Lower Canada of the 1980's

Sounds like the prairies get off easy as always! Though I can see Quebec and BC coming out fairly unscathed as well. The Maritimes will have little change it seems.

Montreal and Quebec City will be hit and a significant amount of radation will be blowing into the St. Lawrence Valley beginning the day after the exchange. :(

i have a;ways wondered how my country would fair in a nuclear war

only problem i see with this is that my parents haven't even meet yet :eek: when this happens so i may not exist in this world:(

I have been doing a bit of research using the 1984 Soviet Nuclear Forces Order of Battle and Canadian Military Bases of that time and come up with a LIMITED Soviet strike on Southern Ontario using just older weapon systems.

Understand that single missile would never be used due to the fact that the reliability of the missiles reaching the target and successfully initiating would be approx 60-70 percent for SLBMs and 70-80 for ICBMs. This also includes the Circular Error of Probability of 50 percent of the warheads landing within the defined CEP so quite a few of them would not be outright failures of the missiles but not land where they were suppose to. So onward-

Ottawa - Parliament Hill, NDHQ, CFB Rockcliffe, CFB Uplands (SB), CFS Lietrim
2 x SS-17 Mod 3 - 8 x 400KT MIRV cross targeted (SB - Surface Burst)
Parliament Hill and NDHQ are so close together, if one fails the other gets it.

CFB Carp (Diefenbunker) - 2 x SS-11 Mod 2 - 2 x 1200KT (SB)

CFB North Bay (NORAD) - 3 x SS-11 Mod 2 - 3 x 1200KT (SB)

CFB Petawawa - 2 x SS-N-8 Mod 2 - 2 x 800KT

CFB Kingston - 2 x SS-N-8 Mod 2 - 2 x 800KT

CFB Trenton - 1 x SS-13 Mod 2, 1 x 750KT / 1 x SS-N-6 Mod 3 - 3 x 200KT (SB)

CFB Downsview - 1 x SS-13 Mod 2, 1 x 750KT / 1 x SS-N-6 Mod 3, 3 x 200KT(SB)

CFB Borden (Regional Control Bunker) - 2 x SS-11 Mod 2 - 2 x 1200KT (SB)

CFB London - 2 x SS-N-8 Mod 2 - 2 x 800KT

So for the cost of 19 missiles and 29 warheads, Southeastern Ontario is pretty beat up. These are just the military targets and I left out some smaller ones.

To be sensible and totally screw any recovery you have to go for the large power stations and transportation hubs also.

Nuclear - Pickering, Darlington, Bruce. All SB

Hydro - Niagara, Degrew Falls in St Catherines, Saunders in Cornwall. All SB

Gas, Oil, Coal - Lennox, Lambdon,

Rail yards - Scarborough, Vaughn, Windsor SB

St. Lawerance Seaway Locks - St. Catherines, Thorold, Port Colborn, Iroquois SB

And finally Airports - Pearson SB

That should get me a little over 50 warheads depending on the re-entry footprint.

You will note the number of surface bursts. All designated targets are hardened or area targets that are resistant to general blast.

Initial casualties will be limited due to the number of actual targets and quite a few are not in extremely populated areas however due to the ground bursts and transportation destruction or interdiction they will very quickly rise.

I remember the Cold War very well.

Edit - I have no idea where the smiley face on top came from. Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it?

Last edited:
This is one of those TLs where I die quickly. In 1984 I lived at CFB Cold Lake, AB. I was four years old...

As a side note, I once did a quick and dirty list of possible targets in Canada. I think that I missed a lot (to start, I neglected all those power stations...) and I very quickly got to 200, and was without having everything get hit twice (or more).

Oh, and as civilian airports with (5,000 foot or greater) paved runways can and will be used as dispersal and/or alternate landing sites for military aircraft, they'll get treated as air bases. That means that they'll be nuked. So for Toronto, Downsview get hit hard. As do Pearson International and the Toronto Island Airport. The latter strike will wreak havoc on downtown T.O.

This is one of those TLs where I die quickly. In 1984 I lived at CFB Cold Lake, AB. I was four years old...

As a side note, I once did a quick and dirty list of possible targets in Canada. I think that I missed a lot (to start, I neglected all those power stations...) and I very quickly got to 200, and was without having everything get hit twice (or more).

Oh, and as civilian airports with (5,000 foot or greater) paved runways can and will be used as dispersal and/or alternate landing sites for military aircraft, they'll get treated as air bases. That means that they'll be nuked. So for Toronto, Downsview get hit hard. As do Pearson International and the Toronto Island Airport. The latter strike will wreak havoc on downtown T.O.

I just did a simulation with Downsview, Pearson and Toronto Island with 750KT on each and the 5 PSI rings come close to joining. Reinforced concrete is the only thing standing and damaged at that. Messy and after that comes the firestorm.

AAA I grew up near Stephenville, Newfoundland. At one time it was a US airbase and a main transfer base to go overseas. B-52s through there all the time, so a target even after the base closed. We were a little elevated so could see the aircraft taking off. So with an airburst we were far enough away to get hit with flying debris and burns from the heat pulse but not outright dead. Would have to wait for all the fallout coming up the eastern seaboard for that.

I really don't miss the Cold War.

At the time I lived in the base housing (PMQs) on CFB Cold Lake. Assuming a ground zero over the hanger line, all of that housing is inside not just inside the third-degree burn zone, it is effectively inside the fireball. Unless there is time to be long gone from the base, that is the instant death zone. At least it would be quick... (The google maps one found here jumps from 400kt to 1.4mt, and even the 400kt puts just about everything on the base inside that zone...) And if that wasn't enough, everything on the base is inside of the 5psi zone, if not the 10...

Actually, RCAF Brat, I have good news...

In the Land of Flatwater story, you are still alive, because, as of March 1, 1984, CFB Cold Lake is...still standing. (I was surprised, too.)

Sry bout the lack of updates I had one going but it sounded to upbeat so I deleted it, then I had to go to Borden to run the grenade range for a SQ course for some odd reasoning was running during the Christmas break :confused:. Overall I'm working on another update, but I have become more keenly interested in a new concept of Canada if we didn't win the War of 1812; so newest update might be heavily delayed but still coming.

I wish this TL would be updated a little more often, as I like the fact that this P&S spinoff is set in Canada!

In this TL, I would have been 12 years old and living in Edmonton with a foster family. But I would likely have survived, mainly because there would've been plenty of time to get out of Edmonton. I highly doubt that my foster family would've wanted to stick around in Edmonton for long. Especially with the news of the deteriorating situation and the conventional war in Europe before the nukes went flying. We would've tried to get out all the way to Grande Prairie, about 465 km NW of Edmonton - my real immediate family lived up there. However, it might not be so easy when there's going to be a lot of other people trying to get out of the city on the highways. Major highways like the Yellowhead and the QEII (that was just Hwy 2 before 2005 -runs between Edmonton and Calgary) might end up closed and reserved for use by the military and other essential traffic only - this is especially what happen in the movie Threads, but I don't know if the same thing would go for Canada if there was an impending nuclear war.

Edmonton would've likely been given quite a pounding, especially north of the North Saskatchewan River. It might have ended up as the hardest hit metro area in Canada after Montreal and Toronto. This is due to the fact that there was CFB Griesbach (now closed in OTL and being turned into a residential subdivision with new infill housing) and CFB Namao (now CFB Edmonton and operating as an army superbase).

Also, Edmonton has the Municipal Airport (Edmonton City Centre Airport in OTL) and of course the int'l airport in the middle of nowhere south of the city. There's also Refinery Row in the east side and the Dow Chemical plant in Fort Saskatchewan to the northeast of Edmonton. Not to mention that Edmonton is also the provincial capital of Alberta, so the Soviets could have targeted the city itself. I'd also imagine other provincial and territorial capitals would be hit as well in order to take out a means of government.

In short, that's at least seven nuclear warheads with the Edmonton area's name on it.

A quick 'n dirty summary of targets in the Edmonton area:

Edmonton - 1 megaton
CFB Namao - 200-750 kilotons
CFB Griesbach - 200-400 kt
Edmonton Municipal Airport - 200-500 kt
Edmonton International Airport - 350-500 kt
Refinery Row - 200-400 kt
Dow Chemical, Ft. Saskatchewan - 200-400 kt

Other targets in Alberta (Remember that CFB Cold Lake didn't get hit in this TL, though):

CFB Penhold (SW of Red Deer - there is a "Diefenbunker" shelter there)
CFB Calgary (Calgary - now closed in OTL)
CFB Suffield (N of Medicine Hat)
CFB Wainwright (near Wainwright, AB, SE of Edmonton)
Calgary International Airport (has the longest runway of any civilian Canadian airport)

In Western Canada, Calgary, Winnipeg and Vancouver would not have been hit quite as bad, with fewer military and industrial targets.

Don't forget that there's a bunch of DEW line and Pine Tree Line radar installations. The only ones I know off the top of my head is CFS Beaverlodge west of Grande Prairie and the Stoney Mountain radar site in Anzac, SE of Fort McMurray. It's possible that these radar stations would have targeted by the Soviets in order to deprive Canada and the US of early warning of incoming ICBMs and SLBMs.

Last edited:
PART V: The Timeline is BACK XD

PART V: February 21st, 1984 around 18:00 Eastern Standard Time; Lewiston–Queenston Bridge, Canadian Side, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario

"My wife is going to kill me, if she ever saw me doing this. Fuck it, the world is going to shit might as well be calm during it." Thought Sergeant Richard Newland wearily as he took another drag from his smoke, looking over the bridge.

Everything had been going to hell recently, with the Soviets and Europeans nuking it out over Europe. The world and thus humanity was falling apart in short order. Yet for some reason Sergeant Newland was stuck here on the Peace Bridge, along with most of the Lincoln and Newland Regiment dug in to protect from a supposed on rush of oncoming hordes of Commies from America.

"Penny for your thoughts Sergeant?" A unknown voice stated.

Turning around rapidly, bring his side arm to bear "Who the fu... Ohh my apologize, Sir didn't see you there. What can help you with Captain?"

Obviously enjoying see his platoon sergeant in such a discomfort the Captain continued "No I'm fine sergeant, just taking a quick check on the post. All those American refuges having be getting a bit restless after the borders was closed this morning."

"Very true Sir. Sir I was wondering..." Even after all his twenty two years in the army, Sergeant Newland was afraid to ask his next question. "I was wondering Sir, what has been going to the rest of the country, the men and I know are war has started but we don't know anything. Has anything come down the ladder?"

The Captain grimaced, taking off his helmet to look at a non-existent dent in it before responding "Nothing good Sergeant, we lost contact with Ottawa, allot of people are thinking the Ruskies are launching now, and its been confirmed our boys in Germany were wiped out in strike. A British unit further back confirmed it."

"How did we lose contact with Ottawa? Did it get hit, our we going to get bumped?"

Before the Captain could say anything, the tac-radio started going all haywire. "This is CONRAD Relay to all active Call-Signs, Repeat this is CONRAD Relay to all active Call-Signs. Confirmed incoming active BLACKJACK, all assets CODE: COBALT, REPEAT CODE: COBALT. REPEAT....."

Whatever the air-defence advisory was trying to say was soon drowned out as a air-raid sire went off in America. "Everyone get to cover, everyone get to cover!!" Newland didn't think twice grabbing the Captain by the shoulder and lunging him into his dug-out.

Saying a quick prayer, hoping whatever came, came quickly. The sergeant peered out of his fox-hole to make sure his men were alright.

The sergeant gazed out over the channel. A single large white plane was descending rapidly. Quickly followed by two grey darts, as they came out of the skyline. With one of the smaller planes firing a missile at the unbelievable fast bomber.

"GAS GAS GAS!!!! SUIT UP!!!! GAS GAS GAS!!!!" One intelligent solider screamed over the regimental channel. The Sergeant followed protocol out of reflex, but he could not take his gaze off the duel in the air.

Massive air-breaks soon slowed the plane down somewhat, no sooner then that happened a duo of white contrails burst away from the plane. Just a soon as the fired missile connected to the large bomber. But it was to late, he realized with horror that the bomber got of its payload.

The Sergeant didn't even bother telling people to cover there eyes, as he shoved his body into his foxhole. Soon a primordial shake started across the bridge, the bracing started to creak. The Sergeant could feel the brightness bounce of his eyelids. Then a wave of heat rolled over him, as if the surface of the sun itself was right beside him.

Then it was over, what once some part of the USA was an ever expanding mushroom cloud. "Looks like a tactical missiles, a least not area-denial weapo....." The ever so intelligent Captain said eerily cold, almost calculating.

Barely able to grasp what happened around him, Richard promptly opened his mask slightly above his mouth a puked to his side. Barely apply to hear the officer beside him, he did hear something.

Half walking, half stumbling towards the trench radio he grappled the mic to listen better. “This Corporal Santos, the refuges or someone is firing on us, we cant hold them. They’re breaching the perimeter. GOOD GO….”

Wiping his head around towards the bridge, the Sergeant try to peer into the police lines. At first nothing, then he saw a trickle of a few people running across the free way. Then dozen, followed by hundreds.

But they were not people no more, no they had descend into something for more animalistic. The fight or flight drive had kicked in, and this mob had defiantly picked the former.

“Sir what do we do? What are your orders?” The sergeant screamed in effort to be heard over his plastic mask.

Laughing almost menacingly “Does it even matter RICHARD. The World is ending, let those peop…”

Whatever the Captain was trying to say was left unsaid. As a bullet pierced through the left side of his skull, resulting in brain matter and blood spraying over the Sergeant.

Grasping the radio mic one more “This is…. This is Six Alpha to all call signs. Open Fire. Open Fire. Nothing can cross the bridge. Acknowledge All CALL SIGNS.”

The Sergeant did know what he was doing was right. If anything he caused another war to start, but he's orders were clear no one across the bridge. Even as the world felled apart, Sergeant Richard Newland took aim with his C1A1 and opened fire on young men… no teenager wearing a ragged plaid shirt. Soon after the whole defence line opened fire on the oncoming mob of people. Orders are orders, nothing across the bridge.

Sry bout the wait, uni is taking a heavy toll on me unfortunately. Ill be probably be updating a least twice more this week, if that is any comfort. Btw I read your comment Canadian Dragon as I was going through the Land of Flatwater, indeed you are right I shall do my best to fix this.

Last edited:
How did I miss this?

And given the total nature of the Exchange, how would Toronto not have been a target?

The airports not only could accommodate Allied aircraft, manufacturing facilities also could be geared towards the war effort and recovery. The Soviets would have wanted to deny NATO both assets.

Peace_Monger:

A dramatic update; however, it's been established (in "Don't Turn Your Back on the Wolfpack") that a 1 megaton war head detonated in the vicinity of the Peace Bridge. The bridge was destroyed and the area on both sides likely became a raging inferno.

Peace_Monger:

A dramatic update; however, it's been established (in "Don't Turn Your Back on the Wolfpack") that a 1 megaton war head detonated in the vicinity of the Peace Bridge. The bridge was destroyed and the area on both sides likely became a raging inferno.

damn kk I use a different cross-way then, thx u for the info

damn kk I use a different cross-way then, thx u for the info

The 1st one (along the international border) not too near an "A-list" target that comes to mind is the Blue Water Bridge between Port Huron, MI & Sarnia, ON (unless the bomb intended for Selfridge ANGB strays to the NE). Additionally, the Three Nations Crossing (Seaway International Bridge) between Cornwall, ON & Massena, NY or the Ogdensburg–Prescott International Bridge between Ogdensburg, NY and Johnstown, ON might work as well.

The 1st one (along the international border) not too near an "A-list" target that comes to mind is the Blue Water Bridge between Port Huron, MI & Sarnia, ON (unless the bomb intended for Selfridge ANGB strays to the NE). Additionally, the Three Nations Crossing (Seaway International Bridge) between Cornwall, ON & Massena, NY or the Ogdensburg–Prescott International Bridge between Ogdensburg, NY and Johnstown, ON might work as well.

Thx :Dfor the info I decide to switch it with the Lewiston–Queenston Bridge, lol school be so busy I haven't had time to read all the Protect and Survive scenarios. :(

Thx :Dfor the info I decide to switch it with the Lewiston–Queenston Bridge, lol school be so busy I haven't had time to read all the Protect and Survive scenarios. :(

That might work, as the Welland Canal and the electric power generating stations along lower Niagara River, being secondary targets, would be targeted by Soviet bombers later that day.

PART VI: Loaded Dices, As promised second update

PART IV: February 25th, 1984 around 9:00 Eastern Standard Time; CFB London: Emergency Government Local Headquarters, London, Ontario

It is strange that almost ever culture, creed, and individual have the imbedded nature against living without sunlight, yet humanity always took to the underground in times of trouble and fright. It was as such during the earliest days of our kind, and even to what many thought were the end of time in February of 1984.

Taken from What Little Time Remains; Historical References of Nations of Pre-Exchange; Published by Penguin Group West Fall, Avalon; January 2036.

Exchange; Published by Penguin Group Toronto, New Avalon; January 2036.

“Gentleman what the hell is happening to my province? Why cannot we not still contact the federal government, I thought this OTHER communication lines for that purpose ONLY!!!” Yelled out a very nearly broken Lieutenant General Governor.

“Sir everyone knew those lines were not fool prove, it is possible the Soviets knew about CFS Carp and hit in their opening salvo. It doesn’t matter Sir, with the death of Premier at Trenton, you are know in control until the federal government gets back on its feet.” Pleaded a very haggard Major General Van Tempsky.

A tense silence overcame the cramped room, the only noticeable noise was the monotone air fan, in the corner of the room. Scratching his non-existing hair Sir John Black Aired spoke “Your right, well what do we know then exactly? How badly were we hit?”

A unknown airforce officer spoke up “Sir we have confirmed detention of nuclear warheads in practically all major military locations and civilian population centers. We know for certain that CFB North Bay, Petawawa, Downsview, Kingston, Uplands, and Trenton have been destroyed loss of life is near totally. The cities that have been hit so far in addition to the ones mentioned are the general GTA area, Pickering, Chalk River, Darlington, Windsor, Fort Erie, and Sault Saint Marie.

One of dozens of voices then managed to speak up “Did the evacuation work? How many people to managed to get out?”

The Minister of Public Safety and Health was the first to speak up “Yes and no, we managed to evacuate roughly around one million people for the urban core areas; however because of rush nature of everything almost anyone in evacuation convoys were taken out in the blast.”

Another military officer piped in “The majority of the strikes were by ICBM so the SS-6 or SS-11 warheads were used, anyone in those areas that aren’t died now soon will be. Sir we have to be ready for secondary strikes by bomber formations, the war is still ongoing we need to defend Ontario.”

“What can we do any major military units have been wiped out, the federal government is gone, and most of Ontario is a now a radioactive lump of dirt.” Said a yet unknown voices, in the chaos of the meeting.

“We can still fight Sir, CFB Borden and London are still active, because of your mobilization order Sir we managed to move most of our men away from the blast areas, and we even managed to re-call the 3 RCR when it was on the rail tracks in Toronto back to London. Most of southern most reserve units are still report in, but anything past Borden is sketchy at best.”

“How can we fight back Generals? We have no fighter aircraft, and barely a four thousand professional soldiers on hand. And even if we did we have no-way to re-arm or contact them.” The Lieutenant General Governor barely whispered to the council.

“Sir we have quite a few AIRCOM assets that landed in the southern area of Ontario, I was on one of them. In London International and Waterloo International we have sixteen CF-116 and another eleven Vermont Air National Guard F-16. In Borden we managed to move nine C-130H and most of it’s the Twin Hueys and Kiowa out from Trenton and Downsview. Even seven Twin Otters got out of the blast zone. The best news Sir is that those fourteen of the those brand new CF-118 that were heading to German from Trenton; they land at Hamilton International. We can still fight Sir, we just need a direction, and some better communication lines.”

“What about power, food, medical supplies, and industry resources. We have to effectively create a country within a country. Most of our industry has been wiped out, doesn’t it make sense then we all ready have a massive brain drainage.” One of the dozens of Aids spoke out of turn.

“Well as far as we are aware Bruce and Niagara power planets is still online, the main hospitals in the GTA were almost totally evacuated, although the radiation residue is going to cost a host of problems for years to come. The Bombardier plant in Toronto managed to evacuate partial but most of castings and equipment were lost. Although Toronto was the main industrial area, there are still a few minor areas that are standing. We can still function Sir. ” The industrial councillor Tony Vargas, with some hope in his voice.

“Although the radiation is going to cause a lot of immediate problems for us, after the downwind moves on we will be relatively safe. However we have to make sure that people stay underground, otherwise the downwind is going to be the death of us all.” Spoke out one of half of dozen generals in the room.

“What about the border areas, the ones not in the urban areas? Can we contact the Americans?” One of the five councillor asked out loud.

“Yes about that Sir, we have some contact with local American forces but not much beyond that; but Sir our forces had to open fire on American civilians trying to the cross the border. There were about to overrun their position.” Reported the local Brigadier General Thomas.

“Dammit we can’t have that happening; destroy the bridges if you have to stop the civilians, but we shall not slaughter them. General get those aircraft up, we needed to defend what is left of Ontario. And try to organize the OPP and local reserve units, to get everyone underground and to distribute the necessary supplies. But keep away from any areas that have been hit.” The Lieutenant Governor General said in his yet again calming voice.

“Yes Sir, but then what? After the radiation dies down in a couple of weeks, we will have millions of starving or dying people. Possible no federal government, and the Soviets might still come at us again.”

“We will cross the road when we come to it. Right now we have to worry about the present; we need to make sure no more warheads drop on us more, that Ontarians are safe, and know there is still a government.” Said the Lieutenant Governor General as he looked at each councillor individual.

A chore of Yes Governor or Sir soon followed as almost of the civilian and military councillors left the briefing room, to organize their own needs.

Last edited: