Favorite WWII Aircraft

Deleted member 1487

So I'll add Just Leo's modified Fw187:

1attachment.png

Got to agree on the good Captain on this one

the De Havilland Hornet

Okay so it never saw service but it was flying around from 44

My favorite World War II plane: the de Havilland D.H. 98 Mosquito. Not only very fast for its day, but became famous in multiple roles: day and night bomber (carrying up to a single 4,000 lb. bomb--amazing for such a little plane), night fighter and specialized ground attack plane.

It was, in effect, what Messerschmitt tried to do with the Me 210/410 but actually succeeded in becoming a fast, highly-versatile combat aircraft.

My favorite World War II plane: the de Havilland D.H. 98 Mosquito. Not only very fast for its day, but became famous in multiple roles: day and night bomber (carrying up to a single 4,000 lb. bomb--amazing for such a little plane), night fighter and specialized ground attack plane.

It was, in effect, what Messerschmitt tried to do with the Me 210/410 but actually succeeded in becoming a fast, highly-versatile combat aircraft.

You're being too modest. In the maritime role, it carried the molins gun, RPs, depth charges, torpedoes and highballs. It was the weapon of choice for intercepting V-1s at night as well.

While the Falke, Whirly, Ki-83 and Hornet all showed potential, it was the P-38 Lightning that turned potential into results.

For looks, P-51 hands down.

For everything else, P-38 (& not desperately hard on the eyes, either;)), with a shoutout to the "scorpion tail" test model.:cool:

Among unbuilt types, the F4U-4D with tiptanks:p & the F2G.

One of mine favorite: La-5FN.

1_14.jpg

Czechoslovak fighters managed to dominate air over Slovakia during Uprising 1944 destroying 9 airplanes and 6 damaging in air battles and 16-20 another on the ground. In attacks against ground targets destroyed tanks, artillery pieces, vehicles etc.

Of course most of pilots were veterans Of Czechoslovak Air Force prior to 1938 as well as veterans from Battle of Poland, France, Britain as well as early attacks against German targets in France in 1941/42 and 43. Some Slovaks on other side had experience from Bf 109 as members of JG 52's 13. Slowakische Staffel on Eastern Front.

Deleted member 1487

They're in the works. (3-view) Comparison image means laying up other's images against mine. Beyond my pay grade.
You could PM a copy, just saying

Anyway any clue how much the inline engine would make a difference to drag over the radials? Or how much better performance would be with the 603G or even N given improved German fuels and supercharger?

You could PM a copy, just saying

Anyway any clue how much the inline engine would make a difference to drag over the radials? Or how much better performance would be with the 603G or even N given improved German fuels and supercharger?

I could just pop it up in the usual site, when the time is ripe.

Slight problem with the power/performance estimates. The Ha-211ru is the Army variant of the MK9A. It was rated higher than the DB-603G for T/O and altitude. Performance estimates for the DB-603N exceed the Mitsubishi's established figures. Frontal area and probable drag figures between a close-cowled radial engine and an annular rad-cooled liquid-cooled engine won't be significantly different. The DB603N provides about 200 hp more at around 32,800 feet, if it doesn't blow up.

Hallo! I love these type of threads, here I go:

1. GrummanXF5F Skyrocket

2. B25H with every gun in the world on it.

3.SBD Dauntless

4. Li-2 (DC-2or3) russan version

Skyrocket showed a lot of potential but I can see why it wasn't chosen.

Deleted member 1487

I could just pop it up in the usual site, when the time is ripe.
Sounds good. What is the usual site?

Slight problem with the power/performance estimates. The Ha-211ru is the Army variant of the MK9A. It was rated higher than the DB-603G for T/O and altitude. Performance estimates for the DB-603N exceed the Mitsubishi's established figures. Frontal area and probable drag figures between a close-cowled radial engine and an annular rad-cooled liquid-cooled engine won't be significantly different. The DB603N provides about 200 hp more at around 32,800 feet, if it doesn't blow up.
Assuming it has access to the necessary materials it shouldn't.

Runners up are the Mossy, HE 219 UHU, and other desings mentioned here.
Winnier, in my opinion, ist the ME 262, because, just look at it!

Rubicon,

The Ki-61 was a good airplane, but the poor quality of the Ha-140 and Ha-140 inline engines made it far less than an ideal fighter. It was only when the Ki-61 was re-engined with the Mitsubishi Ha-112-II radial engine that the plane finally became a highly formidable fighter--mostly because it allowed the plane to be physically lighter.

I cannot believe that the F4U Corsair has not been mentioned.

As a kid in the 1970's - the Vought 4FU Corsair was the star of its own TV Show - Baa Baa Blacksheep. Too bad it was only on air for two seasons. The plane was the star of the show, not Robert Conrad.

Great plain, great show ....

Great show even if every episode was basically the same plot, had the same combat scenes over and over again.

Rubicon

Banned
Rubicon,

The Ki-61 was a good airplane, but the poor quality of the Ha-140 and Ha-140 inline engines made it far less than an ideal fighter. It was only when the Ki-61 was re-engined with the Mitsubishi Ha-112-II radial engine that the plane finally became a highly formidable fighter--mostly because it allowed the plane to be physically lighter.

yes, so? Thread said favourite, not best.