Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 67076

A work-in-progress map of modern Eurasia in a TL I intend to do at some point in my life.

India is incredibly aesthetically appealing to me for some reason.
It just hit me, how did the French get Hainan?

A map from my new Tidewater TL.

It shows the Realm of Virginia in the year 1599. Red shows firmly settled English areas, and pink areas are their claims. As you can see, the pink areas overlap with some of the tribes, showing exactly how little those "claims" really matter.

Not all of the native tribes in the area are shown, that would he a map almost unreadable, but the main ones are

virginia1599.png

How in the hell is Vojvodina a independent state
They rather lucked int Austria-Hungary's collapse in the 1930s was awful and messy and Novi Sad just happened to weather the storm a little better than they expected, and once the borders were in place, no one had both the will and ability to change them at the same time. Serbia wants it, but Croatia, Hungary, Bosnia, and Italy don't want Serbia to have it; the reverse applies to Hungary; all of the great powers keep shuffling which side they're on in the Balkan mess to prevent any other power from gaining an advantage, and Vojvodina just sort of sits there, totally confused and quite content to not be the central front of a major land war in Europe for as long as it possibly can arrange the circumstance.
It just hit me, how did the French get Hainan?
Very, very carefully. (Everyone wanted their piece of the Chinese pie while it was collapsing, and the French sphere of influence in the area was strong enough that they simply tore Hainan off and made it an overseas department during the chaos of the 30s while no one was looking, and again, no one's had the will and ability to change the matter since.)

Repost from end of previous map thread that The Night Bringer wanted to find again:

Here's a map I made for Vexacus' TL Rise of the Zords.

The scenario:

Zordnia Island is a mysterious island-that-shouldn't-be-there in the Pacific, known but obsessively avoided by the Polynesians of the nearby islands. Basically they had a bad run-in with the prehistoric alien robots (yes, you read that right) deposited there a while ago, left, and never came back.

History goes largely unchanged until the USA uncovers the dormant robots underground and WWII ends with a stalemate (I forgot which order those happened in). NASADA (ATL NASA) and BioLabs (corporation) have restricted access to the island to study and reverse engineer its secrets.

The USA will do anything to keep other powers from the treasure trove they've uncovered. Armed with security that makes OTL North Korea, Fort Knox and Area 51 look like the neighborhood watch, Zordnia is NOT a place to mess with. Yet by 2014, foreign agents have infiltrated the facilities and information is leaking. The combination of post-WWII tensions and alien tech hundreds (or even thousands) of years beyond our time leads to some... interesting results.

Basically, imagine the results of a regular tech ISOT scenario... then apply that to the current day.

The map:

I swear on me mom this wasn't ripped off the Cook Island map posted previously. As Vexacus can attest to, I finalised the scenario and started making the map long before the Cook Island map was posted. I invite any doubtful mods to check our PMs for proof.

The awkward layout and some inconsistent colors and typography are deliberate. Virtual cookie if you can figure out why, and if you can find the other hidden easter eggs.

Edit: If you're wondering, Zordnia is about 83,600 square km.

WARNING

THIS IMAGE IS HUGE. Even huger than QBAMs. ITTL this map is designed to be printed at 40.55 x 57.32 in (or 1.030 x 1.456 m) and the file is a whopping 2.96 MB and 5159 x 3650 px. Be prepared to have your internet connection destroyed.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO VIEW THIS IMAGE ON A PHONE OR TABLET. (it might not crash certain devices, but basically I can't make any guarantees)

2DETAILED4U

If you want to give feedback, please tell me the things that are good and what I could improve. The comments I got like "zomg that's impressive" don't help me develop as a mapmaker.

Answering people about Hawaii:

From the convergent Hawaiian place names in the TL, I figured that Polynesians settled Hawaii as per OTL, they only avoided Zordnia itself.

As for how USA has Zordnia and Japan has Hawaii, that's a question that has also been raised in the TL's thread. I couldn't find a clear answer in my quick-read through; at one point Vexacus said that America never had Hawaii and that another point said they did. It wasn't important for the map content so I just took the situation as a given.
Since only one person tried to find them, here's a summary of the easter eggs, trivia and details in my Zordnia map.

Japanese Empire influences:

• The map was supposed to be made originally in Japanese, then awkwardly converted to English without adjusting the layout. This is why the titles are vertical and the reading order goes from top-right to bottom-left.
  • Interpunct used instead of &, part of Japanese punctuation.
  • The symbols for power station and military base are standard Japanese map symbols.
  • All place names are in red except for Shoowa-too and Mt. Toobushoowa. This was named after the emperor and in East Asia writing someone's name in red ink is extremely disrespectful because at funerals you write their name in red ink. As for the other personal names? Well they're not Japanese and they're not the emperor.
  • The good/O.K./bad color circles in the Reliability section are Japanese traffic light colors.
  • Referring to the Hawaiians as "Hawainese Aboriginals" in their English translation is their way of implying a) Asian status (sounds like "Taiwanese aboriginals") and b) less civilized people in the choice of wording, justifying their rulership.
Place names (In the TL):

• Endeavour's Haven is a reference to the HMS Endeavour.
  • The historical forts in the north are named after Russian Emperors (Peter, Catherine, Alexander) and a Russian explorer (Bering). Also "Novaya" means "new" in Russian. This indicates the presence of the Russian American company who did reach Hawaii OTL.
  • The largest settlement's name Széchenyi is a reference to the Hungarian politician/writer Istvan Széchenyi. "Zordon" (as in the cliffs and the bank) is Hungarian for "grim".
  • Mont Peur and Presage refer to the French Empire's brief presence in this region; peur means fear and presage means omen. Clearly nobody likes these cliffs.
  • The "native"-sounding names are derived from a blend of Polynesian languages like Proto-Polynesian, Hawaiian, Samoan and so on. Kiapolo Nui is "Big devil" and Kiapolo Si'i is "Small devil". Wale'kowi is very roughly "the residence of evil itself". As in, not just one evil thing, but the very embodiment of the concept of evil (i.e. the alien robots). Make Loa means long death because that's all you can expect when you journey to this taboo place.
  • I was going for the conflation of land and a mythological creature. For example in the Maori culture of New Zealand (also Polynesian like the Hawaiians) the North Island is called Maui's Fish, the South Island is Maui's Boat and Stewart Island is Maui's Anchor. Referring to a myth about how the god-man Maui created New Zealand when he went fishing and raised a giant fish. Looking at Zordnia, Nihoa is Hawaiian for tooth, Waha means mouth and Pu'u means throat like the island is a ferocious monster. Have you also noticed how the missile base symbols give the mouth a full set of sharp teeth? ;)
  • If you look around the West, you can find the towns Alpha, Beta and Gamma next to major power stations. This is a reference to alpha, beta and gamma radiation from nuclear reactions.

Place names (Out of TL):

• Fitting with the theme of reverse engineering alien robots, the region names are named after OTL conspiracy theorists (e.g. David Icke and Alex Jones). The region marked 11 on the map is just called Eleven. Read that out loud - Eleven11 :D (I was going to include the Ancient Aliens man but I forgot)
  • Mt. Lissie and Mt. Perry are named after American singers Lissie and Katy Perry.
  • Mt. Necker is a reference to Necker Island which exists in that location OTL.
  • Other names are a play on "Kiapolo". Deville is a pun on "devil". The rivers in the east are places and people important to New Jersey, because New Jersey is hell (Worth1000 in-joke).
  • Mt. Mauna translates to Mount Mountain. This is a parody of tautological place names.
Logos:

• The USGS logo is a pastiche of the new Gap logo and the slogan "Moving at the speed of science" is a pastiche of the OTL USGS's corny slogan "Science for a changing world".
  • If my brief research into Kanji is correct, Hawai's name is read as "Leaf harmony idea". The logo is the leaf of the Candlenut tree which is the official tree symbol of Hawaii. One of the island's names is Konoha which means leaf in Japanese.
  • The awkward kerning of the English "HAWAI PREFECTURE" is the result of using the Latin portion of a typical monospaced CJK font.
  • The JEMB logo combines a modern digital map marker, the Japanese roundel and eight sections of the world. For "Japanese Empire" it uses Hakkoo, literally meaning "eight cords", a poetic word for the entire world. This refers to the empire's great span ITTL.
  • Like the section titles, the logos have the Japanese characters in their original vertical orientation.

Other:

• The only spelling/grammar issue (as far as I'm aware) is ironically in the sentence "Please note the every error and omission to nearest JEMB office directly".
  • I forgot where I got the Japanese place names from (apart from the ones above) and I didn't write them down. They weren't very interesting. I wouldn't think about it.

Last edited:
Since only one person tried to find them, here's a summary of the easter eggs, trivia and details in my Zordnia map.

Japanese Empire influences:

• The map was supposed to be made originally in Japanese, then awkwardly converted to English without adjusting the layout. This is why the titles are vertical and the reading order goes from top-right to bottom-left.
  • Interpunct used instead of &, part of Japanese punctuation.
  • The symbols for power station and military base are standard Japanese map symbols.
  • All place names are in red except for Shoowa-too and Mt. Toobushoowa. This was named after the emperor and in East Asia writing someone's name in red ink is extremely disrespectful because at funerals you write their name in red ink. As for the other personal names? Well they're not Japanese and they're not the emperor.
  • The good/O.K./bad color circles in the Reliability section are Japanese traffic light colors.
  • Referring to the Hawaiians as "Hawainese Aboriginals" in their English translation is their way of implying a) Asian status (sounds like "Taiwanese aboriginals") and b) less civilized people in the choice of wording, justifying their rulership.
Place names (In the TL):

• Endeavour's Haven is a reference to the HMS Endeavour.
  • The historical forts in the north are named after Russian Emperors (Peter, Catherine, Alexander) and a Russian explorer (Bering). Also "Novaya" means "new" in Russian. This indicates the presence of the Russian American company who did reach Hawaii OTL.
  • The largest settlement's name Széchenyi is a reference to the Hungarian politician/writer Istvan Széchenyi. "Zordon" (as in the cliffs and the bank) is Hungarian for "grim".
  • Mont Peur and Presage refer to the French Empire's brief presence in this region; peur means fear and presage means omen. Clearly nobody likes these cliffs.
  • The "native"-sounding words are derived from Hawaiian, Proto-Polynesian, Samoan and so on. Kiapolo Nui is "Big devil" and Kiapolo Si'i is "Small devil". Wale'kowi is very roughly "the residence of evil itself". As in, not just one evil thing, but the very embodiment of the concept of evil (i.e. the alien robots). Make Loa means long death because that's all you can expect when you journey to this taboo place. Nihoa is Hawaiian for tooth, Waha means mouth and Pu'u means throat. The conflation of land and a mythological creature is what I was going for. For example in the Maori culture of New Zealand (also Polynesian like the Hawaiians) the North Island is called Maui's Fish, the South Island is Maui's Boat and Stewart Island is Maui's Anchor. Referring to a myth about how the god-man Maui created New Zealand when he went fishing and raised a giant fish.
  • If you look around the West, you can find the towns Alpha, Beta and Gamma next to major power stations. This is a reference to alpha, beta and gamma radiation from nuclear reactions.

Place names (Out of TL):

• Fitting with the theme of reverse engineering alien robots, the region names are named after OTL conspiracy theorists. The region marked 11 on the map is just called Eleven. Read that out loud - Eleven11 :D
  • Mt. Lissie and Mt. Perry are named after American singers Lissie and Katy Perry.
  • Mt. Necker is a reference to Necker Island which exists in that location OTL.
  • Other names are a play on "Kiapolo". Deville is a pun on "devil". The rivers in the east are places and people important to New Jersey, because New Jersey is hell (Worth1000 in-joke).
  • Mt. Mauna translates to Mount Mountain. This is a parody of tautological place names.
Logos:

• The USGS logo is a pastiche of the new Gap logo and the slogan "Moving at the speed of science" is a pastiche of the OTL USGS's corny slogan "Science for a changing world".
  • If my brief research into Kanji is correct, Hawai's name is read as "Leaf harmony idea". The logo is the leaf of the Candlenut tree which is the official tree symbol of Hawaii. One of the island's names is Konoha which means leaf in Japanese.
  • The awkward kerning of the English "HAWAI PREFECTURE" is the result of using the Latin portion of a typical monospaced CJK font.
  • The JEMB logo combines a modern digital map marker, the Japanese roundel and eight sections of the world. For "Japanese Empire" it uses Hakkoo, literally meaning "eight cords", a poetic word for the entire world.
  • Like the section titles, the logos have the Japanese characters in their original vertical orientation.

Other:

• The only spelling/grammar issue (as far as I'm aware) is ironically in the sentence "Please note the every error and omission to nearest JEMB office directly".

Dude, with all due respect, I think it would be proper that Youy repost Your Zordanian map as it is in the previous map thread (and even there I was not able to see it for some reason).

Dude, with all due respect, I think it would be proper that Youy repost Your Zordanian map as it is in the previous map thread (and even there I was not able to see it for some reason).

I've edited the original post into that post. btw usually when we quote something really long we replace the text with something like "snip" or "filler" so that the new post isn't unnecessarily long. A rule of thumb is to condense the quote if it's clearly longer than the new post.

So why does Japan have Hawaii if history went largely the same until WWII? With that thing right next to Hawaii, I doubt Japan would have an easy time taking it.

That's not to say it isn't a good contribution, though.

Oh no I wasn't accusing Arcvalons of anything. I was just curious. For all I knew Arcvalons could have been that artist.

No, I think it says who did somewhere in the image

Fair enough.

So why does Japan have Hawaii if history went largely the same until WWII? With that thing right next to Hawaii, I doubt Japan would have an easy time taking it.

It's something others (including me) have wondered about, but I'm just the mapmaker, I don't know the answer. I've asked Vexacus to settle this question

Oh no I wasn't accusing Arcvalons of anything. I was just curious. For all I knew Arcvalons could have been that artist.

I wasn't trying to imply that you were implying anything, I was just being cautious. I've seen a few people uppity about linking to great maps not from this site because they're not original content.

It's something others (including me) have wondered about, but I'm just the mapmaker, I don't know the answer. I've asked Vexacus to settle this question

Alright. If he ever replies, don't hesitate to tell us. :p

I've seen a few people uppity about linking to great maps not from this site because they're not original content.

Alright. If he ever replies, don't hesitate to tell us. :p

Don't worry, I'm not one of those people.

I've asked him to reply directly on this thread for people to see.

Vexacus

Banned
To save people asking Master AltHist Vexilologist Transparent Blue about why Japan has Hawaii, all those that want to know please PM me and I'll send out a PM to all the interested parties with the relevant info. This will save cluttering up the thread with non-map clutter

Last edited:

Mathuen

Banned
Another map from my FHTL "当中国统治世界":

大铁路
Hello everyone, and happy march! So I've been getting a lot of messages asking me to do a map for the Great Railway. Now truth be told, this is a little bit difficult as many people disagree on what exactly constitutes the Great Railway and what does not. However, i've taken some time to think about it and have come to some general guidelines that I think will work for most people in a format that isn't too crowded map-wise. Specifications for the map key are in the post below, so don't loose this this post! :p

-H/Zheng

-------​

Introductory Note: So first off, I am only counting highspeed rails as part of the Great Railway, nothing below that. So all the rails here have to at least fall into the minimum average speed of 200 km/h. I set this as the minimum and didn't allow anything below the 200 mark because statistically speaking all rails at the 200 mark or above usually go faster (250 is the actual average) while rails that just scrape under the 200 mark have that as their maximum and that would leave us with speed disparities of 100 km/h or more.

-------​

The Key:

Member Countries: So this part is rather clear cut. The lighter countries with grey borders are those countries associated with the Great Railway and the China Rail Corporation (CRC). Every country associated with the Great Railway has one of the three colored lines going through them. Not all have completed lines, such as those with the blue and green lines going through them, but all have given the go ahead for line construction, or as is the case with the green lines, actively promoting construction plans.

Non-Member Countries: These are just nations that are not a part of the Great Railway. These nations are marked with a darker grey and are given black borders. Now, this doesn't mean that they aren't prospective members of the Great Railway. The numbered regions with the yellow and black outlines are the Prospect Zones, regions that the CRC is looking to expand the Great Railway into either in the near future or at an unspecified point in the future. Information on the prospect zones below.

1(一): The driving force to expand the Great Railway into the Central Economic Zone is Germany. It's powerful and growing information and energy processing economy makes it the single greatest consumer force in Europe as a country alone. Germany's place in the World-Partnership also makes it a point of special interest for the CRC, and along with it the rest of the Central Economic Zone.

2(二): The Eastern Economic Zone is a Prospect Zone for three reasons. One, it is China's corporate stranglehold region in Europe, making greater integration into the Chinese system palatable. Two, it is needed if the Central Economic Zone is to be connected to China and the large majority of the World-Partnership. Three, parts of the Eastern Economic Zone already are part of the Great Railway, providing precedent for its absorption as a whole.

3(三): Morocco and Algeria have long been viewed as an inevitable end for the South-Mediterranean part of the Great Railway. Extension of the Great railway across Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia is underway, and making the region part of the Great Railway would make the integration of local assets and the regional economy into the Chinese System easier.

4(四): South Africa and Namibia are a Prospect Zone not just because South Africa is a long-time infrastructure partner of China, but also because the region is a major supplier of Uranium and Manganese. Connecting these resources into the growing African rail networks, and providing another high-speed land route for the acquisition of these resources is viewed as a must.

5(五): Although long referred to as "That land which must not be named" by the world over, Afghanistan's move towards a more development-state system with the aid of Chinese Patron groups has opened up the country to development and integration. At the same there is a popular pressure in support of Afghanistan as popular sentiment has grown to integrate a region thought of as long-abandoned by most of the world.

Jahannam: Jahannam is just Jahannam, no real introduction needed. The region's instability makes expanding the Great Railway through it very dangerous and so it as marked as a non-accessible area for the CRC. If at some point the state of the region changes this may change as well. The majority of Jahannam is given a green outline and a dark grey inside, except for Jordan. Given Jordan's stability despite the repeated bleeding over of violence into its northern governates, it is generally only considered technically part of Jahannam and so is just given a dotted green outline.

The Red Lines: The red lines are all active Highspeed Rails in the Great Railway network. This means all Highspeed Rails constructed by the China Railway Corporation and its subsidiaries, all Highspeed Rails constructed by patroned corporations wherein the state has at least 30% holdings, and all foreign constructed Highspeed Rails in some association with the CRC. Furthermore, all red lines are non-stop lines operating under a collective profit agreement. This is why India for instance has so few red lines.* Non-stop doesn't mean connected though, as evidenced by Nigeria. It has non-stop lines associated with the CRC, but as of now there is no line to connect them to the lines in East Africa.

Blue Lines: These are lines are under various stages of construction or those which are going to begin construction soon. Other than that they follow the same guidelines as the red lines. The reason for the various blue lines vary, with some (as in the case of Angola) being the entrance of the Great Railway into a region, some (as in the case of the West China line) serving the purpose of cutting across longer and older routes, and some (as in the case of many of the blue lines in East China) simply increasing ease and degree of internal highspeed transport for urban populations.

Green Lines: The green lines represent the current proposal for the expansion of the Great Railway by the African Rail Group (ARG), an associated organization to the CRC, and affiliated with the Friends of the Community. The ARG's proposal calls for substantial construction of new lines across Africa, connecting East and West Africa, and expanding the Great Railway into multiple new countries. The ARG's proposal is part of a long term economic development plan supported by many of the larger regional economies to accelerate the interconnection of African economies. Although not officially an accepted proposal, the weight of the ARG in the World-Partnership and the general support of the proposal amongst proponent countries and in China Proper makes the construction of the proposed lines likely.

Pink and Orange Lines: These are not on the key itself, but are visible on the map as solid lines going across various bodies of water. The pink and orange lines (Well, orange line) represent rail-bridges and tunnels that connect various parts of the Great Railway across water, and the planned Mainland-Taiwan tunnel respectively.

-------

when_china_rules_the_world__the_great_railway__by_mattystereo-d780gfr.png

Cylindrical projections can be centered however you want.

Propagation aside, you're gonna want to watch out for the northern part of that basemap; it stills looks a little rough from what was apparently a conversion from the normal worlda.

Cylindrical projections can be centered however you want.

Propagation aside, you're gonna want to watch out for the northern part of that basemap; it stills looks a little rough from what was apparently a conversion from the normal worlda.

Yeah, that's the problem with the Pacific map, it was made i such a way that the sides were severely warped, as opposed to the normal map where it just cuts off and starts on the other side.

Actually, I think I may make Paicifc Centered map in that form at some point.

Last edited:
Question: if I wanted to color two countries under a personal union, which colors would I use? For example, if I wanted to color a united PLC-Russia, do I use the Polish colors or the Russian colors?

Question: if I wanted to color two countries under a personal union, which colors would I use? For example, if I wanted to color a united PLC-Russia, do I use the Polish colors or the Russian colors?

If it's a monarchist union (I assume it is) then go with the color of the retained monarchy.

Well, is one country obviously dominant over the other? If so, use the dominant partner's colour. If not, then I don't know either, that's not a problem I've encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.