Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

Rail/transport systems are cool, too.

Come to think of it, while occassionally someone will do a rail or road map, I don't think I've seen a canal-centric one before. Anybody here recollect seeing a map focusing on canals? We should totally go for a CANALWANK MAP CHALLENGE or something like that.

That'd be a bit of a bitch to do, having to take into account slope of land and everything....

Don't know if it's still allowed, but I'll post my ideas anyway....

A Map from a world where Mehmed II managed to conquer Italy.

The Ottomans don't need to be still staying around pass 1810, really, but at least the scar left on Europe by the Ottoman conquest of Italy must be evident. No "Christians become berserk and then pwns muslim world" and "the inherently damned Ottomons" cliches, nor even an Islam bukkake, because those things will just make you appear unbalanced.

Muslims in the New World

The theme's name is mostly self explanatory. PoD after the OTL death of Roderic of the Visigoths. Again, doesn't have to lead in an Islam-wank. This theme though, simply can't possibly contain a Christian world that's even as strong as IOTL, mind you.

No Invitation of the Moors by Count Julian to invade Spain

At the very least, not as IOTL....

More successful Christianity east of Oman, in a world where Islam exists!

Yeah, the Asiatic Christians of course. It'll be much more interesting than just a Christian-wank in a world without Islam. ;)

A World without Jacobin Era

World without the concept of Crusade as we know it

A world where a form of Industrial Revolution happened between 1000 AD and 1700 AD.

In anywhere possible ! :cool:

A Map from a world where any of OTL Yuan maritime expeditions gained more success.

Either to Java or to Japan. Both is fine too :cool: How much more successful is up to you

Muslims in the New World

The theme's name is mostly self explanatory. PoD after the OTL death of Roderic of the Visigoths. Again, doesn't have to lead in an Islam-wank. This theme though, simply can't possibly contain a Christian world that's even as strong as IOTL, mind you.

Is that a requirement? After all, if butterflies lead to a Christian conversion of China... :)

Bruce

Is that a requirement? After all, if butterflies lead to a Christian conversion of China... :)

Bruce

:rolleyes: Okay... European Christendom, then ? ;)
Like you think Chinese conversion to Christianity is all that possible really :p

As long as you keep a fair portion of the Americas for the muslims at the minimal, it's up to you though.

But avoid "teh Christiens wil alwayz pwns ev00L moslims!!!!!11111!!" cliches !

Last edited:
Anything goes, no boundaries.

I see what you are saying, and taking yours and Communist Wizard's comments onbaord I decided to do something similar. Rather then have a very specific selection that may put people off, I decided to choose a broad and familiar idea for the first challenge, Legolas's idea:

Some kind of socio-geographical map from a steampunk / clockpunk world or a part of it.

The thread will be posted shortly.

what's clockpunk?

Da Vinci's inventions, clockwork inventions radicalising society, that sort of thing. So perhaps spring-powered Ottoman automaton (Ottomaton?) hordes lurching across the Hungarian Plain to Vienna, or a cogwheel flying machine.

Differs from Steampunk in that it's usually springs powering it, not steam engines.