Most likely alternate Israel

Cook

Banned
There was (and it still is, but useless) an autonomic Jewish obslat at the USSR (today in Russia).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

During its peak-time, third of its popultation was Jewish. But Stalin ruined it all with his Paranoia against everything.

Well apart from the fact that it was mentioned in the second post of this thread, the fact that it was in the outer reaches of Siberia and established by Joseph Stalin would tend be impediments to large scale interest in it as a homeland for Europe’s Jewish refugees.

Manchuria, if i remember it correctly they were offered by the japanese government to settle there before world war 2, but the Jews refused but all that vanished when the japs made the treaty with hitler

How about a United Hashemite Commonwealth of Palestine* and Lebanon under Faysal I, his son Ghazi, or Faysal's brother Abdullah I - if only as a bulwark against Damascus?

*Palestine here including Transjordan and (if the UK accept the Ottoman Empire's 1906 compromise boundary) those areas of the Sinai Peninsula from Al-'Arīsh to Rās Moħammad on east.

I think Theodor Herzl considered Kenya for a time, and Hitler actually approved the "Madagascar Plan" before WWII, but abandoned it after failing to quickly defeat Britain.

I think Theodor Herzl considered Kenya for a time, and Hitler actually approved the "Madagascar Plan" before WWII, but abandoned it after failing to quickly defeat Britain.

In hindsight, Madagascar certainly would make for an interesting Israel. I wonder how it would have been like as compared to ours?

In hindsight, Madagascar certainly would make for an interesting Israel. I wonder how it would have been like as compared to ours?

Instead of complaints of mistreatment of Palestinians the mistreatment of the locals I imagine. Unless they convert them. Which is a fairly interesting prospect of a large population of African Jews besides that tribe in Zimbabwe.

In a world where there is no Balfour declaration and a less dickish Soviet Union (Cold War never gets traction), east Prussia... :D

Bruce

Instead of complaints of mistreatment of Palestinians the mistreatment of the locals I imagine. Unless they convert them. Which is a fairly interesting prospect of a large population of African Jews besides that tribe in Zimbabwe.

It's a big enough country (226,000 square miles) that the Israelis could chew off a chunk rather larger than Israel (8,522 square miles) and still leave a substantial majority of the place to the locals. Also, since the local identity developed under French colonialism was relatively island-wide (Madacascar experts please correct me if I'm wrong) there shouldn't be the sort of trouble assimilating expelled locals that there was with the often permanently camp-bound Palestinians. I don't think Africans as a whole are going to take this as a kick in the balls the way Arabs did, either.

Bruce

It's a big enough country (226,000 square miles) that the Israelis could chew off a chunk rather larger than Israel (8,522 square miles) and still leave a substantial majority of the place to the locals. Also, since the local identity developed under French colonialism was relatively island-wide (Madacascar experts please correct me if I'm wrong) there shouldn't be the sort of trouble assimilating expelled locals that there was with the often permanently camp-bound Palestinians. I don't think Africans as a whole are going to take this as a kick in the balls the way Arabs did, either.

Bruce

At the same time, if they could manage the natives, either by assimilation or less suitable means, they would be on an island, meaning this Isreal, even if it did have to deal with a Palistinian-like issue with the natives, would not share borders that want to see them destroyed. That alone would change the Isreali national identidy a bit, don't you think?

In a world where there is no Balfour declaration and a less dickish Soviet Union (Cold War never gets traction), east Prussia... :D

I've always liked the thought of Israel in East Prussia (ASB unfortunately). It'd be a shorter trip for Holocaust survivors. What would they have renamed Konigsberg?