Ideal List of Civilizations and Leaders in Civilization VI (or other iterations)

Normally I'd agree, but I think they've cut down on multiple leaders to one because of the extra resources that go into a leader these days- animation, voice acting, etc.

Hmm...

My ideal list?

No Location
Custom Civ - Custom Leader
It should be possible to create your own civilization, with selectable bonuses, and colors. It should also be possible, and easy, to modify the name and city list of any NPC civilization so as to make custom maps easier.

Moving along...another thing I'd like is a return to Civilization II's trait of having a male and a female leader for each civilization.

Americas
Iroquois
Shoshone
Aztecs
Inca
Maya
Olmec
America
Brazil
Mexico
Canada
Argentina

Europe
Celts
English
Portuguese
Spanish
French
Germans
Austrians
Italians
Polish
Greeks
Romans
Scandinavians
Russians
Turks
Huns
Byzantines

Near East & Africa
Carthiginians
Egyptians
Nubians
Mali
Zulu
Arabians
Persians
Zimbabweans
Babylonians
Akkadians

Indian Subcontinent
Ashoka
Maurya
Indians
Burmese
Pakistani

East Asia & Oceania
Mongolians
Koreans
Japanese
Chinese
Shang
Siamese
Indonesians
Australians
Polynesians

A Polynesian civ is like having a European civ; they're all too diverse to be put into one. I'd recommend having Hawaii and the Maori (Aotearoa?) as the two "representative" Polynesian civs.

Artaxerxes

Banned
Normally I'd agree, but I think they've cut down on multiple leaders to one because of the extra resources that go into a leader these days- animation, voice acting, etc.

The animation and voice acting have been the least attractive parts of the Civ series the last few iterations, the cartoon animations and stupid gestures destroy any sense of immersion.

What worked well though were the flavour quotes in Alpha Centauri when you made a discovery mind (and I think AC was the pinnacle of the series)

The animation and voice acting have been the least attractive parts of the Civ series the last few iterations, the cartoon animations and stupid gestures destroy any sense of immersion.

What worked well though were the flavour quotes in Alpha Centauri when you made a discovery mind (and I think AC was the pinnacle of the series)

Personally I think the Civ 3 leaderheads that changed with the era's was pretty cool. I wish they'd bring that back.

Artaxerxes

Banned
Personally I think the Civ 3 leaderheads that changed with the era's was pretty cool. I wish they'd bring that back.

Era specific, static portraits, would be best I think, anything but the caricatures of Civ 4

Although I kind of miss the advisor's from Civ 2, those guys were great in a cheesy way (build more City Walls!)

Wouldn't it be better to just have a overarching culture like Germanic, Slavic, Latin, Greek, Polynesian etc. You spawn as the base culture but there is also several other civs of your base culture nearby. Over time they evolve into different sub cultures each with their own leader. Each of the subsets would have different bonuses that you pick like a religion once you have enough culture.

You can try to militarily conquer the rest, Cultural dominate them or diplomatically bind them together to form your head nation eg Germanic = Germany. You don't need all of them but the more the better. They can also through a tourism mechanic or because they were conquered turn into different cultures. Culture could partially spread like religion does now in civ5 but no missionaries or prophets. Eg in real like Greek culture spread through the Mediterranean during the classical era.

My method of categorisation would be around cradles of civilisation and representative civilisation for each:

CHINA
- Korean
- Japanese
- Vietnamese
- Song dynasty (southern China)
- Manchu
- Mongolian/Hunnic

INDIA
- Pakistani
- Nepalese
- Tibetan
- Burmese
- Polynesian
- Malay (southeast Asia)

EGYPT (a rough designation, but all of Africa)
- Ethiopian
- Ugandan
- Nigerian
- Congolese
- Malian
- South African

GREECE
- Swedish
- French
- Russian
- Roman
- German
- Dutch

PERU
- Brazilian
- Colombian
- Chilean
- Argentinian
- Portuguese (since Brazil is here :p)
- Bolivian

MEXICO
- Spanish (same reason as Portugal)
- Iroquois
- Cuban
- Haitian
- Texan
- Guatemalan ("domination" of FR Central America)

IRAQ (or Syria, representative of Mesopotamia)
- Arabian
- Persian
- Omani
- Turkish
- Moroccan
- Kurdish

MODERN ADDITION: BRITAIN (their global empire cannot be ignored)
- Irish
- Canadian
- Australian
- American
- Celt
- Danish (since part of their heritage)

Europe
Celts
Scandinavians
English
Spanish
French
Russians
Rome
Greece
Germans

East Asia
China
Mongolia
Japan
Korea
Siam
India

Middle East
Sumeria
Babylon
Arabia
Ottoman
Byzantine
Israelite (if there is a religion mechanic)
Persia

Americas
USA
Iroquois
Anasazi/Puebloan
Tlingit
Lakota
Aztec
Maya
Inca
Brazil

Africa
Egypt
Nubia
Mali
Ethiopia
Ghana
Zulu

Ah thanks! I just wish they'd bring back multiple leaders.
While I was reading your thoughts on Britain vs England and Scotland and then Germany vs Prussia vs the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, I started thinking... wouldn't it be cool if they brought back the multiple leaders idea, but the Civ name/flag and city list changed depending on which leader you picked? Could work very well for Britain, India, Germany...

That was a great read btw, thanks. :)

I wouldn't mind if they went back to Civ3's style of leaderheads either. (Or just remade Civ3... <3)

While I was reading your thoughts on Britain vs England and Scotland and then Germany vs Prussia vs the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, I started thinking... wouldn't it be cool if they brought back the multiple leaders idea, but the Civ name/flag and city list changed depending on which leader you picked? Could work very well for Britain, India, Germany...

That was a great read btw, thanks. :)

Yeah, that idea could definitely work! And thanks!

Krall

Banned
Honestly I'd rather there weren't any pre-set civilisations at all - instead you could play as a generic civilisation without any initial bonuses, then gain unique traits as a direct result of your civilisation's history.

Honestly I'd rather there weren't any pre-set civilisations at all - instead you could play as a generic civilisation without any initial bonuses, then gain unique traits as a direct result of your civilisation's history.

This, too, would be cool...except the "at all" part. Sometimes I might just want to play as the Egyptians or the Italians.

Krall

Banned
This, too, would be cool...except the "at all" part. Sometimes I might just want to play as the Egyptians or the Italians.

Well, I'm basically advocating for a completely different game - a civilisation development simulator, as opposed to a complicated board game where you play as historical civilisations. :p

Inuit, Mound Builders, Shoshone, Iroquois, Cherokee, Dakota, Aztecs, Maya, Olmec, Inca, Celts, Gauls, Estruca, Sami, Uralic, Mycenae, Hittites, Sea People, Phoenicians, Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Akkadians, Elamites, Parsi, Parthians, Medians, Arabians, Hebrews, Egyptians, Berbers, Malians, Togo, Benin, Ghana, Ethiopia, Swahili, Zulu, Nubians, Kush, Mohenjo-Daro, Aryans, Hindi, Dravidians, Burmese, Siamese, Chinese, Manchu, Southern Song, Mongols, Turks, Kazakhs, Cossacks, Koreans, Japanese, Indonesians, Vietnamese, Khmer, Maori, Hawaiians, Canadians, Americans, Mexicans, Cubans, Gran Colombians, Peruvians, Brazilians, Argentines, Bolivians, English, Scottish, Welsh, French, Dutch, Belgians, Spanish, Catalans, Portuguese, Greeks, Romans, Italians, Swiss, Holy Roman Empire, Germany, Danes, Swedes, Norwegians, Icelanders, Finns, Austrians, Hungarians, Yugoslavs, Burgundians, Albanians, Bulgarians, Ukrainians, Russians, Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Romanians, Roma, Turks, Syrians, Iraqis, Israelis, Hashemites, Muscat, Trucial States, Soviets, Libyans, Algerians, Moroccans, Nigerians, South Africans, Congolese, Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Imperialist Japan, Indians, Burmese, Tibetans, Chechens, Laotians, Hmong, Uigers, Taiwanese, Filipinos, Australians, Kiwis, Fijians, Spacemen, Martians, Venutians, Klingon, Borg, Galactic Empire, Jedi, Rebellion, Holy Britannic Empire, Oceania, Eastasia, Eurasia, World State, U.N., L.O.N., Papal States, Umayyads, Jewish Khazars, Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Ireland, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Quebecois, Louisiana, New Netherlands, Prussia, Bavaria, Kievan Rus, Belorussia, Uzbeks, Turkmen, Kyrgyz, Tajiks, Tannu Tuva, Confederates, Cromwell's Commonwealth, Athens, Sparta, Sudanese, Byzantines, Armenians, Georgians, Azerbaijanis, Afghanis, Nepalese, Bhutan, Hong Kong, Macau, Brunei, Malaysia, Micronesians, Melanesians, Polynesians, Guatemala, Transylvania, Venice, Milan, Sicily, Corsica, Novorossiya, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Transniestria, Mozambique, Angola, Zimbabwe, Rhodesia, Galicia, Brittany, Seychelles, Mauritania, West Indies, Timor-Leste, Military Order of the Knights of St. John, Kenya, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Fedex, UPS, Valspar, National Geographic, Catholicism, Judaism, Protestantism, Orthodoxy, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Jainism, AH.com, Mine craft, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Maoism, Bolshevism, Leninism-Stalinism, Freud, Jackson Pollock, World Federation (from Voyage to Alpha Centauri), Regnum Pacis, OneRepublic, Maryland, Maine, Nebraska, Alberta, Cornwall, Canton, City of London, Underground Nazis, Moon Nazis, Space Nazis, Underwater Nazis, Sky Nazis, Extra-dimensional Nazis, Time-travelling Nazis, Computer Nazis, New World Order, Reptilian Aliens, Alpha Centauri, Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Australia, Antarctica, Australiasia, Afro-Eurasia, Aceh, Democrats, Republics, Blame Obama, NAFTA, EU, ASEAN, APEC, the Commonwealth, Karelia, Lappland, Cameroon, Malta, Panama, Cape Verde, Bahamas, Newfoundland, Cascadia, Lauraist Communist Minnesota, Harvard, Yale, Homer, Aesop, Inevitable Republic of Deseret, Middle East, Zoroastrian Empire, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Siberia, Midwest, New York, New England, GeoJuggernaut says screw Calbear, Great Lakes Republic, Texas, California, Alaska, Carthage, Niger, Senegal, Western Sahara, Occitania, Normandy, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Papua, Guyana, Somalia, Liberia, Huns, Goths, Hesse, Saxons, Rhineland, Habsburgs, Amish, Norse fire, Liechtenstein, Choctaw, Ojibwe, Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Vikings, Castille, Aragon, Granada, Basques, Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Venezuela, Kalmar Union, Ottomans, Yemen, Crusaders, Kurds, Navajo, Apache, Savoy, Genoa, Tuscany, Moravia, Frisia, Luxembourg, Suriname, Golden Horde, Sikhs, Rajputs, Daleks, Yeerks, Covenant, X-Men, Skynet, Macedonia, Minoa, and...

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA