Let Us Be The One: The Story of America's Fourth Network

I was beginning to think this thread had vanished into thin air.

No. Just work getting under foot.

what a terrific job as always, loved this tl for all details and like ever, full of graphics and details.
[snip]
Al always terrific job, this timeline have been amazing.

Thank you. The infoboxes have been fun, but the schedules always take the longest. Believe it or not, the schedules are not just show names randomly thrown together. Now, I don't cast every show, but I do know the format and genre of every show on the schedule as well why it fails or succeeds. I find it helps my storytelling. Occasionally, I have to do extra research for an infobox's background. For example, when I did Eastern Seaboard Conference's infobox, I had to figure what teams made up the conference and where they came from. When I came to the BCS infoboxes, it was easy because I already knew what conferences had what teams and how long a conference survived.

Who owns the major comic book companies at this point?

In OTL, the major companies of the early/mid-90s were DC, Marvel, Image, and (I would argue) Archie. In TTL, the three majors (largest to smallest) are DC, owned by Warner Communications; Empire, owned by J2 Communications; and Altair, independently owned.

A quick background.

Despite a POD of 1968, history doesn't really start to diverge until 1974. Martin Goodman founds Empire Comics. Originally, Goodman told the staff rip-off the better DC and Marvel characters. However, the staff was convinced that was not way to go. They were able to license some characters and outright purchase others for less than projected costs. While they weren't able to immediately outsell DC and Marvel, they did well that Goodman leaves them alone. In 1978, Seaboard Publications (Empire's parent company) acquires controlling interest in Archie Comics and folds them into Empire Comic. However, the name, Archie Comics, survives as an Empire imprint. By the mid-80s, they are close third behind DC and Marvel.

In 1985, Golan-Globus is on buying spree among their purchases are Marvel Comics. EIC Jim Shooter is given carte blanche to celebrate Marvel's 25 Anniversary. Shooter decides to destroy the Marvel multiverse and launching a newly rebooted Marvel Universe. The storyline would be presented in the miniseries Zero Hour. This time period would be known as the New Marvel era. Critical reception to New Marvel was not kind and sales didn't increase as projected. In 1990, Marvel was struck another blow when they were put up for sale. Golan-Globus had overextended and needed cash fast. DC sensing an opportunity acted quickly and bought Marvel. DC formally absorbed Marvel in 1991. The last series Marvel produced was Countdown. Countdown brought back the Marvel multiverse and merged it into DC Universe.

Empire had no time to gloat over Marvel's demise as their parent company, Seaboard Publications, was purchased by J2 Communications. However, J2 seems more interested in leveraging the IP. The failure to take advantage of Marvel's absence allowed for the ascension of Altair Comics. Altair was founded in 1977. By 1986, it was the largest of the second tier publishers. However, the Marvel purchase left some writers and artists unhappy with they saw as the monopolization of industry by DC. With Empire not expanding, they decided to form their own imprints. Wanting to challenge the big boys, but not go it alone; the creators turned Altair. Under the Altair banner, each creative team setup their own imprint. The visceral style of these imprints struck a chord with new generation of comic readers and quickly catapulted Altair into a virtual tie for second with Empire.

What is the relationship between Disney and Paramount?

On the surface it appears as if they are sister companies as they are owned by the same company, but for all practical purposes Disney is operated as subsidiary of Paramount Communications.

Does Nintendo still go into the game business?

Yes.

Here is my overview of TTL's console history.

First generation consoles follow generally follow their familiar path. By the time the second generation consoles come around, changes have begun to set in with the two dominate systems being the Atari Astrovision and Magnavox Odyssey2. Following a correction in the video game market, the next generation are released.

The third generation would see new companies enter the market. The Coleco Starvision and Magnavox Odyssey3 would struggle to find market share, while the Sega Masterplay System, Nintendo GameCom, and Atari Astrocade would battle for dominance. This battle would continue into the fourth generation with the Atari Astroventure, Nintendo Super GameCom, and Sega Panthera. It's during this time period that Nintendo releases its handheld console, the GameBox. However, it was beaten to market by the Epyx Sidekick. This allows Epyx to dominate the market.

As TTL enters the fifth generation era, the consoles have switched from cartridges to CD-ROMs. In attempt to gain an edge, Nintendo has teamed up with Sony. The new system is called the Dream Station. However, the relationship between Sony and Nintendo is not strong. Atari (now Epyx Atari) and Sega remain their main competition. Meanwhile, Sega has released the Ocelot while Epyx Atari has produced the Eclipse. In addition, Epyx Atari continues to dominate the handheld market with the Sidekick and Sidekick Plus.

What is the story behind Epyx Atari?
So Epyx bought Atari or viceversa?(otl atari owner was warner till was sold out for so much people before die, epyx was a upstart trying to sell handy before it fail) and seems Handy/Sidekick worked...did have better batery life here?(And wonder what happened nintendo and sega too, specially with Seattle Atheltic mentions as was Nintendo the one pushed for Safeco Field)

The early days of Atari is roughly the same until about 1976 when Atari is purchased by Bally Manufacturing. Its pinball operations are merged Midway, while Atari absorbs Midway's electronic section. Atari doesn't suffer from mismanagement as in OTL, but it does lose ground to other companies. Just like OTL, Bally goes on an expansion spree. By the end of the 80s, over expansion results in them needing to sell-off of some divisions. Atari is spun off in 1992. The following year sees Atari absorbed by Epyx. However, as the Atari name remained a strong brand, Epyx changes the company name to include Atari.

Like Atari, Epyx's early history remains the same. Jon Freeman still leaves to found Free Fall Associates, but he remains associated with Epyx. He produces a number of successes for Epyx. Not wanting to directly compete in the console market, Epyx begins developing a handheld version. In 1987, they will release the Sidekick. It becomes a tremendous success for the company. Despite the release other handheld units, the Sidekick dominates the market. When Atari is spun off in 1992, a prosperous Epyx senses an opportunity and purchases Atari. The new company now has a major presence in both the hardware and software areas of the video game market.

The Seattle Athletics are in Oakland????

In 1975, Finley suggested the Chicago White Sox move to Seattle in order to allow the Athletics move to Chicago. In TTL, he just moves to Seattle.

Did you've to nerf baseball that bad, still otl a mega fans and with 4 division, that will make playoff pretty interesting.

It was not my intention to present a nerfed MLB. Just like in OTL, TTL's MLB is in decline, but ratings and attendance are still higher than in OTL. This is due to things such as MacPhail preventing the 1994 strike and lessening the steroid scandal. Since, MLB didn't lose a step in the 1990s, they ended up expanding to 32 teams. However, the owner's lapdog Bettman has slowing undone some of the progress made in labor relations. MLB only just avoided a strike in 2014. So, Bettman's days are numbered. They didn't fire him 2015 as it would be see as weakness. He will be replaced in 2016 as a fifteen year tenure is seen as long enough. His replacement will be a member of certain Texas family. ;)

Here are some additional details.

In 1972, the Senators move to Texas and become the Spurs. The organization thought the State of Texas might object the use of the name Rangers. This also the year that George Steinbrenner purchases the Cleveland Indians. He will turn them into late 70s/early 80s powerhouse.

In 1976, Charles Finley relocates the Athletics to Seattle. This ends Seattle's lawsuit with MLB. Without the lawsuit, the American League decides to expand at later date. The following year, Finley is forced to sell the team due to his divorce.

In 1978, the National League votes to allow the Designated Hitter.

In 1984, the American League expansion teams, Denver Grizzlies and Toronto Towers, begin play.

In 1985, the newly relocated Minnesota Twins take to the field as the Tampa Bay Corsairs. In 1984, the team was hit hard by the verdicts in the Minnesota Drug Trials as well as the death of their owner. The family wanting out of baseball sells the team to a group from St. Petersburg.

In 1987, the National League adds its two expansion teams to the standings, the Minnesota Monarchs and Washington Federals. The NL's plan to expand into Florida was scraped when in 1984, the Twins announced their relocation. Pressure from the Senator Walter Mondale and Governor Rudy Perpich encouraged them to claim Minnesota.

In 1990, for a variety of reasons including a court finding of collusion, Commissioner Peter Ueberroth resigns. He is replaced by Lee MacPhail. He is successful at the keeping the League running and strong. He manages to rebuild attendance and television ratings while negating threats of a players strike, an owner's lock out, and steroid scandal.

In 1995, the National League expands again with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Miami Marlins.

In 2000, the American League adds the Carolina Colonials and Portland Redwoods. The year also sees the retirement of MacPhail who restored the luster to MLB. He is replace by Gary Bettman.

In 2016, Gary Bettman resigns as MLB Commissioner. His inability to sustain MLB's fortunes as in past six years have seen television ratings and revenues fallen. Ownership/player relations are at the lowest point in twenty years. He is replaced by Neil Bush.

So Xandria..early and better made Underworld with both Spielberg and Goddenbery at the helm...that is awesome.

The image for the movie poster is actually from an advertisement for the TV show Birds of Prey. The film itself is not Underworld, but it is an urban fantasy film. I was imagining a female Dresden Files or possibly Buffy Summers in a late twentieth century Doc Sidhe setting.

This film was Spielberg's big hit. He had been "trapped" doing television movies as he was considered the go to guy for genre films. He has since had several hits.

Wonder what is up George Lucas, Ted turner and other ITTL, what will be of wrestling during 90's?

George Lucas is doing quite well. He and Marcia have two children, boy-girl twins. He has managed to achieve auteur status, he was seeking. His films have well received by both critics and audiences. His current project is an animated film dedicated to his children. This will be the first feature length computer animated film.

Ted Turner is still building his media empire. Due to his broadcast interests, he had to sell his interests in the Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Chiefs.

As with OTL, wrestling has begun to expand beyond it roots. Pay-per-view has very lucrative. While there are other organizations exist, there are only two major ones, the WCW and WWF. Neither company has managed to dominate the other. As each company does occasionally manage to poach a star from the other, this keeps the rivalry going. Fans hear rumors of the two merging or forming an MLB-type alliance, but these are just rumors as neither company's management can stand the other.

What a fantastic use of Wikiboxes and a fun timeline (ABC having every show in the Top 10 is hard to believe but hilarious).

No software patents huh that's going to be a crazy 1990s :D. Looking forward to it.

As much as I enjoy all these networks running around, Fox lost (IIRC) a billion dollars IOTL before it found its footing. WB & MCA are on a fool's errand, especially with cable coming up at them Poor guys. TV question: is fin-syn still in effect? I might have missed it since you can't text search much of your timeline (a downside I only just realized of the wikiboxes) I admit.

Quick question: Where's Alan Alda in all of this?

That apologist and collectivist? Dead hopefully, if I'm channelling an alternate universe Ayn Rand (as John Hodgman).

Last edited:

bookmark95

Banned
Man you sir a creative genius. You've invented shows that I am now dying to see.

Did you ever read Drew's Fear, Loathing, and Gumbo? In that TL, due to worse economy in the 1970s, Howard Hughes buys up a bunch of bankrupt media companies, and the resulting Hughes Network becomes an ATL Fox News. Spiro Agnew gets his own talk show.

When will this be back?

I'm hoping to have it ready by Thanksgiving, if work doesn't get in the way.

Quick question: Where's Alan Alda in all of this?

Without M*A*S*H, Alda's career is a bit different. In 1972, he was cast by Peter Bogdanovich as Father Damien Karras in the Exorcist. The film would fifth largest grossing film in 1973. For the rest of the 1970s, Alda would be mainly cast in dramatic roles. However, he was able show his comic talents. He played a driver in an illegal cross-country race in the ensemble comedy, the Gumball Rally (1975). In 1980, he plays a film producer in Blake Edwards' self-inspired Hollywood satire Night Wind. In 1979, he was cast in the dramedy Duet. The show would run for five seasons and was a major hit for UBC. After the end of Duet, he swaps between directing, while still taking the occasional acting job. In 2002, Alda returned to television. He was one of voice actors for the animated Star Trek: Academy. In 2006, he help create and produce Beggars and Choosers for Home Venue. The show was a behind the scenes look at a television network. It would run for four years. Since 2012, Alda has hosting his own interview show for the ARTS network.

That apologist and collectivist? Dead hopefully, if I'm channelling an alternate universe Ayn Rand (as John Hodgman).

As with OTL, Alda is still a supporter of liberal causes, but without the success of M*A*S*H behind him, the public sees him as just another liberal Hollywooder.

What a fantastic use of Wikiboxes and a fun timeline (ABC having every show in the Top 10 is hard to believe but hilarious).

Well to be fair, CBS has come close to owning the Top 10 a few times. They had 9 in 73, 8 in 74 & 79, and 7 for four years in row 81-84. But yea, I probably went a little overboard with all 10.

No software patents huh that's going to be a crazy 1990s :D. Looking forward to it.

While software cannot be patented, it can be copyrighted and certain elements can be trademarked. This ruling's impact will be much larger in the late 2000s. No patent trolls. Phone wars (e.g. Apple v. Sumsung) will still occur, but take a different tact.

More important is the ruling next to that one. It's essentially the same as OTL, except for one important detail. In OTL, the Court ruled that the defendant could not prosecuted for the interstate transportation of stolen property as bootlegs did not fit the criteria for that charge. In TTL, they rule that bootlegs don't count as stolen property period. This will a major issue for media companies in 2000s.

As much as I enjoy all these networks running around, Fox lost (IIRC) a billion dollars IOTL before it found its footing. WB & MCA are on a fool's errand, especially with cable coming up at them Poor guys.

WBS will do about well as the WB/UPN/CW do in OTL. It will make money, but people will tend forget it exists, just like the CW. However, it will still manage produce hit cult show now again (e.g. Buffy or Supernatural).

TV question: is fin-syn still in effect? I might have missed it since you can't text search much of your timeline (a downside I only just realized of the wikiboxes) I admit.

I never covered it directly like I did its sibling, the Prime Time Access Rule. The FCC in TTL has had a rougher time than OTL. Their "content oversight" abilities have been curtailed by the courts. So, despite the controversial nature of the Financial Interest and Syndication (fin-syn) rules, the FCC did relax their enforcement during the 80s. However, during the mid-90s the makeup of the FCC commission changed. These new members including a new chairman took a friendlier approach to the media companies and with five years completely eliminated all of the fin-syn rules by 1997.

In this timeline, does Los Angeles still have an NFL franchise after 1994?

In TTL, Carroll Rosenbloom didn't drown in 1979. When he finally passes ten years later, his son Steve Rosenbloom inherits the team. As in OTL, the Rams still move to Anaheim in 1980. In 1994, St. Louis built a new stadium to lure unhappy Rams franchise as the Cardinals having relocated a decade before. However, an agreement was reached with the city of Los Angeles and two years later the Rams moved into their new stadium adjacent to Dodger Stadium. However, the St. Louis did not go unused as another franchise relocated there in 1996.

In case, you're wondering I do the location of each team in the five major leagues (NFL, MLB, UBA, NHL, and NASL) and one minor league (USFL). This includes who is an expansion team, which team has relocated or rebranded, and if someone has swapped conferences.

Man you sir a creative genius. You've invented shows that I am now dying to see.

Did you ever read Drew's Fear, Loathing, and Gumbo? In that TL, due to worse economy in the 1970s, Howard Hughes buys up a bunch of bankrupt media companies, and the resulting Hughes Network becomes an ATL Fox News. Spiro Agnew gets his own talk show.

Thank you very much.

I'm a fan of both Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72. and its follow up Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears. If anybody hasn't check them, you should do so.

Without M*A*S*H, Alda's career is a bit different. In 1972, he was cast by Peter Bogdanovich as Father Damien Karras in the Exorcist. The film would fifth largest grossing film in 1973. For the rest of the 1970s, Alda would be mainly cast in dramatic roles. However, he was able show his comic talents. He played a driver in an illegal cross-country race in the ensemble comedy, the Gumball Rally (1975). In 1980, he plays a film producer in Blake Edwards' self-inspired Hollywood satire Night Wind. In 1979, he was cast in the dramedy Duet. The show would run for five seasons and was a major hit for UBC. After the end of Duet, he swaps between directing, while still taking the occasional acting job. In 2002, Alda returned to television. He was one of voice actors for the animated Star Trek: Academy. In 2006, he help create and produce Beggars and Choosers for Home Venue. The show was a behind the scenes look at a television network. It would run for four years. Since 2012, Alda has hosting his own interview show for the ARTS network.

That made me curious about another actor. Does Leslie Nielsen still do dramatic roles, or has he gone into comedic acting ITTL?

That made me curious about another actor. Does Leslie Nielsen still do dramatic roles, or has he gone into comedic acting ITTL?

In TTL, he still goes into comedy, but it is later than OTL.

He was able to show off his comedic talents on some of the lighter episodes of Star Trek: Continuum. Two years after the show ended, Mel Brooks hires him to be one of the leads in his period peiece spoof, Dramatis Personae. It is one of the bigger comedies of the Eighties and leads to additional comedy roles. His only dramatic roles involve either voice work for the Star Trek animated series and Continuum Era video games or his guest shots on Star Trek: Farpoint. At the time of his passing in 2014, the current generation remembers him mostly from his hit TV series, The Blue One with the One Moon, where he played an alien posing as an science professor.

Best Fourth TV Network TL ever.

In OTL, Fox is never considered to be a "Fourth Television Network" when it was first launched.

In case, you're wondering I do the location of each team in the five major leagues (NFL, MLB, UBA, NHL, and NASL) and one minor league (USFL). This includes who is an expansion team, which team has relocated or rebranded, and if someone has swapped conferences.

Speaking of swapping conferences, how did my Eagles end up in the AFC? (Not that I mind us winning a Super Bowl over Dallas, but I am curious what happened there.)

Also, I love some of your choices for Doctors, especially Rickman and Davies.

Speaking of swapping conferences, how did my Eagles end up in the AFC? (Not that I mind us winning a Super Bowl over Dallas, but I am curious what happened there.)

Just as in OTL, the Commissioner requested three teams switch divisions as to even out the number of teams. Eventually, the Commissioner offered money to get teams to move. In OTL, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh took the money ($3 million) and switched. In TTL, the offer was $2.5 million. Saint Louis was the first to agree.

Leonard Tose had just purchased the Eagles the year before $16 million. He though why not take the money and move to the "lesser" league. It would be easiest path to the Super Bowl with a nice little bonus.

As neither Cleveland or Pittsburgh would move without the other, the Commissioner eventually convinced Baltimore to take it. However, this left Paul Brown unhappy. He wanted to be in the same conference as Cleveland. As none of the more established teams would consider switching with Cincinnati, he decided to try and get one of the new teams to do so. Eventually, with a combination of money from Brown and pressure from the Commissioner, Atlanta relented and joined the AFC.

With the team switching situation over, the NFL would set its sights on realignment. The AFC would prove easy. Houston would leave the East and join the newly relocated Atlanta, Baltimore, and St. Louis in the freshly created Central Division. Philadelphia would join the East, while the West would remain unchanged. The NFC was harder. Eventually, a lineup was chosen out of a hat.

The NFL in 1970:
American Football Conference
Eastern Division: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles
Central Division: Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Colts, Houston Oilers, Saint Louis Cardinals
Western Division: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers
National Football Conference
Eastern Division: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins
Central Division: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings
Western Division: Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Rams, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers

As with OTL, the NFL deferred expansion until 1976. The Seattle Kings and Tampa Bay Buccaneers joined AFC West and NFC Central respectively and then switched conferences the following the year. Until realignment in 2006, Tampa Bay played in the AFC Central and Seattle in the NFC West.

Also, I love some of your choices for Doctors, especially Rickman and Davies.

Nobody seems to object to Davies. As a fan of Jonathan Creek, I couldn't resist. :)

Last edited:
Just as in OTL, the Commissioner requested three teams switch divisions as to even out the number of teams. Eventually, the Commissioner offered money to get teams to move. In OTL, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh took the money ($3 million) and switched. In TTL, the offer was $2.5 million. Saint Louis was the first to agree.

Leonard Tose had just purchased the Eagles the year before $16 million. He though why not take the money and move to the "lesser" league. It would be easiest path to the Super Bowl with a nice little bonus.

As neither Cleveland or Pittsburgh would move without the other, the Commissioner eventually convinced Baltimore to take it. However, this left Paul Brown unhappy. He wanted to be in the same conference as Cleveland. As none of the more established teams would consider switching with Cincinnati, he decided to try and get one of the new teams to do so. Eventually, with a combination of money from Brown and pressure from the Commissioner, Atlanta relented and joined the AFC.

With the team switching situation over, the NFL would set its sights on realignment. The AFC would prove easy. Houston would leave the East and join the newly relocated Atlanta, Baltimore, and St. Louis in the freshly created Central Division. Philadelphia would join the East, while the West would remain unchanged. The NFC was harder. Eventually, a lineup was chosen out of a hat.

The NFL in 1970:
Eastern Division: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles
Central Division: Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Colts, Houston Oilers, Saint Louis Cardinals
Western Division: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers
Eastern Division: Cincinnati Browns, Cleveland Browns, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins
Central Division: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings
Western Division: Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Rams, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers

As with OTL, the NFL deferred expansion until 1976. The Seattle Kings and Tampa Bay Buccaneers joined AFC West and NFC Central respectively and then switched conferences the following the year. Until realignment in 2006, Tampa Bay played in the AFC Central and Seattle in the NFC West.

Nobody seems to object to Davies. As a fan of Jonathan Creek, I couldn't resist. :)

Cincinnati Browns? I think you meant Cincinnati Bengals, right?

How is PBS, which hasn't been mentioned, as far as I know, doing at the momentum

I have been a little remiss in not mentioning them.

However, the history of PBS isn't that different from OTL. Its battle over funding from the government remains the same, except that in the Eighties they have an ally in the White House. However, the Nineties represent a crossroad. PBS faces pressure the federal government, competition from kids cable channels, and leadership shakeups within their underwriters and content providers.

I will present a better picture in the next update.

Cincinnati Browns? I think you meant Cincinnati Bengals, right?

Yes, I did. :eek: I've updated the previous post.

As I probably won't cover this information elsewhere, here is a quick overview of NFL team relocations/redbrandings from 1972 to 1996.

In 1972, Hugh Culverhouse purchased the LA Rams. Under a prior agreement, he and Carroll Rosenbloom, owner of the Baltimore Colts, exchanged franchises.

In 1976, two expansion teams began play, the Seattle Kings owned Robert Irsay and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers owned by Tom McCloskey.

Tired of the battles with the City of Baltimore over Memorial Stadium, Culverhouse relocates the Colts to Jacksonville in 1979.

After a string of broken promises over the Oakland Coliseum, the Raiders attempt to relocate to Los Angeles in 1980. They play to move into the now Ram-less LA Coliseum. With the departure of the Athletics, the Raiders were the Oakland Coliseum's only occupant and the City of Oakland refuses to let them out of their contract. When the Raiders move anyway, the city files suit. The Courts rule in Oakland's favor. However, the NFL warns Oakland to follow through with their stadium obligations.

Like the Colts, the Bills find themselves in a similar situation (improve the stadium or we'll relocate). In early 1984, the city calls what they believe a bluff on Ralph Wilson's part. Unfortunately for Buffalo, it wasn't a bluff and team relocates to newly build Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis. As the Bills name doesn't make sense in their new location, the team rebrands as the Indiana Bisons.

Seeing the success of a new stadium in luring an NFL team, Phoenix makes plans to build a new stadium. As Oakland didn't followed through, the NFL grants permission for the Raiders to move while the Sun Dome is being built. The Phoenix Raiders begin play at Sun Devil Stadium in 1985.

The City of St. Louis found themselves in a rerun of the Baltimore/Buffalo situation. Initially, it looked like the Cardinals would relocated to Baltimore, but the status of Memorial Stadium became a deal breaker. However in 1985, St. Louis voters rejected building a new stadium. Sensing an opportunity, the voters of Memphis agreed to build a new stadium, but only if the Cardinals agreed to relocate. In 1987, the Cardinals moved to Memphis.

In 1991, the NFL expanded again. The new teams were the Baltimore Stallions and Carolina Copperheads.

The following year, three teams underwent rebranding. Two teams decided to embrace their regional home areas. Memphis became the Mid-South Cardinals, while Phoenix was renamed the Arizona Raiders. However, another team underwent a more controversial renaming. In 1990, complaints over the Redskins name began to pick up steam with support from the NAACP and ADL. The next year, Malcolm Glazer purchased the team following the death of Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke. Glazer deciding that the name wasn't worth the bad press and rebranded the team as the Redhawks. Despite an outcry from some fans, the rebranding stuck.

In 1993, the Chargers attempted to leverage the City of San Diego for a separate stadium from the Padres and were rejected. In 1994, St. Louis built a new stadium to lure the Rams away from LA. However, the Rams decided to stay in Los Angeles. The Chargers seeing no reason for the stadium to go to waste, relocated the following season.

The NFL in 1995:
Eastern Division: Indiana Bisons, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles
Central Division: Atlanta Falcons, Houston Oilers, Jacksonville Colts, Mid-South Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Western Division: Arizona Raiders, Baltimore Stallions, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Saint Louis Chargers
Eastern Division: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redhawks
Central Division: Carolina Copperheads, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings
Western Division: Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Rams, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Kings

bookmark95

Banned
So does Matt Groening still go on to create the Simpsons?

Or does this new network broadcast his other work, Life in Hell?

Will Buffalo and San Diego regain NFL franchises at some point?

What will become of animated shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls and Star vs the Forces of Evil?

One cult classic property from OTL you could incorporate into this story would be an Australian animated show created by Obie Scott Wade, about a teenager who accidentally becomes a crossdressing crimefighter: Shezow