Lands of Bronze and Llamas - A Domestication TL

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
The Pounding of Hooves
The Beginnings of Columbian Domestication

On every continent and in every age, human societies have been profoundly impacted by domestication. It almost seems to come naturally to human beings to bend their environment to their wishes, and perhaps the most dramatic example of this is the subjugation of various species of animal, plant, and even fungus to suit human needs. The process of domestication would arise on nearly every continent, and would dramatically shape the destinies of mankind.

Hesperidia, it seems, began with somewhat of a disadvantage.

When the first humans entered Columbia from Eurasia between 15,000 and 30,000 years ago, the only domesticated animal they brought with them was the dog (Canis lupis familiaris). A steadfast companion of the hunter-gatherer since time immemorial, as well as a source of food among other things, the dog would nevertheless fail to become a staple of agriculture among the settled societies of Columbia.

EDI1wtH.jpg

The Siberian husky, which likely resembles the forms of domesticated dog first brought to Columbia.

Upon the arrival of the first proto-Columbians, the Americas teemed with dozens of species of mammalian megafauna [1], from saber-toothed cats and mastodon, to colossal armadillos and giant ground sloths. With meat in such great abundance, hunting was for some thousands of years simply the most effective means of survival in the hemisphere. However, as the Ice Age drew to a close, the megafauna of Hesperidia began to die off. It seems likely that some combination of human predation and the world's changing climate doomed most of these creatures to extinction.

t3eEweM.jpg

Proto-Columbians stalk a glyptodont, a colossal relation of the modern armadillo.

Whatever the ultimate reason for the die-off, by 8000 BCE, only a few species of megafauna remained in the hemisphere, eliminating many potential domesticates from the pool of candidates.

As the tried-and-true survival method of big game hunting died out in Hesperidia, proto-Columbians were forced to make the transition to small-game hunting and other subsistence methods in their stead. It is at this time, about 8000 BCE, that the Proto-Columbian Period ends, and the Archaic Period begins.

The Archaic Period would be marked both by the first complex human societies in Columbia, as well as the first large-scale cultivation of domesticated plants. In Nuuyoo [2], often referred to as the "Cradle of Agriculture" of the continent, this process would begin the earliest. Squash was an early domesticate of the Nuuyooi peoples. Squashes are a family of low-lying, gourd-like plants of the genus Cucurbita, and in their numerous varieties provided an important source of nutrition for the earliest Columbian farmers. Squashes would come to be cultivated independently in the eastern woodlands of the continent, but this separate domestication of the plant came perhaps six thousand years later.

6UsX222.jpg

Squash.

Maize would be the next arrival in the Nuuyooi diet. We should not be misled by the large and fruitful ears of modern maize when considering the domestication of the plant; the wild form of maize is a grass called teosinte, whose own cobs are aggravatingly small. The persistence of the people of archaic Nuuyoo in making the plant useful for cultivation must be admired.

hQl17ij.jpg

Teosinte.

The first true domestication of what we can call maize comes from south-central Nuuyoo at around 5500 BCE, and it rapidly grew to become the staple crop of the peoples of Isthmocolumbia. Populations throughout the entire region exploded as the cultivation of the plant spread, and the rise of agriculture in the region only accelerated as plants like the chili, avocados, cassava (an arrival from Madeira, it seems), and dozens of others joined maize and squashes as part of the Isthmocolumbian agricultural package.

Past the Tuuwaya Desert [3] in Petsiroò, the agricultural situation was very different. Here, plant cultivation was very limited until the introduction of maize from Isthmocolumbia, and although the ancient Petsiroi peoples probably experimented with wild chenopods and squashes, the importance of these cultivated plants was marginal, in part due to the dryer climate of the region than was found to the south. Hunter-gatherer societies were still predominant when, around 5000 BCE, a new and more reliable source of food began to rise to their attention.

Since its survival by a hair's breadth at the close of the Pleistocene, the uurung's population had been slowly recovering, and by 5500 BCE had recovered to the levels of the Ice Age. Certainly human hunting of the animals had continued in this period, but it was only at this time that human societies began to take a serious interest in harvesting uurung meat.

Even fairly early in the Archaic Period, the wild true uurung (Hemiauchenia macrocephala petsiroensis) was prized for both its meat and its wool. Its fluffy pelage, while not yet as long or as thick as that of some of its domesticated descendants or its cousin the alpaca, was still useful to the people of the mountains and the foothills of the Alinta Mountains. Even in the lowlands and deserts, so hot during the day, the nights at certain times of year could be fairly cold. It was common practice, every two years or so, to drive herds of the animals into funnel-shaped corrals or mountain gorges, cut off their fur, and then set them free to be shorn again another day.

To a lesser extent, hunters sought out the preferred grazing places of the uurung, taking care to slaughter only as many as they needed to eat, and leaving the rest to keep the population growing. By 4000 BCE, semi-nomadic settlements had gained the habit of settling down near these areas of high uurung population density, and soon it became common practice to capture and tame crias to be raised close to home, ultimately to be slaughtered once they reached adulthood. Another 500 years or so passed until entire small herds were being tamed in this fashion, and true domestication of the uurung began in earnest.

It is thus around 3500 BCE that the uurung was domesticated in Columbia for the first time, roughly in the same period as the camel in Arabia and the glama in Madeira. In the chilly mountains and foothills of the Duuye Range [4], human settlements blossomed into a new period of growth as corrals of domesticated uurung sprung up all around the highlands. Due in part to the climate, which was hospitable for the animals, and due to the displacement of hunter-gatherer groups by the increasingly more populous uurung-herders, the range of uurung domestication spread rapidly up the length of the Alinta Mountains. By 2200 BCE, domesticated uurung were grazing near the shores of the Great Bitter Lake [5], and by 1400 BCE had reached the Tuuwaya Desert and the eastern end of the Nehwian Mountains [6].

Interestingly enough, a fluke of ecology would give the first uurung-herders of Petsiroò an unexpected tag-along.

Part of the population growth of the uurung after the end of the Ice Age was owed to the extinction of almost all of the large carnivores that preyed on the uurung, such as the American lion and Smilodon. Although crias could still fall victim to surprise attacks from mountain lions or wolves, adult uurung no longer had any natural enemies. Most Columbian predators soon learned to avoid uurung herds, as an angered adult uurung is fully capable of killing even the most persistent of carnivores, owing to its considerable size.

Another large ungulate was found in the true uurung's range - the bighorn sheep, Ovis canadiensis canadiensis. Although not terribly flighty, and somewhat social animals, bighorn sheep (who share the same genus as the mouflon, the ancestor of the Eurasian sheep) have a fairly poorly-crystallized social hierarchy. Every mating season, competing males assert their dominance in their famous head-butting matches, but there is no such thing in a bighorn herd as a dominant male. If it weren't for the species' unique relationship with the uurung, this obstacle may very well have prevented the domestication of the sheep in Columbia.

While sporting a formidable rack of horns, the bighorn sheep is small enough not to enjoy the same lack of serious predators as the uurung. Bighorn lambs are especially vulnerable, but even adult rams aren't entirely immune. Bighorn sheep herds have since learned to stick near uurung herds, often intermingling directly during the wetter seasons when food is at its most plentiful. Thus, when domesticated herds of uurung began to make their home in or near human settlements, the sheep, who had begun to treat the camelids almost as leaders of the herd, followed after them.

By 1400 BCE, the Columbian sheep joined the uurung as the second large, mammalian domesticate of Columbia, and the third (or fourth) of Hesperidia.

Past the Tuuwaya Desert again, domestication came more slowly. The need to harvest uurung meat didn't arise as early as it did in Petsiroò, as Nuuyoo had a well-established set of crops which fed its population with general reliability. In fact, it was these crops that would ultimately lead to the independent domestication of the uurung in Nuuyoo, as the abundant new plant matter in the fields of the region proved appealing to juvenile paixaay. Although initially it was more common simply to kill the intrusive uurung for their meat, later on a process of capturing and taming similar to that in Petsiroò would catch on. By around 3000 BCE, a half of a millennium after the true uurung, the paixaay joined its cousin among the ranks of Columbian domesticates.

Domestication of the paixaay spread more slowly, but by 1400 CE, it had spread into all but the most humid areas of Nuuyoo, and was expanding in the direction of the Tuuwaya. Here, as trade routes converged and the two breeds of uurung met, the future of Hemiauchenia and Columbian society would change forever...

nK8tIOl.png

The spread of the twin breeds of domesticated uurung, as of 1400 BCE at the beginning of the Great Columbian Synthesis.

--------------------------------------------------------​

[1] - That is, any animal over a hundred pounds in weight. Some megafauna survived the extinction, of course, such as bison, pronghorn antelopes, bears, moose... and, of course, uurung and human beings.
[2] - The Mexican portions of what we'd identify as Mesoamerica, sans the Yucatan.
[3] - A general term for the series of deserts separating the American Southwest and Mesoamerica.
[4] - The Sangre de Cristo Range.
[5] - The Great Salt Lake; not to be confused with the OTL Egyptian lake of the same name, which will come to be called something else ITTL.
[6] - The Sierra Nevada.

Last edited:
Another 500 years or so passed until entire small herds are being tamed in this fashion, and true domestication of the uurung began in earnest.

I think you mean "were" here.

Thus, when domesticated herds of uurung began to make their home in or near human settlements, the sheep, upon whom the camelids have imprinted as something like the leaders of the herd, followed.

Do you mean "the sheep, who had imprinted upon the camelids as something like the leaders of the herd, followed"?

Domestication of the paixaay spread more slowly, but by 1400 CE, it had encompassed all but the most humid areas of Nuuyoo, and was spreading in the direction of the Tuuwaya.

The bolded seems a little awkwardly worded; perhaps something like, "in all but the most humid areas of Nuuyoo herders tended their flocks, even as domestic paixaay spread in the direction of the Tuuwaya"?

You can tell I like it because I'm taking the time to point out minor errors like that ;) I don't have any substantive comments to make owing to my general unfamiliarity with American prehistory and domestication, but on the whole it was an excellent update with very good writing.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
I think you mean "were" here.

Do you mean "the sheep, who had imprinted upon the camelids as something like the leaders of the herd, followed"?

The bolded seems a little awkwardly worded; perhaps something like, "in all but the most humid areas of Nuuyoo herders tended their flocks, even as domestic paixaay spread in the direction of the Tuuwaya"?

You can tell I like it because I'm taking the time to point out minor errors like that ;) I don't have any substantive comments to make owing to my general unfamiliarity with American prehistory and domestication, but on the whole it was an excellent update with very good writing.

Thank you for pointing out the errors. :) I'll fix up the wording in a moment.

Interesting! The domestication of bighorn sheep in addition to llamas is a nice touch.

I think that sheep may never be bred for their wool on this continent until after contact, if wild uurung are already such good wool providers.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Interesting! The domestication of bighorn sheep in addition to llamas is a nice touch.

I think that sheep may never be bred for their wool on this continent until after contact, if wild uurung are already such good wool providers.

Thanks! I thought it might be a bit much, but uurung don't do well in humid areas (and I was inspired when I read about OTL llamas guarding herds of sheep). I think sheep may adapt a bit more easily.

The sheep is likely to remain a meat animal, but I could think of other uses for it in the future.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
So, the update concerning the matter is not coming in the immediate future, but I'm doing some research into what diseases may develop in TTL's Columbia. I have a few good ideas already, but I need to keep looking into it so that I don't accidentally slip something in that only arrived after Columbus.

With that in mind, exactly what diseases/potential diseases were knocking around in the Americas before contact with Europe? In particular, I'd like to know if the genus Mycobacterium was present at all, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the Internet...

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Here's a few ideas on the matter thus far:

Swelling fever: A breed of particularly nasty trypanosome, closely related to OTL's Chagas disease. Chagas disease doesn't have an especially high fatality rate, but maybe ITTL, with larger human populations in the region, the protozoa will evolve more rapidly into a more acute form. It's interesting to think of this becoming a sort of "American malaria", a tropical disease which will kill off European visitors in droves.

Speculation aside, the disease is spread by triatomine or kissing bugs, and will be found primarily in Isthmocolumbia, Madeira, and the Caribbean (as well as, perhaps, the southern *US).

Columbian sweating sickness: (To distinguish it from the mysterious English sweating sickness which appeared in the decade before Columbus' fateful voyage.) An especially virulent form of brucellosis (although I'm not quite certain whether Brucella was present in the pre-Columbian era), transmitted at first through the feces, milk, and meat of uurung (or sheep?), and later by human contact. Entails sweating, muscle pain, and general misery. Again, IOTL the fatality rate of brucellosis in humans is not very high, but it could change.

Red pox: An orthopox of camelid origin (belonging to the camelpox strain, or something very similar) which afflicts people with a terrible fever, coughing, and the red lesions for which it is named. Like its cousin smallpox, will have a very high fatality rate in virgin populations.

Black cough: Brought on by Mycobacterium bovis, or more specifically, a Columbian subspecies, via an ovine vector. Similar in most respects to Eurasian tuberculosis (as the black cough is, in a technical sense... also just tuberculosis), and has a very high fatality rate.

All rough concepts as of the moment, but I think these are a good starting point.

Well, I'm using an orthopox called red pox in my current timeline, so you may want to tweak that one a bit.

Other than that, perhaps a parasitic leptospiral fever, acting like whooping cough?

The Babesia genus of parasites could produce a disease similar to malaria if one strain became infectious in humans.

katchen

Banned
Don't forget Rocky Mountain Spotted "tick" Fever.
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne bacterial disease that affects the cells in the lining of your blood vessels, making the vessels leak. This can eventually cause serious damage to internal organs, particularly your kidneys. Although it was first identified in the Rocky Mountains, Rocky Mountain spotted fever is most commonly found in the southeastern part of the United States. It also occurs in parts of Canada, Mexico, Central America and South America.
Early signs and symptoms of Rocky Mountain spotted fever include severe headache and high fever. A few days later, a rash usually appears on the wrists and ankles. Rocky Mountain spotted fever responds well to prompt treatment with antibiotics. If left untreated, however, the disease can cause serious complications and even death. (Mayo Clinic):eek:

Thanks for the suggestions! Epidemiology is not my specialty...

The good thing about viruses and bacteria is that they are very fast evolving, and with the biological butterflies you've set in motion, you can handwave a lot about a specific species of pathogen for your TL's diseases. If members of the same family have produced infectious diseases, then it's within the bounds of reason that a species created by your butterflies can cause disease, and spread in a similar manner (though relatedness is not a good indicator of lethality-take Variola major and Alastrim, for example).

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
The good thing about viruses and bacteria is that they are very fast evolving, and with the biological butterflies you've set in motion, you can handwave a lot about a specific species of pathogen for your TL's diseases. If members of the same family have produced infectious diseases, then it's within the bounds of reason that a species created by your butterflies can cause disease, and spread in a similar manner (though relatedness is not a good indicator of lethality-take Variola major and Alastrim, for example).

Well, whatever I may decide to go with, the Americas will have an exceptionally varied and nasty host of pathogens for Chris Columbus and his buddies to carry back home.

Well, whatever I may decide to go with, the Americas will have an exceptionally varied and nasty host of pathogens for Chris Columbus and his buddies to carry back home.

All right, you should probably educate yourself on immunology. I'm afraid I'm a little too sleep-deprived right now to give you a rundown, but I will say this: It's a common error to believe that people can become 'immune' to any disease. It's not quite true.

With measles and smallpox, if you're infected once, that's it-you're immune.

For some viral diseases like flu and yellow fever, and parasitic diseases like malaria, you only become immune on a strain by strain basis. Being infected by one strain means you can still be infected by another.

For bacterial diseases, you cannot become immune to. You can gain temporary immunity to some bacteria, like tuberculosis and whooping cough, but that tends to fade. These are all things to keep in mind.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
All right, you should probably educate yourself on immunology. I'm afraid I'm a little too sleep-deprived right now to give you a rundown, but I will say this: It's a common error to believe that people can become 'immune' to any disease. It's not quite true.

With measles and smallpox, if you're infected once, that's it-you're immune.

For some viral diseases like flu and yellow fever, and parasitic diseases like malaria, you only become immune on a strain by strain basis. Being infected by one strain means you can still be infected by another.

For bacterial diseases, you cannot become immune to. You can gain temporary immunity to some bacteria, like tuberculosis and whooping cough, but that tends to fade. These are all things to keep in mind.

Thanks for the pointers! :)

ingemann

Banned
While the lack of domestic animal played a big part in the decimation of Native Americans through diseases, it should not be forgotten that there was also other reason why they was so hard hit; primary that the Amerindian gene pool was quite shallow, more or less the entire Amerindian population was descendent of 70 people who entered America 10 000 years ago.

Another big problem is the small range of the domesticated animals here, diseases who cross over to humans, will have a tendency to burn through the human population before burning out. While this will give some increased immunity, the Amerindian will still be less than able to deal with such diseases than Europeans, and the stable diseases which do develop will be barely more deadly to Eurasians than to Amerindians.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Unfortunate, but true - the Eurasian diseases will still take a catastrophic toll on the peoples of Hesperidia ITTL, and there's not much I can do to prevent that. Hopefully the toll will be lesser than OTL, but at least 3/4ths of the natives are still going to die, and probably more than that.

You're right that diseases are more likely to simply burn out after a fairly short time; the ones I've listed are just the ones that exist at European contact. There's doubtless some mysterious, deadly diseases which came and burned out before anyone could figure out what was causing them, just like what happened in Eurasia in reality. :)

the Amerindian gene pool was quite shallow, more or less the entire Amerindian population was descendent of 70 people who entered America 10 000 years ago.

And, genetically, all humans appear to be descended from one female from 100,000 years ago, but while we are a relatively inbred species I wouldn't call our gene pool shallow. Considering that when Native tribes merged together they survived the onslaught of epidemics, there is evidence that there is enough genetic variability among Native Americans to provide some defense against disease. I'd say socioeconomic factors were as or more important than genetic ones in determining survival in the face of disease-for example, the Cherokee were under stress and unable to get rest while being forced away from their home, and thus died of smallpox in high numbers during the Trail of Tears.