Filipinas: La Gloriosa y Más Allá

subscribed!

Bravo!

I have always considered the Philippines a missed opportunity for international politics complexity.

I have always wanted a timeline where they step up and moved in a more positive direction and did not just get screwed over by colonizers/imperialist.

It'll be interesting to see how change in the Philippines butterflies the whole world. One point will be Japanese reaction to an independent Philippines before WW2 and where its defence and industry will have not been mismanaged by colonials.

I wonder if better off spain could win some colonies in Africa. After all they do have Fernando Po and Equatorial Guinea, perhaps they could get some more land.

subscribed!

Bravo!

I have always considered the Philippines a missed opportunity for international politics complexity.

I have always wanted a timeline where they step up and moved in a more positive direction and did not just get screwed over by colonizers/imperialist.

It'll be interesting to see how change in the Philippines butterflies the whole world. One point will be Japanese reaction to an independent Philippines before WW2 and where its defence and industry will have not been mismanaged by colonials.

Thanks for subscribing to my very first thread.

I've seen a few Philippines-related TL before (kasumigenx's TL, for example), but I think this TL tackles the long-lasting effects of La Gloriosa on the Philippines as a whole. Well, let's see

I've also had portions on the Philippines for my other TLs (one of them being a Philippine Islands falling under Japanese rule in an alt-Spanish-Japanese War and the other being an original version of the TL I'm working on)

Announcement

The next chapter is drafted right now this afternoon, Philippine Standard Time. I will post the details tonight or tomorrow.

Timeline of Events, 1871-73: The Setback

1871​

4 April:
Rafael de Izquierdo y Gutierrez arrived at Manila from Madrid. He was assigned three months earlier by the Overseas Ministry to be the new Governor-General of the Philippine Islands. Upon arriving, he saw the outgoing Governor-General, Carlos Maria de la Torre, shook his hand and presented the letter of confirmation of Sr. Izquierdo's appointment.​

5 April:
Rafael de Izquierdo's very first task as Governor-General: Restoring the palace protocol and etiquette that modified by his predecessor.​

18 April:
The Governor-General decreed that announced for the establishment of telegraph lines across the archipelago. In a statement that later released to the press, Sr. Izquierdo explained the four-month plan as necessary for development of the economy and improvement of communication across the islands.​
Philippines-Telegraph-Lines-the.jpg

Construction of a telegraph line near Manila

25 April:
The Governor-General decreed the opening of steamship lines in the colony. The said decree described that steamships "transported goods and people across the Islands, as well as between the Islands and the rest of the world."​

2-3 May:
It was revealed to various Manila papers that the Committee never meet with the Governor-General for a month; the reason is the insistence of Sr. Izquierdo to suspend the conversion of Universidad de Sto. Tomas into a public university, as well as the inquiry on the properties of Letran as well as the UST (both owned by the Dominicans). When the Committee was asked by the press the following day, they simply confirmed the news; no meetings with Sr. Izquierdo for almost a month, as he announced the definite suspension of UST conversion and the inquiries.​

4-6 May:
Indignant and disappointed, ilustrados and their allies organized demonstrations across the country to protest Rafael de Izquierdo and call for his immediate resignation.​

June:
The Governor-General inaugurated the Instituto Filipino in the Old City. He reluctantly accepted it at first, but it was necessary, as the Committee insisted. (and that's before the suspension of the meetings)
After the inauguration, the atmosphere became more tense, as shouts of "¡Dimisión!" inundiated the event. Sr. Izquierdo immediately leave the scene, asisted by his bodyguards.​
Intramuros_007.jpg

The site of Instituto Filipino, now Casa Manila

July:
The Governor-General declared Martial Law in the provinces of Pampanga and Cavite in order to combat the remaining bandits.
The reaction to the declaration was negative, especially in part of Casimiro Camerino; he threatened to resign from his post for position as the commander of the Guardia Civil's Batallón de Guías (some rumors says that the whole batallion will leave from the Guardia Civil,too). Sr. Izquierdo halted the threat, saying to him that the batallion and the bandits were different people.​

October:
The Governor-General issued two decrees; the first decree stated that the soldiers of the Engineering and Artillery Corps should pay taxes; these soldiers were previously exempted from taxation. The other decree calls for the requirement to do manual labor. It will be effective on the 1st of Juanuary, 1872.​

Last edited:
Timeline of Events, 1871-73: The Setback (continuation)

20 January:
The laborers of Fort San Felipe (Cavite) received lower wages because of the decree issued by the Governor-General last October.
When the night came, two hundred soldiers and laborers of the fort led by Sgt. Fernando La Madrid led a mutiny; they seized the fort and killed 11 officers.​
SanFelipe.jpg

Fort San Felipe, Cavite

21 January:
A regiment led by Gen. Rafael Ginooves besieged Fort San Felipe until all the mutineers surrendered.
Almost 120 personalities were arrested in the Manila, in which included priests, lawyers and "civilians", all of them liberals and ilustrados.
22-25 January:
Most Filipino soldiers were disarmed amd sent to exile in Mindanao. Meanwhile, the Governor-General crated a court-martial to investigate the mutiny.​

26 January:
The court-martial issued sentences on those who were accused of conspiracy and treason because of their alleged participation in the mutiny.​

27 January:
The Governor-General approved the death sentences on forty-one of the accused; three of them were the priests Mariano Gomez, Jose Burgos, and Jacinto Zamora (well-known as the Gomburza, the Three Martyr priests)​

Gomburza.jpg

Gomburza, the Three Martyr Priests

6 February:
The Governor-General deducted the additional eleven death sentences to life imprisonment. Others were exiled to Guam and to Spain, were they formed a group to confer with the President and His Majesty the King.​

13 February:
Exiled ilustrados in Spain led by Joaquin Pardo de Tavera, sent telegrams to HM King Leopold I and President Serrano about the situation in the Philippines under under Rafael de Izquierdo's term as the Governor-General. The telegram included the bias of the court-martial against the accusers.​

17 February:
The sentence was promulgated in the Luneta. The accusers, of which included the three priests (Gomez, Burgos and Zamora) were executed by garrote. This inflamed the already furious sentiment of the public.​
Gomburza%2Bfinal.jpg

An artist's representation of the execution.​

Timeline of Events, 1871-73: The Setback (continuation)

6 March:
Almost a month after the executions, state witness Francisco Saldua confessed to the newspaper El Porvenir that Jose Burgos was a victim of the conspiracy of the friars; according to him, they bribed the Governor-General to implicate the priest, whose views were well-known by the public, as the mastermind of the mutiny in Fort San Felipe.​

18 April:
Ilustado leaders held a meeting with President Serrano and His Majesty the King at the actual residence of the Spanish Monarchy (Palacio de El Pardo). Called the El Pardo meeting, they discussed what the ilustrados told to the two of the most powerful Spaniards through their telegram: the situation of the Philippines under Rafael de Izquierdo.​
640px-Palacio_Real_de_El_Pardo_Madrid.jpg

Palacio Real de El Pardo

20 April:
Both President Serrano and King Leopold I sent telegrams to the Governor-General back in Manila. Both contained criticism of his handling of the Philippines, especially in part of Serrano:
"....I'LL APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT WILL I SAY STOP BUT YOUR APPOINTMENT IS A QUOTE MISTAKE UNQUOTE THAT SHOULD BE CORRECTED IMMEDIATELY STOP NEVER HANDLE THE ISLANDS WITH AN IRON HAND STOP BETTER TO RESIGN ONCE AND FOR ALL..."

Last edited:
Timeline of Events, 1871-73: The Setback (last part)

6 May:
The former star witness Francisco Saldua received a mysterious mail at his house. He opened the mail and a note that said:
"Traitor, three choices: Leave the country, Confess and repent or Death?"
Believing that the friars were behind this threat, he was forced to leave the country; he went to Hong Kong.​

June:
The Governor-General inaugurated the completion of the telegraph lines in Manila. As before, tensions were evident in the said event; people opposed to his rule shouted "¡Dimisión!" inundiated the inauguration; the Guardia Civil quickly dispersed the protesters, but the resistance was too contagious. According to a witness, Rafael de Izquierdo looked unhappy, and for a reason: he was unhappy because of the telegrams he received from both the President of the Government and the King himself more than a month ago (to be exact, 22 April).​

July:
On the inauguration of the first steamship lines on the port of Manila, tensions reached a boiling point, when someone threw an egg unto the Governor-General. For Rafael de Izquierdo, the show must go on. The Guardia Civil later arrested the man who was responsible for throwing an egg to the Governor-General, named Tiburcio Batumbacal y de la Cruz, a young student from Tondo.​

September:
The Governor-General received a telegram from the Overseas Ministry that calling for the return of the exiles to the Islands. He never implemented a decree. Instead, he replied to the telegram by a simple message:
"THE MINISTRY ONLY CARED FOR LIBERALS STOP YOU ONLY CARED FOR DE LA TORRE STOP"
The following days, Rafael de Izquierdo fell ill. Doctors cited depression as the cause of his illness.​

November:
The Governor-General attempted to implement a decree that attempted to curb all newspapers by stinging censorship. For three days, newspapers, as well as the public, protested this attempt to curb their freedom of expression. Due to this public pressure, Rafael de Izquierdo forced to retract his decree.
20 December:
The Governor-General wrote to the Overseas Ministry on Madrid to he need to resign from his position. Rafael de Izquierdo defended the actions during his term, saying that he wanted a "disciplined" but democratic government for the Islands; the people misinterpreted his style of governance, and the ilustrados menaced his close relationship with the friars.​

23 December:
After sending his letter to the Overseas Ministry, the Governor-General received a telegram from the Overseas Minister Adelardo Lopez de Ayala, saying:
"SERRANO IS RIGHT STOP YOUR APPOINTMENT IS A QUOTE MISTAKE UNQUOTE STOP"

8 January:
Rafael de Izquierdo's resignation from the post of the Governor-General of the Philippines was confirmed; he was replaced by Manuel Blanco Valderrama.​

SUMMARY
The term of Rafael de Izquierdo y Gutierrez as the Governor-General of the Philippines was dominated by fear, intimidation and rule of the iron hand. Nevertheless, the Filipinos learned at the same time how to fight and defend for their freedom, especially in the aftermath of Cavite Mutiny, the court-martial and the execution at the Luneta (including the Three Martyr Priests and even Casimiro Camerino). The power of resistance overwhelmed Sr. Izquierdo. For now, there were celebrations upon receiving the news of his resignation. Nevertheless, they also know that the future is uncertain, for now.

Last edited:
Good TL! I am also glad that you are telling others about my own story, hope to see others show up in there. Also, any other questions you may have about my TL, just say so!

Great TL!!!:D:D I'm very interested how an independent Philippines that isnt plague by civil strife and corruption affects South East Asia...

Timeline of Events, 1873-74: Blanco Valderrama, the Caretaker

1873​

8 January:
Manuel Blanco Valderra replaced Rafael de Izquierdo as the Governor-General of the Philippines. On his first meeting with the Manila press, he assured that his term is temporary, but assured that he will do some measure to regain the confidence of the public.​

9 January:
Blanco Valderrama's very first act as the Governor-General: he issued a decree that pardoned the exiled ilustrados and encouraged their return to the Philippines. Simultaneously, he send a series of telegrams to the residence of the President of the Government (Casa de los Heros) and a letter to Guam of the said decree.​

11 January:
After receiving the telegram from Governor-General Blanco Valderrama, President Serrano called Joaquin Pardo de Tavera to confirm and discuss the said decree.

15-16 January:
The Governor-General received a telegram from the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces in Madrid regarding Gen. Rafael Ginoves. The next day, he confirmed that Ginoves was relieved of his position as General, as he presented a personal letter from the Joint Chief of Staff to the General; in the letter, the General will be send into Madrid for disciplinary action and retraining.​

18 January:
A group of ilustrados led by Joaquin Pardo de Tavera leave Spain via a steamboat, starting a month's journey back home. A small minority stayed there, monitoring the situation in the Mainland.
20 January:
Exiled leaders from Guam and Mindanao arrived in Manila, as the Governor-General received them in the Port of Manila.​

19 February:
The ilustrados led by Joaquin Pardo de Tavera were received the Governor-General in a Port of Manila full of people as they arrived from Spain a month earlier.​

Last edited:
Timeline of Events, 1873-74: Blanco Valderrama, the Caretaker (continuation)

25 February:
The Governor-General resumed the regular meetings with the Committee, almost two years after the very last meetings. On this meeting, Manuel Blanco Valderrama announced the so-called "grand plan" of Carlos Maria de la Torre: the establishment of the Junta General. On the other hand, he maintained the suspension of the inquiries and the UST conversion, citing the open hostility of the Dominican friars.​

26 February:
The Governor-General sent telegrams to the various Juntas Provinciales across the country about the continuation of the Junta General; according to original plan, Juntas Provinciales will appoint a representative to the Junta General. Nevertheless, according to the modified version, two representatives will be send by the Junta Provincial after two-thirds of the Juntas approved the top two candidates.​

1 March:
Sixty-eight representatives convened the very first session of the Junta General in the Old City of Manila. On the very first day of the session, the Governor-General announced that the selected President will be the co-head of the government and presiding the meetings. Joaquin Pardo de Tavera of Manila was selected President by two-thirds majority.​
intendencia-aduana-intramuros1.jpg

The Intendencia, the seat of the Junta General
pardodetavera.jpg

Joaquin Pardo de Tavera, the first President of the Junta General

Last edited:
I like where this is going! I wonder, what event would separate Spain from the Spanish East Indies? I am so excited. :)