No Negroes

Michael E Johnson said:
...Also I guess millions of African people wouldnt have been kidnapped,brutalized and enslaved along with having their cultures destroyed and plundered in order to help build America and enrich the West...

Europeans may have brutalized and enslaved the the African people, but they were not kidnapped by Europeans. They were kidnapped and sold into slavery by their own people. Without the backing of fellow Africans, the slave trade would never have happened. Europeans had an ugly habit of dying in the interior of Africa.

Michael E Johnson said:
...so I guess Europe would have turned to another group of people-perhaps there would have been slavery for Native Americans instead of genocide...

Actually, no. You probably, lacking the slave trade, would have seen an increase in indentured servitude rather than the enslavement of the Indians. The Indians made horrible slaves as they had the nasty habit of dying when they are around (sick) white people.

If African slaves, for whatever reason. were not so visibly different to European settlers would the nature of slavery in the US and the Carribean have been different?

Grey Wolf said:
Whats this Ham malarcky ? This is the second time I have seen it used in some kind of argument, and it just seems like bollocks to me

Grey Wolf

It is bollocks. In the Noah story, Ham made fun of his father Noah when the latter got wasted and was lying around naked. His two brother, Shem and Japeth, were more respectful and covered him up (in such a way to avoid looking at him). When Noah woke up (and I assume he was hungover and rather embarassed), he cursed Ham's son Canaan to be the slave of his other two sons. Ham later has sons named "Egypt" and "Kush," so he was viewed as the forefather of the African nations.

The association of the Curse of Ham with black skin and Africa was basically a theologically-weak justification for slavery. :(

Do I detect racism?

I would say that a continued Roman Empire would lead to this--mixed-race marriages would become very common, until everyone would be blended well and good and it would be practically impossible to determine racial origin, since everyone would be basically one race.

A more dominant Ummayyad Caliphate would also do the trick, as the Koran is explicitly anti-racist ("all men are the same as the teeth on a comb" or something to that effect).

Matt Quinn said:
A more dominant Ummayyad Caliphate would also do the trick, as the Koran is explicitly anti-racist ("all men are the same as the teeth on a comb" or something to that effect).
Well...

It was the Arabs who basicly invented the black slave trade.

Leo Caesius

Banned
DominusNovus said:
Well...

It was the Arabs who basicly invented the black slave trade.
Not true. The trans-saharan slave trade had been in operation since classical times or possibly even before. The Arabs merely picked up where their predecessors had left off.

Nonny said:
The theory of evolution in its purist form is of course "racist"!

This is nonsense. All the theory of evolution has to say about race is that people who live in different areas adapt to their environment, hence people who live in equatorial regions have darker skin than people who live near the poles, etc. I fail to see how that's racist.

Most scientists regard race as a social construct. Race is biologically meaningless - you can demonstrate familial-like relationships between large groups of people, genetically, but that's about it. Most people are mongrels - and have been for millenia.

Straha

Banned
Damn it. I thought the "do not cast revive" sign pinned on the thread would be enough to keep it dead...

Straha said:
Damn it. I thought the "do not cast revive" sign pinned on the thread would be enough to keep it dead...

You have to drive a stake through it's heart and bury it beneath a crossroads at midnight for that.

Most forums have a set rule over reviving threads which are older then a certain amount.

htgriffin said:
I am afraid Pharonic Egypt was dabbling in it centuries earlier.

HTG
Would the verb "perfected" fit better? Augmented? Expanded?

Regardless, they increased it alot, to the best of my knowledge.

Leo Caesius

Banned
DominusNovus said:
Would the verb "perfected" fit better? Augmented? Expanded?

Regardless, they increased it alot, to the best of my knowledge.
AFAIK, the trans-saharan slave trade kept the same brisk pace (subject, of course, to the availability of supply and demand) from Classical Antiquity onwards, until the Europeans found a way to circumvent it.