Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

qazse

Gone Fishin'
The Federal Union of North Eurasia, a democratic version of the Soviet Union which kind of took this whole "self-determination" thing a little too hard. Follow-up maps will come later.
north eurasia.png

Known_World_Redux2x.png

The Known World - 74 Years Later

So this is a sequel and a remaster of the other map. I downloaded the planet generator, and I tested it to see if I can make bigger maps. And I can, heck if need be I can make an 8K-BAM-esque map lol.

Lore-wise, I decided to have a few big powers: Elania, a Puritan-esque monarchist US that follows the Cult of Althea, a mish-mash of various other cults, but the deity is real, demanding a sacrifice each year. Then there's the Siracean Empire, it doesn't really have an IRL equivalent. You could compare it to Persia, given that was the inspiration. There's Uruchia, a more fictionalized version of Uruk. Uruk, being one of the oldest cities, was direct inspriation for Uruchia, being one of the oldest countries. And finally, there's the Southern League. Don't let its size fool you, it makes the HRE look unitary. So yeah. But when it does want to do stuff, it can punch like an ICBM. Culture-wise, I thought of them as a sort of mix of HRE, Imperial China and the various Greek coalitions those Greekmen loved to form to beat each other with.

The reason the Eastern Territories are less colonized/explored is simple: getting a ship to the other side is hard. Sure, should you manage to cut a canal through that little isthmus-like thingy east of the League, colonization and exploration would skyrocket, maybe, maybe not, given the League is the only one with immediate access to that. The Western Colonies are so far away traveling to them would take as much as a Transpacific voyage in the 16th century. Not because of the weather, but because if you go out too out into the sea you get destroyed by a kraken or some huge whale native to the oceans. It's why Elania has so much clout in the area, they can cut off contact between the "main" powers and their colonies. Which is why they are starting to experiment with magic to defend from whatever creatures lurk in there.
Planet generator? That sounds interesting, what's the name of that?

The biggest issue would commence with the Venezuelan Coalition due to failed payment of debts to major european powers Britian, Germany and Italy, resulting in the occupation and annexation of territories in the Venezuela.
- This encourages a swift wave of colonization in America, and, a Scramble for it.
Now this is fascinating, looks like Europe is making an enemy of every other continent out there.

British_Anholt.png

Anholt

Official Languages: English and Danish

History:
Since 1809 the island of Anholt has been under British rule with the exception of 1914-18 and 1940-45 where it was occupied by Germany. The island was occupied to establish a chokepoint on the access to the Baltic Sea.

Geography:
Anholt is 22 square kilometers in the middle of Kattegat. The western part of the island is dominated by forest plantation, wetland and the towns of Anholt By and Ladepladsen. While the east is dominated by a large sandy heathland, which the locals call the “Ørkenen” (the desert). The east is also closed off from civilians, as it's under the administration of the British army.

Economy:
While traditionally dominated by the fishing industry it has grown less dominant over the last few decades and the main income today is from banking. Tourism also makes up a large part of the island's economy. The more liberal British media and advertising laws have also resulted in the island being the home of several tv stations targeting the Scandinavian market. At last there’s a small manufacturing sector.

Demography:
Anholt is a permanent home to 7611 people (2019), while 200 British military personnel are also stationed on the island. 7180 people speak Danish or other Scandinavian languages as their first language, while 210 speak English as their first language. Yiddish is the third largest language with 157 native speakers speakers.

The Anglican Church is the biggest church with around 2000 members, while the Baptist Church has 1500 members, Lutheran Free Churches 1500 members and the Catholic Church 1000 members. The large number of Anglicans is a result of the union between the Lutheran state churches and the Anglican Church, Anglican Churches mainly preach in Danish. The biggest non-Christian religion is Judaism with 500 members, making the island the territory with the highest percent of Jewish people in Europe. Around half of the Jewish population are descendent pre-War immigrants, while the other half are mostly Jews who left Poland 1967-71.

A 15th Century Kilsu Dynasty Misian Map of the known world made in the standard Inoka Misian dialect.

(Comes from my TL "Where the River Flows" (link in signature))
Misia Medieval-Style Map WTRF.png

So I have recently finished the second in my list of OTL 2020 Demography & Information maps.
I used data from the U.N., World Bank, CIA World Factbook (2010 and 2020 additions), various national statistics agencies and a few cases where I had to figure out numbers myself by using data from the aforementioned (ex. TRNC) due to several de facto independent but not de jure recognized polities not being listed separately.

The below map shows the population changes by Country and Autonomous Polity between 2010-2020;

Notes and Points of Interest:

-A full 27 polities (24 countries and 3 autonomies) saw their 2020 population end up lower than their 2010 population; this ranged from a decline of a few hundred to several million, with most of the countries in decline seeing drops measured in the low to mid hundreds of thousands.

-Five countries went from seeing losses in the 2000-2010 period to seeing increases in the 2010-2020 period, the most notable being Germany and Russia who went from previously losing over a million in the previous period to seeing increases of over a million in the last decade; note that even excluding the 2.4 million people it gained from annexing Crimea, the population of Russia between 2010 to 2020 increased by nearly a million.

-While the 2000-2010 period did see several polities in population decline, including many that have continued the trend, a full ten polities entered the negative population growth club over the last decade.

-In terms of population increase, the polity with the smallest numerical increase was Vatican City which saw an increase of 7 people while the country with the largest increase was India, which gained 146 million people over the last decade.

-In terms of population decline, the polity with the smallest numerical decline was Kosovo which saw a net loss of 302 people, while the country with the greatest loss was Ukraine, which saw its population fall by 4 million people.

-In terms of population change only three (Russia, Sudan and Ukraine) have the loss or gain of territory as an additional factor; while Ukraine and Russia would be in the red and positive respectively even without the annexation of Crimea, Sudan being in the negative growth category was solely from the loss of South Sudan when it became independent.

-The world population overall increased by 831 million people between 2010 to 2020.

2010-2020 Population Change (Absolute Numbers).png

A larger version of the map in the wikibox in this post

Long story short, the third century crisis leads to an earlier Eastern and Western Roman Empire (with the two established via more successful Gallic and Palmyrene Empires), the West is the one that lasts a long time while the East falls earlier, and Emperor Kavad of the Sasanians (of some note, a supporter of Mazdakism, a kind-of-sort-of premodern communism sorta) ends up winning a war against the Eastern Empire and greatly expanding his realm

sasanian expansion map.jpg

(I didn't create the map from scratch, I just got it from here and did a hackjob on it to make it fit the alternate scenario

Also I've done some other inkscape/svg stuff with maps from wikipedia, but this was the first time I actually figured out how to use some basic features like node usage, and wow, that's some useful stuff)

So I have recently finished the second in my list of OTL 2020 Demography & Information maps.
I used data from the U.N., World Bank, CIA World Factbook (2010 and 2020 additions), various national statistics agencies and a few cases where I had to figure out numbers myself by using data from the aforementioned (ex. TRNC) due to several de facto independent but not de jure recognized polities not being listed separately.
This is really interesting; any chance of a similar map, but showing population change by relative number? That would allow us to compare growth rates directly between different countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.