President Forever and other 270soft games Megathread

Since I did the majority of the work on 1968, I suppose I'll recommend that one. Yea it's a kludge of the first order (the engine was not made for pre-1976 money rules for instance) but it was still fun despite the many problems that remain.

Luckily for both game balance of the official scenarios (and for my level of fun) my roommate at the time liked the game so we did hotseat play a couple times a week… playing against humans really breaks the game in some respects, since at least against the AI you know when you abuse the engine they can't respond and so you're cheating in essence.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the various official scenarios (the included scenarios in President Forever 2008—at least as of a few years ago—are either mine from scratch, vastly overhauled by me, or at least tweaked (the last applies only to 2004 IIRC)) I did when I worked for then-TheorySpark but 1968 was my baby. Heck that scenario alone generated more bug fixes than all the official ones combined, I abused the engine so much :).

I hope the new one is good, although I freely admit I'll have a tough time being fair on it since my own grand plan for the 2012 game was too ambitious for the (sadly) limited resources of the company and I know I'll compare reality with my version :).

Since I did the majority of the work on 1968, I suppose I'll recommend that one.

[...]

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the various official scenarios (the included scenarios in President Forever 2008—at least as of a few years ago—are either mine from scratch, vastly overhauled by me, or at least tweaked (the last applies only to 2004 IIRC)) I did when I worked for then-TheorySpark but 1968 was my baby. Heck that scenario alone generated more bug fixes than all the official ones combined, I abused the engine so much :).
So you actually worked on those games? Talk about a small net after all! Although I shouldn't be surprised that anyone who was involved in a game where you can change historical election results (as well as "present and upcoming" elections) would be an avid fan of Alternate History. I think it was the 2004 Canadian campaign I discovered first (in the run-up to that election, of course). I've been a big fan of the games ever since; a really creative and fun way of abstracting the micromanaging that campaigners have to do to win elections. Even if I never have enough points to do anything :mad: (Hey, I said I was a fan - I never said I was any good at them.)

So you actually worked on those games? Talk about a small net after all! Although I shouldn't be surprised that anyone who was involved in a game where you can change historical election results (as well as "present and upcoming" elections) would be an avid fan of Alternate History. I think it was the 2004 Canadian campaign I discovered first (in the run-up to that election, of course). I've been a big fan of the games ever since; a really creative and fun way of abstracting the micromanaging that campaigners have to do to win elections. Even if I never have enough points to do anything :mad: (Hey, I said I was a fan - I never said I was any good at them.)

I was a contractor, yes. I'm not a videogame developer but I can program a little (and President Forever scenarios are simple text mostly) and that plus research plus knowing about politics got me that job. (I also wrote the tutorial.)

Did not do the Canadian scenarios :). Did do the Australia 2007 one in like a week on a rush job. Aside from that just US ones.

If you need tips… :).

680Q5MXqx-owvTDizl2E.jpg

1960 Election
Hubert Humphrey (MN)/Stuart Symington (MO) vs. Richard Nixon (Ca)/Roman Hruska(NE)

W00t! I did lose Nevada and New Mexico, two states Kennedy won IOTL though...

/Edit and I managed to be the only Democrat to lose Hawaii. Go me.

Last edited:
Does anyone still have a workable 1968 scenario file floating around? I can't find it anywhere for the life of me.

First play-through of Tayya's President Forever Scenario for the TL "A Giant Sucking Sound".

4UyFB.png

As Schwarzkopf I found it was relatively easy to concentrate on the early states and get early leads, or maintain them. Still Campbell gave me some difficulty in the South, and Wilson in the Northeast, though they only won their home-states. Once I passed the marker I offered the VP post to Pete Wilson and, despite a less than amiable relationship at this point, he accepted. Campbell dropped out of the race soon after.

On the Democratic side, there was no such resolution. Wellstone came onto the scene in a big way, but Richards held strong and maintained a small lead in the Delegate count. It didn't help matters that Gore himself refused to drop from the race prior to the convention, with over 800 delegates backing him. After having freed his delegates, the grand majority went to Wellstone, but still enough of those delegates voted in favor of Richards as the nominee, with her nomination squeaking through by a tight (1,714 - 1,693) vote. Whatever happened during that convention after this point is a mystery, but what I do know is that Richards coming out of it had managed to drop from 29 percent in the polls to 19 percent.

From then on it was for the most part smooth sailing, though I found that Newspaper Ads, while indeed weaker, provided more bang for their buck; unfortunate that I did not realize this during the primaries, where I might have performed even better. All and all though, the Scenario was very well done.

Yes, I have no idea how to counter the massive percentage drop that a brokered convention can result in. It's a little too big for my enjoyment.

I'll nerf the newspaper ad some, as well as the early primaries.

Yes, I have no idea how to counter the massive percentage drop that a brokered convention can result in. It's a little too big for my enjoyment.

I'll nerf the newspaper ad some, as well as the early primaries.
I think that would actually be a bad idea rather than a good one. The early primaries are supposed to have that kind of impact, considering the importance the media places on them, especially Iowa and New Hampshire. In large part those wins were because I was able to litter them with Television Ads and Foot-soldiers, because I had the money and organization to do so; maybe drop the Campaign Organization somewhat for some candidates but otherwise it is perfectly normal.

I think that would actually be a bad idea rather than a good one. The early primaries are supposed to have that kind of impact, considering the importance the media places on them, especially Iowa and New Hampshire. In large part those wins were because I was able to litter them with Television Ads and Foot-soldiers, because I had the money and organization to do so; maybe drop the Campaign Organization somewhat for some candidates but otherwise it is perfectly normal.

Well, the numbers can always be fine-tuned, and some other primaries were too highly valued anyways (New York, I'm looking at you). Most of my playtests have been through the Hands Off Party :)P). Please, feel free to feed me more feedback.

Well, the numbers can always be fine-tuned, and some other primaries were too highly valued anyways (New York, I'm looking at you). Most of my playtests have been through the Hands Off Party :)P). Please, feel free to feed me more feedback.
I'll give it a run as Perot, and see how I do and whether the Democrats implode again. :p

Should put in some minor parties as well for flavor; just opinion of course.

Additional Candidates I would put in, whom have been mentioned having given thought to running or being pushed to run, are Former Vice President Dan Quayle (Republican), and Former Governor Dick Lamm (Freedom).

Possibly Buchanan as a Constitution Party candidate given there was some discussion in that regard.

I'll give it a run as Perot, and see how I do and whether the Democrats implode again. :p

Should put in some minor parties as well for flavor; just opinion of course.

Additional Candidates I would put in, whom have been mentioned having given thought to running or being pushed to run, are Former Vice President Dan Quayle (Republican), and Former Governor Dick Lamm (Freedom).

Possibly Buchanan as a Constitution Party candidate given there was some discussion in that regard.

Minor parties are not mentioned in the TL, and according to the official popular vote tally, gained around 0.1% of the vote together. Alot of them joined the Freedom Party.

Quayle and Lamm are decent suggestions. I'm going to run out of colours soon... :p

As I said, I tried again as Perot.

joagV.png

Illinois really didn't like corruption. :p

It proved to be a really tough nut, and I couldn't quite crack it, coming within two points after scrapping up from a nine point margin.

Anyway, both of the Primaries went off without a hitch, with no Convention battles, otherwise I possibly would be in the fifties again and carrying all the states. Depended again on Newspaper Ads and managed to save up enough money to forgo Campaign Finances, which helped me immeasurably.

The Corruption Events didn't do much, largely because I had ads running that were able to counteract, if not overpower them.

My last game as John Kerry in the 2004 Presidential election.

United States presidential election, 2004.png

The win, especially with the gigantic margin in both the popular vote as well as in the electoral college was pretty shocking. Before the vote was counted, most states in the South East and Mid West were split pretty evenly between both parties, with Democrats having ~1-2 percentage point lead (With the exception of Texas and Gergia which went Democrat at the start of the GE).

I wonder what the House and Senate are like :p

United States presidential election, 2004.png

Giant Sucking Sound

68OGN3SHP-9WOdi2eHda.jpg

Wellstone/Richards
Campbell/Ashcroft
Perot/Cox

I didn't know I was going to win going into the last day. I had a project lead in 233 EVs worth of states the day before the election. I had two High Scandals on Perot and Campbell running in the last week, and had a massive ads blitz in every state where I was within +/- 10%.

Why are the Democrats red and the GOP blue in the Ross Perot TL game? Because of atlas maps or just because we're doing the traditional left=red / right=blue thing?

Also, fuck yes! Paul Wellstone is president!!!!!!

Why are the Democrats red and the GOP blue in the Ross Perot TL game? Because of atlas maps or just because we're doing the traditional left=red / right=blue thing?

Also, fuck yes! Paul Wellstone is president!!!!!!
In a manner of speaking it is keeping in line with the TL, in which the maps are using Atlas colors. Should be the color-scheme anyhow.

What happens when the libertarians in the GOP Party get their way (2012):

I accidentally screened it on the Washington DC part (probably the most lopsided result in a national election full of them) but popular vote-wise Obama had 80 million votes to Paul's 46 million.

werner.jpg

I thought there was a more recent thread for President Forever than this, besides the one for custom scenarios.

Just played as Romney/Ryan in 2012. Medium difficulty, with economy turned on. With a half-assed effort I crushed Obama/Biden on election day, mostly by turning out ads*. I barely barnstormed - Ryan did the heavy-lifting there - and mostly in the swing states, and with a mediocre showing in the debates that I barely prepped for I somehow won states such as New York and California.

*Hope that isn't a harbinger of things to come. I don't expect a Reagan-style blowout this year if Romney won, but if 521 votes can be bought by an ad blitz and an otherwise shit campaign...next time, I'm going to turn economy off, as it apparently isn't hitting Obama as badly as expected, and play on hard.

shite.jpg