Cato's Cavalry

Oh Please, you sound likely stepsons, the beer snobs. "if you can taste the beer through the hops, then there aren't enough hops"
Uh, no. There is a bit of room between being a "beer snob" and expecting good writing, without glaring plotholes. Really, it is just a question of taking care in crafting the story, as well as bouncing the ideas off of someone who isn't your agent or some other yes man.

the reason that I am down on GOT is because of the lazy plot lines and world building, his treatment of religion is especially weak and in feudal societies religion is very very important. I can be a snob lol! its just that for the last twenty years plus i have been reading fantasy that pees all over GOT. It would not have even been published or made into a tv series without lord of the rings films! The same applies to the Harry potter-clones such as Golden compass etc that came out trying to gain a fraction of the Potter wagon cash trough! I have read both series back to back and there is not one original idea in all of them!!! it is just repackaged to appeal to the mass moron market, like i say I am a snob, I dont mind plotholes if the actual plot is original not a total rehash of my fav childhood books and fantasy worlds! with the walking dead series the comics were good, the Tv tripe only serves as a sleep aide for me! I grew up on the classics! if you want to watch kickass modern zombie stuff i recommend the french film the Horde or the Cuban Juan of the Dead (a take on shaun of the dead but much much funnier and has the best mass zombie slaughter scene ever!) there are a few good english language ones as well. for books i recommend the black tide rising series most realistic Zombie books I have ever read (and I have read a few lol) hey the internet is for crazy wierdo snobs like myself! not just naked ladies and kitten videos!

While the GoT conversation is all well and good, might it be better suited to a GoT thread than on an unrelated thread where the constant updates are giving some of us false hope that there's a story update?

Sorry to be that guy.

Thanks.

Krishna I stopped reading GOT midway into the third book and I agree with you about the Black Tide Rising Books. I also agree with Dan about this thread, which I hope that alone with a couple of others of his threads Mr Jones continues.

sorry! still I am also looking forward to the next post in my favorite King Arthur timeline! The different world that the early invention of the stirrup has created is pretty cool and was the first timeline that I started reading! one question without going through it all again does Islam still exist in this new world?

The butterflies are pretty extreme, I doubt Islam will exist ITTL. Even if they did the Roman world is a hell of a lot more robust than it was historically. I can picture the Western Empire and its various breakaway states working with the Eastern Empire to beat down the heathen Arabs.

The butterflies are pretty extreme, I doubt Islam will exist ITTL. Even if they did the Roman world is a hell of a lot more robust than it was historically. I can picture the Western Empire and its various breakaway states working with the Eastern Empire to beat down the heathen Arabs.

If Judaism and Christianity exist ITTL then there is no reason for Islam not to exist either. The Romans empire is lasting longer but is fragmenting. There is space for another Ibrahimic faith still.

If Judaism and Christianity exist ITTL then there is no reason for Islam not to exist either. The Romans empire is lasting longer but is fragmenting. There is space for another Ibrahimic faith still.
Judaism and Christianity both existed before the POD.

There's space for something. There's likely to be something that comes out of Arabia at some stage. Whether whatever-it-is looks very like Islam as we know it (and when it appears) are very much up for grabs, however.

the reason that I am down on GOT is because of the lazy plot lines and world building, his treatment of religion is especially weak and in feudal societies religion is very very important. I can be a snob lol! its just that for the last twenty years plus i have been reading fantasy that pees all over GOT. It would not have even been published or made into a tv series without lord of the rings films! The same applies to the Harry potter-clones such as Golden compass etc that came out trying to gain a fraction of the Potter wagon cash trough! I have read both series back to back and there is not one original idea in all of them!!! it is just repackaged to appeal to the mass moron market, like i say I am a snob, I dont mind plotholes if the actual plot is original not a total rehash of my fav childhood books and fantasy worlds! with the walking dead series the comics were good, the Tv tripe only serves as a sleep aide for me! I grew up on the classics! if you want to watch kickass modern zombie stuff i recommend the french film the Horde or the Cuban Juan of the Dead (a take on shaun of the dead but much much funnier and has the best mass zombie slaughter scene ever!) there are a few good english language ones as well. for books i recommend the black tide rising series most realistic Zombie books I have ever read (and I have read a few lol) hey the internet is for crazy wierdo snobs like myself! not just naked ladies and kitten videos!

I only watch Game of Thrones for the sex, nudity, and that one real short guy...

Judaism and Christianity both existed before the POD.

There's space for something. There's likely to be something that comes out of Arabia at some stage. Whether whatever-it-is looks very like Islam as we know it (and when it appears) are very much up for grabs, however.
The Western Empire may have broken up in Europe but so far as I remember is still in control of North Africa and in a position to reinforce Egypt if or when the Arabs come rampaging out of Arabia. The Post Romans will be able to catch the Arabs in between the forces of the West in Egypt and the forces of the East in Anatolia and Syria. I don't see Islam as being a major force in the Mediterranean World. Islam will still be a force in the Indian Ocean but with the Classical World less impacted may not be able to overrun Persia.

It all depends on the ongoing situation between the Byzantnes and the Achæmids.

Its true that the relationship between the Eastern Romans and the current Persian Dynasty will be important
but at the date the ATL has reached that Dynasty is the Sassanids
with the probable ruler Khusrau the Just aka the Immortal Soul.

They were a very different beast to the Persians of 800 years previously, both politically and militarily.
Even more so if Catos stirrups have become widespread since their main weapon was the Deghan, essentially a better version of the medieval knight that served as the inspiration for the better known Byzantine Cataphract

Last edited:
Probably how to get 5 different emperors onto the throne at the same time, and drain the maximum amount of gold into the personal coffers of the various regional governors.