La República de Oro: A History of the Californian Republic

I also like the flag, in particular the fact that it apparently signifies that the different races (white, Latino, native) are equal (and also because it looks really cool :p). Hopefully the latinoes and natives will be better off than OTL. On that note, considering the location and anti slavery stance of California, I can see a future civil rights movement equivalent in California being about getting equal rights for Chinese and other Asians rather than blacks! :eek:

Thanks! I wanted to make something that still had slight influences from the Californian flag yet at the same time was something slightly different.

Even though there could be seen that there is a more equal view based on the flag doesn't necessary mean the future people of California will follow that mentality. This will become more apparent when businessmen what to use possible Native Land to get at certain resources.

The Unified Bloc of The City marches on!

excellent-4689_preview.png

From a song we learned in 4th grade:

The Banks of Sacramento

Traditional - Lyrics from Iron Men & Wooden Ships, by Frank Shay

Sing and heave, and heave and sing,
To me hoodah! To my hoodah!
Heave and make the handspikes spring.
To me hoodah! To me hoodah!

And it's blow, boys, blow,
For Californi-o.
For there's plenty of gold,
So I've been told,
On the banks of the Sacramento.

From Limehouse Docks to Sydney Heads,
Was never more than seventy days.

For Californi-o.
So I've been told,

We cracked it on, on a big skiute,
And the old man felt like a swell galoot.

For Californi-o.
So I've been told,

From a song we learned in 4th grade:

The Banks of Sacramento

Traditional - Lyrics from Iron Men & Wooden Ships, by Frank Shay

Sing and heave, and heave and sing,
Heave and make the handspikes spring.

For Californi-o.
So I've been told,

From Limehouse Docks to Sydney Heads,
Was never more than seventy days.

For Californi-o.
So I've been told,

We cracked it on, on a big skiute,
And the old man felt like a swell galoot.

For Californi-o.
So I've been told,

Holy. Madre. De. Dios.

I am so making a San Francisco version.

Nice to see that you too have gotten into the spirit of California!

Also the next update should be coming up within the next hour - I'm not sure how well it is as it's going over Political/Governmental stuff which I'm not that strong on but It does need to be mentioned.

As Previously said this is just a short quick update concerning the governmental creation of California. As I said when I first did this section I am open to any changes concerning the practice of building a government as I am personally now entirely that knowledgeable on this area. It is an attempt to cover the basics to allow for a basic understanding on how the Californian Government and Nation works.

Introduction #2: Creating a Nation

The Provisional Government

With the old region of Alta California now a part of the newly independent Republic of California, George Marshall and the members of the Californian Affairs Committee now had to create a working form of Government. While the discussions were taking place the nation of California was placed under a Provisional Government which would last until the First Californian election which was planned to take place as quickly as they could feasible make it. They did have an easier time by using a similar model to that of the United States and even some aspects of the Texan constitution but by adding sections applicable to California.

Marshall and the rest of the members promptly met on August 1st. Marshall wanted firstly to divide the land of California into administrative states [1]. He stated that he wanted them to be based upon population and the economic considerations [2]. Michael Harris, founder of Harris’ Fort pushed for the division to be along the Bay Area, Central Valley, Monterey coastal region and a Southern Californian region. His proposal was countered with one Marshall who suggested that the Central Valley would be split into two zones to accommodate the separate industries growing, that of Gold and Agricultural which was growing in their respective areas. Harris conceded his view to that of Marshall although he agreed upon Marshall’s opinion on a separate capital away from the growing population centres of California. Marshall wanted separation of national politics from that of regional ones, he was concerned with factors relating to a specific city would take control of the entire nation. This was related to what he learned with the origin of the rebellion, with the regional politics determined by the need of those in the settlements which hurt those away from the urban areas. In the end Harris’ proposal was accepted [3] along with the capital remaining at Monterey, which was also going to house the future governmental buildings.

The decision on the states was followed by the actual discussion of how the politics of the Government was to be set up. The main focus being on Congress, Heads of Government [4] and how voting world work out. It would take a similar route to that of the United States, with the heads of Government following a president and vice presidents as well as specific heads of departments such as the Head of Foreign Affairs and Head of Justice. This also included the two layered congress which was considered to be in place, one for two representatives of the states as well as one from the territories [5] and another one which was based on population only on the states themselves. The accepted Four States proposal for the lower house which was based on population gave the states a base number of 3 representatives plus an extra 1 for settlements over the population of 1000, for the lower house this gave a total of 15 representatives. For the upper house there would be a total of 8. They attempted to separate the powers of the two houses similar to that of the US. With the Upper house dealing with more external and inter-state issues while the Lower house has more of a focus on the issues effecting Californian people and other internal policies. The Constitution also pushed for a revision of every 10 years to update the California due to population influxes. This was something Marshall and many other members of the first provisional government were keen on addressing as they collectively saw that the population increase was essential to Californians survival. The agreed upon the Californian Constitution was put in place to make the formal announcement of the structure of the Californian Government.

Following is a sample of the major points of the constitution regarding the collective powers of Congress:

i. - To declare war
ii. - To levy and collect taxes as well as to deal with debt and tariffs
iii. - To provide an adequate Army and Navy to defend the nation
iv. - To regulate commerce
v. - To establish the correct infrastructure such as roads and postal services
vi. - To establish laws and practices to fairly govern the nation and to establish practices to deal with the criminal class
vii. - To establish a militia to deal with invasions or insurrections
viii. - To establish a good practice to maintain orderly immigration into the nation.
ix. -To establish and maintain the well-being of the states and territories of the Republic of California.

The creation of the Republic’s Government is really seen as a mongrel copy of the nations of North America, taking legislation and slightly adapting it. They wanted to quickly create a form of working government, fearing If they took too long other nations or factions within the Republic would seek to destroy it before it had even fully begun. This also meant there were various factors in place marked under, provisional placement which would be adapted over the course of the republics history. They also set up several basic economic decisions such as the Californian Currency or Californian Oro (using the Spanish word for gold as the name of their currency) as well as several plans concerning postal and communication services of California. A lot of the early decisions were apart from the basic concepts of the Californian government was created so that it would be decided further along the line, with such ideas which would change the constitution to be ratified by both the Upper and Lower houses of Congress.

The next governmental debate which can be more heated than the debates during the writing of the constitution was that on the route that California would take. A few wanted to become a protectorate of Britain ,such as Pico, while others wanted to become a protectorate of America and even more extreme members wanted to become annexed by that of the United States. Marshall and several of the main members waved the more extremist opinions away however there was more division between the less extreme ones. Marshall knew that California couldn’t survive alone and that they would require assistances to be effective. Fearing a split in the Provisional Government, seeking support from both sides. He hoped that Britain would help to be a counter to the United States if they decided that California’s position looked tentative enough to take. This was pinned on the situation between the two countries over the Oregon region to the north of California. Marshall requested Isaac Graham to make his way to the United States to both negotiate the first steps in establishing a relationship. This would be ratified in early December of 1841 when Graham returned with John C. Frémont [6] to Monterey. Frémont helped to establish the first international relationship of California by laying the base for the United States Embassy in Monterey. Marshall also made contact to the United Kingdom ambassador to Mexico, Richard Pakenham and United States, Sir Henry Fox in hopes of gaining some form of relationship between the two nations, with the United Kingdom also starting to set up a diplomatic house in Monterey.

Apart from the diplomatic occurrences happening the last few months of 1841 also had the first election process for the President of the Republic of California take place. Although the constitution allowed the for final six months of a presidents election to be used for an election the Provisional Government attempted to quickly push through the first election in an attempt to get the nation running quickly. George Marshall stood forward as candidate for president, while reluctantly Michael Harris stood against him. Harris was effectively pushed into the situation along grounds of a fair election. That Marshall required someone to run against him if the election could be seen as fair. The reluctant nature of Harris to willingly become president can be clearly seen by his lack of enthusiasm during the election, with only his founding settlement of Harris’ Fort voting for Harris [7]. On December 1st George Marshall was unsurprisingly elected the First President of the Republic of California, and inaugurated on January 1st 1842. His victory didn’t come as a massive shock as he was considered one of the founding fathers of the Republic.

GWWl0Ol.png

Map showing the division of the Republic of California

Author's Comments

[1] - The term District is used to define the region. They are not entirely like the states in nations such as the US as they are more centralised, however they do have some degree of autonomy.

[2] - Marshall was attempting to define when he meant by a District.

[3] - This created the Districts, Bahia, Salina, Serria Nevada and Mojave

[4] - This just to simulate the covering of basics due to my lack of Knowledge

[5] - Although the territories had a representative they didn't have any real power.

[6] - With Californian's independence Frémont was chosen by his father-in-law to negotiated with California. Frémont's skills as an explorer and Thomas Benton (Frémont's Father-in-Law) influenced him to pursue politics.

[7] - Due to the lack of actual politicians the first election of the Republic of California was done mostly by the president himself, which was followed by the appointing of regional representatives and senators. This would change following the second election four years later.

Last edited:
Looking good so far! :D

With a smaller nation, I'm wondering if the states of California will be less autonomous by the present day than OTL US states.

Looking good so far! :D

With a smaller nation, I'm wondering if the states of California will be less autonomous by the present day than OTL US states.

Thanks once again.

The "States" (for lack of a better word) are will change in size once the population grows. To you statement I would assume so. Unlike that of the US these don't really have the the notion of the state nationality which (correct me if I'm wrong) that the US had in the present day. The states in the Californian Republic are really only administrative zones.

Perhaps Province, District, or Region, would suit better if not wanting to provide a sense of the USAmerican or Mexican definitions?