High On The Mountain Top: A Deseret TL.

Zioneer

Banned
Actually, I have seen one such vote. The dissenter had no objection to the Calling per se, but she pointed out (correctly) that the Stake President had inadvertantly Called the Brother in question as "Second Counsellor" when it should have been First Counsellor. The vote was hastily retaken and the usual unanimity restored.

Huh, cool. I've never seen a single vote against anybody being called to an office of the church, even though that sort of thing (getting the title wrong) has happened before. My ward's bishopric is quick enough to realize what they got wrong before they actually call it to a vote.

That takes guts though; having the entire ward wonder if you're a bonafide dissenter ala the early church leaders we like to rag on about.

By the way, I was born years after the Church's decision to restore priesthood to blacks, so I'm wondering, was there nay votes and dissension within church meetings then?

By the way, I was born years after the Church's decision to restore priesthood to blacks, so I'm wondering, was there nay votes and dissension within church meetings then?

Sorry, can't help. I was alive then (aged 30) and read about the decision in TIME, but my Church membership was still nearly twenty years in the future.

I like this thread, you should definitely update it soon! I've subscribed to it.

EDIT: I, for one, like your narrative sections. They're very melodramatic but that's fun, I think you're taking it to the top but possibly avoiding going over the top, which is good. So make sure you do more of those. I especially liked the description of the confrontation between the militia and Ridgon.

Zioneer

Banned
Just a note that this isn't dead, guys. I'm just having trouble writing the Battle for Nauvoo. I'm not sure in what format I should write it. I might need help from anyone who can write a good battle scene.

When I wrote the Battle of Natchez, I started by looking at a map of the area and figuring out how it would look to both sides and how they'd make use of the terrain.

Zioneer

Banned
Chapter 4: The Battle of Nauvoo

From the Journal of Hosea Stout, Lieutenant-General of the Nauvoo Legion[1], July 27th, 1844

Today, the righteous have triumphed. Today, the hordes of Bennett, and his father the Devil[2] have lost. The gentile mobs have been scattered! Hallelujah to the Lord!

This battle for Nauvoo the Beautiful began early in the morn'. Bennett and his mob camped directly outside our city, all eight hundred of them. The true men of the Church were assembled around the houses leading out from Nauvoo, with a few troops of the Legion looking out of the windows of the houses of Nauvoo.

That slippery Bennett rode quickly to Brother Brigham[3] under a flag of truce. I was not not present for Bennett's negotiation, for I was undertaking the last of the preparations, but from the way I have heard it told, Bennett's mouth streamed forth fire, and claws sprouted from his fingers as he spoke blasphemy enough to make grown men weep. Rather unlikely, but we Saints do love our exaggerations.

Regardless, from all accounts, Bennett repeated his claim of sole leadership of the Church of Christ[4], while Brother Brigham insisted that the Quorum of the Twelve, while reduced in size, was still the leading force of the Church as of Brother Joseph's death. At this point, Bennett waved around his ridiculous "Sword of Laban", in a foolish attempt to intimidate a true man of God. Brother Brigham was not afraid, and denounced Bennett once more. Bennett rode off angrily, having not accomplished his foul purpose.

I finished my preparations at this point, and rode back to the front of the Nauvoo Legion to lead this legion of the Church against those who would destroy it.

We struck the first blow, Brother Lot Smith and the fifty of the old followers of the penitent Rigdon leading a cavalry charge from the woods, and striking Bennett's army from behind. That kept their attention occupied for long enough that the Legion could march forward, and we would have routed them then and there, if not for the apostate Lyman Wight's admittedly brave charge against us. The direct assault gave him a mighty wound in the arm, but it drove us back into Nauvoo. Seventy-five of us were dead, and two hundred of us were wounded, including Brother Brigham's brother Phineas.

A small company of the Gentile militia under Bennett then surged into the houses of Brother Kimball and Brother Woodruff, breaking the windows with their rifle butts. They made the houses of the brethren a foothold in beautiful Nauvoo. Bennett himself, convinced of his victory, declared loudly that "If the Church will not have me by words, then the Church will have me by saber and shot!" That foul devil charged towards my position, where Brother Brigham was also standing. Some of the militia charging with Bennett yelled horrid oaths and claims of the falsehood of the scriptures.

Glory be to the Lord, however, for he blessed me with the wisdom to prepare for such an assault, and I ordered the cannons I had prepared before the battle to be fired. Cannonshot shelled the Kimball and Woodruff homes, and decimated Bennett's forces. As one, they gave up a shout of fear, and began retreating, directly into the welcoming arms of Brother Lot's Ridgonite calvary. It was then that it was discovered that the false prophet Bennett had been killed by cannon fire. His followers and the Illinois surrendered at this news, and threw down their arms. Flush in the victory of God, we granted them mercy, and let the enemies of the Lord go free. I can only hope that we did the right thing in doing so... Regardless, the true leadership of the Church has triumphed! The Quorum, lead by the finest men on this continent, is supreme over the greater whole of the Church!

_______

So there you finally have it; the battle of Nauvoo! I thought it'd be fun to write it from the perspective of the commander of the Nauvoo Legion, Hosea Stout. In real-life, he was only a commander within the Legion, but I'm making him the military commander of the Mormons. In any case, I hope you enjoyed this update! More will come, a lot quicker than this one did.

[1]Fun little fact; up until the Civil War, Lieutenant-General was the highest rank you could get in the United States army, and only George Washington held it. Well, until Joseph Smith wanted to make his Nauvoo Legion more independent from the normal Illinois militia, and so made himself Lieutenant-General over the Legion. This may have been yet another reason why anti-Mormons were angry at Joseph; they saw him as trying to usurp Washington's title. I'm purposely making Stout the military commander of the Mormons, so he gets to have that title.

[2] Like Hosea Stout says, the Saints did love their exaggerations and over-dramatics; of course, back then, who didn't?

[3] I don't know if I addressed this before, but I'm not being inaccurate in the form of address I'm having Stout refer to Brigham Young by. Most Saints (by the way, that name for them will be interchangeable with "Mormon") referred to their fellow members by "Brother/Sister" and the member's first name. Even the leaders got this treatment.

[4]The Church of Christ is the original name for the LDS Church, and it's what it was called for quite a while.

The picture at the bottom of this post is a map of Nauvoo, of course.

nauvoo3.jpg

Zioneer

Banned
Chapter 5: A Brief Respite and a Puzzling Election

After the victorious conclusion of the Battle of Nauvoo, the reigning Quorum of the Twelve did not take moves to extend it's influences further into Illinois, and so both sides subsided into an uneasy peace. The state militia had been proven inferior to the Nauvoo Legion, yet the spokesman for the Church, Brigham Young, repeatedly insisted that all the Church wanted was to be left alone.

With the peace taking effect in Nauvoo, the Quorum of the Twelve began to send out missionaries again, sending many of the Church's finest out to preach of the church's teachings in Europe.[1] Translations of the Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price[2] into various languages resumed after being interrupted by the conflict.

Brother Brigham also began meeting with various explorers of the West, including John C Fremont, Jim Bridger, and Federal military officials friendly to the Mormons. Speculation began of Brigham's intentions, and a minor scandal erupted after church funds were found to have been used on supplies such as butter, salt, rope, cloth, wood, and other materials that the Saints had already in abundance. Some thought that Brigham was preparing for a future siege of Nauvoo. Others assumed that Brigham planned to move the Mormons to the Iowa Territory. Yet others thought that the Mormons were preparing to open settlements back in Missouri, in defiance of the Extermination Order of Governor Boggs.

While the Quorum's leaders planned, the larger body of the Saints began rebuilding the destroyed outskirts of Nauvoo, and quietly pressured the last remnants of pro-Bennett Mormons and the small splinter of pro-Strang elements to leave Nauvoo. The followers of Bennett joined with Strang's congregation, and Strang left Illinois completely, citing a letter[3] from Joseph Smith that commanded him to lead the Church in Voree Wisconsin, where he "found" the Voree Plates. After the Strangites left, the main body of Saints resumed construction on

Meanwhile, as 1844 drew to a close, the election of 1844 loomed large in most American minds. James K. Polk campaigned against Henry Clay. Polk campaigned on expansionism, arguing that it was America's destiny to spread from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He especially pushed for the annexation of Texas. His campaign was well received by slaveholding interests, who saw land ripe for plantations. Clay campaigned on non-interventionism, and even opposed annexing Texas, and pointed to what he called "The Mormon Civil War"[4] as evidence that the United States should not expand while outright war within it's borders was possible. He advocated dealing with disruptive elements within the nation first.

Mormons, though annoyed by Clay's comments labeling them "disruptive", voted for Clay regardless, on the advice of Sidney Rigdon, who stated that "If Polk is elected, we will not be left alone. Clay will want us out of the country, but Polk wants the country and it's mobs to forever surround us, though we go ever westward."

In the end, the Mormon vote for Clay did not spectacularly effect the election, but Clay's comments about improving what the United States already had, along with a backroom deal to ensure that at some expansion would be undertook, swung the election in a different way than could be expected.

In the first week of November, Henry Clay was elected Eleventh President of the United States of America, along with a small number of anti-interventionists. This anti-expansionist sentiment prevented the annexation of Texas, as the former President, John Tyler, had planned.

______

[1] By 1844, several countries had missionary efforts going in them, including what is now OTL Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, the Netherlands, Germany, Turkey, OTL Israel, Samoa, and French Polynesia (which was the first place the missionaries preached in a language other than English). Of course, there wasn't widespread missionary efforts in any of those countries except Great Britain, and even then it was rather sparse, even with the great successes of the first few missionaries there.

[2]Another one of the scriptures of the LDS Faith.

[3]There was a real-life letter, but it's since been proven to have been forged. I'm assuming the same in this TL.

[4] Didn't think I could connect the two PoDs together, didja? :p

Interesting tie-in. Would be interesting to see how a Clay Presidency works out for non-Mormons in TTL as well.

As always, another great update! :cool:

No, I mean that they're anti-Mormon enough that I don't know the quality of the information I'm using. As in, the sources I'm using, which are neutral-seeming, checked-out-from-school libraries sources, have misinformed me at least once.

But I will continue then, yes. Stay tuned for another update within a few hours.

There are more sources and subjects like that in the historical world, to be sure. By all means, just do the best you can.

Access to the Salt Lake Valley

On a sort of related point...

Is it just me, or is the Salt Lake valley the single really habitable (by non-native americans) area within the bounds of Mexico (as of independence) that is *least* controllable from Mexico city? For all of the issues of controlling the Yucatan, it least it was *lot* closer. Was the Lake Tahoe area equally inaccessible?

Keep up the great work, man! Out of curiousity, is 'King' Strang still going going to find himself in Michigan having a fateful encounter with some angry Irish-Catholics?

I've always found the LDS fascinating, and regret that I don't know enough about it to really add much of substance, besides a "way to go!" :)