Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangereal from the Ace Combat Series

I always felt like the latitudes of the countries had so little climate consistency.

Usea is equatorial, but feels like mostly temperate Europe, with some random patches of deserts and jungles thrown in.
Osea stretches across a wide latitude range, so either it has tons of unusable tundra/taiga like Canada/Russia or it is unimaginably populous like a mega-china+USA. The fact that Belka and the rest of the North East Osean continent are "frozen wastelands/mountains" implies the former, but the fact that Anea is even closer to the north pole while looking yet again like temperate europe with even some deserts contradicts this...

I mean unless there's some crazy strong weather currents making some polar places warmer than they should be and tropical places colder than they should be.

Can't wait to have a game in Sotoa+Verusia to see what sort of geography they have there!

Today Revised.png

You do not see the glaringly obvious typo...

I always felt like the latitudes of the countries had so little climate consistency.

Usea is equatorial, but feels like mostly temperate Europe, with some random patches of deserts and jungles thrown in.
Osea stretches across a wide latitude range, so either it has tons of unusable tundra/taiga like Canada/Russia or it is unimaginably populous like a mega-china+USA. The fact that Belka and the rest of the North East Osean continent are "frozen wastelands/mountains" implies the former, but the fact that Anea is even closer to the north pole while looking yet again like temperate europe with even some deserts contradicts this...

I mean unless there's some crazy strong weather currents making some polar places warmer than they should be and tropical places colder than they should be.

Can't wait to have a game in Sotoa+Verusia to see what sort of geography they have there!
Well, Strangereal has always been just a convenient means to bypass the quagmire of real life politics and history. It's not a geography lesson. Although, it also deprives gamers of the same emotional connection that settings in our world would have, something Ace Combat has to build up each game.

Personally, I would have opted for anachronistic settings, like the Three Kingdoms period with Warlords Era/Interwar technology. 🤔

Last edited:
What's the point of having both the main cities of New France on the fricking border ?
I mean, seriously, the Saint-Laurent was the heart of New France, making it into a border makes no sense.
Each time I see a Saint-Lawrence border I am triggered beyond the reasonable, especially if post New-France

View attachment 687475

You do not see the glaringly obvious typo...
I wonder, does the reversal of Tierra del Fuego, Australia, and New Zealand here extend beyond just the landmass? Imagine if they now drive on the other side of the road, read backwards, and have their internal biology mirrored! Just like how a 2d shape on a page cannot mirror itself unless it is brought into the 3rd dimension and flipped over, a 4d being could pluck us out of our plane and safely invert us by simply flipping us about the 4th axis and putting us back! Perhaps the ASB responsible for this made a mistake? If the theory about left/right handed amino acids being mutually incompatible is true, this could lead to some interesting consequences.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
I wonder, does the reversal of Tierra del Fuego, Australia, and New Zealand here extend beyond just the landmass? Imagine if they now drive on the other side of the road, read backwards, and have their internal biology mirrored! Just like how a 2d shape on a page cannot mirror itself unless it is brought into the 3rd dimension and flipped over, a 4d being could pluck us out of our plane and safely invert us by simply flipping us about the 4th axis and putting us back! Perhaps the ASB responsible for this made a mistake? If the theory about left/right handed amino acids being mutually incompatible is true, this could lead to some interesting consequences.
I don't think the amino acid thing is just a theory. There are lots of enantiomers that behave differently, if I remember correctly aspirin is one of them. The enantiomer of aspirin is useless for pain killing and blood thinning.
So aspirin apparently doesn't have enantiomers, but lots of other drugs do.

Last edited:
Mongol Japan.png

In the immortal words of Frodo Baggins: "It's over. It's done."

Hope you all enjoy reading this as much as I did making it.

Last edited:
This makes me nostalgic for the old City Map Games that used to happen, nice work.
Ahhh yes, I remember taking part in Blackwall fondly, as well as reading the earlier ones. It was a shame I got caught up in University stuff so I wasn’t able to take part in the Victorian era, when I wanted there o be a lot of jet mines. I also realized recently that when I put a statue of Henry VIII in the area focusing on gilding and silver (I think it was called Meridin) it would have been one of only two statues of him to exist for centuries. Maybe the only two ones period, assuming no one has made any new ones over the past hundred years.

1634337489301.png

There’s a delicate balance in the Far East. A calculated dance between the politicians, the commanders, the warlords and the foreign embassies. The Beiyang Government has managed to unite China under its control, and even there where their power doesn’t reach, a loyal warlord sits in its place, with only the “rebellious regions” of Tibet and Mongolia slipping out of Beijing’s control. Under the auspicious wing of the Germans first and the British now, the Republic suppressed and conquered those who opposed it in the South. However, not everyone is willing to dance. The Rising Sun of the East is soon to break into the dance floor and knock over as many dancers as they can. Whether the Republic will be able to stand up again or if it will have to stay down, only time will tell.​

Discordiale again! Those who know something about China are probably aware that OTL China was way more fractured than this. But ITTL, the Beiyang Government manages to keep its light grasp over China and solidify it into a fragile peace, with the help of Germany during its first years, but then switching to being under British influence, as the German reach diminished and the pro-German politicians either switched of were replaced by pro-British ones. This has greatly upset the rising Empire of Japan since it has greatly undermined their political and economic influence in China, and soon they will launch a war on the Republic, which will have to deal with disgruntled warlords as well as the Japanese Armed Forces.
If you have any questions, I hope I can answer them! This is incredibly subject to minor retcons, since my knowledge of China at the time is not the best. Also thanks a million to Admiral Kolchak/Yan Xishan for the video resources on Tibet and Sichuan. [Link to the Yan Xishan YouTube Channel, in case you somehow haven't seen this wonderful channel]
Links to my previous Discordiale posts:
[Anglo-Turkish War]
[Danube War]

A Espanha é Nossa!
A map in the year of our Lord 1545 Anno Domini...

Can you spot all the divergences? there are a lot of them!

(This map was a lot of fun to make, and I couldn't have done it without the hard work of the folks who craft the beautifully and absurdly detailed Q-BAM base maps. thank you!!!)
Beh the duchy of Savoy now is much much bigger, seem that finally had suceeded in getting Milan, Parma and Modena; poor Genova and Mantova they will not feel really safe

In the immortal words of Frodo Baggins: "It's over. It's done."

Hope you all enjoy reading this as much as I did making it.

Nice, but you really should have tried a bit harder to make the New World look different from OTL, given the POD is centuries before Columbus.

The bottom right corner map is supposed to be "proposed?" You mean, war plans rather than anything which actually happens ATL?

the New World look different from OTL

Yes, but I felt better doing a warped version of our world with a few things changed for the TL than just drawing lines on a map for the sake of butterflies that I don't know. The New World borders in my other Mongol related projects promise to be more distinctive if it's any consolation. (Assuming I ever finish them).
You mean, war plans rather than anything which actually happens ATL
Yeah, sort of. Think of it like if someone ATL made a map of OTL 1914 and put a side map about the Sykes-Picot-Sazonov Agreement as "Proposed partition of the Ottoman Empire". Some of that is going to work out. But not all of it.
Why thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.