Gotham City-State

JSmith

Banned
If NYC, and possibly some surrounding areas, formed it's own state it would be a lot like what you are describing. In not-so-serious suggestions for that to happen the name Gotham has even been proposed as the name they'd use. City-State of New York would be better, but then you need to call upstate something else. I think Gotham is supposed to like 30 million people, which is obviously much more than NYC proper, but still the same idea. If the 5 boroughs became a state it would function a lot like a city-state. They would skip an entire level of government, so there would be a Governor/Mayor and NYC representatives in Congress. it wouldn't have the unique position of DC, and it wouldn't even be a small state. it would be relatively large population-wise. This isn't realistic, but it is about as much so as most suggestions to divide states.
This is along the line of what I'm thinking but I dont think it has to be New York or in place of New York.I actually like the New Jersey location.Of course we'd be talking alternate geography too since Gotham is on 3 islands.

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
Gotham City is in New Jersey. The only thing even suggesting a contradiction for the Nolanverse is the Gotham liscense plate, which I assumed to be one of those specialty plates you see now and then.

JSmith

Banned
Gotham City is in New Jersey. The only thing even suggesting a contradiction for the Nolanverse is the Gotham liscense plate, which I assumed to be one of those specialty plates you see now and then.
So do you have an idea where it is in New Jersey?

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
So do you have an idea where it is in New Jersey?

What what I've read, it's supposed to be more or less where Little Egg Harbor sits in OTL. It's not exactly the same - DC took quite a few liberties with geography to make Gotham work here, making the harbor MUCH larger and modifying the coastline (plus adding the islands) - but it's easy enough to see.

Here's a map I drew up a while back to illustrate:

attachment.php

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
Awesome. I dont suppose you have a Nolanverse History of Gotham City to go along with this do you :D

A Nolanverse-specific history? Sorry, no. ^_^()

You can find the regular DC version of Gotham's history at Wikipedia, and probably elsewhere.

JSmith

Banned
A Nolanverse-specific history? Sorry, no. ^_^()

You can find the regular DC version of Gotham's history at Wikipedia, and probably elsewhere.
Yes have actually seen that but when it comes to things Batman I'm pretty much just a Nolanverse fan. It may be blasphmey to some but I never liked the old tv show or the 80's-90's movies. Hopefully, eventually someone will write a Nolanverse history to go along with the maps and pictures.

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
Yes have actually seen that but when it comes to things Batman I'm pretty much just a Nolanverse fan. It may be blasphmey to some but I never liked the old tv show or the 80's-90's movies. Hopefully, eventually someone will write a Nolanverse history to go along with the maps and pictures.

You're not alone in that. I won't watch the 60's TV show, and I really could care less for the older movies save for the first Tim Burton Batman. As for the history, I don't recall anything in there really fantastic that would preclude it from being canon to the Nolanverse...

..... wait Metropolis is in Delaware? :confused::eek:

Jeeze. Of course they put Metropolis twenty minutes away from me. Of course they put it in Sussex County which only has a population of 200k and besides the beaches it's mostly corn.

Now Metropolis has a population of 11 Million. Greater then the OTL State of DE plus neighboring MD combined.

I imagine any TL focusing on these two cities could be called 'A Tale of Two Cities: Gotham and Metropolis'

Last edited:
This reminds me, I've been toying with the idea of an alternate history where Superman debuted in a 1939 world identical to ours except for the DC universe changes. That'll go in my other half formed ideas bin that I'm too lazy to work on.

JSmith

Banned
This reminds me, I've been toying with the idea of an alternate history where Superman debuted in a 1939 world identical to ours except for the DC universe changes. That'll go in my other half formed ideas bin that I'm too lazy to work on.
This sounds very interesting . Maybe you can do a drib here and and drab there ;)

Here are a trio GC maps. They relate to the comics not the movies. However, as the movies use the comics map as a base, I thought they might be relevant.
The first lists important locations (comics not movie).
The second shows its location with New Jersey (influenced by the DC Atlas).
The third is the subway map.
Gotham_map.jpg

tumblr_m7jml4GWAJ1rbdz64o1_1280.png

Gothammap.jpg