Glen's Star Wars Prequels

Glen

And Liam Neeson was born to be a Jedi master. If he can't be Obi Wan, I certainly hope there'd be a role for him. Perhaps Mace Windu, and then Samuel Jackson can play Jango Fett and all the clones, or Lando's uncle. Or you could think outside the box and make Liam Neeson Palpatine. I wasn't impressed by OTL's Palpatine.

Neeson will still be Qui-gon but he will be part of the Jedi Council and not prominent until Revenge of the Sith. Jackson will still be cast as Master Windu. Ian McDiarmond is the original actor who portrayed the Emperor in RoTJ. He will remain Palpatine. I like him.

Glen

Corny as it sounds I like the idea of having a Padme-Obi-Ani Triangle, it could add a lot of depth to the relationships off all three--and it would add also a lot more emotion and drama in the final battle "I Loved you Anakin, as you and I both loved Padme, but your hatred and blindess to your own greed and power have taken her from both of us!"

"I..HATE you!!" etc, etc :cool::eek:

Not in my prequels Anakin's nickname is An' and never Ani! There will be a subtle attaction between Obi-Wan and Padme in mine but it will never be overtly referenced. Rather it will all be subtext. This will have very little to do with An's fall to the Dark Side. It is part of the reason why Obi-wan lingers a Padme's side long after duty would no longer require it and why Qui-gon finds him at her side during his investigations of Dooku's corruption.

Other possible candidates for Amidala:

Kristin Scott Thomas (born in 1960)
Juliette Binoche (born in 1964)
Diane Lane (born in 1965)
Helena Bonham Carter (born in 1966)

I think Oldman is inspired for Obi-wan. Only other decent possibilities I can think of are:

Kenneth Branagh (born in 1960).
Ralph Fiennes (born in 1962). Maybe a little tall at 6 feet.

Though would probably be impossible to get 3 deal committments out of such big name actors.

It's unfortunate what this will do to Natalie Portman's career, but that's the price you pay for alternate history.

Glen

Other possible candidates for Amidala:

Hey, what do you have against Ashley Judd?;)

Kristin Scott Thomas (born in 1960)

Too old, doesn't have that action chick vibe.

Juliette Binoche (born in 1964)

Still a bit older than I'd like, but more to the point, she's really art house - I don't think she has any popular works to her credit. I don't see her going Star Wars.

Diane Lane (born in 1965)

Oh, you tempt me, my friend. I love me some Diane Lane. But I don't buy her as Leia's mom.

Helena Bonham Carter (born in 1966)

Another actress I really, really enjoy, but a totally different physical type than I was thinking for Padme.

I think Oldman is inspired for Obi-wan.

Thanks, I worked hard on that one. Glad you approve.

Only other decent possibilities I can think of are:

Kenneth Branagh (born in 1960).

Branagh could very well work. It looks like he even was first considered for the role of younger Obi-Wan IOTL - he would be even more appropriate for the role ITTL. So, what do people think, Branagh or Oldman? I might still go with Oldman because I think he would play the role more straight than Branagh might....

Ralph Fiennes (born in 1962). Maybe a little tall at 6 feet.

Definitely too tall.

Though would probably be impossible to get 3 deal committments out of such big name actors.

Not necessarily. Look at Harry Potter.

Glen

It's unfortunate what this will do to Natalie Portman's career, but that's the price you pay for alternate history.

Oh, I think Natalie would still do fine. She was making good films before Phantom, and even immediately after, that really had nothing to do with her having portrayed Amidala. In fact, in many ways her being in the Star Wars prequels was a sidetrack compared to the rest of her career.

That's a relief. By the way, I'm glad to hear about Qui Gon Jinn, and am looking forward to learning what his prominent role is. I do think Kenneth Branagh has a nice look to play Obi Wan, but I don't know enough about him or Oldman to form an opinion.

Glen

That's a relief. By the way, I'm glad to hear about Qui Gon Jinn, and am looking forward to learning what his prominent role is.

Read further in the first post - he has cameos in the first two movies, but a prominent role in the last one as the main investigator as to the subversion of Count Dooku to the Dark Side.

I do think Kenneth Branagh has a nice look to play Obi Wan, but I don't know enough about him or Oldman to form an opinion.

They're both good - but I think Oldman has a more steady record of good performances. Branagh is great, but sometimes a bit over the top.

Hey, what do you have against Ashley Judd?;)

Too old, doesn't have that action chick vibe.

Hey she's smokin'. And closely enough resembles Carrie Fisher that I could see her as the mother. Just worried she couldn't pull off playing a Queen. [Which is why I went and came up with some more classical acting chop options. Kristin Scott Thomas screams icy aristocrat to me. Would be fun watching Heath Ledger wear down her resolve to a cocky pilot.] But hey if a 21 year old Carrie Fisher can pull off playing a princess really well, why can't a 31 one year old Ashley Judd do the same.

If Gary Oldman gets to play Obi-wan and still plays George Smiley ITTL, what other classic roles does he get to remake out of the Alec Guiness catalog?

Glen

Hey she's smokin'. And closely enough resembles Carrie Fisher that I could see her as the mother.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Just worried she couldn't pull off playing a Queen. [Which is why I went and came up with some more classical acting chop options. Kristin Scott Thomas screams icy aristocrat to me. Would be fun watching Heath Ledger wear down her resolve to a cocky pilot.] But hey if a 21 year old Carrie Fisher can pull off playing a princess really well, why can't a 31 one year old Ashley Judd do the same.

Given the range and acting ability Ashley Judd has shown in her career I think she could pull off a Queenly performance, but now at least it makes some sense, all those other recommendations. I think Ledger and Judd would play off each other quite well!

If Gary Oldman gets to play Obi-wan and still plays George Smiley ITTL, what other classic roles does he get to remake out of the Alec Guiness catalog?

I think that alone would be quite enough. Interestingly, I found this New York Times article which specifically states that Oldman "can do a fair Guinness-as-Obi-Wan Kenobi impression" so how perfect is that?

I think Branagh is still a possible, but I'm leaning Oldman.

He could spend the rest of career playing people Alec Guinness played! This is the age of remakes. And also, Alec Guinness played both Adolf Hitler and Marcus Aurelius. Those two guys are in movies all the time.

As for Kenneth Branagh, I looked up what he was doing in 1999, and you're right. He's too over-the-top. He's much better as the villain in Wild Wild West than he could have been as Obi Wan Kenobi. He could possibly do a good Jar Jar, but I wouldn't advise it.

MAlexMatt

Banned
For the first episode, he's a bit on the young side, agreed, but I think he'd work all the same. Actually, George will probably love finding someone that young for the role.

Paul Bettany would be interesting, true....

Paul Bettany would be an absolutely exhilarating Jar Jar. He's got the slightly silly but competant thing down to a science. You all saw A Knight's Tale, right?

Plus, as a completely straight man, I'm willing to admit I've got a bit of a man-crush on Bettany.

Glen

He could spend the rest of career playing people Alec Guinness played! This is the age of remakes. And also, Alec Guinness played both Adolf Hitler and Marcus Aurelius. Those two guys are in movies all the time.

Well, yeah, but we won't delve too much into that...

As for Kenneth Branagh, I looked up what he was doing in 1999, and you're right. He's too over-the-top. He's much better as the villain in Wild Wild West than he could have been as Obi Wan Kenobi. He could possibly do a good Jar Jar, but I wouldn't advise it.

No, just no....well...no.

Glen

Paul Bettany would be an absolutely exhilarating Jar Jar. He's got the slightly silly but competant thing down to a science. You all saw A Knight's Tale, right?

Plus, as a completely straight man, I'm willing to admit I've got a bit of a man-crush on Bettany.

Now as my Jar Jar Binks, hmmm....that might be interesting....

I haven't seen it. But if you think he's got good chemistry with Heath Ledger and if Glen has seen it, it's worth considering.
Glen, how different do you want your Jar Jar to be from the real one?

Glen

I haven't seen it. But if you think he's got good chemistry with Heath Ledger and if Glen has seen it, it's worth considering.

They were great together in A Knight's Tale!

Glen, how different do you want your Jar Jar to be from the real one?

Very. First, our Jar Jar will speak standard American English (none of this mesa stuff). Second, while he will play act the bumkin, he is actually a slick operator, basically a smuggler and facilitator when we first meet him, who will grow into a leader of the resistance against the Clone Army's occupation of his planet (using those previously nefarious skills for the greater good). Jar Jar wants people to not take him seriously, so he can get away with more.

In a way, I am splitting the role Han Solo played in the original series between Anakin and Jar Jar. Anakin gets the hot shot pilot ladies' man bit, where Jar Jar gets the shady smuggler/operator bit with a sly sense of humor.

Based on your previous posts, I was already thinking that both Jar Jar and Anakin are a lot like Han Solo but different from each other. I approve!

So, Paul Bettany would be a good choice. But then again, maybe an experienced voice actor would be a better choice for Jar Jar.

Glen

Based on your previous posts, I was already thinking that both Jar Jar and Anakin are a lot like Han Solo but different from each other. I approve!

So, Paul Bettany would be a good choice. But then again, maybe an experienced voice actor would be a better choice for Jar Jar.

Might be best to replace the actor, yes, but with whom remains an open question...

If no voice actor jumps out at you, I'd suggest sticking with Paul Bettany. He's got a lot going for him.

John Dimagio might be good.

Last edited: