In this country , it is good to kill an admiral from time to time

Spain is doomed as for the Netherlands I don't think they would have taken the risk of opposing France when they no longuer have the Spanish netherlands as a buffer. Hell Englnd can't really threaten France anymore outside of retaking South England it does not have the navy to protect it's colonies. I am not worried about the rest of the coalition Spain armies are worthless, Portugual navy isn't what it was once, and the dutch navy will easily be blockaded.

Doomed might be a severe world , as France will fight on three fronts , one of it which can be divided in two fronts in itself : the Rhineland and the Netherlands . The only reason many allies accepted this coalition was the opinion that once Louis XIV was dead , the rest of the nobles were going to fight each other for the position . Whether they are right or not , is , of course , more that I'm going to say at this point :D ...
The French navy has a large superiority over its opponents , but it has been reduced by 1715 , as the count of Pontchartrain died that year and his replacement was the Admiral of France , the count of Toulouse , who hasn't had the time to cope with the global situation at the moment . Their only (worthy ) opponent is the Dutch Navy , but Dunkirk remains at its full poptential in this timeline ...

A new Era ( Year 1715 )

299px-Joseph_I_Holy_Roman_Emperor_002.jpg
Joseph I , Holy Roman Emperor

The death of Louis XIV in 1715 was a schock for Europe . Few rulers in world history had commemorated themselves in as grand a manner as Louis. Louis used court ritual and the arts to validate and augment his control over France. With his support, Colbert has established from the beginning of Louis's personal reign a centralised and institutionalised system for creating and perpetuating the royal image. The King was thus portrayed largely in majesty or at war, notably against Spain. This portrayal of the monarch was to be found in numerous media of artistic expression, such as painting, sculpture, theatre, dance, music, and the almanacs that diffused royal propaganda to the population at large .

But Queen Anne of England and Leopold I of the Holy Roman Empire had also left the world in 1714 and 1712 , to be replaced by George I , elector of Hanover , and Joseph I , Archduke of Austria . The two men had witnessed the defeat of their predecessors in the war of Spanish Succession and began to prepare in 1715 their revenge against France .

Their preparations were not ready by the time of the Sun King's death but the Grand Alliance believed they had a golden opportunity to reclaim their lost territories . In September , the mobilisation of the armies began but faced huge difficulties from the start . First , it had been thought that they would have been able to attack from three fronts . But all the generals in Spain who had been on Louis XIV's payroll refused to fight and instead began to defect to the French army . By December , the Spanish armies had not set a foot into French territory , and with the presence of Marshal of France Camille D'Hostun on the other side of the Pyrennées with 30 000 men , many predicted they would not set a foot in 1716 either .

The Holy Roman Empire faced many difficulties from the start , beginning by the heavy reluctance of the Electors of Bavaria and Cologne to enter the war . Thanks to Louis, the Electors of Bavaria and Cologne had been restored to their pre-war status and returned their lands in 1708 , so their loyalty wasn't really to the Habsburgs . The situation was better in the South , where the neutality of Savoy and the hate of the Ottoman Empire were able to hasten the orders for deployment .

The forces of England and the Netherlands were able to mobilise quickly , and in the case of England it was a major success . James III had concentrated his elite troops around London , and when Marlborough launched his assault in the west , the Catholic forces began to collapse . This series of defeat in the end of 1715 were seen by the French commanders with worry , as some of them , like the Duke of Berwick , were born in the British Isles and didn't enjoy the Protestant forces's advances on Southern England .
Things were not going so well in the Netherlands , as Philip VII had given the order to his generals to focus on the East first .Leaded by Marshal De Villars , 100 000 men crossed the Rhine and captured the fortress of Philipsburg again . On the north , Berwick won a great victory at Antwerp forcing the Dutch forces to retreat .

In the north they were a few skirmishes , but Sweden , Poland and Russia were forced to cope with the fact that the weather was too bad to campaign in this season . The southern front between Russia and the Ottoman Empire saw little action too , as the mobilisation of the two powers was slow . The Habsburgs forces were able to attack the Ottoman Empire in October , and gradually push the unprepared forces of the Sultan across Hungary . At the end of the year, the Imperial forces had managed to regain half their losses of the previous war , no doubt helped by the Catholics of the country , who really hated the Muslims .

But Philip VII had seen the financial situation of France and knew his kingdom was not in good shape enough to support a long war .( For that matter neither were his enemies . ) At first, his plans had been to decrease taxation and dismiss 25,000 soldiers. With the war coming , it proved impossible . But the inquisitorial measures which he had already begun against the financiers led to disturbances, notably in the province of Brittany , where a rebellion known as the Pontcallec Conspiracy unfolded. In the end of 1715 , the King began to countenance the risky operations of the banker John Law and authorised in December the plan of Chef d'escadre Duguay-Trouin to attack Rio de Janeiro . The corsairs began to arm their ships , and the French fleet prepared for battle again . A total of 320 000 French , English , Scottish Irish soldiers were mobilised , in the hope of dealing the Grand Alliance a crushing blow in 1716 .

299px-Joseph_I_Holy_Roman_Emperor_002.jpg

France need to reform it's economy and taxation system the peoples can't shoulder all the effort while some are exhanted of any taxes like the church and the nobility.

Hi!

Good update but could you please clarify the members of the alliances and the strategy of etch other ?

- France : all of France sustain the duke of Orleans? or there are division upon nobles ?
- Who are the allies of France (apart of the Ottomans)?
- What are the goals of the great alliance? put the King of Spain on the french throne? I don't believe it... none in Europe will wish to have a France-Spain superstate...

I hope this war will provoke a sort of reform in the french finances (not a catastrophic one :rolleyes:) especially if all the nobles are coallised and bounded together in the war effort.

Please continue... I am so impatient of the suite... :cool:

Last edited:
Hi!

Good update but could you please clarify the members of the alliances and the strategy of etch other ?

- France : all of France sustain the duke of Orleans? or there are division upon nobles ?
- Who are the allies of France (apart of the Ottomans)?
- What are the goals of the great alliance? put the King of Spain on the french throne? I don't believe it... none in Europe will wish to have a France-Spain superstate...

I hope this war will provoke a sort of reform in the french finances (not a catastrophic one :rolleyes:) especially if all the nobles are coallised and bounded together in the war effort.

Please continue... I am so impatient of the suite... :cool:

- Not all of France supported the duke of Orléans , but those who didn't have been exiled ( with their lands seized to finance the war effort :D)

-Southern England and Sweden are allied to France . Note that there isn't a formal treaty which bound them together , it's only a matter of circumstances as the Grand Alliance declared war upon them all .

- Only Spain wish to replace Philip on the throne . The other states wanted to reconquer what they lost on the previous war (or in the case of England , the war before ), and more important , break the possibility of a French-Spanish alliance on the continent . For the moment , they have perfectly achieved the second point .

-Reforms are already beginning in France . As Philip has not to call the Parliament of Paris ITTL , the power of the king has not been diminished , and Philip will be able to make the Financial reforms France desesperately needs . Of course , before this , he has to win the war ...

The Last of the Stuarts ( Year 1716 )

185px-Prince_James_Francis_Edward_Stuart_by_Alexis_Simon_Belle.jpg
James III , last of the Stuarts

The war in the year 1716 began not by a titanic battle in Europe , but by a naval one on the other side of the world . At the end of 1715 , 11 ships of the line and 14 lighter ships had left St Malo under the command of former corsair Duguay-Trouin . The Dutch were aware of the plan and dispatched messengers to warn the city , but they were not taken very seriously . Various raids in the previous wars had always been repulsed , the inhabitants were sure they could fight this one too .
In spite of the Dutch warning, the French appearance in Rio's harbour on 21 April was a complete surprise. Duguay-Trouin led the squadron directly in the Bay of Rio, between the forts lining the harbour entry, and straight at ten Portuguese warships that were anchored there. The Portuguese fleet commander, admiral Gaspar da Costa, could do nothing but cut the cables in hopes of getting his ships moving. Five of the ships grounded and were destroyed by the Portuguese to prevent their capture; but five were was taken by the French . Fire from the forts, undermanned after the order to stand down, did some damage to the French fleet, inflicting 300 casualties before the ships passed out of range. After 4 days of bombardments, the French landed 3,400 men to attack the city. The governor of Rio had fortified the city after French attacks in previous wars , but very feebly commanded the defense, which buckled under the French bombardment. After a council on 23 April in which the governor ordered the city's defenders to hold the line, militia began deserting that night, after which there began a general flight from the city that included the governor. Over the next few days, the French gained control of all of the bay's strong points, but the city's gold supply eluded them . Warned that reinforcements were on their way, Duguay-Trouin threatened the governor with the destruction of the city's defences if a ransom was not paid, which the governor agreed to do. When the French left the city, it was with loot of estimated at 6 million pounds .
The fleet arrived back unmolested in France in August 1713. The expedition was a military success for the French, and a financial success for its investors. The French Navy had proven it was still capable to strike at large distances. This action would trouble Franco-Portuguese relations for many years to come .

In Europe , the collapse of Southern England became apparent to all as the new season of campaign began . Not only James III's soldiers had to fight the Protestant soldiers , they had to fight their own countrymen , who convinced themselves that the House of Hanover's rule was more just and less cruel than the Stuart's . Despite three Irish regiments , 15 000 French soldiers and various mercenaries hired by James , the military situation became catastrophic . On August , Philip VII gave the order to the French navy to burn all the dockyards of Southern England and to seize the remnants of the Stuart fleet , convinced by now that the fate of England was now decided . On October , only London remained , besieged by Marlborough's army . The superiority of the French navy prevented the Protestants forces to launch an overwhelming assault , but as dozens of mortars and cannons were brought in front of London , the warships retreated and the assault began . For five days , the soldiers remaining managed to endure the assault with a courage and a bravery that gave them the respect of their enemies . The famous " Merde ! " shouted by an highlander refusing to surrender against an entire regiment entered in the legend . But in the end , it didn't matter . The walls were breached , and even the King's stupid cavalry charge in the centre of London didn't turn the tide . On October 15 , Patrick Sarsfield , Earl of Lucan , and only remaining commander alive surrendered to the Earl of Marlborough . For the first time since 1690 , the British Isles were unified again .

Contrary to this stunning victory , the Spanish front was a disaster . 90 000 Spanish soldiers faced 40 000 French . The logic would have been for the Spanish to attack and the French to defend . It was the contrary which happened , as Camille D'Hostun made war in Catalognia . The inhabitants , already furious because of the previous war , were armed by the French and began their own insurrection against the king of Spain .At the same time , the Levant fleet under Admiral De la Galissonière seized Minorca , leaving the Spanish coast open to naval attacks . At the end of the year , Catalognia was ravaged and the Spanish armies were bogged down by dozens of revolts .

In the East , Villars and Berwick continued a slow but methodical advance . On June , the French armies had regained all the territory lost . On July , 70 000 soldiers invaded the Imperial part of the Rhineland , while 80 000 soldiers invaded Baden , forcing Joseph I to divert more troops from the Ottoman front . At the end of the campaign , the two sides had reverted to the place they were in 1708 and the members of the Grand Alliance began to groan the Emperor had involved them once again in a stupid and reckless war .

If the French had success on their main fronts , Ahmed III and the Ottomans faced a difficult situation . His troops facing the Habsburgs had retreated to Belgrade , the army he sent against Russia was pretty much devastated in July due to a combination of poor leadership , corruption and supplies difficulties , leaving the Sultan to deal with the certainty of an imminent defeat . In September , Ahmed III " the Snake " as he was nicknamed by various diplomats , proved once more his elasticity in the matters of honor and stabbed in the back his allies , signing peace with Russia and the Habsburgs . The treaty of Vienna made the frontier go back to the status quo ante bellum before the war of the Spanish Succession , save Morea . The treaty of Kiev gave everything north of the old frontier to Peter I , forcing the Ottoman Empire to abandon Crimea .

If a country was more furious than France by this betrayal , it was Sweden . Fortunately , Charles XII won in 1716 four major victories against Poland and Russia , leaving the Northern front under Swedish domination . The last battle , fought in Lithuania , proved that the Swedish army , outnumbered at each battle , was more professional , more trained and had more intelligent generals , a fact which permits to win whatever the odds . Already at the end of 1716 , Poland began diplomatic openings , and Russia was not far from it , as Peter I estimated the Russian army was not fully ready to take Ingria once more .

The end of the year proved in Europe that this war should come to an end , and quickly . If the defeat of the Ottoman Emire and Southern England had given hope to the Grand Alliance , it was clear that France was undefeated on the battlefield , that the French navy dominated the seas and that the coffers of the Grand Alliance were empty once more . Against the advise of many Kings and advisors , Joseph I decided a new counterattack for the next year . It seemed the issue of the war would be decided in Germany ....

185px-Prince_James_Francis_Edward_Stuart_by_Alexis_Simon_Belle.jpg

I vote for a French Ibiza!
and Catalonia !
and Navarre !
and Sardaigne !
and all North America!
and all India !
and, uh... I was sleeping and I had a strange dream... :rolleyes:

Only Spain wish to replace Philip on the throne.

Not to shout out ASB, but this is totally out of character for the original Philip/Felipe V. He was not the swiftest bulb in the French house and more than a little mentally unstable, but in OTL he was totally devoted (almost slavishly so) to his family, both his original one, and the new one he founded.

The only way I can see this happening is if (1) his ATL second wife is a complete controlling psycho bitch (granting that Maria Lousia's health is also bad in TTL and she dies young as OTL) or (2) his mental health issues progress even further into full blown psychosis.

...plus if this Philip/Felipe V is anything like his decidedly not gay (quite rare for a Bourbon of this period) OTL counterpart he's got a whole football team full of sons and daughters. Some kind of throne swap deal among his children could have been worked with the French court.

Not to shout out ASB, but this is totally out of character for the original Philip/Felipe V. He was not the swiftest bulb in the French house and more than a little mentally unstable, but in OTL he was totally devoted (almost slavishly so) to his family, both his original one, and the new one he founded.

The only way I can see this happening is if (1) his ATL second wife is a complete controlling psycho bitch (granting that Maria Lousia's health is also bad in TTL and she dies young as OTL) or (2) his mental health issues progress even further into full blown psychosis.

...plus if this Philip/Felipe V is anything like his decidedly not gay (quite rare for a Bourbon of this period) OTL counterpart he's got a whole football team full of sons and daughters. Some kind of throne swap deal among his children could have been worked with the French court.

You're perfectly right , but Philip V was not OTL the legitimate king of France , and the relations in OTL with the duke of Orléans were not so good either . Of course by 1716 , Philip V has realised he made a grave mistake in declaring war ( especially because now the chance that France will help him to do a reconquest of Naples is virtually nil ) . Unlike other countries (like England ) diplomatic relations have not been completely severed ,and Philip VII has decided ( for now ) to not attack Spanish territories in the West Indies . But Philip V's mental state is not good and Spain needs a decisive king , not one who is (effectively ) in a full psychosis .

At that time the king is not married (Maria Louisa died like OTL ) , and the death of his wife hasn't provided any stability . He has only two sons ITTL , Louis and Ferdinand , Philippe Pierre and Philippe Pierre Gabriel didn't survive childhood .

The end of the war (Year 1717 )

Battle of Frankfurt.jpg

If the war was supposed to continue in the year 1717 , many generals and Kings didn't seem to be aware of it . Some soldiers , especially in England and Sweden , didn't even leave their winter campments , sure by now all that remained was the unending bickering of the diplomats . On that point , they were quite wrong as the Holy Roman Empire and France still fought each other on the battlefield . Despite the boasting claims of Joseph I , who affirmed he was going to retake the Rhineland with his new offensive , the reality was that the French Army had everything under its control west of the Rhine . At the beginning of May , a powerful army leaded by Marshal De Villars besieged Frankfurt . As the news reached Vienna , orders were given to the Count of Mercy, commander of the Imperial army to stop the French siege and force them to retreat over the Rhine . On June 5 1717 , the two armies faced each other near Frankfurt .

It was clear , by the size of the two armies , that the battle was going to enter in the history . 145 000 Imperial soldiers faced 115 000 French , each side having gathered nearly a hundred pieces of the artillery . At 10 a.m. the Imperial army began its attack , but the French , on a defensive position , held their ground . The day passed , as French and German killed each other on the battlefield . If two charges from the Imperial forces and one French managed to inflict huge losses , each time the mortars and cannons transformed the charge in a meatgrinder , stopping the charges dead in their tracks . At 5 p.m. , Mercy launched what he thought to be the last attack of the day , engaging all his remaining forces . If on his left and right the Imperial army suffered heavy casualties for no gain , the centre of the French army began to break . It was at this moment that Villars gave the order to charge , and leaded all his remaining cavalry and infantry in a desesperate attempt to save the day . The charge was deadly , as only one French in three who charged survived to live another day , but the center of the Imperial army was annihilated . Seeing no alternative ,Mercy withdrawed with the remnants of his army . Only the death of Villars in his last charge prevented the French to finish the Imperial army which disintegrated in a rout in a matter of hours .

The battle of Frankfurt was the battle which ended the war . Approximately 32 000 French were killed or wounded , the number was close to 38 000 for the Austrian side . 15 000 soldiers of the Imperial army were made prisoners , and half the Imperial artillery was lost on the battlefield . Five days later , Frankfurt surrendered , effectively ending the conflict . If a few sieges , raids and shows of force continued during the rest of the year , it became evident that the war had come to an end .

Convinced by now that nothing could stop the French to enact their retribution over them , the Grand Alliance demanded peace . The Netherlands were the first to ask for it , quickly followed by England , Portugal , Denmark , Spain and finally the Habsburgs . On October 4 1717 , diplomats arrived to Berlin for the negociations which would seal the fate of Europe .

Battle of Frankfurt.jpg

Hooray! A new French Victory!

There is a reason to have the peace conference in Berlin?
I also find quite to easy the french victory.... but I do not complain...

I propose that the Romanian Principalities (Transylvania, Moldavia and Valachia) to be given to Austria as compensation but with special autonomy... :D

Hooray! A new French Victory!

There is a reason to have the peace conference in Berlin?
I also find quite to easy the french victory.... but I do not complain...

I propose that the Romanian Principalities (Transylvania, Moldavia and Valachia) to be given to Austria as compensation but with special autonomy... :D

Prussia was neutral in the conflict , so they proposed to host the conference . The French victory wasn't so easy , and there are a lot of people ( even the King ) tired of war . They lost their best general ( who was given the burial of a hero) and they have conquered all they could .

France will not have its word to say in the case of the former territories of the Ottoman Empire , because they left their side before the end . Anyway , no one has a particular desire to support the Ottomans at the moment .

Shadows of Victory : the treaty of Berlin

Europe 1718.png

When the diplomats met in Berlin in October 1717 , Europe stopped to breath and waited to know what the demands of Philip VII were going to be . With a great part of German territory under French control , the French king knew he could dictate whatever terms he choose , at least in theory . As a result the French diplomats asked for the frontier between France and the other countries to be the Rhine , to the horror of many German princes who held various holdings in these territories . Despite the Imperial protests , there was not a lot of things they could do , especially as a French diplomat asked if they wanted to lose Baden too . The negociations then resumed ,with the Imperial diplomats managing to give special status to different cities on the Rhine , essentially for commercial purposes .

One monarch of the Grand Alliance who wasn't in the least concerned by this was George I . As king of England , Ireland and Scotland , he was recognised by France and the rest of Europe , the end of the Stuarts leaving only one contender for the throne . Sweden managed to retain all its territories during the war , and as a result Russia , Sweden and Poland went back to the status quo ante bellum . The Ottoman Empire was ignored . They left the war early , and the diplomats borned themselves to declare that the peace conditions were left to Austria and Russia .

Spain and the Netherlands were much different cases . If Philip VII was ready to pardon his cousin in Spain , he wasn't ready to forgive again the Netherlands . Spain paid the price of the peace in the form of a marriage , a large quantity of gold and silver , and Minorca . Considering that half Catalognia was in French hands at the end of the conflict , it wasn't a bad deal . The Netherlands were not Bourbons , and with their allies abandoning them ,they didn't have such a proposition . Not only the Rhine frontier affected them too , they were forced to destroy many fortresses defending the South of their country , had to pay reparations in gold , and ceded Pulicat and Nagapatam in the East Indies . The war of the French Succession , in effect , if not in fact , crushed the economy of the Netherlands .

As the war in the West Indies and North America has limited to a few raids , the situation came back to the status quo ante bellum . The European diplomats , tired of war , signed one after another the treaty on December 5 , ending half a century of wars . Given the time for the news to travel , a few corsairs and pirates continued the war until May 1718 , until they too ceased the fight .

Europe 1718.png

Hello again!

Thanks for the map! It’s quite useful but there are minor things to clarify :

- - In Italy: it seems that the Papal States have all the Tuscany.

- -Brandenburg : the eastern frontier is looking very strange

- - In Transylvania : the frontier it’s looking quite bizarre…do not take in consideration the geography, the historical situation or the ethnic one... Is the frontier between Austria and Ottoman Empire fixed?

- - In Ukraine : it seems that the Ottomans had given everything east to the Dniester river, not only Crimea…

Why only Minorca? I am so disappointed that they don't occupied Ibiza…. Or at least several colonies transferred to France ? (something less populated, like Florida or small Caribbean Islands)

Anyway, leaving apart my obsession with the French Ibiza, I am very pleased that you have not fall in the trap of union between Spain and France… I have never liked this idea… :rolleyes:

Hello again!

Thanks for the map! It’s quite useful but there are minor things to clarify :

- - In Italy: it seems that the Papal States have all the Tuscany.

- -Brandenburg : the eastern frontier is looking very strange

- - In Transylvania : the frontier it’s looking quite bizarre…do not take in consideration the geography, the historical situation or the ethnic one... Is the frontier between Austria and Ottoman Empire fixed?

- - In Ukraine : it seems that the Ottomans had given everything east to the Dniester river, not only Crimea…

Why only Minorca? I am so disappointed that they don't occupied Ibiza…. Or at least several colonies transferred to France ? (something less populated, like Florida or small Caribbean Islands)

Anyway, leaving apart my obsession with the French Ibiza, I am very pleased that you have not fall in the trap of union between Spain and France… I have never liked this idea… :rolleyes:

Most of the things you refer are because I am not good enough at making maps :eek: . I will try a second version soon . As for your points :

- The Papal States don't have all the Tuscany

- The Brandenburg frontier is those of OTL 1713 ( but making it exist on a map is more difficult than it seems )

- Transylvania has gone to the Habsburgs . But effectively , no one agrees on the frontier ( as usual :rolleyes: )

- I've made an error on the exact frontier between Russia and the Ottoman Empire , but yes Russia made huge gains .

- They didn't hold anything at the end of the war in the West Indies (except Pensacola ... and they didn't really want it ) . As for all the Balearic Islands , Philip VII didn't want to take too much territory from Spain , and the inhabitants were ready to revolt again . So they took only Minorca . Sorry for your dream about Ibiza :D !

Thanks !

Can you please add more details regarding France?
- economical situation
- social situation
- population (how big it is ITTL with all the gains and wars and famine?)
- how is the army and navy situation?
- the politics regarding the colonization (America and India)
- the protestantism : toleration or repression? (especially now when huge numbers of protestants are added in the Rhineland)

Eventual a global view on these maters for other countries (one phrase).

Please continue!