Lucky Eight: A Tale of a Grander USFL

very interesting FDW...can't wait to see what happens!

I wonder if Jack Pardee and the Gamblers will show up ITL...

Another thing I've always wondered (and I'm just talking out loud. Don't think I'm pressing you for something) is what could happen if the USFL signed over (for lots and lots of Trump's dollars) an NFL team to come compete. Say getting the Cleveland Browns or some down on its luck franchise looking to stir the pot. Could provide big time bucks and credibility in a big way.

Of course I think there are all kinds of rules and laws and what not that would prevent such a thing.

FDW

Banned
very interesting FDW...can't wait to see what happens!

I wonder if Jack Pardee and the Gamblers will show up ITL...

Another thing I've always wondered (and I'm just talking out loud. Don't think I'm pressing you for something) is what could happen if the USFL signed over (for lots and lots of Trump's dollars) an NFL team to come compete. Say getting the Cleveland Browns or some down on its luck franchise looking to stir the pot. Could provide big time bucks and credibility in a big way.

Of course I think there are all kinds of rules and laws and what not that would prevent such a thing.

Well, I can say that one of four USFL expansion franchises for the 1984 season will be in texas, to find out where, you're going to have to wait until I get through the 1983 season.

As for your second idea? No, that's not going to happen.

FDW

Banned

Thank you. Do you think you could help me with the staff and players of the USFL teams? I'll probably put a few blurbs about prominent/notable staff and players in the next few updates (which will be profiles of the eight teams going into their first season), but providing some concrete info on the clubs would be a good idea especially as TL starts to get into the thick of things.

This should be useful

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/bham.htm

and the wikipedia entry will give you league leaders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_USFL_season

If you have specific questions about certain players or coaches let me know.

I do have one request for the '84 season...Marcus Dupree was a big name signing for the Breakers that year. He got hurt in '84 and '85 and was never the same. If it could be worked out...I'd like to see him succeed ITTL.

If you're looking for big names...Eric Dickerson was said to be interested in joining the Express in '83, but ultimately decided they weren't established enough. Dan Marino also did so promo stuff for the Express, but ultimately the Express decided they couldn't afford him. I can give you some more potential guys as the years progress. Also, Damon Allen (pro football's all time leading passer (played in the CFL) was a territorial draft pick for the Express in '83 (though he never signed) and J.C. Watts was a stud CFL quarterback that could've been signed by a USFL team in '83 (though he wasn't). Allen and Watts would be nice additions and would have been affordable as they weren't drafted by the NFL.

Last edited:

FDW

Banned
This should be useful

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/bham.htm

and the wikipedia entry will give you league leaders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_USFL_season

If you have specific questions about certain players or coaches let me know.

I do have one request for the '84 season...Marcus Dupree was a big name signing for the Breakers that year. He got hurt in '84 and '85 and was never the same. If it could be worked out...I'd like to see him succeed ITTL.

If you're looking for big names...Eric Dickerson was said to be interested in joining the Express in '83, but ultimately decided they weren't established enough. Dan Marino also did so promo stuff for the Express, but ultimately the Express decided they couldn't afford him. I can give you some more potential guys as the years progress. Also, Damon Allen (pro football's all time leading passer (played in the CFL) was a territorial draft pick for the Express in '83 (though he never signed) and J.C. Watts was a stud CFL quarterback that could've been signed by a USFL team in '83 (though he wasn't). Allen and Watts would be nice additions and would have been affordable as they weren't drafted by the NFL.

Thanks, this should help a lot. As for you're request, I'll look into it. Same with the big names. So here's what the coming updates will look like:

Update 3: 1983 Season schedule
Updates 4-7: Team profiles
Updates 8-18: 1983 USFL season
Update 19: 1983 USFL playoffs
Update 20: Liberty Bowl I and the start of a legend.

Thanks, this should help a lot. As for you're request, I'll look into it. Same with the big names. So here's what the coming updates will look like:

Update 3: 1983 Season schedule
Updates 4-7: Team profiles
Updates 8-18: 1983 USFL season
Update 19: 1983 USFL playoffs
Update 20: Liberty Bowl I and the start of a legend.

Sounds good.

FDW

Banned
Due to problems with the site I'm using to make the season schedule I'm pushing update #3 back to friday and update #4 to Saturday.

Like the "Baltimore from the start" move. Very shrewd and forward thinking that the USFL could have used.

Subscribed.

BTW, When is how's this going to effect "The Herschel Walker Question"?:cool:

FDW

Banned
Like the "Baltimore from the start" move. Very shrewd and forward thinking that the USFL could have used.

Subscribed.

BTW, When is how's this going to effect "The Herschel Walker Question"?:cool:

I've already said that Herschel Walker will be one the big stories of the 1983 season, but not quite in the way it was OTL. And he won't be the only big story of the 1983 season either.

Last edited:

FDW

Banned
Lucky Eight #3

1983 USFL schedule:

CHI = Chicago Blitz
BAL = Baltimore Stars
NJ = New Jersey Generals
TB = Tampa Bay Bandits
OAK = Oakland Invaders
BOS = Boston Breakers
DEN = Denver Gold
MI =Michigan Panthers

Week 1: CHI @ BAL, DEN @ NJ, MI @ TB, BOS @ OAK

Week 2: OAK @ CHI, TB @ NJ, BOS @ DEN, BAL @ MI

Week 3: OAK @ NJ, CHI @ BOS, BAL @ TB, Bye: DEN, MI

Week 4: DEN @ OAK, MI @ CHI, NJ @ BOS, TB @ BAL

Week 5: BAL @ NJ, TB @ DEN, BOS @ MI, Bye: CHI, OAK

Week 6: BAL @ BOS, OAK @ MI, NJ @ TB, CHI @ DEN

Week 7: BAL @ OAK, NJ @ CHI, MI @ DEN, Bye: BOS, TB

Week 8: BOS @ CHI, DEN @ BAL, NJ @ TB, OAK @ MI

Week 9: BOS @ TB, MI @ DEN, CHI @ OAK, Bye: BAL, NJ

Week 10: TB @ MI, OAK @ BAL, NJ @ BOS, DEN @ CHI

Week 11: BAL @ CHI, TB @ OAK, BOS @ NJ Bye: DEN, MI

Week 12: NJ @ DEN, TB @ BOS, OAK @ CHI, MI @ BAL

Week 13: DEN @ MI, BOS @ BAL, TB @ NJ, Bye: CHI, OAK

Week 14: CHI @ MI, TB @ BAL, OAK @ DEN, BOS @ NJ

Week 15: MI @ CHI, BAL @ DEN, NJ @ OAK Bye: BOS, TB

Week 16: BOS @ BAL, DEN @ TB, CHI @ NJ, MI @ OAK

Week 17: OAK @ BOS, TB @ CHI, DEN @ MI, Bye BAL, NJ

Week 18: CHI @ OAK, NJ @ MI, BAL @ TB, DEN @ BOS

Week 19: NJ @ BAL, MI @ BOS, CHI @ TB, OAK @ DEN

Week 20: MI @ NJ, OAK @ TB, BOS @ BAL, CHI @ DEN

Week 21: BAL @ NJ, BOS @ TB, MI @ OAK, DEN @ CHI

Week 22: NJ @ BAL, DEN @ OAK, MI @ CHI, TB @ BOS

Goddamn, that took a long time. :)

FDW

Banned
Okay, next update to come tomorrow, as last night's update took a lot out of me, and I need some more time to do research for tomorrow's update. In the mean time though, any comments or questions?

Okay, next update to come tomorrow, as last night's update took a lot out of me, and I need some more time to do research for tomorrow's update. In the mean time though, any comments or questions?

Was the bye week intentional?

FDW

Banned
Was the bye week intentional?

Yep, it was Trump's idea ITTL, having more games and spreading them out over a longer period would mean a bigger television contract and more importantly, more money. (It was part of the backdoor compromise between Trump, Dixon, and Tanenbaum ITTL)

The exclusion of Philadelphia based on market territory is outright ASB. You can exclude a team there for any number of reasons and yet you chose the most implausible. Further, the decision to do so by your Greater USFL has directly contradicted your premise of smarter, more reasonable ownership.

Basically your USFL has excluded a team from the football-crazy fourth largest media market in the country because of geographic sports-allegiance boundaries that would have been outdated and laughable a century before the POD.

Population density and regionalism in the east coast megalopolis would make that 75mile rule equivilent to 300+ miles elsewhere in the country. There is a reason every professional sports league since the 1870s hasn't had an issue with New York(NJ) and Philadelphia being overlapping sports markets.

Because they aren't.

Also, how does this effect the relocation of the NFL Colts? If they still leave Baltimore, you're going to be stuck with a settlement between the city and the NFL which prevents any professional football team from using Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. In OTL the Stars actually played the 1985 season on the U. of M. field right outside of Washington, D.C. in College Park, which is 40miles from Baltimore. If the Colts stay, the Stars will move again if the season is switched to fall. The only reason Myles Tanenbaum left Philadelphia was because he felt it was foolish to compete with an NFL team for ratings. Since Baltimore was without a team, and close, it made sense. But if he would't compete with the Eagles in a media market the size of Philadelphia, why would he stay in Baltimore and compete for fewer fans against the Colts?