Look to the West -- Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the offer.

At the moment I'm thinking a lot of people who download this (assuming people will) will be reading it on a small black and white screen, so I'll probably want to make a few simplified outline maps (of the type one generally gets in history books, which arguably deepens the immersion I suppose) rather than putting in flashy masterpieces like Nugax has contributed in the past.

If you had a website for it, you could post the flashy stuff there.

Thande

Donor
OK, I've had a go at doing a map in the style of the black and white ones you tend to see at the start of history books (right down to the use of the crosshatching styles in lieu of different colours). Tell me what you think.

1727 bw test.png

Last edited:
If this is the style you're going to make lots of maps in, then so be it, but I honestly much prefer the flashy Nugax everything-gets-its-own-color style. Though I understand the HRE would be difficult to depict that way...

Thande

Donor
If this is the style you're going to make lots of maps in, then so be it, but I honestly much prefer the flashy Nugax everything-gets-its-own-color style. Though I understand the HRE would be difficult to depict that way...

It's not my preference in an ideal world, but as Alex says the intention is to make something that will look informative on a black and white screen (or page). The emulation of the style in history books, besides being sensible because those are also based around the limitations of black and white, perhaps helps deepen the immersion in the world (one associates this style with definitive OTL maps).

mowque

Banned
I like the black and white but keep up the good work with DIVERSE cross-hatching. Some books, they difference is minute and one hatch looks much like another. Your systems seems pretty good.

(Note- Again haven't read the TL or looked at the map for info so I still don't know a twig about your TL,lol).

Thande

Donor
I like the black and white but keep up the good work with DIVERSE cross-hatching. Some books, they difference is minute and one hatch looks much like another. Your systems seems pretty good.

(Note- Again haven't read the TL or looked at the map for info so I still don't know a twig about your TL,lol).

Given that this is an OTL map just depicting the year in which the TL diverges as a starting point, you can look at it all you want :p

Agree re. hatching--you can see here that it's really not that hard to come up with easily distinguishable hatches (thanks, Paint.Net) but there are an awful lot of these types of maps in books where they use nigh indistinguishable ones. An AH example is the maps in the front of Turtledove's Colonisation books, although those also (unwisely) use shades of grey as well as hatching.

Thande

Donor
I'm not altogether familiar with what a "Deylicate" is supposed to be, or why Algeria is one.

A state ruled by a Dey, which was the title of the ruler of Algiers. It's an anglicisation/Latinisation/whatever of the Turkish term "Deylik". (Tunis by contrast was ruled by a Bey, so is a Beylik or Beylicate in the Europeanised form).

I'm not altogether familiar with what a "Deylicate" is supposed to be, or why Algeria is one.
Is it a delicate deylicate?:D

Seriously though, nice map for the style, though I do think that somewhere else should be shaded to decrease the empty white, but that's just me.

You forgot to give the Dutch Republic and Denmark the HRE outline around their borders - this way it looks like they're both part of the Empire. But besides that, it's a good map.

It's not my preference in an ideal world, but as Alex says the intention is to make something that will look informative on a black and white screen (or page). The emulation of the style in history books, besides being sensible because those are also based around the limitations of black and white, perhaps helps deepen the immersion in the world (one associates this style with definitive OTL maps).

Is nice.

Certainly, it will be of use in a EdT-ian PDF-ised version for putting in the back/end of section, if it is going to be standardised.

Thande

Donor
Is nice.

Certainly, it will be of use in a EdT-ian PDF-ised version for putting in the back/end of section, if it is going to be standardised.

If you didn't see my note on the end of the previous page, the purpose of this is because I'm considering trying to publish LTTW as an ebook via Amazon.

I'm pondering how many European maps to do. I was going to do one in the 1750s, but really I don't think enough changed in between 1727 and then. There's the Polish Partition and the Bavarian landswap and so on but given how the TL is spaced out, I wonder if there's any point in doing any (European) maps in between 1727 and 1794. If I did do one in between, when do you people think the best date would be to do one--after the Third War of Supremacy, after the War of the Polish Partition, what?

Otherwise the dates I intend to cover with European maps of this type are 1794, poss. 1800-ish (time of Double Revolution), 1809, 1827, 1841. Plus maybe four maps of the ENA (1749, 1788, 1809, 1834-ish) and a few for South America, Southeast Asia, India etc. Call it maybe 15-20 maps in total to illustrate the TL. What do you reckon?

I decided to reread the whole thing as I didn't remember everything well and it's as good as I remembered.
If you are going to publish it, there are minor nitpicks about the French names in Pérousie with some "du" instead of "de" or the feminine version of a word instead of the masculine... Other names just don't feel right like the "monts verts", you could go for the "montagnes vertes" or the "monts brumeux" ; there is also "Biéraron" which could be shortened in "Béron".
So I hope you will manage to get it published because the amount of work you put into it must be really impressive!

Thande

Donor
I decided to reread the whole thing as I didn't remember everything well and it's as good as I remembered.
If you are going to publish it, there are minor nitpicks about the French names in Pérousie with some "du" instead of "de" or the feminine version of a word instead of the masculine... Other names just don't feel right like the "monts verts", you could go for the "montagnes vertes" or the "monts brumeux" ; there is also "Biéraron" which could be shortened in "Béron".
So I hope you will manage to get it published because the amount of work you put into it must be really impressive!

Thanks. Everyone, feel free to make these kinds of comments, I will be making minor retcons and adjustments of this type for the published version.

As fo French gender, it's something of a running joke that I always unerringly manage to guess the wrong one, despite it being a 50/50 chance.

Thanks. Everyone, feel free to make these kinds of comments, I will be making minor retcons and adjustments of this type for the published version.

As fo French gender, it's something of a running joke that I always unerringly manage to guess the wrong one, despite it being a 50/50 chance.

Well, for linguistic ones, it should really be Pavlovsk-na-Baravakhule, not Pavlovsk-na-Baravakhul -- though you can Anglicize it as Pavlovsk-on-Baravakhul, the way Rostov-na-Donu is Anglicized Rostov-on-Don. (I realize this is somewhat confusing because the River Don is an exception to the rule, and you use a 'u' not an 'e'. And really Rostov-on-the-Don or Pavlovsk-on-the-Baravakhul is a more accurate translation (that suffix basically being an article, though it has some bizarre special name), but the custom in OTL is to exclude the 'the', since Russian technically has no articles.

I was also going to point out a ship named Luck would probably be Udacha or maybe a Latinized Fortuna but certainly not the rather odd-sounding Vezenie, where you add a suffix making the verb vezyot (to be lucky) a noun, but then I remembered that was in DoD :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.