Aurora Australis

Some moderifications. For now I'll only post sections to get your responses.

1921: In the two years since it’s inception Australia’s new emigration policy has been a massive success. Over 250,000 white Europeans a year have migrated to Australia (there is unspoken bias towards white migrants). Of these migrants most are from Germany Austria, Ireland, Wales and North England. On arrival some find jobs in the flourishing mining industry with Ballarat and Bendigo leading the way reopening the gold mines closed during the war and using the newly arrived skilled labor to open new ones.
The rest find temporary work in the construction sector building houses and factories for the arriving migrants and foreign businesses until they can find work in their own fields.
The construction industry will be an industry that relies on the new migrant workers, as there will be a high demand for housing for years to come.
The new workers will be instrumental in the construction of housing and all the infrastructure projects that are required for Australia’s booming population.

1927: The design for the RAN’s ten new heavy cruisers has been agreed to and initial construction will start on these powerful ships shortly. The design is a combination of the conservative RN standards with the use of German technical proficiency. The class will displace 32000 tons have a length of 800 feet with a beam of 81 feet and a draft of 31 feet. They will be armed with 8 x 12inch main guns in four turrets fore and aft, secondary 10 x 6inch guns with 8 x 533mm torpedo tubes and two aircraft. Anti aircraft defences consist of 10 x 40mm and 20 x 20mm cannons. The ship has a peacetime crew of 800. Their construction will us the new technique of electric arc welding with the ships being powered by four shaft geared steam turbines run by eight oil fuelled boilers with a maximum speed of 33 knots. These ships will be expensive yet the cost must be accepted if Australia is to grow strong.

Please note these ships are now more akin to the US Alaska class large cruisers with the exception that the RAN has stayed with the British and German tradition of quadrouple turrents.

David
Ps any other suggestions might be incorporated in later updates.
Thanks again all.
Pps in regards to carriers they have been thought of but were put on the backburner due to the other military construction costs and budgetary considerations.

Michael said:
Yeah it is strange how many people forget about water here in Australia. Maybe you should have this become a concern in your story Syphon? Or have i missed the bit where it was remedied?

Now the offtopic bit: Did you write that new britannia story DMA? Ever going to finish it?

Hi Michael. Yes that was me (to others who haven't read it here's the link at Changing The Times http://www.changingthetimes.co.uk/samples/18th/a_new_britannia.htm ).

It will be continuing, but I won't be writing the sequel(s). Instead I'm letting Pete Townsend continue it. He wrote the Eureka Republic ( http://www.changingthetimes.co.uk/samples/18th/eureka_republic.htm ), which is in more detail than my original &, furthermore, I was so impressed by what he thought I should include in Part 2 of New Britiannia, I thought he should write it instead. Hopefully he'll have it online soon.

Critique to "Some moderifications"

Hi Syphon,

yes all this looks fine, but 32000 ton heavy cruisers? That's a f*****g big heavy cruiser! :D

I'll go along with calling them "heavy cruisers", as I looked up the Alaska class & they're an amazing 27000 tons. I'm not sure, though, that the rest of the world will see them as "heavy cruisers" though. Anyway, it's not an overly important point.

More importantly, I'm looking forward to seeing the next part.

Aurora Australis part four

As you're propably guessed I have already written a considerable amount on this TL. FYI in this TL Anthony Fokkers death was butterflied away as instead of going to the US where he died afther a routine nasal operation he came to Australia instead.

Now Part four

1935: The Australian Foreign Affairs Minister finally back in Australia is pleased with the outcome of overseas trip. Australia has signed secret deals with both German and England to build battleships for them. Because of the nature of the deals payments were made up front and were more expensive than if they had built them themselves. On the plus side both countries has complete deniablity of have broken treaties to which they were signatories. Japan is not so happy, their country is getting the resources they need yet they have protested most strongly to Australia about the trade agreement with Kuomintang government stating that Australia is arming potential enemies of the empire.
The Kuomintang government on the other hand is happy as Larry after having found a country with which they can purchase anything they desire as long as they have the money to pay for it.
A new wave of migrants is poring into Australia. The Jews of Germany and Europe seeing the growth of anti-Semitism are migrating in large numbers taking everything they can carry. This is seen, as a double boom for Australia as not does Australia’s population increase but these migrants also bring with them a large skill base as well as a large portion of their wealth. The Jewish migrants seeing that most of the other European migrants have settled on the East coast decide that they will form their own communities in the west starting in Perth from where they see the opportunity to expand into the vast empty veldts of Western Australia.
The new Jewish migrants are amassed by the friendly reception they receive. In the past when they had moved to a new country they were either met with open hostility or at best total indifference. They quickly went about setting up their homes and businesses thinking what a lovely friendly place Australia is. After awhile they realise this is not an act and Australians really are a tolerant and friendly people. When they realise this they quickly write to their friends and relatives in Europe and around the world advising them of this wonderful place and advising them to migrate at once. The Jewish community leaders on hearing that some to their brethren can not afford to migrate set up an entirely self funded Jewish migration fund to help the poorer members of their belief migrate to this land of opportunity.

1936: The Australian population has reached 15 million thanks mostly to the influx of Jewish migrants.
The Finance Minister breathes a sigh of relief. Australia’s massive defence spending over the last fifteen years and especially the last five had threatened to destroy Australia’s economy. Only through the grace of God, the spending of Australia’s entire gold reserve, the Machiavellian trades treaties and the massive European migration has allowed him to keep Australia’s economy intact. As he sits in his office he ponders how best to exploit the situation in Europe.
The depression is slowly fading across the world as production increased. This increase can be contributed to the large-scale military build up of Germany, Japan and other nations with territorial ambitions.
Australia has received enormous benefits from their drive for territory supplying everything from trucks and paper to weapons and rubber. Every country on Earth now knows that all they need is money and with this money Australia will supply whatever you need as long as they can produce it.
In Europe, the European leaders issue an objection to Australia’s migration policy claiming Australia is bribing away large numbers of skilled workers. Together they issue a statement to the world saying they are all enacting the new Australian migration law which makes it illegal for any migrant leaving for Australia to take their possessions with them. The only European country not to enact this specific type of law is Germany, which is already confiscating Jewish property and is only too happy to see them leave.
Germany looking to make the best use of Australia’s German population commissions Australia to build a further three battleships for Germany. Along with this deal Germany also starts importing large quantities of raw materials that Germany has had difficulties acquiring in the past.
In Asia, both Japan and the Kuomintang government continue to purchase large quantities to weapons, material and equipment. It becomes obvious to most of the world that both sides are preparing for war.
The foreign firms that originally set up in Australia are sitting pretty with some for their Australian operations making more profits then their parent companies.

1937: In a move that surprises no one Japan launches a massive assault on the Chinese Kuomintang government.
The USA, USSR, France and the British Empire condemn the Japanese attack. After consulting with these countries the USA places a total trade embargo on Japan.
Although Japan makes some impressive gains losses are high as the Kuomintang armed forces make good use to their newly purchased motorised fighting vehicles and mobile artillery to make the Japanese invaders pay a heavy price for every inch of territory they gain.
Australia is approached by the Japanese who then demand that Australia stops selling arms and equipment to what they refer to as rebel bandits. When Australia refuses the Japanese ambassador starts to threaten the existing trade agreement but stops himself before he utters a word. He realises that with the trade embargo against Japan, Australia might be the only country that is willing to supply the resources to keep Japans war machine going as well as the oil that the IJN will need to protect the home islands.
In Europe the anti-Australian immigration laws has slowed migration to Australia. In order to bypass the financial penalties relating to these laws Swiss banks have started acting as agents for the migrants taking possession of their wealth as a fund manager. The genius of this plan is that people can migrate and claim to have no disposable assets. When in fact, they are actually a member of a managed fund, which comprises of the assets of anybody who chose to transfer their assets to any of the Swiss banks who manage these schemes. The Swiss banks as fund managers charge entry and exit fees as well as annual account keeping fees.
In Australia migration has slowed but by no means stopped as the poorer people who don’t have much to lose migrate while the richer ones enter the various schemes allowing them to hide their assets.
With a war waging in China and dark clouds of aggression gathering in Europe the Australian government orders more military equipment.
The RAN get a further 10 more heavy cruisers. The RAAF get a further 300 FA-1 fighters and 90 of the new Fokker B-1 Bombers. The Army gets a further 300 modified MFV these new vehicles will be of half track configuration allowing better access to the desert regions of Australia.

Do you have yards that can build this class of BB buy 1938

Do you have yards to build this class of battleship by 1938 syphon or do think? she be to lager but on the othrer hand you are out side the 1922 W treaty and Australian dos need a lager class of BB to take on the IJN buy the 1940s

LAWNSEON CLASS, Australia fast BATTLESHIP laid down 1938

Displacement:
92,086 t light; 96,538 t standard; 113,003 t normal; 125,723 t full load
Loading submergence 3,024 tons/feet

Dimensions:
1,088.00 ft x 155.00 ft x 47.00 ft (normal load)
331.62 m x 47.24 m x 14.33 m

Armament:
12 - 16.00" / 406 mm guns (3 Main turrets x 4 guns, 1 superfiring turret)
20 - 5.25" / 133 mm guns (10 2nd turrets x 2 guns)
125 - 1.57" / 40 mm AA guns
155 - 0.80" / 20 mm guns
Weight of broadside 26,305 lbs / 11,932 kg

Armour:
Belt 18.10" / 460 mm, ends unarmoured
Belts cover 100 % of normal area
Main turrets 18.88" / 480 mm, 2nd turrets 6.25" / 159 mm
AA gun shields 1.00" / 25 mm, Light gun shields 2.00" / 51 mm
Armour deck 10.80" / 274 mm, Conning tower 20.00" / 508 mm
Torpedo bulkhead 3.45" / 88 mm

Machinery:
Oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
Geared drive, 5 shafts, 371,709 shp / 277,295 Kw = 33.41 kts
Range 32,000nm at 15.00 kts

Complement:
3,081 - 4,006

Cost:
£41.765 million / $167.061 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 3,288 tons, 2.9 %
Armour: 41,713 tons, 36.9 %
Belts: 8,161 tons, 7.2 %, Armament: 7,145 tons, 6.3 %, Armour Deck: 21,149 tons, 18.7 %
Conning Tower: 1,015 tons, 0.9 %, Torpedo bulkhead: 4,243 tons, 3.8 %
Machinery: 10,178 tons, 9.0 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 36,707 tons, 32.5 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 20,917 tons, 18.5 %
Miscellaneous weights: 200 tons, 0.2 %

Metacentric height 11.2

Remarks:
Hull space for machinery, storage & compartmentation is excellent
Room for accommodation & workspaces is excellent
Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
Good seaboat, rides out heavy weather easily

Estimated overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Relative margin of stability: 1.08
Shellfire needed to sink: 161,217 lbs / 73,127 Kg = 78.7 x 16.0 " / 406 mm shells
(Approx weight of penetrating shell hits needed to sink ship excluding critical hits)
Torpedoes needed to sink: 34.4
(Approx number of typical torpedo hits needed to sink ship)
Relative steadiness as gun platform: 89 %
(Average = 50 %)
Relative rocking effect from firing to beam: 0.29
Relative quality as seaboat: 1.21

Hull form characteristics:
Block coefficient: 0.499
Sharpness coefficient: 0.37
Hull speed coefficient 'M': 6.89
'Natural speed' for length: 32.98 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 49 %
Trim: 74
(Maximise stabilty/flotation = 0, Maximise steadiness/seakeeping = 100)

Estimated hull characteristics & strength:
Underwater volume absorbed by magazines and engineering spaces: 60.8 %
Relative accommodation and working space: 163.6 %
(Average = 100%)
Displacement factor: 128 %
(Displacement relative to loading factors)
Relative cross-sectional hull strength: 1.00
(Structure weight / hull surface area: 248 lbs / square foot or 1,212 Kg / square metre)
Relative longitudinal hull strength: 1.07
(for 25.00 ft / 7.62 m average freeboard, freeboard adjustment 0.41 ft)
Relative composite hull strength: 1.00

Or this KGV class BB

KGV, UK Battelship laid down 1936

Displacement:
57,815 t light; 60,928 t standard; 64,728 t normal; 67,509 t full load
Loading submergence 2,189 tons/feet

Dimensions:
899.00 ft x 120.00 ft x 35.00 ft (normal load)
274.02 m x 36.58 m x 10.67 m

Armament:
12 - 15.00" / 381 mm guns (3 Main turrets x 4 guns, 1 superfiring turret)
55 - 1.57" / 40 mm AA guns
66 - 0.80" / 20 mm guns
Weight of broadside 21,820 lbs / 9,898 kg

Armour:
Belt 15.00" / 381 mm, ends unarmoured
Belts cover 100 % of normal area
Main turrets 15.00" / 381 mm, 2nd turrets 5.25" / 133 mm
AA gun shields 1.00" / 25 mm, Light gun shields 2.00" / 51 mm
Armour deck 8.00" / 203 mm, Conning tower 15.00" / 381 mm
Torpedo bulkhead 1.00" / 25 mm

Machinery:
Oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
Geared drive, 4 shafts, 253,505 shp / 189,115 Kw = 32.20 kts
Range 10,000nm at 15.00 kts

Complement:
2,029 - 2,637

Cost:
£28.001 million / $112.003 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 2,728 tons, 4.2 %
Armour: 23,310 tons, 36.0 %
Belts: 4,876 tons, 7.5 %, Armament: 5,814 tons, 9.0 %, Armour Deck: 11,339 tons, 17.5 %
Conning Tower: 524 tons, 0.8 %, Torpedo bulkhead: 757 tons, 1.2 %
Machinery: 7,113 tons, 11.0 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 24,515 tons, 37.9 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 6,913 tons, 10.7 %
Miscellaneous weights: 150 tons, 0.2 %

Metacentric height 7.3

Remarks:
Hull space for machinery, storage & compartmentation is excellent
Room for accommodation & workspaces is excellent

Estimated overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Relative margin of stability: 1.05
Shellfire needed to sink: 77,965 lbs / 35,364 Kg = 46.2 x 15.0 " / 381 mm shells
(Approx weight of penetrating shell hits needed to sink ship excluding critical hits)
Torpedoes needed to sink: 9.3
(Approx number of typical torpedo hits needed to sink ship)
Relative steadiness as gun platform: 69 %
(Average = 50 %)
Relative rocking effect from firing to beam: 0.60
Relative quality as seaboat: 1.16

Hull form characteristics:
Block coefficient: 0.600
Sharpness coefficient: 0.40
Hull speed coefficient 'M': 6.85
'Natural speed' for length: 29.98 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 53 %
Trim: 59
(Maximise stabilty/flotation = 0, Maximise steadiness/seakeeping = 100)

Estimated hull characteristics & strength:
Underwater volume absorbed by magazines and engineering spaces: 82.9 %
Relative accommodation and working space: 201.4 %
(Average = 100%)
Displacement factor: 109 %
(Displacement relative to loading factors)
Relative cross-sectional hull strength: 0.98
(Structure weight / hull surface area: 224 lbs / square foot or 1,094 Kg / square metre)
Relative longitudinal hull strength: 1.26
(for 28.00 ft / 8.53 m average freeboard, freeboard adjustment 6.00 ft)
Relative composite hull strength: 1.00

I've got to admit that I have my doubts that the Washington Treaty will remain in effect at all if there was a potential world power operating outside it, since adherence would be detrimental to all those that sign it.

Good work! Keep writing!

Also; when will the planes that came out in WW2 appear in this TL? Isn't the Fokker a WW1 plane?

G.Bone said:
Good work! Keep writing!

Also; when will the planes that came out in WW2 appear in this TL? Isn't the Fokker a WW1 plane?

Fokker is the name of the manufacturer of aircraft that were used during the Great War. The company also built commercial aircraft between the wars and even in this day.

G.Bone said:
Good work! Keep writing!

In otl Anthony Fokker took his D-VII's to the Dutch and then set up a U company. While in the US he had some minor surgery on his nose and died.
I gave some details of this earlier. I this ATL he moved to Australia to set up the Fpkker Aircraft Company and his aircraft formed the foundation of the RAAF.
In the 1930's he had several contracts with the US government and was working on all metal aircraft when he died. I butterflied away his death and had him continue all his research.
A brief summary of his life came be found at the following link
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWfokker.htm

David

If I get time I'll post another segment that I have prewritten.
The world situation is starting to change considerabily and if you thing somethig is not right and have suggestions please inform me. I am getting towards the end of my prewritten segments but Ihave some doubts.
All ideas welcome. :confused:

17inc said:
Do you have yards to build this class of battleship by 1938 syphon or do think? she be to lager but on the othrer hand you are out side the 1922 W treaty and Australian dos need a lager class of BB to take on the IJN buy the 1940s

LAWNSEON CLASS, Australia fast BATTLESHIP laid down 1938

Displacement:
92,086 t light; 96,538 t standard; 113,003 t normal; 125,723 t full load
Loading submergence 3,024 tons/feet

Dimensions:
1,088.00 ft x 155.00 ft x 47.00 ft (normal load)
331.62 m x 47.24 m x 14.33 m

Armament:
12 - 16.00" / 406 mm guns (3 Main turrets x 4 guns, 1 superfiring turret)
125 - 1.57" / 40 mm AA guns
155 - 0.80" / 20 mm guns
Weight of broadside 26,305 lbs / 11,932 kg
Snip
Or this KGV class BB

KGV, UK Battelship laid down 1936

Displacement:
57,815 t light; 60,928 t standard; 64,728 t normal; 67,509 t full load
Loading submergence 2,189 tons/feet

Dimensions:
899.00 ft x 120.00 ft x 35.00 ft (normal load)
274.02 m x 36.58 m x 10.67 m

Armament:
12 - 15.00" / 381 mm guns (3 Main turrets x 4 guns, 1 superfiring turret)
55 - 1.57" / 40 mm AA guns
66 - 0.80" / 20 mm guns
Weight of broadside 21,820 lbs / 9,898 kg

The shipyards could build the KGV however the Australian government doesn't see the need for superbattleships or large carriers although their thoughts on the carriers will change.
Your LAWNSEON class reminds me of a book by John Watson call THE IRON MAN in which a Soviet battleship designed to battle the Yamoto's sets sail to be a pirate ship and steal nukes from the US Navy.

david :)

Aurora Australis part Five

Here's Part Five

1938: The Japanese ambassador is screaming at the Australian Prime Minister, Joseph Lyons about the increased cost of Australian resources and oil. After he has finished his tirade the Australian Prime Minister asks if he has anything else he wishes to say. The Japanese ambassador states this is blackmail and the Japanese Empire will not pay these prices. On hearing this the Australian Prime Minister says that if this is what the Japanese government wishes so be it. He pauses for effect and then continues by saying if the Japanese don’t want to purchase these resources I’m sure there are other governments who would. Hearing this the Japanese ambassador knowing that his country has no other supplier says that Japan will purchase the resources it will however object and will continue to object to the large cost increases over the last two years. With this said the Japanese ambassador storms out of the Prime Ministers office.
The Australian Finance Minister is looking over Australia’s finances. These finances though not healthy is in better shape than expected this due in no small measure to embargos placed on Japan and to a lesser extent Germany. Still the minister is concerned Australia’s massive naval program along with the other defence programs has stretched the economy to breaking point. He ponders this for a moment and realises that it is only through the exploitation of Australia’s vast natural resources that has kept the Australian trade figures in the black.
In foreign developments the Japanese – Soviet border disputes has developed into a low intensity proxy war with daily artillery bombardments combined with cross border incursions by vassal forces.
In Europe the military build up by all the power blocks has accelerated with these countries chasing resources to fuel their war production.

1939: This was a year of conflict as the great European powers once again went to war for the second time in twenty years.
For most of the year Australia continued its policy of selling manufactured goods and raw materials to anybody who could afford to pay. As the conflicts in Asia and Europe intensified demand for Australian goods and supplies grew to the extent that other countries were in fact paying for Australia’s military build up.
When Germany invaded Poland and Britain and France declared war on Germany the Australian Prime Minister Robert Menzies introduced a bill into parliament demanding that Australia support the mother country and declare war on Germany as well.
The debate of the German war bill lasted for several weeks much to consternation of Menzies and the ruling United Australia Party. When the vote finally came, the bill failed passage by 23 votes. In a statement the next day Robert Menzies resigned as Prime Minister stating that if parliament has no trust in his leadership then he in good conscience can’t continue to hold office.
After several hours of behind the scene negotiations between the UAP, Country and Labor parties a government of national unity is formed with Earle Page, Country Party as Prime Minister and John Curtin as his deputy.
While the war waged in Europe and Asia, Australian ships continued to ply the seas trading goods and resources in exchange for technology and other items of value. None of the waring powers attacked these ships as supplies vital to both are carried on the same ships.
With Australia neutral yet containing large numbers of migrants from the belligerent countries the governments of these countries court Australia trying to draw it into their spheres of influence. Although not successful these countries continue to maintain excellent relations and have ordered their forces not to engage any Australian vessels and thus endanger a valuable source of resources.
On the domestic front Australia is struggling with an influx of migrants from Europe who fled their countries as the dark clouds of conflict raced across Europe. Australia’s population is now 19 million with over one and a half million mostly Jewish migrants arriving in the last year alone.
The outbreak of war has increased the need for national defence with naval construction already a high priority the air force benefits greatly with the Australian government ordering a further 30 B-1 bombers and 600 Fokker FA-2 fighter-bombers. These aircraft have nearly twice the range of the FA-1 but more importantly they are able to use air dropped torpedoes the design of which was part of a trade agreement with Japan.
The Australian government realising that Australia can only be attacked by air and naval forces start a program to upgrade all the FA-1’s and the early production models of the B-1 bomber to enable them to use air dropped torpedoes.
Over the last five years Australia has had a cooperative exchange program for military technology running with all their trading partners. Although Australia has chosen not to use most of the technology due to the cost of development, the technical plans were used to improve the basic designs of Australia’s homegrown equipment.

1940: The war in Europe has taken a turn for the worst with Germany invading the Low Countries to out manoeuvre the Anglo-French forces in Belgium and France.
By the middle of the year Germany will have conquered France, Belgium and the Low Countries. The war on the continent is effectively over with only air and to a lesser extent naval battles between the UK and Germany. With most of their ground forces freed from combat Germany starts a military build up on the Soviet border.
In a move that surprises the world Australia with the blessing to the Dutch government takes control of the Dutch East Indies. Australia will administer these Dutch possessions until their status can be determined after the European war.
In order to prevent any power just walking in and over running the DEI Australia bases a cruiser squadron and ten FA-2 fighter squadrons to protect the Dutch interests.
Of the major powers only the Americans and Germans object to Australia’s actions with the Germans acknowledging the later determination of these territories status is not unreasonable. In private the German Ambassador expresses his governments displeasure with Australia’s action but with the war continuing in Europe and Germany’s increasing need for raw materials no further action is taken.
Japan is similarly surprised by Australia’s actions, their Ambassador however agrees to publicly support Australia if Japan gets a preferential deal for the purchase of oil from the DEI and the Bass Strait fields.
In other surprising developments the Japanese and the Kuomintang government of China agree to a cessation of hostilities. The terms of peace are the ceding of all of northern China to the Japanese by the Kuomintang government. In exchange for this territory and the end of hostilities Japan must assist the Kuomintang government in eradicating the communist insurgents in both Northern and Southern China.
With the war in China an inequitable draw both the Japanese and Kuomintang governments start a massive rearmament program to replace the equipment lost during the three-year war. The Kuomintang government asks Australian manufacturers to build them large numbers of mobile anti-tank artillery based on the German 88mm guns currently seeing service in Europe. They also purchase replacement motorised fighting vehicles, artillery and aircraft.
In the North of China the small scale Japanese – Soviet border war has taken on a life of it’s own with both side taking more direct action instead of through their proxy forces. Both sides continue their military build ups and it is considered only a matter of time before one or the other invade.
In Germany on December 8th the German Fuhrer, Adolf Hitler while being briefed on the preparations for the attack on the Soviet Union suddenly slumps forward and falls across the table. By the time medical assistance arrives the Fuhrer has died from the results of a massive stroke. The political manoeuvres that follow sees Rudolf Hess become Fuhrer with Reinhard Heydrich promoted to Reich Minister and deputy Fuhrer.
The Egyptian campaign has been a disaster for Great Britain and her allies. With the loss of so much equipment in France, the British army had to lay the burden of defence for Egypt on the shoulders of the colonies. Responding to the call to arms New Zealand sent five divisions to Egypt to help in the defence of the Suez Canal. The New Zealand army corps along with two English brigades and several divisions from South Africa and India is all the forces deployed to protect Egypt. The forces were deployed along the coastal road in such a fashion as to deny easy passage to the numerically superior Italian forces. What the allied forces didn’t take into account was the lack of allied naval forces in the Mediterranean. This was brought about by the need of the Royal Navy to scatter across the Atlantic searching for the powerful German battleships raiding convoys and attacking smaller naval vessels. On top of this threat was the u-boats acting in concert with the battleships. The threats posed by these German naval forces forced Great Britain to recall the Mediterranean squadron to combat the Germans in the Atlantic.
The Italian declaration of war came as a nasty surprise to the British who suddenly found themselves with more tasks for the navy than ships available. When advised of the situation Churchill made a calculated decision to allow the colonial forces to defend Egypt without naval support. This led to a situation where Italian navy and airforce backed by the Luftwaffe were able to smash the dug in colonial forces while the Italian army was able to advance with little direct opposition. When the battle at Tobruk was finished the allied forces had been routed with the New Zealand army corps virtually destroyed and the other allied units so badly mauled that they didn’t stop running until they reached reinforcements at Alexandria. The only thing that stopped the Italian army from conquering all of Egypt was their misguided belief that they were being led into a massive defensive belt and the forces that they had crushed had been left behind to buy time for the defences to be completed.

1941: The capture and execution of Mao Tse-tung in January was the spark that started the great Soviet- Japanese war. When the Japanese did this the Chinese communist party fell into a power struggle that was to fracture the party for all time with the pro-soviet verses the Chinese nationalist communists not only fighting amongst themselves but also the Japanese and the Kuomintang governments. To stop their socialist brothers from being destroyed the Soviet Union launches a massive attack on Japanese Manchuko and Northern China. Although the Soviet gains are initially impressive, losses amongst the Soviet tank forces are high as the newly acquired mobile anti-tank artillery built both in Japan and Australia inflict casualties that can only be made up by diverting forces from other regions of the USSR.
At the end of the year the USA decides it must support democratic governments around the world and starts offering for sale at commercial rates military hardware.
Of the countries to take advantage of this offer only Free France, Canada, the UK and surprisingly Australia ask to either licence build or purchase directly equipment built in America. Australia although in the USA’s bad books for ignoring the Japanese embargo is still allowed to licence certain technology. The biggest surprises however is the Australian governments’ request for the plans to the Essex class aircraft carrier so that Australia could build their own carriers.
For Great Britain and Germany 1941 is a year of change. In Germany Rudolf Hess the new Fuhrer and Reinhard Heydrich consolidate their power base. To do this they need to show that the war is nearing conclusion.
Just after the New Year the German Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop acting through the Spanish offers Great Britain peace. The offer includes German withdrawal from Norway and the Low Countries so long as certain conditions are met relating to the passage of German ships and other defence concerns as well as the Italian withdrawal from occupied Egypt. No mention of France or Poland is made.
Churchill after hearing the German peace plan vowels never to accept peace with Germany as long as they hold a single inch of occupied territory. This causes much unrest in the war cabinet and parliament as the Germans have offered a very reasonable peace plus they have offered to remove the Italian troops from Egypt with out Britain having to fight to get Egypt back. After this statement is made Anthony Eden approaches Churchill and advises him to reconsider, as there is considerable discord with this stance. Churchill refuses stating that he would resign rather than negotiate with the fascists. The stand off between Churchill and the war cabinet continued for several days. When the issue finally came to a head Churchill lost a vote of no confidence and resigned as Prime Minister. His replacement was Anthony Eden who then on the advice of the war cabinet accepted the German peace plan.
Thus ended the Second European Civil War. The winner’s from the war were Germany who retained occupied France including all its overseas territories and Poland. The British retained their empire and got back Egypt. The only compromise they had to make was to acknowledge Italian sovereignty of Italian East Africa and the return of Germany’s overseas colonies.
For Italy they came out with a new confidence in their military and a promise of German assistance in the conquest of Yugoslavia if they withdrew from Egypt. Mussolini although not happy with being pressured to give up territory won on the field of battle will comply as long as Germany assists with the conquest of the Slavs and further down the track perhaps Greece as well.
The other policy change in Germany involved the Jews. Instead of being rounded up and placed in concentration camps the Jews were forcibly relocated to Australia who welcomed them with open arms. Germany pays for the cost of the forced relocation with the confiscated assets of the Jews. The Jews themselves though happy to be safe from the Nazis are displeased by the confiscation of their assets and start agitating the worlds politicians to force Germany to return their assets. Their pleas fall on deaf ears, as no one is willing to go to war over such an inconsequential matter.

Like Michael, I too like what you're doing here.

My only concern is that maybe more detail is needed as to why, a dominion of Britain, isn't heeding the call to war. In other words, you need to explain more so why Parliament rejects Menzies declaration of war in 1939.

ye why is menzies not puting this 1939 war bill up for a vote seconed time if that has gone down for the frist time .

by just 25 votes you and i both know that we be off to polls fraster then you could say pig iron bob with seates in both houres of parlment up for grabes syphon. :D

DMA said:
Like Michael, I too like what you're doing here.

My only concern is that maybe more detail is needed as to why, a dominion of Britain, isn't heeding the call to war. In other words, you need to explain more so why Parliament rejects Menzies declaration of war in 1939.

Basically the more diverse Australian population. With the large numbers of migrants from western Europe out numbering the original anglophile Australian's I thought it reasonable that these new citizens become involved in Australia's politics and would not want to become onvolved in a war in their former homelands especially the Germans and Austrians who settled in South Australia and Victoria.
A similar process is happening today at local government and to a lesser degree state level in that migrants are settleing in the same areas and are electing those candidates who best represent their needs.
I believe that the changing social demographics of this timeline would be sufficient to prevent a declaration of war.
In regards to Australia being a dominion of Britain in part one I mentioned that the Australian citizenship act was passed. the relevant section is pasted below.
1920: The Australian citizenship act is passed by the government and signed into law by the Governor General. Australians are now citizens in their own right not mere subjects of the British Empire.

david

Syphon said:
Basically the more diverse Australian population. With the large numbers of migrants from western Europe out numbering the original anglophile Australian's I thought it reasonable that these new citizens become involved in Australia's politics and would not want to become onvolved in a war in their former homelands especially the Germans and Austrians who settled in South Australia and Victoria.
A similar process is happening today at local government and to a lesser degree state level in that migrants are settleing in the same areas and are electing those candidates who best represent their needs.
I believe that the changing social demographics of this timeline would be sufficient to prevent a declaration of war.

Well this might be all nice & stuff, but it's not very realistic in terms of how things really get done. If you want to use today as an example, yes we are a very multicultural society, but that hasn't stop the Anglo-celtic power base from significantly changing. Nor has it shifted Australia away from what the other democracies throughout the world are doing.

You've also got what happens in political parties to consider - and that is party discipline. If Menzies is indeed PM in 1939, he got there for two reasons:

1) He holds the majority of numbers, due to the number of coalition (UAP & Country Party) seats, &;

2) Most of these coalition members would probably be of the Anglo-celtic population who would be loyal to the UK.

As a result, I cannot accept that Menzies is going to lose the vote by 25 seats. As it was, in the OTL, Menzies comfortably gained support from Parliament & it was only later that a motion of 'no confidence' was supported against Menzies by the two independents & the Labor Party. But that was on how Menzies was dealing with the war & not because Menzies declared war on Germany.

Furthermore, if this AH is truly seeking an independent path in the world, there's no chance in Hell that Menzies would have been elected PM in their first place - either by the coalition itself, as the majority party, or by the coalition gaining the majority of vote in the election.

To add more to this, the political breakdown of the country would go somewhat along racial lines, if history is going to be taken as our model here. So, as I mentioned just above, the Anglo-celtics would probably support the coalition parties, whilst Labor would get some support from the celtics & most of the "new" Australians. If that is indeed the case, well Menzies obviously has the numbers for his Bill to go to war against Germany. But a mere 20 years is far too soon so see the Anglo-celtics replaced in either party by the "new" Australians. There would be a few elected to Parliament, but most would be still on the fringe. In a simiar fashion, regardless of racial background, 99% of the politicians would be male.

Syphon said:
In regards to Australia being a dominion of Britain in part one I mentioned that the Australian citizenship act was passed. the relevant section is pasted below.
1920: The Australian citizenship act is passed by the government and signed into law by the Governor General. Australians are now citizens in their own right not mere subjects of the British Empire.

david

Well this is basically our situation today. We're very independent & aeverything we do has nothing in relation to what takes place in Britiain. And you don't need a special Act of Parliament to have it this was as our own Constitution clear identifies this reality, plus there's the Statute of Westminister which stops the British ordering us around. Having said all that, that didn't stop our current PM from joining the UK & USA in the invasion of Iraq last year. And it still hasn't stopped him from keeping our country there. Furthermore, all this happened dispite the fact that the great majority of Australians didn't & don't want to be involved in Iraq. Afterall, just because the People may want something in a representative democracy dosen't mean to say the the politicans will give it too them. More often than not it's the reverse.

Now, overall, I'm not saying that you can't have your storyline. What I am say is, in your AH, you've got to go into detail as to why Menzies loses & that means going through a long & tedious process of explaining to the reader why there's this massive change in the OTL. I understand what your getting at, & I like the idea that Australia is doing it our way instead of Britain's or Americia's way, but you've got to convince me otherwise at this point in question, as it's an extremely important POD - probably even more so than the POD where German companies set up shop in Australia. And considering I'm an Australian Historian, I'm probably the hardest one to convince, but welcome to the wonderful world of Alternative History! :D

DMA brings up the points I had about the 'Australian' electorate in this ATL, but I didn't know enough about Australian history to comment on them. There was a totally out of period appearance to the way the country diversified and its impacted politics. Too much late 20th century feel in an early 20th century setting.

DMA said:
Well this might be all nice & stuff, but it's not very realistic in terms of how things really get done. If you want to use today as an example, yes we are a very multicultural society, but that hasn't stop the Anglo-celtic power base from significantly changing. Nor has it shifted Australia away from what the other democracies throughout the world are doing.

You've also got what happens in political parties to consider - and that is party discipline. If Menzies is indeed PM in 1939, he got there for two reasons:

1) He holds the majority of numbers, due to the number of coalition (UAP & Country Party) seats, &;

2) Most of these coalition members would probably be of the Anglo-celtic population who would be loyal to the UK.

I'll think about all this and get back when I've thought it over. I will make one point however Menzies got the Prime Ministership when he became leader of the UAP after Lyons death in office. Immediately after Lyons death Earle Page of the Country party was acting PM for about 20 days while the UAP choose a new leader. This to me indicates that there was considerable discord in the UAP over who to choose as the new leader who would become PM.

David :confused:

Aurora Australis Part six

This is the last of my pre written segments. I've got a few doubts about some of the material in this segment but I can't decide on how to rewrite so I'll post it here anyway and pick your brains.
I haven't forgotten your comments I'm just pontificating over them . :p

Part six

1942: The Soviet- Japanese war has proved a disaster for the Soviets. The war in Northern China has cost the Soviets large numbers of their T-34 tanks due to Japanese mobile anti-tank guns. With the continued losses Stalin orders more of the Red Army’s best units to head east to combat the Japanese in Northern China and to attack their forces occupying Vladivostok.
The assault on Vladivostok was a masterstroke by Admiral Yamamoto he used the entire IJN in the assault to support the marines and regular army. So effective was the attack that the port was captured intact and the Japanese were able to flood the area with troops and overwhelm the defenders. After having captured the city Japanese forces then started to expand outside the city taking with them large numbers of artillery and anti-tank weapons to hold off any Soviet attempt to retake the city. By the end of the year Soviet forces will be redirected from the North China front in an attempt to break the Japanese hold on this strategic city.
Italy with covert backing of Germany invades Yugoslavia. Even though all the major countries denounce the invasion nobody comes to Yugoslavia’s aid. The only assistance they get is military equipment either given or leased to them by Britain or the USA.
The Asian wars have proved a boom for Australia as most the Asian nations order the purchase of Australian military equipment to ward off the perceived threat of Japan.
The two largest purchasers of military equipment are the Japanese and the Kuomintang governments. Both ask to purchase large numbers of aircraft, armoured fighting vehicles artillery and anti-tank weapons. Both governments also continue to purchase large quantities of oil and other resources essential to their domestic needs.
In the aftermath of the Second European Civil War the Dutch seeing that it would be impossible for them to protect their Asian colonies cede them to Australia in exchange for 25% of the revenue generated from the Dutch East Indies oil fields for the next 20 years.
The RAAF seeing the improvement in the Japanese airforce asks Anthony Fokker to design a twin engine interceptor based on the FA-2 design.
Mercedes-Benz with the assistance of Krupp heavy industries start to produce an Australian version of the German Panzer V panther tank. There are several differences in the Australian version however as Mercedes-Benz has decided to go with a more powerful diesel engine and with the assistance of Krupp heavy industries have changed the main armament to the Krupp 105mm K18 L/52 at the request of the Australian Army.

1943: The Soviet- Japanese war has degenerated in a trench warfare style stalemate. The Soviets continue to throw more and more T34 tanks at the Japanese who in turn throw in more aircraft, anti-tank guns and artillery.
The Australian T-1 tank prototype is demonstrated by the Mercedes-Benz - Krupp consortium. The tank impresses everyone present even though it has some teething problems that will be fixed if there is demand for production. After the demonstration the RAA commission the construction of 300 tanks. This order is however dwarfed by the orders placed by the Japanese and the Kuomintang governments who each purchase 1500 tanks each. The German military attache on seeing the performance of the tanks is particularly interested in the main gun. On his recommendation and with the blessing of the General Staff all future German panzers will be armed with the Krupp 105mm K18 L/52.
The RAAF is impressed by the twin engine interceptor designed Anthony Fokker and gets permission for limited production of 120 aircraft of the FAI-2.
Anthony Fokker and the Fokker Aircraft Company in cooperation with Messerschmitt have plans to produce Australia’s first jet aircraft. This aircraft will be a virtual copy of the Me262; the Fokker Aircraft Company using the best ideas from the current Rolls Royce, BMW 003 and Jumo 004 engine designs will build the jet engine.
The Italian war in Yugoslavia continues to consume men and equipment. Benito Mussolini is already starting to have second thoughts about this war but is unwilling to admit error so the war continues.
The Australian finance minister succeeds in his bid to stop any future naval construction apart from those already approved. His impassioned plea to parliament has born fruit and for the first time since 1922 no new naval ships will be laid down.
The most important change in Australia this year is the dissolution of the government of national unity and the holding of elections. The Labor party wins a small majority and forms government pledging social reform and a continuation to the strength of Australia.
In a strange development both Germany and Great Britain independently approach Australia for help in a special project each are running. Secret agreements are reached with both governments, which differ slightly from each other. Germany will share the technology with Australia while Australia will supply the mineral resources and an island for testing.
In payment Germany will cede their newly returned Pacific island holdings (including Papua) to Australia while Australia will provide Germany with cheap resources and sell Germany at cost the T 1 tanks and the jet engines currently being developed by the Fokker aircraft company.
Great Britain agrees to share the technology in exchange for resources and a test area.
In payment Australia gets a preferential trade agreement, very cheap loans and British New Guinea in exchange for a treaty to help protect Britain’s Asian possessions.
Australian now has access to two of the five world powers atomic programs.
America concerned by the activity of the Nazis and the British in atomic research massively increase funding to their atomic program.
The race for the atomic bomb has begun.
In other world news Germany takes formal possession of the former French colonies in Indo-china and the Americas (the pacific island colonies having already been ceded to Australia). Resistance by the French colonialists was met by as series of short bloody battles that resulted in German victory and the deaths of hundreds of French colonists.
The Australian population continues to grow with the latest migrants from France and the French colonies fleeing German rule. These French migrants settle in the Northern Territory. Germany has continued its policy of expulsions, running low on Jews the Germans turn their attention to the Slavic people under their control.
Australia’s population has now reached 25 million.

1944: Australia and New Zealand after years of discussions hold referendums to be joined as one nation. The New Zealand referendum is to join the Commonwealth of Australia. In the Australian referendum, Australia has offered statehood to the Northern Territory and the islands of New Zealand, New Guinea, Timor, Celebes, Borneo, Java and Sumatra. After the votes are counted the referendums in both countries are passed and the islands are admitted to the Commonwealth of Australia as Sovereign States.
With the addition of the new states and the European migrants the Australian Commonwealth population is now 65 million.
To bring the new states up to the standards of the original states the federal government introduces a massive education campaign, which includes the building of schools with adjacent health care clinics. Attendance at the school is mandatory for all children between the age of six to sixteen with any higher education voluntary but encouraged. Another part of the program is a weekly learning session in the local town hall so the parents of the children also get the benefit of some education.
To fund this program the Australian government will suspend all future naval construction for the next five years or until the tax revenue has increased to enable adequate funding of this program.
The federal government will also look at other means of generating income to fund the education and the defence programs currently in place.
The Soviet- Japanese war has caused massive losses for both parties. The Japanese however have been unable to produce the equipment required by their army. The Japanese ambassador to Australia approaches the Australian Prime Minister and enquires if Australia has any surplus military equipment that it would be willing to sell to the Japanese. After consultations with the defence chiefs the Australian Prime Minister advises the Japanese ambassador that Australia is in the process of upgrading it’s military and that a lot of the older equipment could be sold ahead of schedule if the equipment was paid for up front. The Japanese agree and the first transfer of equipment begins in early May. With this agreement in place Australia will be weaker over the next couple of years as new more modern equipment is produced to replace the old. By the end of this time however Australia will have one of the worlds’ most modern armies and air forces composed of modern tanks, tracked armoured fighting vehicles, self propelled artillery and both jet and piston powered aircraft.
The tanks already being produces by Mercedes-Benz - Krupp consortium have left their mark on the army and the Australian government increases its order to 3000 units. This consortium also wins the contract for the 203-mm self-propelled artillery.
The AFV’s will be produced by GHM after they submitted a composite design using the best features of both the British and German designs.
At the Fokker Aircraft Company, Anthony Fokker has successfully tested his new jet engine. Examples of this engine will be fitted to the JF-1 jet fighter for test and evaluation. If successful both the jet engine and aircraft will be put into full production.
The Italian war in Yugoslavia is starting to look better for the Italians as the Germans have sold all their surplus old design panzers to the Italians. The German army is now made entirely of motorised and mechanised vehicles with panzers of nothing less the up-gunned mark V and the new Tiger II. (Due to the war ending early the Tiger I only had a production run of a few hundred vehicles)
With their new panzers the Italians will be able to break the back of the Slavs before the year is out and will be posturing on the Greek border their intent clear.
The Germans are watching the Soviet- Japanese war with interest. The Germans take particular note of all the Soviet panzer units sent to the east. For the first time the Germans actually have more panzers and men in Europe than the Soviets. The Germans know they only have to wait a short time until they will be able to land the knockout blow to Bolshevik menace. With their new panzers, jets, rockets and the promise of a new super bomb the German general’s start planning the aborted operation Barbarossa.
The United Kingdom has not been idle since the peace treaty. New tanks, jets and ships have been constructed to lessen the threat of the Third Reich. While these were being constructed research continued on the atomic project and the UK made closer ties to its Commonwealth countries and the United States.
Anthony Eden sits in his office and ponders the lost chances. England can no longer defeat Germany, she must now wait and bide her time until the Reich destroys itself.

1945: The war in the east has taken a turn for the worst for the Soviets. The Japanese army re-equipped by the former Australian army AFV’s and tanks have launched a lightening raid from Northern China and pocketed the Red Army between itself and the Vladivostok enclave. This battle could prove to be the turning point in the war as neither side has the ability to replace the equipment being consumed or the finances to purchase replacements.
Seeing yet more forces being moved east by the Soviets, Fuhrer Hess orders Germany to war against the Bolsheviks. After consultation with his generals it is decided the war will commence on July 4th.
The Italian war in Yugoslavia has come to an abrupt end as Italy’s new panzer divisions have smashed organised resistance. Although he had planned to continue the war into Greece, his generals convince Benito Mussolini that the continuing partisan attacks should delay any move on Greece until the partisans are crushed.
In Australia the army and airforce have been gutted by arms sales to Japan. All 600 of the airforce’s FA-1 and 300 of the FA-2 aircraft have been sold to Japan along with 600 of the army’s MFV’s and 300 pieces of 203mm towed artillery.
The proceeds of the sale of this equipment will go to the purchase of the new equipment ordered the previous year.
The Fokker Aircraft Company’s JF-1 jet fighter has been approved for production and 600 aircraft are ordered to replace those sold to Japan.
The Fokker JE-001 jet engine is the leader of the field as it was developed using the best ideas from both Germany and England. This engine weighed 950kg with two turbines and afterburner. Although larger than the engines used in the Me262 it produces 1500kg of thrust. This allows the JF-1 jet fighter a maximum speed of 620mph or 990km/h at 8000m and a maximum service ceiling of 13000m.
In other Australian news the incorporation of the various islands into the Commonwealth is progressing well with one noticeable exception. The inhabitants of Bougainville and their relatives on the Solomon Islands have been agitating to be reunited. Australia offers to include the Solomon in the islands’ territory that is being organised for eventual entry as a state as long as the United Kingdom agrees with their inclusion. This focuses the attention of the islanders on the UK and away from Australia.

1946: Germany’s attack on the USSR has been a raging success. German units in the north managed to encircle Leningrad and liberate the Baltic States. By the end of the year German forces of Army Group North are closing a ring of steel around Moscow. The central and southern Army Groups have raced forward initially against little opposition and such is the success of these drives that unless Soviet forces are withdrawn from the east the Germans will reach the Ural mountains by the middle to next year.
In Australia the Fokker Aircraft Company has the JF-1 jet fighter in full production. Such is the demand for the jet engines that both Mercedes-Benz and a newly formed BMW Australia have licensed the rights to build these engines for both internal and export markets. One of the surprise purchasers of these engines is the US who has finally decided to start building jet aircraft.
The Soviets in a last ditch effort manage to break out of the Japanese encirclement and rush westwards to try and stop the Germans form capturing any more of their European territories. The result of this effort is that the Soviets effectively cede control of Northern China and Vladivostok to the Japanese.
America seeing the potential dismemberment of the Soviet Union commences the sale of large quantities of military equipment in the hope of slowing the German and Japanese advances.
England’s colonial troubles are starting to cause serious strain on their military and finances the Solomon Islands have descended into a war zone with any non native being a fair target. In Africa, the Royal army is deployed in an attempt to prevent Germany or Italy gaining more territory. On top of these troubles is the increasing racial tensions in South Africa along with that countries increasingly friendly relations with Germany.
Australia is now in transition as the new states have put tremendous strain on its economy. The new schools and medical clinics are absorbing a large percentage of resources yet this must be done to prevent them falling back into their old tribal conflicts. The various government ministers are meeting to discuss the allocation of resources at the end of this meeting it is decided that the children of the new state will receive the bulk of the educational resources. The general consensus is if the children are educated to current western standards they will be able to assist administering their states and in time will form not only their own governments but also most of Australia’s. As the cost of the incorporating the new states is increasing a decision is made to stop all future naval construction for the next ten years while encouraging investment and development of resources will continue. In a closing statement the Prime Minister tells parliament that although the road ahead is difficult the rewards of successful integration of the new states far out weigh the short term cost.