying here severly beaten".

C: It's ORANGE!!!

Hapsburg

Banned
What's wrong with orange?It's a mix of red and yellow. Basically it symbolically represents a mix between passion, virility, honor, & strength and liberty, truth, & equality. That would represent the Starfighter force as a force that liberates the oppressed, and fights strong, with honor and has an equal-opportunity employment plan. :D

Another HRE Infantry:
holyromanimperialgrenadierlu6.png

Grenadier of the Army of Bohemia.

Thande

Donor
Hmm, seems to have sparked some debate... ;)

Basically, as mentioned in my books (advertising... :rolleyes: ) these uniforms are equipped with nanotech that allows some level of adaptive camouflage. This means that any one of the uniforms can assume (almost) any camouflage pattern. They can't become 'invisible' (a la James Bond's car) though, unless the wearer is completely still, as otherwise even this infinitisimal camera lag immediately draws the eye of an idle observer.

These solid colours represent the 'dress standard' and represent how the uniforms look when the wearers aren't in combat.

Hapsburg is correct that the Starforce (space fighter pilots) uniform is designed to recall their bright orange flightsuits, which is the colour which most people would associate with them. (Yes I nicked Lucas's idea, but it makes sense! :p )

The Sea Navy uniforms are light blue to emphasise the 'water navy' bit, as some colonial space forces not affiliated with the Astroforce tend to wear dark blue or black uniforms to recall space.

BTW, the Intelligence uniform is actually supposed to be reflective silver, and the badge is transparent. That's their idea of a joke. :rolleyes:

Hapsburg

Banned
Another one from my Sorrow of the Samurai story.
European Uniforms at the end of the year 1789.
infantryuniformsof1789cv0.png

Yes, the French Revolution has occurred. That is why it is "Kingdom of the French", not "Kingdom of France".
And, yes, the Vampiric Commonwealth has fought in european wars. Mostly against the Ottomans. Fighting them would be basically a living nightmare. I mean, imagine fighting an army of musket-armed vampires.:D

Last edited:
Hapsburg said:
Another one from my Sorrow of the Samurai story.
European Uniforms at the end of the year 1789.Yes, the French Revolution has occurred. That is why it is "Kingdom of the French", not "Kingdom of France".
And, yes, the Vampiric Commonwealth has fought in european wars. Mostly against the Ottomans. Fighting them would be basically a living nightmare. I mean, imagine fighting an army of musket-armed vampires.:D
does this story exist anywhere? have you actualy posted it here?
"Kingdom of the French?" :rolleyes: the only impact of the revolution was to install another king (knowing you like convergence, probilby...Napoleon), and they changed the name to be more acquward?

Hapsburg

Banned
Scarecrow said:
does this story exist anywhere?
Well, the story just covers events 1563-1651, with a 20 year gap between the Battle of Sado (1564) and Yoshiro's ressurection (1584). The actual story just concerns the Demon Army Invasion.

have you actualy posted it here?
Nope. I haven't even finished part one yet (War of the Samurai, covering the ending years of Sengoku period and the first battles between Kyotoro and Yoshiro).

:rolleyes: knowing you like convergence
I don't see anything wrong with convergence. I don't see why, simply because certain things happen, that historical people would not exist. Besides, the world would be too fucked up without men like Washington and Napoleon.

Yup. Makes himself "Proconsul of France" in a coup a la OTL, but with some differences. Burgeoning nationalist and romanticist movements cause Napoleon to declare himself "Emperor of Gaul" rather than "Emperor of the French". He also doesn't invade Russia or Spain, and so avoids his overthrow. The Empire of Gaul lasts until 1921.

and they changed the name to be more acquward?
Well, in reality, when the people rebelled against Louis XVI, then made him "King of the French". However, soon, he was executed. ITTL, he isn't executed, but simply exiled.

Hapsburg said:
Well, the story just covers events 1563-1651, with a 20 year gap between the Battle of Sado (1564) and Yoshiro's ressurection (1584). The actual story just concerns the Demon Army Invasion.

Nope. I haven't even finished part one yet (War of the Samurai, covering the ending years of Sengoku period and the first battles between Kyotoro and Yoshiro).

I don't see anything wrong with convergence. I don't see why, simply because certain things happen, that historical people would not exist. Besides, the world would be too fucked up without men like Washington and Napoleon.

Yup. Makes himself "Proconsul of France" in a coup a la OTL, but with some differences. Burgeoning nationalist and romanticist movements cause Napoleon to declare himself "Emperor of Gaul" rather than "Emperor of the French". He also doesn't invade Russia or Spain, and so avoids his overthrow. The Empire of Gaul lasts until 1921.

Well, in reality, when the people rebelled against Louis XVI, then made him "King of the French". However, soon, he was executed. ITTL, he isn't executed, but simply exiled.
I just viewed your user profile, and it seems that you are 16. that pretty much explains it for me, especialy when you start to go on about the 'Great Man theory'. Napoleon and Washington were shaped by thier envirnoment. You seem to somehow grasp that people can have different children with Washington having a son ITTL, but are reluctant to do any less convergence:confused: . I also suspect that you choose names because they 'sound cool' or something, thus the Kingdom of the French:rolleyes: and the Emperor of Gaul:rolleyes: ...

Hapsburg

Banned
Scarecrow said:
Napoleon and Washington were shaped by thier envirnoment. You seem to somehow grasp that people can have different children with Washington having a son ITTL, but are reluctant to do any less convergence
I just don't think that the United States wouldn't form, or that the revolution would not occur. Other circumstances would lead to those events anyhow.
Also, I think a world without washington would be too weird and different. This TL isn't supposed to be too different from OTL. It just has a couple extra ethnic groups thrown in and one weird event in the 1600s. That's about it. Sure, things are supposed to be different, and they are. I just don't think that somehow Washington's ancestors would not have children, or that somehow napoleon would not gain power if france bought Corsica. TTL is not supposed to be radically different, just a little bit different, but still different enough to have a chain of events all to its own. Can't we just agree to disagree?
And why do you have to make assumptions based on my age? That seems a bit discriminatory.

also suspect that you choose names because they 'sound cool' or something, thus the Kingdom of the French and the Emperor of Gaul...
And this is...bad? Other people have chosen names just because they sound good, even in OTL. Ever heard of "Greenland"?
Even so, why wouldn't they name it "Kingdom of the French"? The French live there, and they overthrow an oppressive absolute monarch and form a constitutional monarch in its. It's a very simple conclusion as to why they would rename the country that. And the "Gaul" thing make sense. They make connections to the past. That's kinda what romanticism and nationalist was.

Hapsburg said:
I just don't think that the United States wouldn't form, or that the revolution would not occur. Other circumstances would lead to those events anyhow.
Also, I think a world without washington would be too weird and different. This TL isn't supposed to be too different from OTL. It just has a couple extra ethnic groups thrown in and one weird event in the 1600s. That's about it. Sure, things are supposed to be different, and they are. I just don't think that somehow Washington's ancestors would not have children, or that somehow napoleon would not gain power if france bought Corsica. TTL is not supposed to be radically different, just a little bit different, but still different enough to have a chain of events all to its own. Can't we just agree to disagree?
And why do you have to make assumptions based on my age? That seems a bit discriminatory.

And this is...bad? Other people have chosen names just because they sound good, even in OTL. Ever heard of "Greenland"?
Even so, why wouldn't they name it "Kingdom of the French"? The French live there, and they overthrow an oppressive absolute monarch and form a constitutional monarch in its. It's a very simple conclusion as to why they would rename the country that. And the "Gaul" thing make sense. They make connections to the past. That's kinda what romanticism and nationalist was.

So? I know my AH as a 16 year old was shit now, when back then i thought that it was clever and original. There is a certian thing called experience, and learning to do reaserch beyond wikipedia. What sources do you use?

You state that there are only 'minor' differences between your world and OTL. So why would the name Gaul be chosen under 'romanticism' if it wasnt chosen IOTL? or was this one of the 'minor' changes?

there is a difference between naming a place in order to attract settlers (greenland) and renaming something the Kingdom of the xxx in order to do...what?

I suspect you make up a map/flag/something, put all the names down that you like, and then bend the timeline to suit your ideas, which is a very lazy and crappy way to write AH, IMHO.

Hapsburg

Banned
The original intent of this was really just an epic action-type story. Then I started thinking of how things would change. I took the route of least change, because I didn't want to have a world where things were way too divergent. Sorry if that somehow offends you.
It's meant to be entertaining, not hyper-accurate AH. That's why I class it as an ASB. I mean, I know such a thing as the demon invasion of europe and asia in the first half of the 1600s might do some shit, but would it really affect things too much in north america? No. I just don't see why things would change a whole lot.
IIRC, Kingdom of the French was the OTL name of France between 1791 and 1792.
And, that's not how I wrote this TL. Me and my friends thought of the backdrop several years ago, but afterwards we added detail, and with it, a timeline. As I said earlier, it was intended to be an action-story mainly.

Now, can we just agree to disagree and put all this behind us and get back on topic?

Hapsburg

Banned
Well....
bump!:p

German Imperial Infantryman, 2016. Outfitted with the latest powered artificial exoskeleton, computer linked helmet, and the G7 battle-rifle, firing 7.92mm caseless cartridges from a 40-round box magazine.
germanimperialinfantryman2016ap5.png

And let's try to stay on topic, this time, out of common courtesy, eh?

Last edited:
Hapsburg said:
I have some stuff just for such a thread:
Uniforms of the Holy Roman Imperial Army Through the Ages:
]
From my Vandox timeline.:D
Is the facial hair part of the uniform? :p

Hapsburg

Banned
Leej said:
Is the facial hair part of the uniform? :p
No! :p

Though it does make them look spiffy. Besides, by 1798, weren't the powdered wigs going out of use for the infantry? They were simplfying uniforms and appearance. Cheaper, I guess.

Hapsburg

Banned
Three days, eh?
Well, here's some more uniforms from the Sorrow the Samurai universe.
This time from 1815.
uniformsofinfantry1815hf4.png