Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Hey @President_Lincoln this has probably been one of those discussed but bear with me. Oliver Stone has served in Cambodia like he served in Vietnam but my question is, how would you say Cambodia has impacted him ITTL vs how Vietnam impacted him IOTL?

Greetings all! I hope all is well with all of you.

I plan on posting an update sometime before the end of this week (probably Thursday or Friday). I would also like to try and get the Closer to Home (Redux) microhistory thread recommended by @LordYam up and running sometime soon. I can't promise that I will produce a ton of content for that thread right away, as I am absolutely swamped with work, graduate school, and just trying to keep up with the primary thread. But I would like to launch it before it gets set too far back on the backburner with a lot of other ideas.

So what is Blue Skies in Camelot: Closer to Home?

This spin-off is an attempt at a microhistory companion to the primary thread(s) for this timeline.

For those uninitiated, microhistory refers to history that closely examines specific people, places, and events that help to contextualize the broader trends explored by macro-history. Because the primary timeline mostly focuses on major events and historical personalities, the everyday folks who inhabit the world of the timeline can be and sometimes are lost in the shuffle. In order to explore how the changes present in Blue Skies in Camelot affects life for everyday people, I would very much like to write little microhistories and vignettes set in this world.

I would also *drumroll, please* like to invite all of you to join me in this as well.

What do you mean?

I would like to open Closer to Home (Redux) to submissions from you, my beloved audience. I invite you to create your own original characters, events, and stories that are more common and everyday than the big picture stuff that gets covered in the updates here on the primary thread. You could submit a character alone, or an idea for an event, or even an entire town to populate with as many people as you please. Really, this is meant to be a fun, interactive creative exercise more than anything, a chance to collaborate and fill in the gaps provided by the "top down" view of history.

Are there any guidelines or suggestions for submissions?

Just a few basics:
  • Start simple. Create a character, or a family of characters. Explore who they are, where they live. Then, begin to consider how the events of Blue Skies in Camelot might have impacted their lives. That said, feel free to think a little bigger. You could write short "snapshots"/vignettes/memoirs of that character, or full life stories if you wish. Let your imagination be your guide.

• Your character/event/location should not divert significantly from the "canon" of Blue Skies in Camelot. Obviously, I give you creative license within reason, but I ultimately retain final creative control and edit privileges. If I feel that your submission doesn't quite fit into the world, I may ask you to consider edits.

• Please be respectful of other users' ideas and submission. It takes a great deal of courage to share your thoughts with others on the internet. It requires that you make yourself vulnerable in front of strangers. I should know. I've been doing it for more than six years now. We're taking time out of our busy lives to create this world together. This is supposed to be fun. :)

• Your submission MUST NOT violate any rules/guidelines put in place by the site. Follow the rules people!

Where will it be located?

I'm open to suggestions on this. I suspect that the concept might make the thread a better fit for Shared Worlds, rather than Post-1900 Discussion. But feel free to let me know what you think!
I love this idea, I'll try and come up with ideas for it. Can't wait to see what everybody comes up for it

That all sounds pretty interesting!
Thanks! :) Glad you think so.

Hey @President_Lincoln this has probably been one of those discussed but bear with me. Oliver Stone has served in Cambodia like he served in Vietnam but my question is, how would you say Cambodia has impacted him ITTL vs how Vietnam impacted him IOTL?
No worries. I would say that Stone's experience in Cambodia ITTL was similar to his experience in Vietnam IOTL. One major difference I can see is Stone being less prone to believing conspiracy theories than he is IOTL. I respect Stone as a filmmaker, but his takes on some issues are... less than well-supported, in my opinion anyway.

I love this idea, I'll try and come up with ideas for it. Can't wait to see what everybody comes up for it
Thank you! :D

I plan on posting an update sometime before the end of this week (probably Thursday or Friday). I would also like to try and get the Closer to Home (Redux) microhistory thread recommended by @LordYam up and running sometime soon. I can't promise that I will produce a ton of content for that thread right away, as I am absolutely swamped with work, graduate school, and just trying to keep up with the primary thread. But I would like to launch it before it gets set too far back on the backburner with a lot of other ideas.

This spin-off is an attempt at a microhistory companion to the primary thread(s) for this timeline.

For those uninitiated, microhistory refers to history that closely examines specific people, places, and events that help to contextualize the broader trends explored by macro-history. Because the primary timeline mostly focuses on major events and historical personalities, the everyday folks who inhabit the world of the timeline can be and sometimes are lost in the shuffle. In order to explore how the changes present in Blue Skies in Camelot affects life for everyday people, I would very much like to write little microhistories and vignettes set in this world.

I would also *drumroll, please* like to invite all of you to join me in this as well.

What do you mean?

I would like to open Closer to Home (Redux) to submissions from you, my beloved audience. I invite you to create your own original characters, events, and stories that are more common and everyday than the big picture stuff that gets covered in the updates here on the primary thread. You could submit a character alone, or an idea for an event, or even an entire town to populate with as many people as you please. Really, this is meant to be a fun, interactive creative exercise more than anything, a chance to collaborate and fill in the gaps provided by the "top down" view of history.

Just a few basics:
  • Start simple. Create a character, or a family of characters. Explore who they are, where they live. Then, begin to consider how the events of Blue Skies in Camelot might have impacted their lives. That said, feel free to think a little bigger. You could write short "snapshots"/vignettes/memoirs of that character, or full life stories if you wish. Let your imagination be your guide.

• Your character/event/location should not divert significantly from the "canon" of Blue Skies in Camelot. Obviously, I give you creative license within reason, but I ultimately retain final creative control and edit privileges. If I feel that your submission doesn't quite fit into the world, I may ask you to consider edits.

• Please be respectful of other users' ideas and submission. It takes a great deal of courage to share your thoughts with others on the internet. It requires that you make yourself vulnerable in front of strangers. I should know. I've been doing it for more than six years now. We're taking time out of our busy lives to create this world together. This is supposed to be fun. :)

• Your submission MUST NOT violate any rules/guidelines put in place by the site. Follow the rules people!

I'm open to suggestions on this. I suspect that the concept might make the thread a better fit for Shared Worlds, rather than Post-1900 Discussion. But feel free to let me know what you think!
Me and @Uniquely Genius can provide characters from India and the Philippines respectively.

I plan on posting an update on Chapter 152 sometime before the end of this week (probably Thursday or Friday). I would also like to try and get the Blue Skies In Camelot: Closer to Home (Redux) microhistory thread recommended by @LordYam up and running sometime soon. I can't promise that I will produce a ton of content for that thread right away, as I am absolutely swamped with work, graduate school, and just trying to keep up with the primary thread. But I would like to launch it before it gets set too far back on the backburner with a lot of other ideas.

What do you mean?

I would like to open Blue Skies In Camelot: Closer to Home (Redux) to submissions from you, my beloved audience. I invite you to create your own original characters, events, and stories that are more common and everyday than the big picture stuff that gets covered in the updates here on the primary thread. You could submit a character alone, or an idea for an event, or even an entire town to populate with as many people as you please. Really, this is meant to be a fun, interactive creative exercise more than anything, a chance to collaborate and fill in the gaps provided by the "top down" view of history.

Just a few basics:

• Your character/event/location should not divert significantly from the "Canon" of Blue Skies in Camelot. Obviously, I give you creative license within reason, but I ultimately retain final creative control and edit privileges. If I feel that your submission doesn't quite fit into the world, I may ask you to consider edits.

Could we not just dig up the old Closer to Home thread? :) If need be, I think you can ask the mods to move it into Shared Worlds if you want.
Alright then Mr. President, we'll be waiting on Chapter 152: The Walt Disney Company from 1967 to Mid-1980's ITTL before the end of this week. Blue Skies In Camelot: Closer to Home is back on track geniuses! You should definitely bring back the original thread that you've written and continued where it left off almost 5 Years ago. We universally accepted your invitation from this thread, and we'll do our best efforts to contribute and improved your thread from this day forward genius. Does these characters that we're about to create freely are real or imaginary just to make things clear for us geniuses? Anyway, we're looking forward to revive your thread after a long hiatus. But for now, we're waiting for Chapter 152 in the next chapter updates.

Hey @President_Lincoln, this has probably been one of those discussed but bear with me. Oliver Stone has served in The Cambodian War ITTL like he served in The Vietnam War IOTL but my question is, how would you say Cambodia has impacted him ITTL vs how Vietnam impacted him IOTL?
No worries. I would say that Stone's experience in The Cambodian War ITTL was similar to his experience in The Vietnam War IOTL. One major difference I can see is Stone being less prone to believing conspiracy theories than he is IOTL. I respect Stone as a filmmaker, but his takes on some issues are... less than well-supported, in my opinion anyway.
You use nicer ways to describe it than I would. Less conspiracy theorists Oliver Stone ITTL is great in my opinion.
Well that's definitely good news for us geniuses, Oliver Stone as not one of the conspiracy theorist ITTL would be a sigh of relief.

Me and @Uniquely Genius can provide lesser known historical characters from India and the Philippines respectively.
I don't about that genius, but every historical figures in our country ever since 1962 ITTL are very well-known. Everyone of them from different fields really made big marks, impacts, and influences in our country's history. I'll see what I can do if I find one and if any of you can find lesser known historical figures from our country, feel free to message me as well and we'll work it out to include our contribution to this thread geniuses. For now, have a wonderful day and evening geniuses!

Last edited:

What do you mean?

Just a few basics:

Where do we submit?
And when is the next update on the main thread?

Alright then Mr. President, we'll be waiting on Chapter 152: The Walt Disney Company from 1967 to Mid-1980's ITTL before the end of this week. Blue Skies In Camelot: Closer to Home is back on track geniuses! You should definitely bring back the original thread that you've written and continued where it left off almost 5 Years ago. We universally accepted your invitation from this thread, and we'll do our best efforts to contribute and improved your thread from this day forward genius. Does these characters that we're about to create freely are real or imaginary just to make things clear for us geniuses? Anyway, we're looking forward to revive your thread after a long hiatus. But for now, we're waiting for Chapter 152 in the next chapter updates.

Well that's definitely good news for us geniuses, Oliver Stone as not one of the conspiracy theorist ITTL would be a sigh of relief.

I don't about that genius, but every historical figures in our country ever since 1962 ITTL are very well-known. Everyone of them from different fields really made big marks, impacts, and influences in our country's history. I'll see what I can do if I find one and if you can find lesser known historical figures from our country, feel free to messaged me as well and we'll work it out to include our contribution to this thread geniuses. For now, have a wonderful day and evening geniuses!
What I meant was I do India (which I am planning to do anyway), and you do the Philippines (if you are willing). I am not familiar with a lot of Philippine history. In the standard way the original Closer To Home was written. I didn't mean any lesser known figures.

Could we not just dig up the old Closer to Home thread? :) If need be, I think you can ask the mods to move it into Shared Worlds if you want
I believe that would be necromancy of a long dead thread. :p Thank you for the suggestion though! I'll probably just create a new thread in Shared Worlds.

Where do we submit?
And when is the next update on the main thread?
I'll share the link to the new thread once I get it up and running.

Expect the next Chapter before the end of this week.

And just to be clear @President_Lincoln we can create a family and tell their whole well not whole but their history up to and beyond the POD, right?
Absolutely! Feel free to go as far as you like past the POD. I just ask that once you hit where we currently are in the main TL (c. 1981) that you don't speculate too too much on big picture stuff beyond that point. You can always come back to your post(s) later and update them more as the TL continues. I certainly intend to do that myself.

Absolutely! Feel free to go as far as you like past the POD. I just ask that once you hit where we currently are in the main TL (c. 1981) that you don't speculate too too much on big picture stuff beyond that point. You can always come back to your post(s) later and update them more as the TL continues. I certainly intend to do that myself.
Oh yeah no worries. I won't go beyond where we are now.

Question for everybody we've been talking about JFK and a movie based on him. But when do we think a movie or miniseries based on Robert F. Kennedy would be made? IOTL there was a mini-series called Robert F. Kennedy and his times and that was in 1985, so obviously that can't happen here as he'll be President (If he wins another term.) So when do we think a biographical film or Mini series could be made about him ITTL?