CSA Movie--poorly researched, horribly done

Max Sinister said:
WTF? Which group ever demanded "the utter extermination of white Southerners"? C'mon, even Farrakhan isn't radical enough for that.

Wendell Phillips, IIRC, for one. John Brown and his supporters also tried to raise a slave rebellion in the South, if you will recall. If that is not a call for large-scale massacres of men, women, and children, what do you think is? Every slave revolt prior to that had resulted in such massacres, after all.

The point I was making is that these extremists existed in both sections. But these extremists were not representative of the people of the North as a whole, or even a majority of the North, just as the extremists who argued in favor of the "positive good theory" were not representative of the majority of the South or the South as a whole, as Mr. Stirling seems to think was the case.

Last edited:
robertp6165 said:
John Brown and his supporters also tried to raise a slave rebellion in the South, if you will recall. If that is not a call for large-scale massacres of men, women, and children, what do you think is? Every slave revolt prior to that had resulted in such massacres, after all.
John Brown and his followers specifically targeted slaveowners, though--the fact that armed rebellions are messy and tend to result in innocents being killed does not mean that you can equate a justifiable rebellion with an intentional campaign to exterminate innocents. If some innocent Germans got killed during the Warsaw uprising, would you say that means the planners of the uprising were genocidal extremists who wished for "the utter extermination of Aryan Germans"? Or do you think the treatment of Jews in the Warsaw ghetto justified rebellion but the treatment of black slaves in the antebellum south did not?

Jesse said:
John Brown and his followers specifically targeted slaveowners, though--the fact that armed rebellions are messy and tend to result in innocents being killed does not mean that you can equate a justifiable rebellion with an intentional campaign to exterminate innocents.

Given the actions of John Brown's men at Harper's Ferry...they even shot a black baggage master...I doubt that John Brown or his supporters would have been overly troubled by "collateral damage" when said occurred.

We also need to remember that Nat Turner, in his rebellion, issued orders to "kill all whites." It is unlikely that slaves marching under John Brown's banner would have behaved differently.

Last edited:
robertp6165 said:
Given the actions of John Brown's men at Harper's Ferry...they even shot a black baggage master...I doubt that John Brown or his supporters would have been overly troubled by "collateral damage" when said occurred.
I didn't say they were virtuous, just that there's a big difference between a callous attitude towards innocent casualties and intentionally trying to kill off every white southerner.
robertp6165 said:
We also need to remember that Nat Turner, in his rebellion, issued orders to "kill all whites." It is unlikely that slaves marching under John Brown's banner would have behaved differently.
True, in many slave rebellions the leaders advocated indiscriminate killing of whites (this was true of two of the three major rebellions mentioned here, for example, and the third wanted to kill all whites 'except French, Methodists and Quakers.') But John Brown didn't advocate this, and it's hard to know what slaves "marching under his banner" would have done--he didn't actually make much effort to alert local slaves to his plans, in an alternate history where he was more coordinated, he might have helped coordinate the attacks of the slaves as well.

Jesse said:
I didn't say they were virtuous, just that there's a big difference between a callous attitude towards innocent casualties and intentionally trying to kill off every white southerner.

I will grant you that point. But the difference is meaningless in a true sense. If one attempts to start a slave rebellion KNOWING that massacres of innocent people are going to occur...and there is simply no way that John Brown was not aware of this...then whether you actually advocated the massacres beforehand is of little import.

Tielhard said:
Completely off the subject but funny:

"Darkie Toothpaste" is a real toothpaste they sell it in Malaysia and Sri Lanka it has a picture of a 'negro minstrel' on it with a huge white smile. Very popular apparently. Leathal stuff strips the enammel away like no ones business. Poor old right on PC Teilhard nearly died when it was the only stuff he could get hold of!

They used to sell it in Singapore too- back in the mid-90's they changed the brand name to "Darlie". The new logo was of a white man in a top hat.

Geminonone said:
The issues werent seperated by the vast majority of Confederates who fought for the South -they didnt think it was evil and they knew it was what they were fighting for.

Hmmm. That must be why James McPherson, in his study of over 25,000 letters and diaries penned by soldiers of both sides, WHAT THEY FOUGHT FOR, came to the conclusion that only a small minority of Confederate soldiers were actually fighting for the preservation of slavery. The vast majority were fighting for independence, to protect their homes and families from the invading Yankees, or for other similar reasons.

Geminonone said:
Seriously right? The claim is cleary used by CSA apologists to suggest that if slavery was so bad and was all the the CSA was fighting for why would BLACK soliders fight for the CSA.

As this board's Resident Confederate Apologist...a title bestowed upon me by our esteemed Administrator, Ian...I think I am more qualified to speak on behalf of CSA apologists than you are, sir. :D

As I have stated previously in many threads whose discussion ceased long before noobs like you even realized this board existed, the institution of slavery...or more properly, the right to decide, for themselves and when they deemed it expedient, the ultimate fate of said institution...was certainly one issue (perhaps even the most important issue) which the South seceded to protect. But it was not the only issue, and as time went on, the slavery issue became less and less important. Indeed, by the end of the war, the South had actually abandoned the preservation of slavery as a war aim, and was focusing exclusively on securing independence. Indeed, as early as July 1864...well before the fall of Atlanta and the election of Lincoln sealed the fate of the Confederacy...Jefferson Davis specifically stated that slavery was no longer a war aim of the Confederacy.

Jefferson Davis said:
I tried all in my power to avert this war. I saw it coming, and for twelve years I worked night and day to prevent it, but I could not. The North was mad and blind; it would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came, and now it must go on until the last man in this generation falls in his tracks, and his children seize the musket and fight our battle, UNLESS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE OUR RIGHT TO SELF GOVERNMENT. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for Independence, and that, or extermination, we will have.

As for whether some "CSA Apologists" use the black Confederate issue for the purposes you claim, probably some of them do. But the difference between those of us who accept the reality of black Confederates and those who deny the Holocaust...which you and Mr. Stirling compare us to...is that we have a lot ofevidence on our side. Those who DENY the reality of black Confederates almost always resort to unsupported assertions and ad hominem attacks on those who bring forth evidence to the contrary.

Case in point...

Geminonone said:
If you are generous and give such people the benefit of the doubt that racism isnt the main motivation behind such support- what else could be?

What a wonderful world this would be if people could debate an honest difference of opinion without finding it necessary to question each other's motives. Name calling of this sort does nothing to promote your credibility or to enhance your argument. Grow up, dude. :rolleyes:

Confederate Constitution excerpt

Article IV
Section 2
(1) The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.
(3) No slave or other person held to service or labor in any State or Territory of the Confederate States, under the laws thereof, escaping or lawfully carried into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor; but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such slave belongs, or to whom such service or labor may be due.
State's Rights, except where slavery was concerned.

wkwillis said:
Article IV
Section 2
(1) The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.
(3) No slave or other person held to service or labor in any State or Territory of the Confederate States, under the laws thereof, escaping or lawfully carried into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor; but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such slave belongs, or to whom such service or labor may be due.
State's Rights, except where slavery was concerned.
Your understanding of what State's Rights is makes this statement so wrong.SR was based on the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the US,All rights not granted to the government by this constitution shall be reserved to the states or the people,this right was part of the CSA Constitution from the start,the Article of the CSA constitution you quoted having been granted by the states to the central government would not fall under SR.

Ghost 88 said:
Your understanding of what State's Rights is makes this statement so wrong.SR was based on the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the US,All rights not granted to the government by this constitution shall be reserved to the states or the people,this right was part of the CSA Constitution from the start,the Article of the CSA constitution you quoted having been granted by the states to the central government would not fall under SR.
Article IV
Section 2
"Sojourn" means to live there. You can't free the slaves in a Confederate State because it's against the Confederate Constitution. It's the Southerners writing Dred Scott into the Confederate constitution. Just as Dred Scott forced slavery on the Northern states, the Confederate Constitution wrote it into the Southern states in case any attempt by the locals to abolish slavery was attempted.

wkwillis said:
Article IV
Section 2
"Sojourn" means to live there. You can't free the slaves in a Confederate State because it's against the Confederate Constitution. It's the Southerners writing Dred Scott into the Confederate constitution. Just as Dred Scott forced slavery on the Northern states, the Confederate Constitution wrote it into the Southern states in case any attempt by the locals to abolish slavery was attempted.
No arguement with this statement,what I said that it is no more a violation of State's Rights then the interstate commerce clause is as IT IS PART OF THE AGREED TO CONSTITUTION at the time THE SOUTHERN STATES RATIFIED THIERS.

MrP

Banned
joatsimeon@aol.com said:
-- Face it, the Confederacy was the Evil Empire, and the (justly) Lost Cause was a stench in the nostrils of decent men.

robertp6165 said:
Ah, the screeching call of the blue-bellied Yankee Mockingbird. Let's see if we can drown out its wearisome noise with some facts, shall we? :D

While I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, I can't help but notice that not a single piece of evidence you've cited refutes the idea that "the (justly)Lost Cause was a stench in the nostrils of decent men." I'd prefer the present, rather than the imperfect, since there were decent men who supported slavery. Nowadays, however, one would be hard pressed to find any.

Since the Lost Cause is irrevocably connected with slavery surely it is forever tainted by association?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkwillis
Article IV
Section 2

Ghost 88 said:
No arguement with this statement,what I said that it is no more a violation of State's Rights then the interstate commerce clause is as IT IS PART OF THE AGREED TO CONSTITUTION at the time THE SOUTHERN STATES RATIFIED THIERS.
I don't understand your point. Could you be more specific? What part of States Right's allows the Confederacy to overrule a state on whether or not slavery is allowed in a state?
I think you are saying that it's only State's Rights under the USA constitution, but that it's not State's Rights under the CSA constitution. This seems to be what you are saying, but I would like you to clarify this point.

wkwillis said:

"Sojourn" means to reside TEMPORARILY in a place. Anyone taking up permanent residence there would have to abide by the laws of the State...including any law abolishing slavery. The provision in question similar to current laws that allow people from the cold Northern States, for example, to temporarily reside in Arizona for 6 months out of the year without having to re-register their cars in Arizona. It simply prevents a State in which you are temporarily residing from interfering with your property while you are there.

And the Dred Scott decision DID NOT force slavery on the Northern States. It simply declared that a slave owned by a citizen of a slaveholding state could not be declared free because the slave's master took him/her temporarily into a free State. The abolition of slavery in the Northern States themselves was completely unaffected.

MrP said:
While I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, I can't help but notice that not a single piece of evidence you've cited refutes the idea that "the (justly)Lost Cause was a stench in the nostrils of decent men." I'd prefer the present, rather than the imperfect, since there were decent men who supported slavery. Nowadays, however, one would be hard pressed to find any.

Since the Lost Cause is irrevocably connected with slavery surely it is forever tainted by association?

Several responses...

1) While slavery was certainly an evil institution, I think that we focus on that these days to the exclusion of everything else that was going on in American history, some of it far worse than slavery. Just to give one example...the virtually genocidal policies being followed by successive United States Governments toward the Native Americans from the inception of the republic to the early years of the 20th Century. Why is it that we have people like Mr. Stirling et al who can stand up on a soapbox and declare the Confederacy a "stench in the nostrils of decent men," yet we never hear anyone making similar statements about the U.S. government and it's atrocious conduct toward Native Americans?

2) Slavery in the Confederacy only existed for four years (it lasted 80 years under the United States); the Confederacy never imported a single slave from Africa (unlike the United States); the Confederacy was not the only slaveholding nation on the North American continent at the time (the U.S. also had slaves, and those slaves were held until after the end of the war); and the Confederacy had, by the end of the war, made the decision to abandon slavery in order to secure it's independence (something the U.S. REFUSED to do during the American Revolution). So why is the Confederacy singled out for opprobrium for the entire history of slavery in the United States?

3) As I have said elsewhere, it was not a desire to preserve the institution of slavery itself which actually was the issue driving Southern secession. If that had been the case, then they could have included a provision in the Constitution declaring that slavery could never, ever, be abolished. They didn't do that. Instead, they left the decision up to the individual States. In essence, they were simply protecting their right to handle the issue in the same manner, and for the same reasons, that the Northern States had abolished slavery...by state action, when slavery was no longer an economically profitable institution (the Northern abolitions were not driven by humanitarianism...they abolished slavery because it wasn't profitable anymore). So what they were fighting for was THE RIGHT OF SELF GOVERNMENT. And how, pray tell, does that make them a "stench in the nostrils of decent men," any more so than the Northern States who only abolished slavery when it ceased to be economically profitable for them?

Jesse said:
Not evidence that any mainstream historian finds convincing, apparently. See the response I posted on that same thread.

The "mainstream historians" who deny the existence of black Confederates also never seem to offer any actual evidence when they make their claims. They just say "It never happened," and let it go at that. Why is that?

And some of the books cited by Mr. Kelley in the article are by mainstream historians like Webb Garrison, for example.

The fact that some "mainstream historians" deny the existence of black Confederates doesn't make their opinions gospel, particularly historians who apparently don't want to be bothered to do the research necessary to confirm or deny the existence of black Confederates. The fact that well over 500 pensions were issued beginning in the 1920s (when almost all the Confederate veterans were already dead) to former black Confederate soldiers by Tennessee and Mississippi alone...and that is not counting the other states...certainly indicates that there must have been tens of thousands serving during the war. There simply would not have been that many black veterans still living by the 1920s in those 2 states were it otherwise.

robertp6165 said:
The "mainstream historians" who deny the existence of black Confederates also never seem to offer any actual evidence when they make their claims.
Really? This page which I linked to earlier offers a number of pieces of evidence, such as:
hese are the basic historical facts concerning supposed Black Confederate soldiers. The primary fact was that the Confederate Congress was up until the last few weeks of the Civil War dead set against it. A section following will cover the Confederate Congressional Record in detail, but here the facts can be summarized.

The American Civil War lasted from April 12, 1861 with the bombardment of Fort Sumter and ending on April 9, 1865 with the surrender of Robert E. Lee at Appomattox. The Confederate Congressional Record shows that the use of African Americans was authorized as cooks, nurses, wagoners, and other like tasks. The use of African Americans as soldiers by the American army upset them to the point that they passed legislation to sell captured African Americans into slavery and execute their white commanding officers. In actual fact, in many cases captured African Americans were massacred in sometimes deliberately cruel and horrible ways.
If the South allowed free black men to serve in their own regiments, why would they react this way to the use of free black men in Northern regiments? Do you dispute that such legislation was in fact passed by the Confederate Congress? You can see excerpts from the Confederate Congressional Record here, which includes the following plans for retaliation against Northerners who include black men in their ranks:
Confederate Congressional Record said:
Mr. Hill, from the Committee on the Judiciary, to whom was referred the bill (S.53) to deprive negroes and mulattoes taken in arms against the Confederate States of the rights and immunities of prisoners of war, and to sell them into perpetual slavery where no person claims right of property in them, reported it with an amendment.

2. That, in the judgment of Congress, the proclamations of the President of the United States, dated, respectively, September 22, 1862, and January 1, 1863, and the other measures of the Government of the United States and of its authorities, commanders, and forces, designed or tending to emancipate slavers in the Confederate States, or to abduct such slavers, or to incite them to insurrection, or to employ negroes in war against the Confederate States, or to overthrow the institution of African slavery and bring on a servile war in these States, would, if successful, produce atrocious consequences, and they are inconsistent with the spirit of those usages which in modern warfare prevail among civilized nations. They may, therefore, be properly and lawfully repressed by retaliation.

4.That every white person, being a commissioned officer, or acting as such, who during the present war shall command negroes or mulattoes in arms against the Confederate States, or who shall arm, train, organize, or prepare negroes or mulattoes for military service against the Confederate states, or who shall voluntarily aid negroes or mulattoes in any military enterprise, attack, or conflict in such service, shall be deemed as inciting servile insurrection or who shall incite or cause to be incited a slave to rebel shall, if captured, be put to death or be otherwise punished, at the discretion of the court.
Back to evidence against black Confederates from the article:
As late as Nov. 8, 1864 the Confederate House of Representatives passes a resolution stating that the "general levy and arming of slaves for duty of soldiers would be inexpedient" and "to employ as a soldier the negro, … would neither be wise nor advantageous."
Note that this quote argued against employing as a soldier "the negro", which would cover free blacks as well as slaves.
The other basic fact is that the United Confederate Veterans, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Sons of Confederate Veterans, The Museum of the Confederacy, and numerous Confederate veteran authors did not mention black Confederate soldiers until very recently. It seems they have sprung to life only since an effort has been started to remove Confederate flags from public places in the South. Neo-Confederates like to claim that "Northerners" are to blame to suppressing this fact. How these "Northerners" could tell these organizations what to print or believe is difficult if not impossible to conceive.

Also, who could tell Mildred Rutherford, historian general of the UDC and dozens of other apologists for the Confederacy what to say. No one suppressed the scathing slanders they said against Abraham Lincoln. Certainly these organizations who made great emphasis on the loyal slave and servant during the Civil War would have been eager to make mention of black Confederate soldiers.
Do you agree that the records of confederate veterans' organizations historically made no mention of black confederates?
Finally if there were Black Confederate soldiers, where is the record of Black Confederate prisoners of war, Black Confederate casualties, or wounded Black Confederate soldiers? Where are the war diaries, memoirs, of a single black Confederate soldier?
This lack of documentary evidence from the time, as opposed to anecdotal evidence (which in many cases heard secondhand, which does not necessarily distinguish between black soldiers and blacks serving as cooks, laborers, etc., and which almost invariable involves whites recounting stories of black confederates rather than black confederates speaking for themselves), would obviously be pretty significant to historians.
robertp6165 said:
And some of the books cited by Mr. Kelley in the article are by mainstream historians like Webb Garrison, for example.
And what specific information is he citing? Do any of these books support the claim of large numbers of black Confederates?
robertp6165 said:
The fact that well over 500 pensions were issued beginning in the 1920s (when almost all the Confederate veterans were already dead) to former black Confederate soldiers by Tennessee and Mississippi alone...and that is not counting the other states...certainly indicates that there must have been tens of thousands serving during the war. There simply would not have been that many black veterans still living by the 1920s in those 2 states were it otherwise.
Were pensions exclusively given to people who had served as soldiers, or were they also given to people who served the Confederate army in other capacities? If you say it's the former, can you give some evidence of this?

Jesse said:
Really? This page which I linked to earlier offers a number of pieces of evidence, such as:

Yes, lets take a look at this "evidence," shall we?

Jesse said:
If the South allowed free black men to serve in their own regiments, why would they react this way to the use of free black men in Northern regiments? Do you dispute that such legislation was in fact passed by the Confederate Congress?

This legislation came about as a result of the Emancipation Proclamation, which was viewed in the South as an incitement for slave rebellion, and black Union soldiers were viewed as slaves in rebellion against the Confederacy. Black soldiers serving the Confederacy were viewed as Confederate soldiers, not slaves in rebellion. One can accept black men serving in one's own regiments while being angry that the enemy would try to raise a slave rebellion against you.

Jesse said:
Note that this quote argued against employing as a soldier "the negro", which would cover free blacks as well as slaves.

Actually what the quote says is saying that a "GENERAL LEVY and arming of slaves as soldiers would be inexpedient." You have to twist things around a bit to apply what the Congressional resolution said to service by free blacks. The part where it says "negroes" instead of slaves is clearly cherry picked and edited (note that we don't see the beginning of the sentence and also the "..." in the middle of it). What the Congress was saying was that to conscript and arm large number of slaves would not be a good idea. It doesn't say that small numbers (and believe it or not, 45,000 to 90,000 is a small number when you consider that about 1 million men served in the Confederate army during the course of the war) would be a bad idea, or that such were banned.

Jesse said:
Do you agree that the records of confederate veterans' organizations historically made no mention of black confederates?

No. Especially since the United Confederate Veterans HAD BLACK MEMBERS!

Also, it is amusing that you should bring forth this quotation...

The other basic fact is that the United Confederate Veterans, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Sons of Confederate Veterans, The Museum of the Confederacy, and numerous Confederate veteran authors did not mention black Confederate soldiers until very recently....Certainly these organizations who made great emphasis on the loyal slave and servant during the Civil War would have been eager to make mention of black Confederate soldiers.

when, on another thread, you also posted this quote...

Check the date of a publication and its author(such as Charles Wesley) and note the publication source. The height of the reconciliation period, where both the North and South sought to paper over their past differences, was 1880-1920. The South sought justification for its actions and the loss by creating the fiction of the Lost Cause; the North looked the other way and didn't challenge this patent nonsense (or the growth of Jim Crow laws and the KKK) in order to achieve the larger goal of an effective mending of the body politic. Much nonsense was published during this period and it must be closely examined for its accuracy.

So on the one hand, you are saying that the fact that Confederate organizations supposedly didn't publish material in the late 19th Century and early 20th century documenting Black Confederate service disproves the notion of black Confederates. And then on the other, you are saying that if they did publish such material, it was only because they were "creating the fiction of the Lost Cause?" So basically you're saying they're damned if they do and damned if they don't, is that it? Respectfully, sir, you can't argue both sides of the fence and you can't have it both ways. :rolleyes:

Jesse said:
Finally if there were Black Confederate soldiers, where is the record of Black Confederate prisoners of war, Black Confederate casualties, or wounded Black Confederate soldiers? Where are the war diaries, memoirs, of a single black Confederate soldier? This lack of documentary evidence from the time, as opposed to anecdotal evidence (which in many cases heard secondhand, which does not necessarily distinguish between black soldiers and blacks serving as cooks, laborers, etc., and which almost invariable involves whites recounting stories of black confederates rather than black confederates speaking for themselves), would obviously be pretty significant to historians.

There is documentary evidence of black Confederate prisoners of war and black Confederate casualties in the piece by Michael Kelley which you have attacked. There is also testimony given by black Confederate soldiers themselves. It truely amazes me how one can read this piece, see the evidence, and still deny the existence of the evidence. Obviously you have a dread malady called "Selective Vision Disorder" (a mental block which prevents you from seeing things that might challenge your own belief system). Or perhaps it is a case of Closed Mind Disease (a condition which prevents the mind from absorbing information contrary to one's own belief system)? Either way, it is preventing you from recognizing what has been clearly documented for you.

And as far as whether the evidence distinguishes between "black soldiers and blacks serving as cooks, laborers, etc.," I would argue that there is no real difference. There were men who served in the Union Army who were assigned as cooks, teamsters, farriers, hospital orderlies, musicians, etc. All of these men wore blue uniforms and are considered soldiers, even though they rarely, if ever, engaged in combat. Why is it that a white man wearing a blue suit doing these duties is a soldier, and a black man wearing a gray suit is not? Methinks there is a double standard in play here.

Jesse said:
And what specific information is he [Webb Garrison] citing? Do any of these books support the claim of large numbers of black Confederates?

Why don't you read it for yourself? Oh, that's right...since you have a severe case of either "S.V.D." (Selective Vision Disorder) or "C.M.D." (Closed Mind Disease), you probably couldn't see the passages cited by Mr. Kelley anyway, so it's probably a useless exercise for you. :cool:

Jesse said:
Were pensions exclusively given to people who had served as soldiers, or were they also given to people who served the Confederate army in other capacities? If you say it's the former, can you give some evidence of this?

See above. Also, black historian Ervin Jordan, author of BLACK CONFEDERATES AND AFRO YANKEES IN VIRGINIA, points out that "During my research, I came across instances where Black men stated they were soldiers, but you can plainly see where ‘soldier’ is crossed out and ‘body servant’ inserted, or ‘teamster’ on pension applications.” So even if blacks were soldiers, the white authorities who administered pension applications were covering that fact up.

Last edited: