Map Thread XXII

I don't think an independent canal zone would be viable unless internationalized in some manner, or morphed into some kind of sovereign corporation. The latter probably makes more sense just in terms of canal employment not necessarily being very stable grounds for citizenship.
There is only one citizen of my project's Panama Canal.

Yeah I don't think a country with one person and a population of foreign workers is particularly viable but you do you
this is the same world I'm roleplaying with on those threads. That one citizen is the (sapient) Panama Canal, and the ASPC is obviously closely economically integrated with Centroamerica.

Pretty sure the one citizen in their project is the sentient/sapient Panama Canal itself, so there is that.
Yeah, that's completely correct (how did you know that?). The country is independent politically, but it's economically integrated with its neighbor.

Pretty sure the one citizen in their project is the sentient/sapient Panama Canal itself, so there is that.
this is the same world I'm roleplaying with on those threads. That one citizen is the (sapient) Panama Canal, and the ASPC is obviously closely economically integrated with Centroamerica.

Oh well if it's ASB then the viability of a country hardly matters, shoulda said so. Carry on then

I looked into/read parts of the roleplaying thread several times. Considered participating a handful of times but didn't.
Why not?
Also skimmed through your loredump Google Doc as well.
thank you! any questions about it?
Oh well if it's ASB then the viability of a country hardly matters, shoulda said so. Carry on then
Well, I'm not trying to be TOO ASB. Then again, what is there to compare my ASPC to?

I mean a sentient canal is about as ASB as you can get
I want SOME things in my project to be ASB, like all the interdimensional incidents and 5 of 6 species being biologically impossible.

But I want to keep most things grounded in reality, and among those things are geopolitics.

I want SOME things in my project to be ASB, like all the interdimensional incidents and 5 of 6 species being biologically impossible.

But I want to keep most things grounded in reality, and among those things are geopolitics.

To each their own, sounds like pure ASB to me

I mean a sentient canal is about as ASB as you can get

To each their own, sounds like pure ASB to me
I try to keep ASB... compartmentalized.

This is a case of the classic contrast between the two definitions of ASB.

The original definition is clearly there, making the impossible happen with the sentient objects and such.

However it is entirely possible for a timeline to be ASB in that way but also follow the effects of such supernatural things logically/plausibly. So the popular definition of ASB of making simply the implausible rather than the impossible happen is not actually considered ASB under the original definition.

So both of you are right. Such supernatural elements does make MultiplePOD's work by definition ASB. But otherwise it need not fall under the stereotypical image of ASB (so geopolitics can remain grounded and not be ASB under the popular definition).

This is a case of the classic contrast between the two definitions of ASB.

The original definition is clearly there, making the impossible happen with the sentient objects and such.

However it is entirely possible for a timeline to be ASB in that way but also follow the effects of such supernatural things logically/plausibly. So the popular definition of ASB of making simply the implausible rather than the impossible happen is not actually considered ASB under the original definition.

So both of you are right. Such supernatural elements does make MultiplePOD's work by definition ASB. But otherwise it need not fall under the stereotypical image of ASB (so geopolitics can remain grounded and not be ASB under the popular definition).
Exactly! I have the good ASB (literally impossible things are happening) but not the bad and trash ASB (implausible things that ruin any enjoyment of the story, or don't fit with lore, are happening). That's why I appreciated Godot's note on Algonquin being an exonym, why I've tried not to make the GDF (good faction) too strong for fear of making any conflict a curbstomp (most notably by making the Great World War a stalemate that destroyed the CoN rather than a GDF victory), why sandwiches are called Albies in my work, and why, when in doubt, I turn to a randomizer.

Last edited: