Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Speaking of the GOT mod, they're in dire need of volunteers to design flags for Essos. I know some folks here excel at that sort of thing, so they might want to check out their forum.

You have an odd life, sir.

Being an evil overlord is a curse, my good man. You get all this power, all this glory, all the hammy speeches - but every now and then you feel the urge to go a-conquering, just to pass the time, when all the murder and rape and vague threats simply don't do it anymore. And, before you can say "initiative," some run-of-the-mill hero comes along with his party and kills you.

My geography may be a bit off but is that desert region in the Siberia map "Xinjiang"? Does anyone know if it will have any playable character or is it like a no mans land?

Krall

Banned
I only care about India so far as it gives more buffer space between me and the Mongols. D:

Even though the Mongols didn't conquer India in OTL?

My geography may be a bit off but is that desert region in the Siberia map "Xinjiang"? Does anyone know if it will have any playable character or is it like a no mans land?

It's roughly Xinjiang, yes, and it doesn't look like there are any proper provinces there, so I think it is a no man's land I'm afraid.

Even though the Mongols didn't conquer India in OTL?

It's roughly Xinjiang, yes, and it doesn't look like there are any proper provinces there, so I think it is a no man's land I'm afraid.
Theres a lot of places the Mongols never conquered OTL, yet that doesnt seem to stop them in game from rolling into say Scandinavia or Greece.

Krall

Banned
Theres a lot of places the Mongols never conquered OTL, yet that doesnt seem to stop them in game from rolling into say Scandinavia or Greece.

I was more trying to point out that India isn't between you and the Mongols - the Mongols got to Europe without going through India in OTL. :p

dead_wolf

Banned
Finally got it all patched and DLC'd.

Any good recommendations for Orthodox characters?

The Wiki has a list.

I've played a 1066 Bulgarian Restoration under Kometopulis, which is fun, but a lot of the initial gameplay will depend on factors mostly outside of your control, like how badly the Byzantine Emperor screws up the empire and what opportunities and alliances that presents you with. Ultimately I ended up Bulgarian King and Byzantine Emperor, and from there the game became another stereotypical byz-wank. Which most Orthodox games end up being really - you're either involved with the ERE in some fashion, or you're trying to unify the Rus lands & build up for the inevitable Mongol Invasions. Either way most Orthodox games feel the same, IMHO.

Last edited:
Speaking of, in my current HIP game, Switzerland is totally balkanized. Thing is, Orthodox counts from Croatia and former Avaria are in control. I think they must have been absorbed by Lombardia after the Magyars (and later, oddly enough, Pechenegs) swept in, and then gotten on the King's good side somehow and been allowed to obtain the titles. I assume, anyway- the Avarian diaspora is massive... in my own lands, three families exist and one owns Mann, while other families have holdings in both Francias. Anyhow, the lands aforementioned in the Alps are now very Orthodox and one is even Croatian culture. Point is, in the end, there are other things to do with Orthodox characters... specially in 867, what with Sicilian Greeks, Chromatia, Bulgaria and their kin, and all the wee Croatian states. It's even possible- and good fun- to convert from one of the pagan religions, and having a Orthodox Poland or Bohemia... or something exotic, like a Norse-gone-Orthodox state which has conquered something in Africa.

I think I am going to start a game with the sole purpose of destroying the ERE.

Suggestions short of th Mongol horde?