An Age of Miracles: The Revival of Rhomanion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannabis becoming very widespread in the Roman Empire will change the perception of the drug relative to OTL. Possibly to the extent that it may replace tobacco TTL, with the latter filling the sphere vacated by cannabis.

The lethargy cannabis create in its smokers will give to interesting debates about the effects of the drug however.

OOC: Having to look up all OTL earthquakes everywhere and make sure they happen exactly the same ITTL does not sound like fun. It sounds tedious and boring. .

um... really? i would think of it as interesting to see the effects on the already alternate timeline.

the upcoming Chinese earthquake for example. that, right there, is the opperturnity to do some major changes to the region.

um... really? i would think of it as interesting to see the effects on the already alternate timeline.

the upcoming Chinese earthquake for example. that, right there, is the opperturnity to do some major changes to the region.

And I disagree. If the OTL 1509 earthquake happened ITTL, it would've gotten a short paragraph to the effect of 'earthquake killed X people' and then moved on. It wouldn't have been relevant to the storyline in the slightest bit, and it would just be a small piece of the TL that nobody comments on and even I forget exist. Why should I waste my time researching and writing that bit up? I already have my entire recreational reading devoted to researching stuff for this TL.

Also for example, the 1556 Shaanxi quake. I don't need it to do some major changes to the region. I have had the major changes outlined since the Tieh started, and I've already been building towards them.

And I'm no geologist, but I don't see why a slightly different blast pattern in a mine might slightly shift a tectonic plate. Sure, it would be an absolutely minuscule change at the start, but that's called butterflies.

Why not butterfly earthquakes instead into when and where you want?

That's what I'm doing. Like I said, the 1509 earthquake would have been completely irrelevant. It'd be a tiny zit on Andreas Niketas' face in his declining years, but of no historical importance. The TTL 1535 quake on the other hand can and is of major historical importance because of its effects on political events.

OOC: I chose a quake for a natural disaster because I haven't used it yet. Plague just happened, and major fires are becoming a bit of a cliche ITTL.

Speaking for myself - and this is just my own opinion, not an attempt to change yours - major fires are a regular thing, though. Even if they're kind of cliche, they're also kind of normal.

Plus, many casualties from earthquakes may well be fire related, although describing it as "an earthquake" is a nice break from the writer's point of view.

As for earthquakes and such occuring at times other than OTL - I don't know enough about 'em to say. But I find it very bizarre that people can insist that butterflies will mean that a butterfly flapping its wings will cause immediate changes worldwide in all human societies, but can't have the tiniest impact on earthquakes.

And I disagree. If the OTL 1509 earthquake happened ITTL, it would've gotten a short paragraph to the effect of 'earthquake killed X people' and then moved on.

No. that earthquake was right on top of Constantinople. it looked extremely minor, despite it being 7.2 magnitude. that would do some serious damage if the right people died.

Basileus, I must disagree with you about the earthquake. Human actions at that point could have no effect on causing or changing significant geologic events. It is only in the past 10 years with the advent of hydraulic fracturing that human activity can cause even a very small very localized earthquake to happen.

This is the only thing in your excellent timeline that is completely impossible.

Keep up the good work.

I have a bit of trouble believig that the difference in mining patterns could stave off an earthquake for upwards of two decades (I mean, these are still medieval tech mines for the most part), but I neither know enough about them nor feel strongly enough to care, given how much I'm sure that this will add to the story compared to the forgotten 1509 one. On the other hand, I think I should start looking these up for my TL, as a quick glance at wiki tells me that I missed a major one in Rhodes in 1481:eek:

To make an understatement I'm not a fan of the earthquake thing, while I can understand the reason behind not researching every single one of them (who cares), I don't think making them up is a good idea.

A fire, while maybe clichè, it's the most likely.... the money's crunch can make maintenance of things to decay and that's makes fires even more likely.

I don't think the TL will suffer in any way if you went "clichè" and about that point I would point to your own words which are in Dragos Cel Mare's signature.

Last edited:
Fine, whatever.

Unfortunately ma’joun is not the only thing to arrive in Constantinople late that year. On December 9 a fire begins in Constantinople, started by Muslim fanatics, which soon rages out of control. Sweeping through the large urban slums that have grown up in the last century, it kills over a hundred thousand people. It is far more devastating than the last natural disaster, the earthquake of 1509, which has absolutely no historical significance. Constantinople’s population of 491,000 in 1525 is now 322,000.

Prince Theodoros, visiting the grave of his parents, is heavily injured by a panicked crowd just outside the mausoleum. The only reason he is not killed is the elephant, rhinoceros, and bear accompanying him tear into the crowd, leaving sixteen dead.

Fine, whatever.

Unfortunately ma’joun is not the only thing to arrive in Constantinople late that year. On December 9 a fire begins in Constantinople, started by Muslim fanatics, which soon rages out of control. Sweeping through the large urban slums that have grown up in the last century, it kills over a hundred thousand people. It is far more devastating than the last natural disaster, the earthquake of 1509, which has absolutely no historical significance. Constantinople’s population of 491,000 in 1525 is now 322,000.

Prince Theodoros, visiting the grave of his parents, is heavily injured by a panicked crowd just outside the mausoleum. The only reason he is not killed is the elephant, rhinoceros, and bear accompanying him tear into the crowd, leaving sixteen dead.

Is the Basileus annoyed? Also, is that on its own, or have you edited a recent update?

I lol'd:D

filler

:D:p

Now, I was looking up historical earthquakes and I found one which may be interesting.

The 1570 Ferrara earthquake seems important 'cause it lead to the "drafting of some of the first-known building designs based on a scientific seismic-resistant approach" (in particular it's interesting the part on Logorio's work).

If we look at the current set up the roman empire presence would lead to more open research, but also the milanese (if they get their hands on Romagna) would be an improvement over the OTL's italian cultural environment of the period.

Last edited:
Nice going, guys. You've pissed off Basileus. :p

You know, Theodoros is the most legitimate claimant to the throne other than the Mad Empress. It is, of course, such a shame that he was injured... *cough* assassination attempt *cough*

I don't think I like the Spanish Alliance, if only because I'm still gunning for the Kingdom of Arles-Aragon. Give back the Catalonian clay!

E: I just realized, since the Turks have no longer blobbed into the Balkans, does that mean this video has been butterflied?!?!?!

Nice going, guys. You've pissed off Basileus. :p

You know, Theodoros is the most legitimate claimant to the throne other than the Mad Empress. It is, of course, such a shame that he was injured... *cough* assassination attempt *cough*

Speaking for myself, I just wanted to share my own perspective, I didn't have a problem with his decision.

And if someone has tried to get Theodoros killed . . .

Yeah, that makes more sense than it should. Especially with it clear that Theodoros is not entirely stupid.

Then again, I was just saying the first thing that came to mind. How exactly was Theodoros injured before the earthquake was removed? I mean, it most likely was NOT a set-up, although there's plenty reason to think otherwise. Theodoros is getting old.

Speaking for myself, I just wanted to share my own perspective, I didn't have a problem with his decision.

Ditto, although I rather like the new version all the same (aside from the mention of the 1509 quake:p). It helps build upon Alexia's negative reputation.

Even if humanity had no effect on geological events, I doubt that the time and place are fully deterministic. If that were the case, wouldn't we be able to predict geological events better than today?

Status
Not open for further replies.