Crusader Kings III

What do you mean? Has the vanilla Barbershop ever enabled you to change the color of clothing? As far as I’m aware, only Better Barbershop allowed this. It would be a shame if they removed it.
I did some digging and you were right about that, I had forgotten all about that mod. I did have it on my list of mods but for some reason it got turned off.

I made a save with the Bosnians, And there were very interesting divergences, the Ottomans took the path IRL, They conquered all of Anatolia and made an empire, then conquered Thessaloniki from the Byzantine Empire, And they conquered a large part of the Bulgarian empire, walacchia, Then they conquered Constantinople, The Hungarians stopped two raids by the beys (The sublime port kind of started not to care about the Balkans, with most of the conquests coming from the initiatives of the beys of Thessaloniki and Bulgaria) The first with the aim of conquering all of Hungary, and the second with the aim of conquering part of the duchy of Oltenia that was under Hungarian suzerainty, Then there was a varna crusade ITTL but With the Objective of conquering Anatolia (Strange, right, but I think it was because there was a part of Anatolia that was Venetian and the Venetians converted the local population, so it was probably due to these Catholics) With the crusaders winning, For some strategic reason they did not attack the Balkans, and carried out an amphibious attack in cilicia, The Ottoman troops took a long time to reach the Crusaders, With the armies of the local beys being decimated, but The Ottomans remain the main threat to Europe, the sultan alone has the capacity to raise close to 60 thousand soldiers, not counting the individual armies of each bey ( I installed the mod more interactive vassals that Make the vassal fight in ofensive And Defensive Sovereign War), No European monarch can match him, the closest is the king of france 51 thousand soldiers , Both the Holy Emperor and the King of castille (Who inherited Portugal, conquered Granada and Valencia ) alone managed to put up 40, 45 thousand soldiers on average.

In Persia, the Mongol-Chinese Yuan rule weakened and Persia became fragmented, But the descendants of Temujin's brother qasar, who were in Khorasan, managed to conquer the fragmented Mongol states in Persia And conquered the mesopatamia, This Mongol empire has a large army, That counting the Khan and his vassals can easily reach 100 thousand soldiers, North India was dominated and Islamized by the Turks, the Tughluqi empire An immense empire that stretches from Makran to Gujurat and Multani in India , With an army that easily exceeds 100 thousand soldiers, Despite this, they lost the region of Fars to the Mongol Empire, In southern India the Telugu and Tamil peoples fight against the Tughluqi, their vassals and the bahmanid kingdom (in the region of maharastra) A Muslim kingdom that lies between the Tughluqi and southern India.

Does anyone know where I might find a map of Europe in 1178? Given that's the new start date in the next CK3 DLC I'm curious as to what it looks like (and also struggling to find a map of it).

Also, with the next DLC, I've realised what I'm sure many others have as well - the new landless imperial administration lends itself towards republics pretty well, and, on top of that, there was mention of being able to play as an unlanded mercenary and lead a company, which I think could swing towards proper nomad mechanics too (especially if your 'base' is a mobile camp).

Does anyone know where I might find a map of Europe in 1178? Given that's the new start date in the next CK3 DLC I'm curious as to what it looks like (and also struggling to find a map of it).
My easy solution would be to simply launch CK2 and start in 1178 or make a screenshot of that start date. Won't be a 100% accurate, but you should get a rough idea of what you could see in CK3.

EDIT: Just launched CK2 and took a map screenshot.
CK2_1178.jpg

Also, with the next DLC, I've realised what I'm sure many others have as well - the new landless imperial administration lends itself towards republics pretty well, and, on top of that, there was mention of being able to play as an unlanded mercenary and lead a company, which I think could swing towards proper nomad mechanics too (especially if your 'base' is a mobile camp).
Indeed.

I'm also curious to see if there is a way to simulate the transition from feudalism to modern states. After all, Medieval Europe in the XIIth century is very different from the one we had in 1453 in terms of organization. Adding landless adminsitration seems like the perfect way to simulate the growing centralization like the one France went through under Philip Augustus and his successors, with royal adminstration developping and gradually overpower Feudal lords.

You probably can also simulate other forms of government beyond Republics and Nomads... Theocracies could sort-of become playable or at least you could get the option to play something akin to one of the noble houses sworn to the service of the Papal states. Maybe even Knightly Orders. It will depend on how the mechanics works exactly and what modders could do with it.

If I'm honest though, the reason the features makes me really excited are the RP possibilities. No longer a need to replace an existing ruling lord, you can now simply start as a member of their court, a mercenary captain, etc... And that's before going into mods.

Last edited:
My easy solution would be to simply launch CK2
I don't have it, so thanks for doing the work for me! It will be fun to be able to just start as an English character instead of having to choose Norman or Anglo-Saxon. And already having all that land in France. Or being able to start in the Kingdom of Jerusalem, that will be fun too. And that's even without considering the landless gameplay.

Theocracies could sort-of become playable or at least you could get the option to play something akin to one of the noble houses sworn to the service of the Papal states.
I've honestly never understood the full appeal of playable theocracies. I think religion needs a big expansion in general, such as the College of Cardinals, more flavour for Orthodoxy, less identical events between wildly different religions (a big disappointment in Tours and Tournaments - a Norse pagan wedding, Islamic wedding, and Christian wedding should not all be identical, and on the smaller end of the scale I doubt the largely illiterate peoples of pagan Norway are going to be using written books to seduce women, especially not Beowulf or Travels to Jerusalem). However, actually playing as a theocratic state seems pointless. Republics aren't dynastic but you have the challenge of making them dynastic, while at the same time pursuing landless gameplay when you fail to secure leadership of the state. Nomads have obvious benefits to gameplay, such as mobile capitals, and migratory CB's (how fun would it be to establish a Buddhist Mongolic state in Italy or something). Theocracies though - you rule for life then die. I guess you could continue playing as the next guy, but frankly I'm more interested in trying to make my bastard son into a pope or something.
Maybe even Knightly Orders.
Well, they have said that they have no intension of making baronies playable, which possibly puts a damper on this. However, seeing as we're probably going to be able to play as mercenary companies, I wouldn't discount it entirely.

I've honestly never understood the full appeal of playable theocracies.
I think it's just that people like to have tons of options available to them and want all governments to be playable.

Admittedly, we're also in a time period where society is by and large divided into the three orders of Nobility, Clergy and Third Estate. It feels weird to give the player the option to play Nobles or Commoners but not Priests.
I think religion needs a big expansion in general, such as the College of Cardinals, more flavour for Orthodoxy, less identical events between wildly different religions (a big disappointment in Tours and Tournaments - a Norse pagan wedding, Islamic wedding, and Christian wedding should not all be identical, and on the smaller end of the scale I doubt the largely illiterate peoples of pagan Norway are going to be using written books to seduce women, especially not Beowulf or Travels to Jerusalem)
Agree with this.
However, actually playing as a theocratic state seems pointless. Republics aren't dynastic but you have the challenge of making them dynastic, while at the same time pursuing landless gameplay when you fail to secure leadership of the state. Nomads have obvious benefits to gameplay, such as mobile capitals, and migratory CB's (how fun would it be to establish a Buddhist Mongolic state in Italy or something). Theocracies though - you rule for life then die. I guess you could continue playing as the next guy, but frankly I'm more interested in trying to make my bastard son into a pope or something.
The thing with Theocracies is that they're a state run by religious authorities, but where you still have non-clergy people in positions of authorities such as army commanders, governors, administrative personnel, etc... If you make landless characters playable, there are probably ways to simulate that.

Theocracies can also be dynastic if priests are allowed to marry. And even if they weren't, that doesn't mean you can't have dynastic intrigues: Nepotism was always a big problem in the Church, and the various Papal Elections often saw meddling from the roman nobility. So you could actually get to make your bastard son into the Pope in alternative ways beyond the "let's just crown an Anti-Pope" move...

Essentially, theocracies could have an interest if you bother looking into the temporal side of things. The spiritual side could use some work as well, but that would probably need unique mechanics and a way to make playable priests a thing. That would probably need more work than what is planned.
Well, they have said that they have no intension of making baronies playable, which possibly puts a damper on this. However, seeing as we're probably going to be able to play as mercenary companies, I wouldn't discount it entirely.
Don't really need to be in control of baronnies to simulate Holy Orders: just a way to simulate things like the Templars' Commanderies. The fact we have estates comming for byzantine administration could open the possibility to do that.

Now the thing is that Holy Orders would probably need mechanics to simulate a form of dynastic play... Vows of Chastity will be a bit of a problem otherwise... I'm not sure all Holy Orders enforced celibacy but given they're usualy described as "monk-soldiers" and followed monastic rules, it feels like it was pretty common. That of course only applies to Christian Holy Orders.

Now the thing is that Holy Orders would probably need mechanics to simulate a form of dynastic play... Vows of Chastity will be a bit of a problem otherwise... I'm not sure all Holy Orders enforced celibacy but given they're usualy described as "monk-soldiers" and followed monastic rules, it feels like it was pretty common. That of course only applies to Christian Holy Orders.

The problem is that non Christian Holy Orders is ahistorical, yes the Jomsvikings and Assassins existed but they were very different from the Christian ones while those orders which formed territorial states like the Teutonic Knights or Hospitallers were structurally different from the Templars.

Folks, we've got a date. Roads to power is coming September 24.
Ugh so long to wait. I was hoping for early July.

I'm excited. Everyone always says "don't get hyped" for CK3 DLC but honestly none of them has disappointed me thus far. I loved Tours and Tourneys and Legends of the Dead. I admittedly haven't played Legacy of Persia much, but that's largely because I struggle to understand the clan and taxation system (and in saying that, I tend to avoid any involvement in Iberia, too, because of the struggle; in a recent game I married one of my sons to the young Duchess of Barcelona to establish my dynasty there but got dragged into a bunch of wars which was super annoying).

I think my first landless campaign will be Norman Africa at a 1066 start. I'll try and make myself a powerful adventurer-for-hire and then launch my own personal crusade there. Before that though I'll check out the 1178 map and see what's different, possibly start there as an upstart English count and make myself king (I can do that already, obviously, but I'm looking forward to actually starting as English instead of Anglo-Saxon and hoping the Bastard wins to make me English).

Ugh so long to wait. I was hoping for early July.

I'm excited. Everyone always says "don't get hyped" for CK3 DLC but honestly none of them has disappointed me thus far. I loved Tours and Tourneys and Legends of the Dead. I admittedly haven't played Legacy of Persia much, but that's largely because I struggle to understand the clan and taxation system (and in saying that, I tend to avoid any involvement in Iberia, too, because of the struggle; in a recent game I married one of my sons to the young Duchess of Barcelona to establish my dynasty there but got dragged into a bunch of wars which was super annoying).

I think my first landless campaign will be Norman Africa at a 1066 start. I'll try and make myself a powerful adventurer-for-hire and then launch my own personal crusade there. Before that though I'll check out the 1178 map and see what's different, possibly start there as an upstart English count and make myself king (I can do that already, obviously, but I'm looking forward to actually starting as English instead of Anglo-Saxon and hoping the Bastard wins to make me English).
Yeah, so was I, but I kinda anticipated that it would be in November, right in time for Black Friday. Personally I think I'm doing an Norman Kingdom of Jerusalem, that or a Indian Somalia?

Do you think landless will be DLC only, or is it going to be added for free?
Depends on wether or not landless play is meant to be an option for everybody or if it's restricted. If the latter, it's probably going to be paid DLC content.

I could see part of the landless play being in the free patch if it's meant to be universal though. However, I'd still expect some of the content to be locked as part of the DLC. Given it's centered on Byzantium for example, you probably can't play an Imperial administrator without buying the DLC.
do you have to do anything special for the ones you dont want to pay for?
Free patches are always released at the same time as their DLCs in a free update. Paying for the DLC just unlocks the exclusive content linked to that DLC.

I could see part of the landless play being in the free patch if it's meant to be universal though. However, I'd still expect some of the content to be locked as part of the DLC. Given it's centered on Byzantium for example, you probably can't play an Imperial administrator without buying the DLC.
If I was going to put a bet on it, I'd say general "landless adventurer" gameplay is free, and "Byzantine" gameplay is PDLC.

Dev Diary 148 is out. It's the first half of a couple of dev diaries around the way Administrative governments work.

Some bullet points:
  • The new Administrative government is inspired by Byzantium but not just by it. It also appears it won't be restricted to only Byzantium: the Byzantines are the only ones that will start with it BUT it seems you can work your way towards adopting the government. Which means the transition from Feudalism to Centralization will be possible if you play your cards right. We'll have to wait for the next Dev Diary to know exactly how.
  • New type of title: Noble Family. It's held by the House Head and Duchy-level. They can create cadet branch far more easily. They don't have to own land to be playable, but should the administrative realm they are part of collapse, they lose everything. Adventurers will likely be explored in a later Dev Diary, so we'll have to see if your empire collapsing means you can still leave with a part of the riches you used to own...
  • Noble families are rated depending on a certain number of criterias, to simulate various levels of influence they actually hold, from mere civil servants to the actual true power behind the throne.
  • It's possible to pick a sort of focus on what your noble family specializes in. Are they Diplomats? Commanders? Socialites? You decide.
  • A new ressource: Influence. It's mostly used in political maneuvering. It's earned through various means, such as being a councilor, acting as a governor, securing alliances and improving your estates. As for how you can spend it: you can ask to be named on the council, have people join factions or form alliances, petition your liege or bolster governance.
  • The Dev Diary has also some details on how Estates work and what you can do with it.
Frankly, this looks amazing and promising. The game feels as if it's going to be a lot more about politics than it currently is.
And the modding possibilities look just as awesome as one could expect when the DLC was announced.