OTL Election maps resources thread

Thande

Donor
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the 1st Canadian Federal Election! One giant area in Ontario was not part of any riding, and the Kamouraska riding in Quebec was not contested. The election wasn't really one election, but four, as each province ran their elections separately and following pre-Confederation laws. Some ridings, like Halifax, elected two MPs.

(I included a separate Nova Scotia of how it looked after the Anti-Confeds disintegrated)

Very impressive. Nice work.

Thande

Donor
What's New Brunswick's problem?

Quote from the Anti-Confederation Party:

"...the scheme [confederation with Canada] by them assented to would, if adopted, deprive the people [of Nova Scotia] of the inestimable privilege of self-government, and of their rights, liberty and independence, rob them of their revenue, take from them the regulation of trade and taxation, expose them to arbitrary taxation by a legislature over which they have no control, and in which they would possess but a nominal and entirely ineffective representation; deprive them of their invaluable fisheries, railways, and other property, and reduce this hitherto free, happy, and self-governed province to a degraded condition of a servile dependency of Canada."

In Britain this was ridiculed because people regarded Nova Scotia as having a choice between being part of a powerful Canada that could stand on its own, or remaining a small weak colony on its own that could be manipulated and bullied by American economic power into potentially becoming part of the USA. As shown in this cartoon from Punch. Note how in 1868, so soon after the Civil War, the USA was still regarded as a bit unstable and dangerous.

Cross_Roads.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 6086

Thanks. I mixed up NB with NS. Sorry for any maritimers around here!

Deleted member 6086

"British Supremacy" :eek:? And what are "Cold Rinc" and repudiation supposed to mean?

Thande

Donor
"British Supremacy" :eek:? And what are "Cold Rinc" and repudiation supposed to mean?

"British supremacy" essentially means "why would you whore yourself out to some upstart second rate power that's just ripped itself apart in a civil war when you could be part of the empire of the most militarily powerful nation on earth".

I'm not sure what the other bit means; I thought it said 'Gold Ring' myself...but anyway we're offtopic.

Thande

Donor
I've been working on this for a while. I was going to go right back to the beginning, but that'd be a big file and it's hard to find data on some of the earlier ones. Maybe later. Also, this makes it a nice neat round century of results.

Senate Elections test 3.png

Last edited:

mowque

Banned
I am waiting for a Governor one.

Edit: I guess not since you'd need a new map nearly every year. Never mind me!

Thande

Donor
I am waiting for a Governor one.

Edit: I guess not since you'd need a new map nearly every year. Never mind me!

I considered doing a Governors one, but as you say you have to do it on a practically yearly basis and it gets iffy.

Same reason causes problems for doing a 'states of Germany' map, only it's even worse because they don't have fixed election cycles like the USA. Really what you need for this is more a system where you say "Snapshot of the political situation as of (specific date)", and then have maps showing (for the USA for instance) all the senators, governors and (if possible) congressmen in power at that exact moment in time. I would say and state legislatures as well, but let's be realistic here, nobody actually knows the composition of those, even the people who allegedly serve in them ;)

mowque

Banned
I would say and state legislatures as well, but let's be realistic here, nobody actually knows the composition of those, even the people who allegedly serve in them ;)

This is true. It can be difficult to find the PA state legislative balance for right now, let alone 1954 or something.

Thande

Donor
This is true. It can be difficult to find the PA state legislative balance for right now, let alone 1954 or something.

I still can't wrap my head around that, because for just about every other office, the USA tends to have more detailed election results online than any other country except maybe Germany. It's weird how (though they're hard to find) you can still find more detailed election results for things like obscure British local councils than you can for US state legislatures.

Thande

Donor
Labelled map of South Yorkshire's four metropolitan borough councils' wards, showing results for 2011. I've made this for reference so I can do maps for the whole area over time.

South Yorkshire 2011 labelled.png

Thande

Donor
Labelled map of South Yorkshire's four metropolitan borough councils' wards, showing results for 2011. I've made this for reference so I can do maps for the whole area over time.

And here's what I made with it.

Why since 2006? Well, in 2004 new ward boundaries were drawn and all three councillors per ward were elected at once in a special election--which oddly enough was the first election I voted in after turning 18. And then there was no vote in 2005 so 2006 was the first 'regular' one.

South Yorkshire councils over time.png

Thande

Donor
Just a bump to say I am working on a basemap for the 1918-1948 electoral boundaries. Hard work but it should be worth it when it's finished.

Thande

Donor
In the meantime, maps of the current outgoing US state offices (not the ones that have just been elected).

State offices.png

Last edited: